Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5661
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:00 pm

My overall point is that they haven't really given the show much of a chance, if one of their first and foremost critiques is that the lead actors wig and eye contacts aren't realistic. Whatever.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:43 pm
P.D.X. wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:36 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 am
And I just read that review. Kind of fuck those two? One just watched the pilot and the other watched two episodes and skimmed through ep. 5 to view an orgy scene.
Exactly. Anyone can pan a fantasy movie/series; the ridiculousness is baked into the genre. You can take their same critique angles and make LOTR sound laughable.
I might have to re-read the review but I didn't get the impression that's what they were doing. There was an acknowledgment that the genre is expected to not be realistic, but even given that the material was still kind of laughable (according to them). And if I understood correctly, I think that's fair.

In other words, you can invent a world, but that world still needs to have some rules. You can't spend five hours on the LOTR trilogy and then all of the sudden Frodo discovers he knows how to fly now and drops the ring in Mount Doom that way. (I haven't seen the show, so I'm not suggesting anything as ridiculous as that is happening), but the overall critique that you can still judge a fantasy show based on the world in the show is fair.
I'm referring mostly to their above-the-genre attitude. They spend a lot of print space on hair color and the silly names of things, which again, can be lofted at anything in the genre. And parallel plots that don't intersect until later in the series? The horror! And I'm pretty sure they critiqued the bard for being bad and annoying when his character is, in fact, supposed to be bad and annoying.

Anyway, I'm on like Ep 5 and it does have plenty of laughable moments (did they really saddle the main character with the catchphrase of "Fuck."?), but it's far from the worst things that Netflix has put its logo on.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11624
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:37 pm
John Mulaney's "Sack Lunch Bunch" is one of the strangest things you'll see.

Liked it very much.
Just started this, right as the edibles are kicking into high gear. This is looking wacky as fuck.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5661
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am

The Witcher is doing quite well in the download game. By some metrics, surpassing The Mandolorian this week (though, if it's just raw downloads, that's obviously a goofy number given how new Disney+ is).

It's also quite telling (to me) that critics have it something like 59 percent on Rotten Tomatoes while the audience is above 90 percent.

Whenever I see something like that, I'm pretty sure the critics are just being snobs and/or getting on some kind of social justice bullshit crusade. (Usually they overhype something like Ghostbusters, where a group of women takes over as leads. Sometimes they get it right with a movie like Black Panther, but that's just dumb luck most of the time.)

I don't mean to come off as a Fox News moron, but I have a real issue with the fucked up group think and posturing of movie critics. I've grown to pretty much ignore them and focus on audience data when it's available.

Totally off topic, but I have a strict rule of not paying attention to critical review of Star Wars movies and barely dipped into the criticism of GOT. I just don't think people can be even mildly objective when franchises/shows get that big. Way too many hidden agendas.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Caught the first two episodes of that Messiah show that started on 1/1. Seems pretty good. Kind of a Homeland ripoff of sorts, but very well done.
Image

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5661
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Yep, that's in the queue.


I love typing that word.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by EdRomero » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:31 pm

Bojack was so fucking good..and devastatingly depressing as I'm drinking too much watch the series end. One of my favorite tv experiences.

degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 8985
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by degenerasian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:25 pm

First Chinese drama to air simultaneously in China and on Netflix is Handsome Siblings.

It's really good if you want to try something different. I'm up to Episode 20.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80996973
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Finally watched American Factory and it’s hard to come away feeling like it’s basically a horror movie about how fucked the United States is and how badly this country has declined.
Image

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:03 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm
Finally watched American Factory and it’s hard to come away feeling like it’s basically a horror movie about how fucked the United States is and how badly this country has declined.
Agree. It is a really good doc.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 pm

BoJack comment
[+] spoiler
The way they paid off the gag on Mr. Peanutbutter’s issue with signs was nothing short of genius.

And the honeydew gag.
Image

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Tom Papa's show "You're Doing Great" is really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11624
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm
Tom Papa's show "You're Doing Great" is really good.
Agreed. He is just such a likable guy. I love when he is on Rogan's podcast. Even listened to him on Bert Kreisher's. An unusual special with a theme of a positive message of affirmation is what we all need right now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm

We watched 'Groundhog Day' last night (my kids had never seen it). What a great movie.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by A_B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm
We watched 'Groundhog Day' last night (my kids had never seen it). What a great movie.
You’re a monster. I’m almost on the ex wife’s side for you making them wait so long.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:26 pm

A_B wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm
We watched 'Groundhog Day' last night (my kids had never seen it). What a great movie.
You’re a monster. I’m almost on the ex wife’s side for you making them wait so long.
My kids aren't really into watching movies. I think watching the hour-long shows on Netflix has really messed with their attention span. Having them sit for 2 hours watching a movie is a tough ask.

degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 8985
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by degenerasian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:26 pm
A_B wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm
We watched 'Groundhog Day' last night (my kids had never seen it). What a great movie.
You’re a monster. I’m almost on the ex wife’s side for you making them wait so long.
My kids aren't really into watching movies. I think watching the hour-long shows on Netflix has really messed with their attention span. Having them sit for 2 hours watching a movie is a tough ask.
Just split it in half. Intermission!
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:56 pm

Sunderland Til I Die Season 2 comes out next Wednesday (April 1)
Image

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by cerrano » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:30 pm

"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm

This Tiger King show is fuckin’ nuts.
Image

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by EdRomero » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:51 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm
This Tiger King show is fuckin’ nuts.
It's so fucking good. Just finished it.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by P.D.X. » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 pm

Samesies.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

I've heard the first two podcast episodes.

I'll have to watch the show. It is insanity...

ETA: Watched the first two episodes and my jaw is still dropped.

Just, wow.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by sancarlos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 pm

I’m through 5 episodes. Each person is worse than the one before
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
GoodKarma
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by GoodKarma » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

I decided what the hell and started Tiger King last night...cut myself off after three episodes or else I was going to be up all night. Holy cow you all are right.

I was watching something else earlier this week (I can't remember but it was another documentary) and now Tiger King has further cemented this position: Few things are more dangerous than stupid people with money
I have no sympathy for someone that walks under a flock of birds and is surprised when they end up with shit on their face.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DaveInSeattle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 am

Season 2 of 'Sunderland Til I Die' comes out tomorrow.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4947
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 am

GoodKarma wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
I was watching something else earlier this week (I can't remember but it was another documentary) and now Tiger King has further cemented this position: Few things are more dangerous than stupid people with money
Was it a presidential press conference?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

download.png
download.png (217.21 KiB) Viewed 339 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
GoodKarma
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by GoodKarma » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 am
GoodKarma wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
I was watching something else earlier this week (I can't remember but it was another documentary) and now Tiger King has further cemented this position: Few things are more dangerous than stupid people with money
Was it a presidential press conference?
I remember now...it was the McMillions documentary on HBO.
I have no sympathy for someone that walks under a flock of birds and is surprised when they end up with shit on their face.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11624
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

GoodKarma wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
I decided what the hell and started Tiger King last night...cut myself off after three episodes or else I was going to be up all night. Holy cow you all are right.

I was watching something else earlier this week (I can't remember but it was another documentary) and now Tiger King has further cemented this position: Few things are more dangerous than stupid people with money
I watched the first episode. Looking at the people at the zoo, let alone the workers, it's easy to see how Trump can become President.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4947
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 pm

GoodKarma wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 am
GoodKarma wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
I was watching something else earlier this week (I can't remember but it was another documentary) and now Tiger King has further cemented this position: Few things are more dangerous than stupid people with money
Was it a presidential press conference?
I remember now...it was the McMillions documentary on HBO.
I was just going for the joke, but this works.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 am

Late last night I watched the ZZ Top documentary. And, even though I'm not a huge fan, it was really good! Worth checking out!


Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 11030
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Johnnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am

Yea, Tiger King was batshit insane. Kind of trailed off in the last couple episodes and had a bit of wonky editing (ex: the campaign manager switching between having a beard and not having a beard), but damn it was a ride.

I hated basically all of those people.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

Johnnie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am
Yea, Tiger King was batshit insane. Kind of trailed off in the last couple episodes and had a bit of wonky editing (ex: the campaign manager switching between having a beard and not having a beard), but damn it was a ride.

I hated basically all of those people.
Was like taking a visit to my old hometown.
Image

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 11030
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Johnnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:19 pm

brian wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am
Johnnie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am
Yea, Tiger King was batshit insane. Kind of trailed off in the last couple episodes and had a bit of wonky editing (ex: the campaign manager switching between having a beard and not having a beard), but damn it was a ride.

I hated basically all of those people.
Was like taking a visit to my old hometown.
You from 'down river'? (Sorry. That's the extent of my Michigan questionable area knowledge.)

Also, hilarious:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Downriver is pretty trashy to be sure though not the trashiest part of metro Detroit (that would probably be either Redford Township or Warren).

Sadly, rural western Michigan is exponentially even worse.

(And the rural areas in northern Michigan by where I went to college is worse even yet.)
Image

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 11030
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Johnnie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:08 pm

I bet every state has that rural white trash section. And they all seem to have the same accent. It's weird.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 pm

brian wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:00 pm
Downriver is pretty trashy to be sure though not the trashiest part of metro Detroit (that would probably be either Redford Township or Warren).

Sadly, rural western Michigan is exponentially even worse.

(And the rural areas in northern Michigan by where I went to college is worse even yet.)
But that's where "Joe Pera Talks To You" is set...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7358
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by govmentchedda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm

The Marquette iron range!
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:33 pm

OK, not being pedantic but have to mention (and I DO realize) this makes no sense but the Upper Peninsula (UP) is not northern Michigan (despite the fact that Northern Michigan University is in Marquette, which is in the UP.

Like I said, confusing. Michiganders differentiate between the UP and northern Michigan so northern Michigan means the northern Lower Peninsula and we will refer to anything in the UP as the UP.

This has been today’s Michigan geography lesson.
Image

Post Reply