Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian »

NLFC will back me up on this. As might Giff’s wife.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:33 pm OK, not being pedantic but have to mention (and I DO realize) this makes no sense but the Upper Peninsula (UP) is not northern Michigan (despite the fact that Northern Michigan University is in Marquette, which is in the UP.

Like I said, confusing. Michiganders differentiate between the UP and northern Michigan so northern Michigan means the northern Lower Peninsula and we will refer to anything in the UP as the UP.

This has been today’s Michigan geography lesson.
My second cousins went to Tech.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 pm
brian wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:33 pm OK, not being pedantic but have to mention (and I DO realize) this makes no sense but the Upper Peninsula (UP) is not northern Michigan (despite the fact that Northern Michigan University is in Marquette, which is in the UP.

Like I said, confusing. Michiganders differentiate between the UP and northern Michigan so northern Michigan means the northern Lower Peninsula and we will refer to anything in the UP as the UP.

Really good school. A buddy of mine started a software company after going there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:43 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Really good school. A buddy of mine started a software company after going there.
Two brothers. One lives in Wyoming now, and does something in energy, maybe fracking related. The other was a high school drama teacher outside of Detroit before committing suicide a few years back.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just read this. The owner of those alligators that died in the fire?

Michael Jackson's

You think they would've mentioned that.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:40 pm Just read this. The owner of those alligators that died in the fire?

Michael Jackson's

You think they would've mentioned that.
Michael Jackson: "See ya later, alligators!"
Gators: "In a while, pedophile!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am Yea, Tiger King was batshit insane. Kind of trailed off in the last couple episodes and had a bit of wonky editing (ex: the campaign manager switching between having a beard and not having a beard), but damn it was a ride.

I hated basically all of those people.
I was rooting for the Liger when he started dragging Joe Exotic around, when he claimed someone put cologne on his shoes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Felt compelled to start Tiger King after everyone here (and everyone else) raved about it.

"The monkey people are kind of weird, but the big cat people are pieces of shit."

Ok, you got me.

e: Also this director has the most "I am from California" voice I've ever heard.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 pm Felt compelled to start Tiger King after everyone here (and everyone else) raved about it.

"The monkey people are kind of weird, but the big cat people are pieces of shit."

Ok, you got me.

e: Also this director has the most "I am from California" voice I've ever heard.
Slight confession. I loved the first 3 episodes, but somewhere around the 4th, I kind of stopped caring and just wanted to get through it. Crazy characters. There were enough moments in the final 4 episodes that made it worth watching (like the funeral).
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The last two episodes were not very good at all
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't know that there is a "perfect" tweet...but this is on is pretty good:

For lomes: Use your phone or something, I don't know.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Even though I have no interest in motor sports, I've gotten sucked into the 'Formula 1: Drive to survive'. I've got one episode left of season 1, and its really interesting.

Bronto: From watching this, it seems like every race just has an enormous cock-up in the first turn after the start. Why don't they do a rolling start like Indy Car or Nascar? Just tradition?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Oh man
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finished the second season of the Formula 1 show last night. Its really good! Worth watching, even with no interest in motor sports.

I did get a chuckle out of the 'coming up next season', all the drivers/team leaders saying 'next year is going to be like nothing you've ever seen before!'. They had no idea how right they were.

Trivia fact: The team leader for Red Bull is married to Ginger Spice (Geri Halliwell) from the Spice Girls.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I, too, have zero interest in any kind of racing and absolutely love that show. They just do a very good job of ratcheting up the tension and getting you to care about (not always in a positive way) the drivers and team managers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:22 pm I, too, have zero interest in any kind of racing and absolutely love that show. They just do a very good job of ratcheting up the tension and getting you to care about (not always in a positive way) the drivers and team managers.
I used to work for a guy (down to the Swiss-German accent) almost exactly like the team leader for Haas. This guy:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like Jim Harbaugh if you left him out in the sun for a couple of months.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:34 pm Looks like Jim Harbaugh if you left him out in the sun for a couple of months.
He's got the perfect mix of sarcasm and passive-aggresive behavior.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Got around to watching the Aaron Hernandez documentary.

I completely forgot about his sexuality being a topic of discussion and it being possibly used as a motive to why Odin Lloyd was murdered. There were definitely parts of this story that are just so weird.

I did get a chuckle when they were like "We've never had an athlete during his career go out and kill people then committing playing the next season." And it's like uhhhh, you're showing this dude get tackled by Ray Lewis in the "he's getting concussions" part of the story.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I watched The Bill Murray Stories today. Really enjoyed it. Great stories, and more depth to the film than I thought would be possible
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show
Just got the Amazon prime yesterday and watched the first three episodes.

Outstanding show - so much fun.
We were told by a (disappointed) neighbor that our house made the newest season of this show. Some kind of car scene. And there's a beer garden scene that's at the end of our street and ruined everyone's lives because we realized just how cool it would be to have a beer garden in that space.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 am
Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show

We were told by a (disappointed) neighbor that our house made the newest season of this show. Some kind of car scene. And there's a beer garden scene that's at the end of our street and ruined everyone's lives because we realized just how cool it would be to have a beer garden in that space.
I should point out that the second season became grating and dumb and we never watched the 3rd season.

That is all.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I couldn't stand it. Hard to suspend disbelief when watching a show about a comedian who isn't funny.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But ... I don't want to watch the whole show, just someone tell me the exact minute to look for.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I couldn't get into that show.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Good to hear. I was going to try it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:51 am
mister d wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 am

I should point out that the second season became grating and dumb and we never watched the 3rd season.

That is all.
I liked Season 1, heard from several people season 2 was boring, so I haven't gotten back to it. So many great shows out there, can't waste time on one that isn't worth it.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerry Seinfeld's new stand up show is okay.

First half of it is pretty lame, but it picks up a bit after that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:56 pm Jerry Seinfeld's new stand up show is okay.

First half of it is pretty lame, but it picks up a bit after that.
Saw a relatively scathing review of it (in Haaretz, of all places). It sounds like a lot of what I saw him do in Vegas a few years back, or at least, my reaction was similar to the author's. Oiler fucking loved the show though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure I want to listen to a litany of grievances from a billionaire.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm Not sure I want to listen to a litany of grievances from a billionaire.
That was exactly my complaint (as well as the Haaretz writer). He adds in some smugness as well.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like Comedians in Cars... Obviously guest dependent, but it's nice to see him in a more casual slightly less scripted situation.

My take on him is that he's on the spectrum and just has a really tough time with empathy (in a weird way.) Like, he gets human emotions, but I not in the gut, but in a more academic sense.

The point is that he's not a warm/fuzzy guy, so his act can start to wear thin. I mean, ALL comedians are pretty dark, regardless of their acts. But there are guys that are acerbic and sharp, but you still feel their humanity. I'm thinking Gaffigan and Oswalt.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:17 pm
brian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm Not sure I want to listen to a litany of grievances from a billionaire.
That was exactly my complaint (as well as the Haaretz writer). He adds in some smugness as well.
Yeah - he had some good lines about dealing with his wife, but his attempts at identifying with the audience did not work.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:19 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:17 pm
Yeah - he had some good lines about dealing with his wife, but his attempts at identifying with the audience did not work.
I give it a 7.5/10. It was entertaining. Reminded me a lot of Ellen's most recent return where they kind of just steer in to the skid of "yes, I'm far far wealthier than you, but just go with me here and let's have some laughs." The stuff about marriage was well crafted.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

By the last season, I was basically hate watching Coffee and Cars. The good episodes were when people challenged him basically saying what the fuck is wrong with you. Wish I could remember more specifics, but there was some special where Seinfeld went on; he didn't bomb but he wasn't good either. Then someone later in the night, went up and completely mocked him. For as much as Seinfeld is a proponent for the art of stand up comedy, I think most comedians right now do not like him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

"Whaaaaats the deal with private jet pilots?"

Nonlinear FC wrote:My take on him is that he's on the spectrum and just has a really tough time with empathy (in a weird way.) Like, he gets human emotions, but I not in the gut, but in a more academic sense.

The point is that he's not a warm/fuzzy guy, so his act can start to wear thin. I mean, ALL comedians are pretty dark, regardless of their acts. But there are guys that are acerbic and sharp, but you still feel their humanity. I'm thinking Gaffigan and Oswalt.
That's a really good take. I'm not going to diagnose him, but that makes sense. His observations are on a surface, logical level. They are insightful and he is a brilliant writer, but he does lack a depth of humanity in his standup.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I guess I'd be shocked if his series finale didn't literally have him in jail for not being a humanitarian 22 years ago.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Similarly, I really think Kate MacKinnon is amazing. Watched her episode of Breakfast Lunch Dinner with Dave Chang and I couldn't stand her. She doesn't seem to have an off switch.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm Similarly, I really think Kate MacKinnon is amazing. Watched her episode of Breakfast Lunch Dinner with Dave Chang and I couldn't stand her. She doesn't seem to have an off switch.
She's very grating on SNL recently. Might be time to let the younger women step forward.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm Similarly, I really think Kate MacKinnon is amazing. Watched her episode of Breakfast Lunch Dinner with Dave Chang and I couldn't stand her. She doesn't seem to have an off switch.
She's very grating on SNL recently. Might be time to let the younger women step forward.
I’d agree except you’re wrong and the younger ladies are not funny, comparatively.

They all have good moments but mckinnon is the most consistent.