Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by brian »

Most of our bonuses are tied to sales until we had a quarter that blew the structure they setup out of the water. Everyone in the company should have gotten a quarterly bonus of about 23 percent of their quarterly salary and they decided they wouldn't pay and gave everyone 10 percent instead. Sales guys got their commissions though.

And now I'm stuck doing all the work for all of the customers that got brought in during that time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't know where I'll work or live quite yet, but a 20 year pension from the military plus my VA rating will be a nice cushion to whatever shitty civilian job I end up slaving within.

At least I'll be able to have facial hair.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: At least I'll be able to have facial hair.
In theory
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

I'll Bitch!

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

My boss is leaving his position. I am 100% qualified for his job and am, in fact, the only qualified internal candidate.

I'm a reasonably ambitious person. 14 years in essentially the same position is getting old. However, taking the promotion would mean moving out of my union and freezing my pension at 16 years of service. That means I can't draw on my pension until I'm 60 (instead of 50 if I stay in my current position) and the pension amount is dramatically lowered.

The posted salary range tops out at $2k more than I made last year. Seriously?

Guess I'll just stay where I am 10 more years. Grrrr.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If nothing else, that's evidence of the power of unions to ensure fair wages.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Having lived in Europe I had to be very particular in buying a tv that was dual voltage so I could bring it back stateside. I got a Sony that I was told had European and American signal. It did, but I find, just recently, it didn't have ATSC (digital) signal, just NTSC. I didn't realize there was a difference. This was 2013. Fuck you, Sony rep at the BX.

So fast forward to now. It dawned on me that I can get some free digital over the air channels and I get a top rated antenna at a good price. Well, I thought that was all I needed for channels. Nope. This is where I have to dig to realize that the lack of a digital tuner means I have to get one.

Best Buy has nada and Radio Shack has a tuner that doesn't have HDMI. The guy behind the counter is adamant that I need some $70 converter and I won't get HD. Nope. I bought this for less than $30 and everything works excellently. That guy was a fucking moron.

Why are people so bad at their jobs? This is why I stick to doing my own research and getting everything cheaper online.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
Why are people so bad at their jobs? This is why I stick to doing my own research and getting everything cheaper online.
Because they are getting paid $8.00 to work in a retail store. Or maybe the causation is reversed.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Prefaced with the fact that I know this comes off as a humblebrag but it's not, I'm honestly just frustrated.

Went to the grocery last night with the g/f. Meandered around, got all of our stuff we needed (a fair amount, we hadn't been in almost 2 weeks), and get up to the register. We get behind this older couple, the man is wearing a UAW workshirt and is with his wife, I'd guess them about 70 years old. Well they check out and the wife writes a check(why???) and the machine won't take it. Cashier tries 3 times. He gets his phone out and shows the manager that the money is in the account and even matches the account number up on the check. Manager says there's nothing they can do.

Lines are getting a little out of control, it's a Sunday evening skeleton crew. This couple has all their groceries in the cart, bagged up, and have really been quite respectful through this process, just understandably frustrated. So I pulled out my card and paid for their groceries. $184. It's not the end of the world. I tell the guy not to worry about it, that these things happen and to have a nice evening. He insists on getting my info, so I write my cell phone on the back of the receipt and give it to him. He says he'll call me in the morning once it's straightened out and get me my money back. I tell him it's not a big deal, just if he gets the chance that would be great.

We check out, get all our stuff loaded and leave. Him and his wife are in their car outside waiting on us and he comes by our car and thanks me again, and promises he will call me first thing in the morning and he really appreciated it.

12:45pm as of now. No call.

I don't even care. I was ready to just do the nice pay it forward thing. But why get my hopes up and tell me you'll make it right when you didn't intend to?

Maybe he lost the receipt. Maybe he got called into work early. I'm trying not to let it bug me but I just wanted to vent.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why didn't they just write you a check then and there?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:Why didn't they just write you a check then and there?
This.

But, nonetheless, good on you for helping them out, BSF. I'll drink one to you, tonight.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I did the same thing for a guy once. He drove to the ATM right after and got me the cash. And I am with the others, why didn't he just write you a check?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh wait. When you say they couldn't take the check, it's not like it was an equipment failure...you're saying it was declining it basically. I guess that would mek it less likely for you want a check.

And really, who doesn't have a credit card for just that scenario? I don't like to have a lot of balance on my cards, but in that situation I'd have no hesitation to pay it and figure it out later.
Last edited by A_B on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:Why didn't they just write you a check then and there?
I suppose that was an option. I wasn't thinking and they were frazzled too. I have a hard time believing it's a con. If that were the case why load up almost 200$ worth of stuff? It's not like they're going to let you out of there with it and I'm guessing getting someone to cover you has an incredibly low probability of success. Also they were older folks. Anyway. I just feel a little fleeced because I got my hopes up they'd make it right. Hopefully they'll do something nice for someone else if they lost my info. I'm gonna try not to think about it and maybe I'll get a happy surprise later.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Guy just called me. Lives in the neighborhood across the street from me and is dropping by tomorrow to pay me back. Good things do happen.

/unrant

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This week...

– Finally had on offer accepted on a condo after looking for almost a year {~5 offers made} only to have it fall apart when a condition arose that nullified my loan
– Got some unfortunate health news that ruins my holiday feasting plans
– Election
- Getting violent food poisoning on Wednesday, making me miss one of my most-anticipated shows of the year (Caspian)
- Girl I've been dating for ~6 months suddenly seems entirely disinterested
– Leonard Cohen

Still I rise!

(seriously though, Nats are going to lose like 3-0 this evening)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Different lender not an option?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:Different lender not an option?
Nah. It was a non-warrantable* loan and they're the only local bank/credit union that offers them.

*The condition that arose was that one person owned a majority of the units in the complex, which triggers a requirement for a 20% downpayment
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I've been a little bit sick for most of December and November. Not in horrible shape, just colds/bronchitis that won't go away and keep me from feeling good and doing much. I'm fucking tired of it. i received great bottles of rye, bourbon and beer for Christmas, and I really don't feel up to enjoying them. (Though, hot toddys are good and also helpful.) Normally, I go all year long without being sick at all, and now I can't get better. So ready to feel better.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm at my layover in Shannon, Ireland. There's a bar with all the goodies. I was looking forward to a Guinness en route to the desert.

But no, the troop commander made drinking alcohol off limits. I've been awake since 3 am and time with cat naps in between. I was looking forward to just 1 beer.

I seriously can't fucking wait to be retired. This may seem small, but it's little shit like this that builds up over time. No matter how old you get while in the military you're never an adult.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Thanks for your service.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie some private businessses don't let you drink on their time either.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie, I’m having a Trillium (DDH Melcher) right now thinking of you!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yes. I too am toasting Johnnie as I drink a refreshing ale!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm having a drink for every time zone Johnnie crossed today.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm Johnnie some private businessses don't let you drink on their time either.
Suckers
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You're all welcome for my service. Every last fucking one of you.

:)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am
A_B wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm Johnnie some private businessses don't let you drink on their time either.
Suckers
Yeah, your office holiday party popped up in my Facebook feed. That looks like a much more fun group of people than I ever worked with.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:21 am
P.D.X. wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am
Suckers
Yeah, your office holiday party popped up in my Facebook feed. That looks like a much more fun group of people than I ever worked with.
I can't hang with those kids anymore.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I am so bad at scheduling myself. I may have seen my last NFL game of this season. Can't fucking believe it.

Back in early December, my mother proposes that she fly out sometime early in the new year - she can get some time at our home with my daughter, while my wife and I can take a couple days to get away alone somewhere like the wine country. That sounds great, and I leave it to my wife and mum to work out dates. They say, how about we go up to Sonoma, Sunday-Tuesday Jan 21-23? Book her flight and book the room? Yeah sure, whatever. That sounds fine...

I'm a fan of old movies, especially Film Noir from the 1940s and early 1950s. The San Francisco Noir Film Festival is coming soon, at a beautiful old theatre. The wife suggests we go to a weekend matinee double feature. It's Feb 4. Let's buy the tickets. Will that work? Yeah, sure!

Now, I'm going to enjoy those things. But, for chrissakes, I could have done them on different dates. Now I'm locked in.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

(NFL games are live on yahoo app this weekend at least)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 pm (NFL games are live on yahoo app this weekend at least)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 am You're all welcome for my service. Every last fucking one of you.

:)
What do you mean "you," Kemosabe?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 pm I am so bad at scheduling myself. I may have seen my last NFL game of this season. Can't fucking believe it.

Back in early December, my mother proposes that she fly out sometime early in the new year - she can get some time at our home with my daughter, while my wife and I can take a couple days to get away alone somewhere like the wine country. That sounds great, and I leave it to my wife and mum to work out dates. They say, how about we go up to Sonoma, Sunday-Tuesday Jan 21-23? Book her flight and book the room? Yeah sure, whatever. That sounds fine...

I'm a fan of old movies, especially Film Noir from the 1940s and early 1950s. The San Francisco Noir Film Festival is coming soon, at a beautiful old theatre. The wife suggests we go to a weekend matinee double feature. It's Feb 4. Let's buy the tickets. Will that work? Yeah, sure!

Now, I'm going to enjoy those things. But, for chrissakes, I could have done them on different dates. Now I'm locked in.
DVR, man! Watch when you get home, FF commercials and injuries, and time when they are running down the clock, and you can get a game watched in under an hour. It's the only way to watch!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 pm I am so bad at scheduling myself. I may have seen my last NFL game of this season. Can't fucking believe it.

DVR, man! Watch when you get home, FF commercials and injuries, and time when they are running down the clock, and you can get a game watched in under an hour. It's the only way to watch!
Sybian, you were right! Went to SF and had a great time at the Noir City festival. Then, came home and enjoyed the game on DVR. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to avoid any spoilers before watching the recorded game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 pm

Sybian, you were right! Went to SF and had a great time at the Noir City festival. Then, came home and enjoyed the game on DVR. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to avoid any spoilers before watching the recorded game.
You should have listened when I first started preaching this 10 years ago!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:30 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 pm

You should have listened when I first started preaching this 10 years ago!
For years, I've been a huge fan of starting to watch sporting events a bit late, then zipping through commercials. But, I just didn't think it'd be possible to avoid spoilers for the Super Bowl.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I took my girlfriend to Boston over the last 2 weeks to meet my friends and family. She had a blast and everyone loved her.

Of course I primed her to meet my mother. And she definitely got a show one night. After dinner at my sister's in-law's place we were sitting around just chatting and I'm doing my best to keep quiet. Then politics comes up. And of course some chatter about "people coming to this country and getting handouts" was stated that sent me into a rage.

Point blank I said to my mom "Who pays your rent?" (Spoiler alert: the state of Massachusetts via Section 8 ever since before I was born) She looked at me aghast and said "I'm disabled!" I shot back "Before you were disabled the state still paid your rent. That's called a 'handout' so please stop railing against people that need government assistance when you're a person who gets government assistance."

Of course, in natural mom fashion, she feigns indignation and says "I can't believe you attack me like this. You're always so angry with me." I was like "Nope. Not mad at you, but when you say things like that I'm going to say something."

Everything went quiet and the subject changed, but yeah. Same shit again. My best friend basically broke it down to me: "John, at this point it's your fault. You know who and what she is and how she acts. Getting mad at her does nothing but make you look stupid for engaging. Just let it go."

What sucks is that he's also speaking from a position where his mom died a few months ago and he wishes, despite his contentious relationship with her, to have her back. So his words are that of "you only have one Mom." And with my mom going in and out of the hospital multiple times over the last year (she was actually in the hospital when we went to see her on the first night we got in), it's not worth the argument. One day she'll be gone forever.

But I'm stubborn. Her lies and deceit ever since my dad passed is still a sharp wound and being the person she is daily is salt poured in it. It's tough to shake.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:40 am

But I'm stubborn. Her lies and deceit ever since my dad passed is still a sharp wound and being the person she is daily is salt poured in it. It's tough to shake.
Damn. That's some heavy shit. If you are still seeing a therapist, I think this is a fuckton of ripe material to work through. While your friend's advice is good, I totally get why her shit pushes your buttons, and I'm sure it's damned near impossible not to respond.

Stripping away the mountains of baggage you have with your mother, the political argument alone is enough to go off on. I have a FB friend who is the daughter of my former secretary who says shit like that all the time. She collects disability (despite working off the books at a hair salon) based on medical conditions due to insanely heavy drinking. Her liver is so damaged, one drink sends her to the hospital, and she continued to end up in the hospital when I first hired her mother. I know she was on Medicaid, and I know she couldn't keep a job because she'd get fired for drinking on the job and getting carted out in an ambulance. She got pregnant and had a baby, covered by Medicaid. She is still collecting disability (despite working), I'm sure her kid is on SNAP or some child welfare program, and she is probably still on Medicaid and collecting Welfare, yet she periodically posts shit on FaceBook about building a wall because illegals are a drain on society and similar shit. She is a really sweet woman now that she cleaned herself up, but her complete lack of self awareness drives me insane. White Conservatives on Welfare feel like they deserve the handouts, but don't want it for anyone else. I really love when they complain about paying for other peoples stuff when they don't pay taxes, and get subsidized medical care, food, money...
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, it'll be a topic in the next go 'round. I feel like talking to a therapist has been great because I can just talk.

But... I'm not seeing a change within myself or a breakthrough "Eureka!" moment. I'm not sure if that's even supposed to happen. I still feel like I was wronged on my deployment. I still go off on a rant when triggered about a thing. I still feel like in ways I fail despite actually not. I have to keep pausing, go "forget about this, think of the good in your life and realize it's not a big deal," and continue about my day.

I'm in my own head too much and think about stuff constantly. I'm not sure what I can do to knock it except keep going.