Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Rants 2?

Post by phxgators »

That's horrible, but it's good she has you for support. Even from a distance.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm Not sure where else to put this, but my wife has melanoma and I just fucking hate everything.

She went and got a mole removed back at the end of February and the biopsy came back positive with what was initially a 2mm melanoma, but ended up being 1.2mm.

At the end of March I went on emergency leave to assist through her surgery to get the 'sentinel' lymph node removed. That too came back with a 1mm melanoma.

So now it's immunotherapy. I had to come back to Korea, but I'm told it can get curtailed (I'm supposed to be here until November), but I'm waiting for her oncologist to give me some signed documentation for the humanitarian reassignment package. He's taking forever with that.

In the meantime I'm just trying not to cry all the time. She doesn't deserve this. I'm going to remain hopeful. I just hate that my mind keeps wandering into bad thoughts.
Holy shit. I'm so sorry, Johnnie. I'm hopeful that they caught it all early and it will be no biggie.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck, Johnnie.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

With you johnnie. And fuck cancer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good luck man. Great that she went to the dermatologist and it was found. I probably need to get back there soon.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm here for you Johnnie. If you need to talk, my number is in the Stuart Scott thread.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best wishes, Johnnie.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Fk Johnnie - I obviously have nothing eloquent to say other than I feel for you guys, truly. -rob
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Good luck to you and the missus, Johnnie!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thinking positive thoughts for you guys.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn Johnnie, that's rough. I really feel for y'all and will remain hopeful for the best.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Strength to you, Johnnie.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the well wishes. You're all awesome. TWILTS
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just seeing this. Fuck cancer, man.

Positive vibes to you and yours, J.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sames. Sending thoughts.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You’re welcome for my tots and pears.

(But seriously thinking of you and the lady)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Have been looking forward to going to our family reunion for my dad's side of the family in a couple weeks, then taking the wife and kids to see my mom, whom they have not seen since the holidays in 2019.

Then, earlier today, I saw a tweet mentioning a direct correlation by county between vaccine rate and voting for Trump. Knowing that the county where my dad lives (along with many fellow reunion attendees) voted overwhelmingly for him (82%! An increase from the 2016 rate of 79% because you couldn't get enough of those first four years!), I figured it was time to do some research.

40% vaccination rate for the county. The upside (term used loosely) is that it is a very rural area with few people coming into/out of it. Zero cases each the last two weeks, one case in each of the two weeks before that (which easily could have been the same person).

But, of course, my kids aren't old enough to be vaccinated.

And, so, a little while ago, I talked to my sister about the possibility of staying at her place instead of at a hotel for the mom-visiting portion of the trip. Come to find out that she, an employee of the Cleveland Clinic who works in direct contact with cancer patients (in a non-medical role), is not vaccinated. Because "it's had some problems and there's no liability with whomever provides the vaccination" (quote edited to provide as much clarity as possible for a truly moronic statement).

Of course, this also ensures that it's under a 50-50 proposition that any reunion attendee over the age of 13 is vaccinated, especially because the case rates are so low there, many will certainly think there's less reason to get the shot.

So, now I get to decide what to do. To not go at all? To travel and not go to the reunion, but see each parent? To still go, but wear masks and stay away from people?

I mean, I am excited to tell my kids to put on a mask when my sister comes to my dad's house and that they have to maintain social distance from her. No, really, that is actual upside of this. But, that's about the only upside of it other than seeing my parents.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow, that's tough, man. I have no insights for you. Just sympathy.

ETA: maybe your parents would agree to be tested for Covid before your kids visited them?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:20 pm Wow, that's tough, man. I have no insights for you. Just sympathy.

ETA: maybe your parents would agree to be tested for Covid before your kids visited them?
My parents are both vaccinated, so they're not really a worry. It's everyone else (such as my sister) that I have to worry about.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Does this mean we’re not getting together to enjoy some Fat Tires at Eagle Creek?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 am
sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:20 pm Wow, that's tough, man. I have no insights for you. Just sympathy.

My parents are both vaccinated, so they're not really a worry. It's everyone else (such as my sister) that I have to worry about.
Not the same thing (because we don’t have young kids), but my wife is attending her big family reunion in Missouri in early August. I will not be joining her (yay!), as I will stay home with our group of old pets. Much of her family is conservative and some are adamantly unvaccinated. She is fully vaccinated, but doesn’t really appreciate it when I refer to her upcoming event as Covidapalooza.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:41 pm Does this mean we’re not getting together to enjoy some Fat Tires at Eagle Creek?
Sunday, Aug 1 or Monday, Aug 2. We're going to visit my mom only.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Follow up for me:

I'm back stateside for good. The Air Force curtailed my commitment in Korea and I was re-assigned under a "humanitarian assignment." (That's the term for when you need to go to a base that best suits needs for your non-military life hardships. It can be for a bunch of different reasons, but they mostly fall under the umbrella of "medical.")

Luckily, I was already coming to Tucson so that helped a bit. But man, it took far too long. I posted that post in May and I started the process to get here in late April.

In the meantime, they found a spot on my mom's lung and they operated on her today. She's recovering well.

I just gotta say, day to day life is just better when the sun is out. Korea was a slog where the days were long and the months were fast. It was either rainy or overcast every day. I felt shitty and never wanted to do anything. Now that I'm back stateside (and I'm allowed to drive) I just feel better. It's so weird.

Anyhoo, I can't wait to retire next year. I'm gunna get so fucking high.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Dope. Welcome back
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:31 pm Dope. Welcome back
Thank you. 😁
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Welcome back man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I know it's not under the best circumstances, but sounds like coming back will make things somewhat better, so good news.

We absolutely need to do the "Johnnie's retirement Swamp meet-up extravaganza" at some point still, right?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:05 pm I know it's not under the best circumstances, but sounds like coming back will make things somewhat better, so good news.

We absolutely need to do the "Johnnie's retirement Swamp meet-up extravaganza" at some point still, right?
Pretty sure we were floating Vegas soooo
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 am
Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:41 pm Does this mean we’re not getting together to enjoy some Fat Tires at Eagle Creek?
Sunday, Aug 1 or Monday, Aug 2. We're going to visit my mom only.
OK. I'll text you about my availability.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, Johnnie!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:06 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:05 pm I know it's not under the best circumstances, but sounds like coming back will make things somewhat better, so good news.

Pretty sure we were floating Vegas soooo
I think so. It's an hour flight from Tucson. Let's do it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Welcome back, Johnnie. Hope all is well with your Mom and your fiancee.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sending strength to your mother.

Glad you're home safe.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks fellas!
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

100% would sympathize with only visiting vaccinated people, and telling others if they want to see their child relatives to get with the fucking picture.

Welcome back Johnnie.

Some fucking lady has started practicing singing outside my house at random times during the day. It pierces windows and noise cancelling headphones. So that's been fun.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm Some fucking lady has started practicing singing outside my house at random times during the day. It pierces windows and noise cancelling headphones. So that's been fun.
Welcome back, Johnnie.

If you haven’t nicknamed this woman Ella Bitchgerald you’re doing it wrong.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:58 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm Some fucking lady has started practicing singing outside my house at random times during the day. It pierces windows and noise cancelling headphones. So that's been fun.
Welcome back, Johnnie.

If you haven’t nicknamed this woman Ella Bitchgerald you’re doing it wrong.
More like Willaford Huang (the guy who was extra fucking terrible on American Idol 100 years ago.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just had a difficult portion of a conversation with my parents. After we got done with all the normal chit-chat, I asked my Mom if my brother had ever gotten the Covid vaccine. She said, “no”. That really pisses me off, because my parents are both in their 80s and he is putting their lives at risk when he visits them, by not being vaccinated.

I gingerly told my Mom that I don’t want to come out to New Mexico for our Christmas celebration at the same time as my brother. To my surprise, she was very supportive of this, and asked me to “nicely” note to my brother how his unvaccinated status might affect our parents’s health. I don’t even want to try that conversation. I’ll end up saying something I’ll regret later.

It irks me. We discontinued using our pet sitter because she isn’t vaccinated. I really don’t want to spend any time around unvaccinated people.

Sorry for ranting...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 pm Just had a difficult portion of a conversation with my parents. After we got done with all the normal chit-chat, I asked my Mom if my brother had ever gotten the Covid vaccine. She said, “no”. That really pisses me off, because my parents are both in their 80s and he is putting their lives at risk when he visits them, by not being vaccinated.

I gingerly told my Mom that I don’t want to come out to New Mexico for our Christmas celebration at the same time as my brother. To my surprise, she was very supportive of this, and asked me to “nicely” note to my brother how his unvaccinated status might affect our parents’s health. I don’t even want to try that conversation. I’ll end up saying something I’ll regret later.

It irks me. We discontinued using our pet sitter because she isn’t vaccinated. I really don’t want to spend any time around unvaccinated people.

Sorry for ranting...
I'm with you. Luckily we haven't had this be much of an issue with our loved ones.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We had to plan our oldest’s family party this weekend entirely around two unvaccinated family members (outdoors, separate tables to avoid certain family) but, joke’s on us, they got Covid instead and aren’t coming.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.