Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by mister d »

Well there you go. Its me. I'm old.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote:2013. Bruno Mars beats Timberlake for Best Male Video. Timberlake beats Bruno Mars for Video of the Year. Same songs. Selena Gomez wins Best Pop Video. BEATING OUT BRUNO MARS AND TIMBERLAKE. She's not even nominated for the big award.
1991 - Jane's Addiction ("Been Caught Stealing") beats REM ("Losing My Religion") for Best Alternative Video. REM wins video of the year and best group video (among others), while Jane's Addiction is not nominated in either of those categories, while being eligible for both.

Seriously, though, your example is based in MTV being able to make agreements with all three artists to attend the show.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Tom Selleck?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ryan wrote:Tom Selleck?
Fucking weird, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:
Fucking weird, right?
He would have been 37 in 1982, which does seem a bit outside the Tiger Beat.

Anyone else watching True Detective and not at all recognize Rick Springfield?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Fucking weird, right?
He would have been 37 in 1982, which does seem a bit outside the Tiger Beat.

Anyone else watching True Detective and not at all recognize Rick Springfield?
I touched him.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I forgot how many comments AofG posts used to get (Benoit excepted). Did you know all of those people?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No. I got to know a lot of them, many of who I'm now friends with on Facebook. Obviously, I knew the Swampers which was a large chunk of the readership too.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

rass wrote:Anyone else watching True Detective and not at all recognize Rick Springfield?
Was he Conway Twitty?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I know this is a small thing in the big picture. But, I just got back from my gym. It's a really nice gym in a nice town, with a fairly affluent clientele. But, so many guys are pigs in the locker room. Is it so fucking hard to close the locker door as your leave? Or, throw your towel in the bin, instead of on the floor? Your mother doesn't work here. Some poor schlub has to pick up after you, and you care nothing about him, so you throw your towel on the floor, instead of the bin that is ten feet away. Asshole. This ties in to my other belief that you can tell an asshole by how he treats people who are in a subordinate role to him. Meaning, that guy who is a dick to the waitress - Asshole. That guy who never says thanks to the guy emptying his office or cube trash can - Asshole. That guy who never acknowledges the doorman - Asshole. Etc. Etc.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

It means you're the only gym member who doesn't know that the locker room cleaner is a former Nazi prison guard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Totally with you, SC. Seeing people pull the "pfft, isn't that their job" shit on people "below you" is one of the quickest ways to earn my hatred.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fuck hornets. Got stung 4 or 5 times yesterday while mowing the lawn. Got stung 2 weeks ago, but didn't realize it was a hornet until I saw one of the fuckers yesterday. One of the stings, on the inside of my forearm, has fucking ballooned. Swollen from my elbow threw my fingers. It feels like getting your blood pressure taken, but inside out and it doesn't go away. The other stings itch and hurt, but no swelling. Went to urgent care this morning, no infection or cellulitis, Dr. Ruth (actual name) said it was all venom causing the swelling. Not looking forward to finishing mowing the back yard.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

That's bad. Is there a nearby nest you can remove? We found one a couple weeks ago, and took it out just by following the directions on the spray can you can buy at a hardware store.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:Fuck hornets. Got stung 4 or 5 times yesterday while mowing the lawn. Got stung 2 weeks ago, but didn't realize it was a hornet until I saw one of the fuckers yesterday. One of the stings, on the inside of my forearm, has fucking ballooned. Swollen from my elbow threw my fingers. It feels like getting your blood pressure taken, but inside out and it doesn't go away. The other stings itch and hurt, but no swelling. Went to urgent care this morning, no infection or cellulitis, Dr. Ruth (actual name) said it was all venom causing the swelling. Not looking forward to finishing mowing the back yard.
Still have the scab from a sting I got about 10 days ago. Thankfully, my swelling has gone down, and I got my watch and ring off before it got bad. Fucker got me right under my first knuckle of my index finger, on the side of the finger nearest the middle finger. The swelling went all the way up to my mid forearm. It looked like I had Shrek's hand and arm.

One thing I did not know in time was that you are supposed to try and scrape out the stinger ASAP, and that doing so likely helps the reaction. I was operating under the mindset that itching something only makes it worse, and therefore didn't touch the wound until scraping it off was useless.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Fuck hornets. Got stung 4 or 5 times yesterday while mowing the lawn. Got stung 2 weeks ago, but didn't realize it was a hornet until I saw one of the fuckers yesterday. One of the stings, on the inside of my forearm, has fucking ballooned. Swollen from my elbow threw my fingers. It feels like getting your blood pressure taken, but inside out and it doesn't go away. The other stings itch and hurt, but no swelling. Went to urgent care this morning, no infection or cellulitis, Dr. Ruth (actual name) said it was all venom causing the swelling. Not looking forward to finishing mowing the back yard.
Still have the scab from a sting I got about 10 days ago. Thankfully, my swelling has gone down, and I got my watch and ring off before it got bad. Fucker got me right under my first knuckle of my index finger, on the side of the finger nearest the middle finger. The swelling went all the way up to my mid forearm. It looked like I had Shrek's hand and arm.

One thing I did not know in time was that you are supposed to try and scrape out the stinger ASAP, and that doing so likely helps the reaction. I was operating under the mindset that itching something only makes it worse, and therefore didn't touch the wound until scraping it off was useless.
It it was a hornet there was no stinger to scrape out. Those fuckers have smooth stingers and can just punch you repeatedly because they are the spawn of hell.

If you had a stinger left in there and got swelling that bad from the venom because you didn't scrape it out, you got nailed by a honeybee and had a bad reaction.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Absolutely jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven't been stung by anything in 35 years (except like mosquitos obvs). I've lived in Las Vegas for about 10 years total now and never even seen a scorpion. There is some kind of a bee hive or nest somewhere near the house because there's a few of them around the pool usually, but it's not our on our property. (I had our bug guy look.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
It it was a hornet there was no stinger to scrape out. Those fuckers have smooth stingers and can just punch you repeatedly because they are the spawn of hell.

If you had a stinger left in there and got swelling that bad from the venom because you didn't scrape it out, you got nailed by a honeybee and had a bad reaction.
No stingers for me, but websites say they can leave a stinger in you. When my son was stung last year, the stinger stayed in, but it was very easy to pull out. I saw the fucker that stung him, and it was definitely a hornet. From what I read, you should never use tweezers to remove a stinger, as it squeezes out the venom. The best suggestion was scraping the stinger off with a credit card.

The sting on my calf blew up yesterday, and the one on my opposite ankle periodically hurts like fuck when I take a step. The area with the worst swelling on my arm feels like a water balloon. You can push up on the swelling, and it kind of moves like a water balloon. The area is abnormally warm, which I hope doesn't mean its infected.

My son was stung yesterday walking down the street about a block away from the house, and my next door neighbor said he was stung last week.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

No stingers for me, but websites say they can leave a stinger in you. When my son was stung last year, the stinger stayed in, but it was very easy to pull out. I saw the fucker that stung him, and it was definitely a hornet. From what I read, you should never use tweezers to remove a stinger, as it squeezes out the venom. The best suggestion was scraping the stinger off with a credit card.

The sting on my calf blew up yesterday, and the one on my opposite ankle periodically hurts like fuck when I take a step. The area with the worst swelling on my arm feels like a water balloon. You can push up on the swelling, and it kind of moves like a water balloon. The area is abnormally warm, which I hope doesn't mean its infected.

My son was stung yesterday walking down the street about a block away from the house, and my next door neighbor said he was stung last week.
Not saying it can't happen but:
Wiki wrote:Hornets have stings used to kill prey and defend hives. Hornet stings are more painful to humans than typical wasp stings because hornet venom contains a large amount (pkp,5%) of acetylcholine.[2][3] Individual hornets can sting multiple times; unlike honey bees, hornets and wasps do not die after stinging because their stingers are not barbed and are not pulled out of their bodies.
Either way it sucks. Are you sure you're not having some kind of allergic reaction to the venom? Seems like if it hasn't gotten better in a day or 2 you might want to check in on that.

I just found a nest on my roof last Friday in one of my vents to the attic. So now I get to play the fun game of go up there at dusk, shoot the fucker with hornet spray and try to get off the roof without getting the living fuck stung of of me. Might be able to hit it from the ground but of course it is at the absolute apex of the roof.

I've been terrified of bees and wasps and shit ever since I was a kid and they found a massive hive on the inside of my bedroom wall.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Now Syb has me diving through Wiki. Turns out, while uncommon, yellowjacket stingers can come out when they sting.
wiki on these fuckers wrote:These species have lance-like stingers with small barbs, and typically sting repeatedly,[1] though occasionally a stinger becomes lodged and pulls free of the wasp's body;

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looks like we know what the "B" really stands for.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:Looks like we know what the "B" really stands for.
It's for bitch. as in little bitch. as in will waive my arms around like a 6 year old girl if hornets come near me.

I've accepted this. Don't have lots of fears but that one is wedged in my psyche pretty firmly.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A lot of people who know me decently well think I'm allergic to bees based on how much I freak out by one being anywhere near me. Its pretty much my only phobia and I'll argue its a logical one, given that bees can be mean and can fly fast and can actually do harm.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Do hornets make nests or hives?

A few years ago, we hung fake wasp nests in our yards and the bastards left.

Then a couple of years later, they started building nests in the attic. Exterminated the hell out of them and they haven't been back.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Either way it sucks. Are you sure you're not having some kind of allergic reaction to the venom? Seems like if it hasn't gotten better in a day or 2 you might want to check in on that.
Yep, went to urgent care yesterday morning. Doc said 9 time out of 10 she prescribes an antibiotic to be safe, but she was sure I didn't have an infection or allergic reaction. Just a lot of venom in one of the stings. Just gave me prednisone to knock out the swelling. My hand is back to normal, wrist is 90% reduction in swelling, and the rest of the arm is down slightly. As long as it is moving in the right direction, I'll assume it is fine.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The cans of hornet nest spray allow you to stand off about 20 feet, if you are shooting on a level plane. Less if you are shooting upwards at a nest. That's not bad, but of course these little creatures can cover that distance in about 2 seconds. My additional trick was a raincoat with a hood, goggles and gloves.

Oh, I also had my wife do the spraying.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was more than pleased to pay an exterminator to get rid of the aforementioned wasps.

When I was a kid working summers in my grandfather's warehouse, I twice had to spray the place with insecticide. Both times, it was done on a Friday after everyone went home and both times, I was royally messed up for the entire weekend.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

When did we decide that we needed like 20 different flavors of Triscuit crackers? I have to scan through five shelves now just to find the plain, regular-ass variety. Also, regular Triscuit crackers are the greatest snack food ever invented—who the fuck tries one and says "no, this needs to taste like rosemary for me to like it"?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For real, I almost posted this last week. Triscuits are the fucking king.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

While I acknowledge and honor the respect of your post, the cracked black pepper and olive oil Triscuits are pretty fucking awesome.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:While I acknowledge and honor the respect of your post, the cracked black pepper and olive oil Triscuits are pretty fucking awesome.
Brian speaketh truth. Delicious.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Dear Recruiter:

If you set up a specified time to call me, then don't call me at that specified time, and not reply to two emails and phone messages each to reschedule, you are an asshole. It's shocking to me that in an industry built on relationships that so many of them act in a manner that only burns bridges.

Fuck yourself,

L-Jam
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-jam with the rarely used "Nasty Letter" concept rant.

+5 Swamp Points.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would bet decent money its because that recruiter switched jobs. Those motherfuckers move around like nobody else.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, L-Jam. I'm going to borrow your concept for my own rant.

Dear Salesman,

If I tell you I'm not interested in using you as a vendor, that means I'm not interested in using you as a vendor. Calling and e-mailing me continuously over two years does not improve your chances of me changing my mind. And while I'm sure your webinar about how awesome your company is is very compelling, I still have no interest in watching it. Go eat a bag of dicks, because that will be a better use of your time than getting me to listen to your dog-and-pony show.

Sabes
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Thanks, L-Jam. I'm going to borrow your concept for my own rant.

Dear Salesman,

If I tell you I'm not interested in using you as a vendor, that means I'm not interested in using you as a vendor. Calling and e-mailing me continuously over two years does not improve your chances of me changing my mind. And while I'm sure your webinar about how awesome your company is is very compelling, I still have no interest in watching it. Go eat a bag of dicks, because that will be a better use of your time than getting me to listen to your dog-and-pony show.

Sabes
Hope that's not referring to my company. By the way, how come your company doesn't license our software? (Just kidding. It's not really a natural fit. Out of curiosity I checked SalesForce and you aren't our sales contact anyway.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"... but man, its been a while since we've talked, hasn't it? What are you doing around 1:00? Would love to just catch up, shoot the shit, football or whatever. If 1:00 doesn't work, just let me know what time is good for you. And there's a new guy here, Dan, just out of school, he's sitting with me all week so he might just listen in. Not a big deal, right? And I'm not trying to sell you anything, but have I mentioned this cool new functionality in ..."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The previous few posts make me cringe - as a freelance writer, I send out variations of that type of note all the time.

"Hey ______, Heard through the grapevine that you will be Producing/Story Editing/Involved with the new season of "_________." It's a project that I would love to be involved with. I'm attaching my updated CV for your files. If there's an opening/if you haven't yet chosen your writers, I would love to discuss my ideas for the show with you."

My father is a salesman, my mother was a salesman, my wife is a salesman, uncles, great uncles.... yet nothing used to make me more uncomfortable than sending out these messages.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:The previous few posts make me cringe - as a freelance writer, I send out variations of that type of note all the time.

"Hey ______, Heard through the grapevine that you will be Producing/Story Editing/Involved with the new season of "_________." It's a project that I would love to be involved with. I'm attaching my updated CV for your files. If there's an opening/if you haven't yet chosen your writers, I would love to discuss my ideas for the show with you."

My father is a salesman, my mother was a salesman, my wife is a salesman, uncles, great uncles.... yet nothing used to make me more uncomfortable than sending out these messages.
Yeah, but you wound't keep sending the same letter to Dora the Explorer if they didn't respond or told you no, right? Big difference.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote:Dear Recruiter:

If you set up a specified time to call me, then don't call me at that specified time, and not reply to two emails and phone messages each to reschedule, you are an asshole. It's shocking to me that in an industry built on relationships that so many of them act in a manner that only burns bridges.

Fuck yourself,

L-Jam
Exact same thing happened to me once, with an in-house recruiter at a company I was really interested in. So, a couple days later I go to the monthly luncheon of my professional association, and a guy introduces himself as the brand new guy at the position/company I thought I was going to interview for. At least I then understood why the recruiter lost interest. Still an asshole, though.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian