Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote:
Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer.
I know you're not a math guy, but the start and end point don't matter for an average time. Most human beings would assume a day starts at midnight, the first hour is 1 o'clock, etc. Then if prices are sent out at 5:30, 4:30, 4:00, 5:27, etc. you just add em up and average them (pro tip - use 24 hour time).
Now get your stupid parent company to fix Excel time
I'll see what I can do. (What's the problem?)
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:This sounds like a lot of shit I have to deal with. I wish I had been more ambitious in my career sometimes because I see some of the people that make huge bank and they're absolute morons. But not sure I would have wanted to deal with all of the crap that comes with being upwardly mobile.
Having a conscience is a massive drawback as well.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What is a fucking average time? Where do you even pick your start and end point to figure out average time? 12-12? That's going to give you a horrible answer.
I know you're not a math guy, but the start and end point don't matter for an average time. Most human beings would assume a day starts at midnight, the first hour is 1 o'clock, etc. Then if prices are sent out at 5:30, 4:30, 4:00, 5:27, etc. you just add em up and average them (pro tip - use 24 hour time).
Yeah, that's not hard. The problem is, this is what I have to work with...
Time Increment # of Times Percentage

6:00pm ---> 6:15pm 31 30%

6:16pm ---> 6:30pm 38 37%

6:31pm ---> 6:45pm 15 15%

6:45pm or Later 19 18%

100%
I don't know how firms are supposed to think that's an answer for an average time.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Draw a cut-line at 7:00, assume he meant 6:46 or later and call it 6:26. Done.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:

100%
I don't know how firms are supposed to think that's an answer for an average time.
I'd calculate it as +(6.075*.30)+(6.225*.37)+(6.375*.15)+(7.000*.18) = ~6:34 pm. Explain your methodology. Likely, he cares less about the exact accuracy than about getting a general idea in his head.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And you'd get fired mad quick for that pretty clear error.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:And you'd get fired mad quick for that pretty clear error.
Oops.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think otherwise we did the same thing which is what J-Lo should do so he's a hero.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:I think otherwise we did the same thing which is what J-Lo should do so he's a hero.
Grinder
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:

100%
I'd calculate it as +(6.075*.30)+(6.225*.37)+(6.375*.15)+(7.000*.18) = ~6:34 pm. Explain your methodology. Likely, he cares less about the exact accuracy than about getting a general idea in his head.
That's why I did no math and just put 6:20.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So you should be this guy's boss and I should be your boss?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I've noticed a mini-epidemic of women at department stores thinking it's OK to step into the hall of the men's fitting room while their husband/boyfriend is in there to provide a critique. Is this now deemed acceptable? Would the reverse be acceptable as well?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I've noticed a mini-epidemic of women at department stores thinking it's OK to step into the hall of the men's fitting room while their husband/boyfriend is in there to provide a critique. Is this now deemed acceptable? Would the reverse be acceptable as well?
Sounds like you know my wife. Funny how I was able to survive well into my mid-30s before she decided I was no longer able to adequately clothe myself.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:I've noticed a mini-epidemic of women at department stores thinking it's OK to step into the hall of the men's fitting room while their husband/boyfriend is in there to provide a critique. Is this now deemed acceptable? Would the reverse be acceptable as well?
Sounds like you know my wife. Funny how I was able to survive well into my mid-30s before she decided I was no longer able to adequately clothe myself.
Same here.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd estimate conservatively that 90% of my shirts have a logo from my company on them, but for the most part my wife still lets me pick things out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you meltdown if its a shared fitting room area?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Do you meltdown if its a shared fitting room area?
Or stiffen up?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

My objection isn't so much to the wives' critiquing, but to the once generally accepted understanding that you should stay out of opposite-sex fitting rooms now being casually disregarded. Would it be OK for a dude to go into the women's fitting room while his wife is in there--"OK, let me see that bra...nah, the first one did a better job lifting and separating"--and presume any other women present shouldn't take offense?

Other miscellaneous points:
- If yielding your clothes-shopping decisions to your wife didn't result in your wardrobe consisting entirely of poly-blend sport shirts and dad jeans, you've got a keeper.
- I once worked with a guy who actually bought clothes for his wife. Dude was very effeminate; I assumed he was gay before learning he was married to a woman. His wife was attractive and, yes, well--dressed.
- Fitting-room rant #2: any store that has its fitting rooms locked by default, requiring you to seek out a clerk for access, can go triple-fuck itself. Seems to be popular at outlet malls for some reason. Such a blatant attempt to trap/guilt-trip customers under the pretense of security.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I buy my wife (shirts only, from one of two stores) as gifts and do a very good job of it.

(I have also had people wonder if I'm gay. Almost always its new GFs/wives of 3rd or 4th tier friends who never would have mentioned me prior to our first meeting.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I can't remember ever seeing gender-specific changing rooms.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:
Same here.
I met my wife when I was 30 - god only knows how I managed to get out of bed and bathe before she came into my life.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Actually, I rarely venture inside a clothing store. My wife buys clothes for me, brings them home, has me try them on, then deems them appropriate or to be returned. Now that I think about it, about the only clothing I've bought in 15 years has been t-shirts and shoes. My mother will sometimes buy me a shirt for a gift, and after she leaves, my wife often exchanges it at the store. Certainly, it's one less thing to concern myself with in my life.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've bought a lot of my wife's clothes. She hates to go shopping. She buys more of her own stuff online now, but back when she was a full time lawyer (instead of professor), I bought the majority of her suits for various birthdays and Christmases.

That said, I stay in a very narrow range of types of clothes - suits, some casual stuff like shorts and tees, and shit like running clothes.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:I've bought a lot of my wife's clothes. She hates to go shopping. She buys more of her own stuff online now, but back when she was a full time lawyer (instead of professor), I bought the majority of her suits for various birthdays and Christmases.

That said, I stay in a very narrow range of types of clothes - suits, some casual stuff like shorts and tees, and shit like running clothes.
Lingerie, dude!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Variation on a theme - here are some nominees for MTV VMAs this year...
VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Ed Sheeran – “Thinking Out Loud”
Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar – “Bad Blood”
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars – “Uptown Funk”
Kendrick Lamar – “Alright”

BEST MALE VIDEO
The Weeknd – “Earned It”
Nick Jonas – “Chains”

BEST FEMALE VIDEO
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Taylor Swift – “Blank Space”
Nicki Minaj – “Anaconda”
Sia – “Elastic Heart”
Ellie Goulding – “Love Me Like You Do”

BEST HIP HOP VIDEO
Fetty Wap – “Trap Queen”
Nicki Minaj – “Anaconda”
Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth – “See You Again”
Big Sean ft. E-40 – “I Don’t F–k With You”

BEST POP VIDEO
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Maroon 5 – “Sugar”
Really hoping that a song that's up for Video of the Year loses in a narrower category to one that isn't. Do the non-Kendrick-Lamar entries in the Hip Hop Video realize they should technically have zero chance of winning?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Best female is also locked up.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote:Variation on a theme - here are some nominees for MTV VMAs this year...
VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar – “Bad Blood”

BEST MALE VIDEO
The Weeknd – “Earned It”
Nick Jonas – “Chains”

BEST FEMALE VIDEO
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Nicki Minaj – “Anaconda”
Sia – “Elastic Heart”
Ellie Goulding – “Love Me Like You Do”

BEST HIP HOP VIDEO
Fetty Wap – “Trap Queen”
Nicki Minaj – “Anaconda”
Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth – “See You Again”
Big Sean ft. E-40 – “I Don’t F–k With You”

BEST POP VIDEO
Beyoncé – “7/11″
Maroon 5 – “Sugar”
Other than a couple of the hip hop songs, this is music for women. Granted, Bruno Mars is kind of cool, but this is what my wife and 16 year old daughter listen to.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

2013. Bruno Mars beats Timberlake for Best Male Video. Timberlake beats Bruno Mars for Video of the Year. Same songs. Selena Gomez wins Best Pop Video. BEATING OUT BRUNO MARS AND TIMBERLAKE. She's not even nominated for the big award.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

May I ask a serious question (maybe a generational issue at play here), but do you guys take the MTV Video awards seriously?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bruno Mars' real name is Peter Gene Hernandez, which is the funniest possible name for a "cool" artist. "Oh, is this that new Pete Hernandez joint?"
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pruitt wrote:May I ask a serious question (maybe a generational issue at play here), but do you guys take the MTV Video awards seriously?
Why should I? THEY CERTAINLY DON'T.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote:
Pruitt wrote:May I ask a serious question (maybe a generational issue at play here), but do you guys take the MTV Video awards seriously?
Why should I? THEY CERTAINLY DON'T.
<SIGH OF RELIEF>
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But it does seem like music is more garbage and "younger" now, right? Like adults didn't listen to NKOTB but there's no line in pop anymore.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Welcome to middle age, boys.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think most of T-Swizzle's stuff is pretty tenable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm going to do some sort of analysis by years active and age versus charts or nominations somewhere or something and prove its getting younger (and badder).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:I'm going to do some sort of analysis by years active and age versus charts or nominations somewhere or something and prove its getting younger (and badder).
I just started to do that but Beyonce was my first one and she's 34 already so I bailed.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I did something like this a while ago - look through the years - for every Stones song that was in the top ten there was a Fifth Dimension piece of crap. For every Springsteen, there's a Rick Springfield. Talking Heads might have hit the top 40 once or twice. George Michael owned it for a few years.

Main difference now is that there really doesn't seem to be any of those great bands or super talented performers who didn't seem to have crawled out of a marketing guy's computer.

And I ws just over at Deezer and looking through the new releases came across Cee Lo Green's new single. It is called "Robin Williams" and if it circulates a bit further, it will be known as one of the worst songs in a while. Potentially could be mentioned in the same breath as John Travolta's "Let Her In" or "Billy Don't Be A Hero." And at least those atrocities didn't make me angry.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But wouldn't the marketed demographic of even a junkmouth like Rick Springfield be older than someone like Ed Sheeran or T-Swift? Or am I just really, really old and don't realize what a current 26 year old is actually like?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:But wouldn't the marketed demographic of even a junkmouth like Rick Springfield be older than someone like Ed Sheeran or T-Swift? Or am I just really, really old and don't realize what a current 26 year old is actually like?