Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:Lack of black people in baseball?
Lack of women in STEM related positions?
Lack of black people in CrossFit?
Lack of male nurses?
Lack of women playing Magic: The Gathering?
Would you mind shuffling the questions around so I can answer four of them honestly then have the big payoff be a joke on the fifth? Doesn't work out well in the current order.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I power of attorney'd my Jeep to my cousin so he could sell it for me in Arizona. Grand Cherokees have a better market there and I simply don't want to deal with the hassle of haggling. Plus with him being a used car salesman many, many years ago, it only made sense that he do it for me anyway. He did an excellent job prepping, fixing, and cleaning it. He posted it and got lots of calls and texts. He was able to sell it for a rather favorable-to-the-buyer amount and felt good about everything.

Well, I get a call from him, kind of in a huff/minor panic that the dude who bought it called him about a problem. He went with a buddy to drive it off road and heard an abnormal sound. Not being there, it could be anything. I figure it's something in the front diff because the steep angle of the drive shaft because of the lift kit could've messed with something. But hell, it could be the transfer case. I have no idea.

Now, he test drove it, liked it, bought it, has his name on the title, and registered it. It's his jeep now. Apparently, and I hope you're sitting down when I tell you this, the guy didn't test it in 4wd at all during the test drive with my cousin.

Like....really? Wtf, over? So I call and chat with him. Nice dude. Buying it for his son. I really want to get mad at him, buy I told him the honesty of everything and tried to have as much tact as possible. When I bought it, stored it while in Korea, brought it to Germany, the rigamarole with it sitting for an extended period in Germany, driving it from Dallas when it came back...everything. I simply did not off road enough with it either. This problem should've been caught before the sale.

I told him I'd kick him a couple hundred bucks if it's something minor, but I really wanted to tell him to get bent. I'm here. The jeep is there. He owns it now. He didn't test it out for the exact reason he bought it for. I feel equally compelled to help as I am to get mad about it. I was polite in telling him that this is on him and he gets it, but still. C'mon, man!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Being polite and tossing him a couple of hundred bucks are strong karma points. But you have no ethical or legal obligation to give him dollar one, much less to reverse the sale. Caveat emptor doesn't apply only to a dishonest seller. Even if you told him to pound sand, doing so politely and respectfully, listening to his case, is almost always the right thing.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Does the bill of sale say that the vehicle is being sold "as-is, with no warranty"?

If so, then the only way you would be liable is if the defect was something you knew about and failed to disclose, but was something they would not have found on a reasonable inspection.

(This afternoon I am going to court on a very similar issue, but dealing with a house.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I asked my cousin. A bill of sale wasn't done. And this issue would have been found immediately had the vehicle been put into 4wd during the test drive. So, now I'm kinda feeling a bit worried. I don't think the dude would come after my cousin or me, but now the doubt is in my head.

Edit.

I figured he'd have to do it because he has the power of attorney and it was being sold in Arizona. He's thinking I'd need to do it because it was registered in New Mexico. New Mexico doesn't require the bill of sale because the title itself works and the website says:
If the certificate of title does not have room to include this information, you'll also need to complete either...

So yea...ugh. Fuck.
Last edited by Johnnie on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:I asked my cousin. A bill of sale wasn't done. And this issue would have been found immediately had the vehicle been put into 4wd during the test drive. So, now I'm kinda feeling a bit worried. I don't think the dude would come after my cousin or me, but now the doubt is in my head.
If it would have been found immediately had the vehicle been put into 4WD, then I don't think there is a claim against you. But it doesn't hurt to be friendly, and it's always better to spend a couple hundred bucks and buy your peace than have to deal with any kind of legal hassle.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I asked my cousin. A bill of sale wasn't done. And this issue would have been found immediately had the vehicle been put into 4wd during the test drive. So, now I'm kinda feeling a bit worried. I don't think the dude would come after my cousin or me, but now the doubt is in my head.
If it would have been found immediately had the vehicle been put into 4WD, then I don't think there is a claim against you. But it doesn't hurt to be friendly, and it's always better to spend a couple hundred bucks and buy your peace than have to deal with any kind of legal hassle.
Oh, absolutely. That's exactly what he said on the phone. "I'm an idiot for not putting it in 4wd. This would have been noticed if I did that." I need an app that records phone calls.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Oh, absolutely. That's exactly what he said on the phone. "I'm an idiot for not putting it in 4wd. This would have been noticed if I did that." I need an app that records phone calls.
Only if you want more legal trouble.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:But it doesn't hurt to be friendly, and it's always better to spend a couple hundred bucks and buy your peace than have to deal with any kind of legal hassle.
Oh sure, I give the same advice, and it is scrolled past. But a big time (white) lawyer sez it, and it's gospel.

(just tryin to be funny)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Only if you want more legal trouble.
Yeah -- don't record phone calls unless you know the state legalities
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:But it doesn't hurt to be friendly, and it's always better to spend a couple hundred bucks and buy your peace than have to deal with any kind of legal hassle.
Oh sure, I give the same advice, and it is scrolled past. But a big time (white) lawyer sez it, and it's gospel.

(just tryin to be funny)
Hey, I read yours first! Karma points wins here.

His post also had the legal stuff too. You're my spic, Howard. You know that.

In terms of phone call recording legality, this is what I get when I Google "new mexico law recording phone calls."
New Mexico. Summary of statute(s): It is an unlawful “interference with communications” to record a telephone conversation without the consent of one of the parties to the communication. But the statute does not prohibit recording an in-person conversation without such consent. N.M.
So, I'm cool according to the University of Google, Search Random Shit College of Law.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote:
howard wrote:

(just tryin to be funny)
Hey, I read yours first! Karma points wins here.

His post also had the legal stuff too. You're my spic, Howard. You know that.

In terms of phone call recording legality, this is what I get when I Google "new mexico law recording phone calls."
New Mexico. Summary of statute(s): It is an unlawful “interference with communications” to record a telephone conversation without the consent of one of the parties to the communication. But the statute does not prohibit recording an in-person conversation without such consent. N.M.
So, I'm cool according to the University of Google, Search Random Shit College of Law.
Does it say if that recording-without-consent would be admissible in a trial?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:

(just tryin to be funny)
Privilege has its privileges.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Johnnie,

He has literally no case. It was a private sale, no one in their right mind tries to take this to trial. Cars sold on Craigslist or individually are basically implied "AS-IS". He bought the car, handed over the money, and signed for it, it's his and his problem. You are far more likely to get in trouble recording anything than the actual sale.

Steve Lehto(sp?) on Jalopnik has an article about this if you want to look it up, he's an actual lawyer (in MI but still).
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
howard wrote:

(just tryin to be funny)
This is a long running joke in my family. 'I tell you something, you think it's BS. But some strange white man (or some white man on the television) sez it, and you believe it!'

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
howard wrote:

(just tryin to be funny)
This is a long running joke in my family. 'I tell you something, you think it's BS. But some strange white man (or some white man on the television) sez it, and you believe it!'
Awhile back, I related to my wife something I learned in the Swamp. She said, "I told you that a month ago and you didn't believe me. But, you hear it from your internet people and THEN, you believe it!"
(Of course I had no recollection of her ever telling me that.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I occasionally bike to work. It is more frequent these days because of the fiasco that is Washington's Metro system and their safe track effort. The route I take is almost entirely paved bike trail. Lots of joggers, bikers, dog walkers, and occasionally a roller blader. Anyway, because of the safe track there are way more bikers than there were. I am probably faster than most of the commuters and slower than the hard core cyclist. Fine. But if you are going to bike commute, have some basic common sense, courtesy, and safety for others. Coming down a switch back ramp near Roosevelt Island and you roll off the ramp into a parking lot. Some people are coming at you. Fine the lady ahead of me just stops. There are four of us stacked up behind her, no verbal indication she was going to stop, no hand signal. So I brake hard and just miss her. She starts yelling at me. I have no problem with her stopping but maybe let me know as most people don't stop at the place she did.

And then it occurred to me. Nobody who buys cycling sandals should be allowed on busy bike paths. If they are too silly to realize that open toed cycling shoes on a major cycling path is stupid (I can forgive ladies who are in their sundresses, on cruiser bikes, and not clipped into their pedals), they probably should not be allowed to bike with other people. And if those same people are wearing a neon vest (like construction workers wear) and paniers with nothing in them.........GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR

side note: I feel a bit like George Carlin talking about drivers who are faster and slower.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It's just a certain type who stops (walking, biking, driving) in an area of through traffic and I despise that type.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Awhile back, I related to my wife something I learned in the Swamp. She said, "I told you that a month ago and you didn't believe me. But, you hear it from your internet people and THEN, you believe it!"
(Of course I had no recollection of her ever telling me that.)
"It's not that I didn't believe you, it's that I wasn't listening to you."

Bronto wrote:Does it say if that recording-without-consent would be admissible in a trial?
You do have consent, your own, and that's all that is needed. It is admissible as long as you can provide foundation for the recording, meaning you can prove it is authentic, not edited, etc... Not easy to do. You'd have to look at the law in AZ, as well. Pretty sure they are single party consent, too. Only 11 or 12 states require both parties to consent. I have to deal with this way too often with employees secretly recording their bosses or other coworkers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shit stolen from my home.
Dog gets cancer.
Tree falls on house.

Look I'm thankful that all our humans are healthy and no one is hurt. We've got more than plenty and we've worked hard for it, so we'll be OK. But is it too much to ask for 2016 to stop shitting on me and my family? It's really getting to be a bit much right now. I'm just waiting for the A/C to shit out, or a car accident, or finding out a family member is sick to just put this over the top.

Back to your regularly scheduled Swamping. /offmychest
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

God doesn't give us more than we can handle!

(Don't you feel better now? Thanks, religious people!)

Seriously though, that sucks. I tend to think (hope) that stuff like that is like streaks in gambling. It's a bit of an outlier to have that much bad luck in a short period of time and it means you're due for a bunch of good luck in a streak as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:Shit stolen from my home.
Dog gets cancer.
Tree falls on house.

Look I'm thankful that all our humans are healthy and no one is hurt. We've got more than plenty and we've worked hard for it, so we'll be OK. But is it too much to ask for 2016 to stop shitting on me and my family? It's really getting to be a bit much right now. I'm just waiting for the A/C to shit out, or a car accident, or finding out a family member is sick to just put this over the top.

BSF...good thoughts going your way...

Side note-I thought the tree on your house is generally less expensive than the tree missing your house but being all in your property because insurance covers. Basically if it hits the house insurance steps up but if not Asplundah is out of your wallet.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Shit stolen from my home.
Dog gets cancer.
Tree falls on house.

BSF...good thoughts going your way...

Side note-I thought the tree on your house is generally less expensive than the tree missing your house but being all in your property because insurance covers. Basically if it hits the house insurance steps up but if not Asplundah is out of your wallet.
1000$ deductible + no roof damage (I hope) means its all out of my wallet anyway. :(
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Cancer. Fucking. Sucks.

I was just posting the same message about two years ago, when my cousin was dying. Now, my niece has it. 32 years old. Not. Fair. She is just starting the thing, chemo/surgery/radiation in that order over the next six months for breast CA. Fuck. If I believed in a deity, I would not be happy with him/her/it.

Cancer can suck my black asshole.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Howard - sorry to hear that news. Sincerely wishing your niece gets through this as quickly and completely as possible. The wife of one of my best friends went through cancer twice. Double mastectomy first time and then it came back years later. She beat it both times. It's a fight that can won and I hope your niece knocks the shit out the big C.
oh shit...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sorry to hear, man.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So sorry howard.

(at least you didn't confuse the fuck out of poor elflaco this time)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I took care not to attack the flac this time.

Thanks guys.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thoughts and thoughts, man.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

pensamientos y sentimientos.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry to hear that, howard.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sorry, Howard. That sucks. I wish her the best.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry, Doc.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best wishes, howard.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Certainly not as dire as Howard's situation. That's horrible, man.

But the Air Force decided to throw another curve at me a day ago. I'm getting force enrolled into the Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Distance Learning Course. A decade ago this course used to be optional for Master Sergeants trying to delineate themselves amongst other Master Sergeants in hopes of getting being promoted to Senior Master Sergeant. Now, Technical Sergeants (my rank) with 12 years in are being forced to do it. I have a year to do it, but it's the principle. It's another way that the Air Force says "We don't care about you or your job. Do you?"

The Air Force is becoming an internal war of attrition. They've rolled out a new retirement plan that basically says "we don't want you to stay in." They've changed performance reports to reflect the commander's pet getting the higher rating. Promotions are done by a board for ranks starting at MSgt now. So now some chiefs and colonel sitting in a room somewhere will look at paperwork to determine whether or not I'm good enough to promote. Oh, and Congress wants to continue cutting our benefits every time they need to pass a budget.

I just need to hang on for 5 more years.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

As I understand it, this is a home for rants large and small, serious and trivial.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: I just need to hang on for 5 more years.
and then deal with the same shit in the private sector.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:

I thought we all agreed we'd let johnnie throw his little hissy fits about that shit and not tell him he isn't special?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

I thought we all agreed we'd let johnnie throw his little hissy fits about that shit and not tell him he isn't special?
My bad, I just wanted him to be prepared and crush any false hopes of sanity in the civilian world.

Johnnie, you should hear the one about how my company's CEO decided to change the bonus structure after the year was over, so we had no way to work towards the metrics, and delay paying the bonuses for 3 months, so they could decide on metrics. He announced this on an all hands web-meeting 2 weeks prior to the expected bonus payout date, and everyone who called in with questions sucked his dick, praising him for his brilliant idea. Then my bonus is 50% tied to metrics that have nothing to do with my job, and nobody in the services side got a penny because sales had major fuckups, promising services that are either impossible or illegal. Sales exceeded their bonus maximum because of this, so it's all good.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote:...and nobody in the services side got a penny because sales had major fuckups, promising services that are either impossible or illegal. Sales exceeded their bonus maximum because of this, so it's all good.
And this is why sales people suck so bad. Promising unrealistic shit just to get business that will leave b/c services couldn't do the impossible.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."