Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by P.D.X. »

If you want to trigger the lib at a coffee shop, make sure that you and your friend order everything to go but then actually sit down and eat it here and then just dump all the clamshell boxes and paper cups that you accumulated into the trash because fuck both the planet and using real ceramic and utensils.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Bro!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

America the Beautiful is not our National Anthem. Let's stop pretending it is.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:26 pm America the Beautiful is not our National Anthem. Let's stop pretending it is.
Let's stop playing the anthem before games, period. It didn't start until WWII and they never stopped the celebration of our nation's greatest trait - war.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A lot of that pregame was pretty aggravating. Pandering nonsense. Just play the fucking game.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:05 pm A lot of that pregame was pretty aggravating. Pandering nonsense. Just play the fucking game.
It's always an aggressive clusterfuck when it's FOX's turn to broadcast the game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

You mean the patriogasm that was pregame. Ragged Flag, Military Heros coin toss, etc.
I did like the idea of the game ball delivery commercial...
I am also curious what the reaction to the J-LO Versace American Flag/Puerto Rican Flag outfit. Got to believe some folks are upset who also are okay with Kid Rock rocking a flag whatever.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm I am also curious what the reaction to the J-LO Versace American Flag/Puerto Rican Flag outfit. Got to believe some folks are upset who also are okay with Kid Rock rocking a flag whatever.
Oh it's been measured and reasonable.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Old Bay seasoned Sunflower Seeds form Bigs...not enough Old Bay. If you are going to hype Old Bay....you need to go heavy on Old Bay. Common mistake in the food world.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hm. I think the past few days have given the Trumpers a legitimate basis to complain about "fake news."

Trump didn't suggest people start drinking bleach or disinfectants. He just didn't. I heard his comments live and also saw recordings of them.

What he said *was* stupid - but not crazy. Maybe doctors should look how disinfectants and UV light kill the virus to see if that process could be used inside the body. But he was not saying "Drink bleach, folks!"

That *is* pretty much what he was doing with hydroxychoroquine. So people reading the news coverage about the bleach stuff are going to think Trump said the same stuff about bleach. That isn't what happened.

The Trump administration also apparently didn't put some random dog breeder in charge of the government's response to Covid. The guy is actually an experienced government official. He's been a political appointee in prior Republican administrations. Like most political appointees, he lost his government job when the other party came into power. So while he was out of government, he was apparently involved in some family dog breeding business.

And he wasn't put in charge of the response. He's Azar's chief of staff, so that means he does logistical and administrative stuff for Azar and for the task force Azar was chairing.

(There might also be some real questions as to whether that guy in the vaccine department was fired for opposing hydroxychloroquine. Apparently he was a real asshole and at least one person in his office texted *back in January* that he was likely to be fired for insurbordination.)

Al Gore did not claim he invented the internet, Obama did not think there were 57 states, Hillary did not suggest Obama might be assassinated, and Trump did not recommend drinking bleach or hire a dog-breeder.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 pm and Trump did not recommend drinking bleach or hire a dog-breeder.
But he did hire a dog-breeder. You just said so earlier in your rant.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yes, he did not literally say "when this presser is over, go inject yourself with bleach". What he did say, clearly without sarcasm, was:

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.

And any time even his closest sycophants have to say "you need to clarify your comments", that's a massive win in terms of embarrassing him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

He could have clarified that he mis-spoke or poorly relayed information he had been given earlier in the day about the speed with which household cleaners kill the virus on surfaces, etc. (there's a twitter thread kicking around parsing out what he had actually been told).

But, yeah, surfaces like countertops = surfaces like lungs.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:20 pm Yes, he did not literally say "when this presser is over, go inject yourself with bleach". What he did say, clearly without sarcasm, was:

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.
Exactly. He was asking the doctors if there was something that could be done like that. Two sentences before that, he had said "[a]nd I think you said you're going to test that, too [talking to the doctor, referring to UV]." And the sentence after the language you quoted, he says "so it'd be interesting to check that." And in the sentence after that, he says "So you're going to have to use medical doctors."

This was so clearly not "I think people should start drinking bleach."
duff wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 pm and Trump did not recommend drinking bleach or hire a dog-breeder.
But he did hire a dog-breeder. You just said so earlier in your rant.
Sure, and that's the kind of thing you seize on if you want to deceive without technically lying. But deceiving by misleading someone with a half-truth is just as dishonest as deceiving by making explicitly false statements. I don't think it's a good media practice or practice by anyone who wants to be taken seriously.

It's like arguing that Bernie Sanders isn't qualified to be President because why would you elect a small-town mayor for that job?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 pm This was so clearly not "I think people should start drinking bleach."
Was that really the “media” take on this, or just the horde of commenters out there on social media making fun of him?

I can’t find a major publication that went with the “Trump says drink bleach” headline or story.

Though be forewarned that looking might break you because there are “don’t drink bleach” articles going back years, and all sorts of examples of what it won’t cure. We’re doomed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:20 pmI see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.
Exactly. He was asking the doctors if there was something that could be done like that.
Steven/Stephen, respectfully, Jesus Fucking Christ we’re talking about the President of the United States.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“Obama didn’t say jacking off four or more times per week prevents prostate cancer, he publicly asked doctors if jacking off four or more times per week prevents prostate cancer. Its a world apart and you guys are really reaching to make Obama look bad.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:20 pmI see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning.
Exactly. He was asking the doctors if there was something that could be done like that.
Steven/Stephen, respectfully, Jesus Fucking Christ we’re talking about the President of the United States.
Sure, he's an idiot. I don't think that was in dispute though.

(For the record, it's Stephen.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Stored for future usage.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:35 pm “Obama didn’t say jacking off four or more times per week prevents prostate cancer, he publicly asked doctors if jacking off four or more times per week prevents prostate cancer. Its a world apart and you guys are really reaching to make Obama look bad.”
Didn’t that more or less happen to a Clinton surgeon general?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Personally, I'm glad posing a moronic question to doctors about injecting disinfectant in an attempt to clean the inside of the body has been taken to this level. I mean, I saw "drink bleach" memes when I woke up the day he said it -- but not from actual news outlets. I was once again just shaking my head that an idiot of this caliber is president. The internet ran with distorting the original question. But whatever. Fuck him. Like he hasn't misrepresented facts since the beginning.

If this begins to leads to what sinks him, good. This is basically a question on the level of Steve Carrel asking "Is it true that if you don't use it, you lose it?" level head shaking from 40 Year Old Virgin. Except that was a comedy and this is a tragedy.

So...INJECT that fake news directly into my veins.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Al Gore also didn't say he invented the internet, so I'm not apologizing for any jokes suggesting the president told Americans to drink bleach.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's the thing about all this:

He shouldn't be up at the podium spitballing ideas. That's not how this shit is supposed to work. FOR THIS VERY REASON.

So, no, I'm not going to give him a pass or in any way water down what he said. He was speculating, which you just don't fucking do as POTUS. Full stop.

Fucking moron.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:15 am Here's the thing about all this:

He shouldn't be up at the podium spitballing ideas. That's not how this shit is supposed to work. FOR THIS VERY REASON.

So, no, I'm not going to give him a pass or in any way water down what he said. He was speculating, which you just don't fucking do as POTUS. Full stop.

Fucking moron.
Even Giuliani knew that before he lost his mind. Even that idiot W knew this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I just need to dump some stuff. I don't care if anyone reads it, typing it is simply for my mental well-being.

So, my father-in-law wants to see our kids. His wife wants my wife to pick him up to come visit us and the two ladies discussed it last Sunday.

On paper, this makes sense. He can't be trusted to make the drive, despite his reliance on GPS to do it. And she needs a break because he can very easily be unbearable in normal times and COVID exacerbates it because they are cooped up together.

So, my wife was pretty much good with making this idea work while knowing he would have to be entertained the entire time while here because, despite his stated desire to see his grandkids, he'd be done with them before bedtime the first night he was here. Father-in-law had a couple doctor's appointments on the books for this week, including one for diminished mental capacity (Alzheimer's/dementia), and the final decision was to be made after they were done.

We discussed it a couple times, going back and forth. While she never said it, it was apparent my wife had concerns that this could be the last time she sees her dad before his mental capacity is severely compromised. We were leaning toward my wife suggesting she bring the kids down for a few days next week, as this would kind of be the best of the options. Her dad would get to be at home so he can disappear to his mancave or take naps or whatever while he would still get to see the kids. My wife would enable her mother-in-law to leave the house and not have to worry about him, so she gets a break.

We also talked about setting some ground rules, including no visitors, with a possible exception of some family friends coming over and they were outside chatting. This would expressly deny a grandchild of my wife's step-mother coming over because she wants to see our similarly-aged daughter. We don't even know if the kid wants to see our daughter, as my wife's step-mother engineers it. To be clear, the kid sucks, we don't like her (we're not sure our daughter likes her, either) and it aggravates us that the sleepover happens every visit.

And, then my wife spoke to them today.

They had been to see their endocrinologist to talk about their respective cases of diabetes. Doctor told them both that she is giving up on him and that his wife should expect to find him dead on the floor sometime because he refuses to change anything in spite of his diabetes. This is completely unsurprising because my father-in-law is essentially a man-child, dating to before his mental state started to erode.

His wife then mentioned they were going to go out for dinner. My wife mentioned going somewhere for a picnic (a safe option with COVID) and the reply was that they were going to a restaurant... and had already been to multiple restaurants. This came on the heels of her saying during Sunday's conversation that they had been staying home, staying inside, etc.

It was in the relaying of this information that I told my wife I would be the bad guy and say this was not happening to protect the safety of my wife and our kids. I presented the case that, while I am sympathetic to stepmother-in-law's case and understand that going out to restaurants is in large part to placate my father-in-law, she could throw me under the bus. I explained that, if he doesn't care about his diabetes, he certainly does not care about COVID, so you know he's not wearing a mask at any of the restaurants they've been to, other customers in their area are certainly not wearing masks and on and on.

I also apologized to my wife because I didn't want her to feel like I was coming down on her, but she said she understood and she appreciated me giving support because she had been telling her therapist yesterday that she feels stuck in a position where she has to take care of so many people that she can't take care of herself.

So, there will be an uncomfortable conversation later this week between my wife and her mother-in-law. And the relationship will likely take a turn for the worse as a result. And, whatever.

Thank you for just having your eyes glaze over this post.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sucks, man. Really sorry to hear it. A friend recently mentioned that her mom was giving her guilt about not coming to visit (to NJ, from FL), and what would happen if her mom got COVID. Said friend is one of four kids, and two of them have said they're not visiting. When she told us this story, both my wife and I said that guilt trip is definitely something my mother in law would pull.

COVID is making your hard situation even harder. If it were me, I'd do exactly what you're doing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gah. That's terrible to have to deal with, DSafe.

How close are y'all to your wife's stepmother?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, sorry DSafe. That does suck. I miss that bullet myself only because my parents are further away and my daughter is older than your kids. But, I can relate and I genuinely sympathize with your plight. You and your wife are the only adults in the room and sometimes that's a tough road.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's really shitty.

But you are doing the right thing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that sucks. We're not nearly at that level, but its very weird being the "strict" middle generation managing both up and down through all this.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just going to try to catch everything in one post without quoting to save space.

I fear the guilt trip will be coming when they are informed that there will be no visit. We have a good relationship with the stepmother now, but there have been times when my wife has expressed the desire to just have things be done with her when her father passes (there's always drama since the woman is a know-it-all and gossip). It feels like if there should be a significant issue, that would end the relationship. She has done a ton of stuff for our kids, though, so I don't think we can cut her out or at least that it would not be fair to do so.

My wife and I have had the discussion and agree about not attending any funerals due to COVID. I'm certain it is more difficult for her because her parents are the ones much more aggressively going against the advice of staying home, etc., as well as the myriad of her dad's medical conditions making him the most likely candidate (they did actually get tested for COVID semi-recently and were both negative, but they seem to be daring it to come get them now). I can absolutely see her feeling guilted into attending, should something happen to her dad.

Regarding the "doing the right thing" angle, one of my cousins texted me last week, as our family reunion is coming up next month in Ohio. He asked how we were doing and if we were safe, then asked if we would be going. It seemed like he was hoping we weren't so he could have a rationale or support for not attending. I told him we wouldn't, but mentioned the kids' day camp would be our big test and we didn't want to push things with travel. That kind of opened things up and he mentioned his wife going back to work and day care for their son re-opening, then the pressure coming from his family to show up due to lockdown. I told him I couldn't tell him what to do, but my advice was that they have to do whatever they feel most comfortable with to keep themselves safe. He mentioned his wife had just started working again at a hospital, to which I said they shouldn't attend in order to not jeopardize everyone else's health.

We are two of the three members of our generation who lives more than an hour away from the bulk of the family (he's been in Chicago for probably a decade, but lived in New Jersey for several years prior to that, and my sister in Indianapolis is the other), so I completely understand him coming to me. We're the two black sheep who chose to not stick around.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Could you say you're postponing the trip two weeks and will only still come if they agree to not go out to any more restaurants for two weeks? That seems to be the agreed-upon time for isolation after risk of infection.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 am Could you say you're postponing the trip two weeks and will only still come if they agree to not go out to any more restaurants for two weeks? That seems to be the agreed-upon time for isolation after risk of infection.
Their zip code also has the highest number of infections in western Pennsylvania, including any part of Pittsburgh (373 infections in an area whose 2010 population was 15,424). And they just re-opened businesses this week. The greater thing is that we know them, particularly her dad, well enough that there is no way they'll stop going out in public or to restaurants or alter their lives in whatever way we ask them to.

Side note: Our area jumped from phase two to phase three of reopening after two weeks. I think that was foolhardy just because that's not enough time to adequately understand the effects of going to phase two because of the two-week "incubation" (or whatever you want to call it) period.

My wife called them this morning to tell them and they took it way better than she imagined, even agreeing it was a good idea, which was its own mindfuck. All I could do was move my arms up and down and say "does not compute" in a malfunctioning robot voice.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s good to hear.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Yep. Take the win there I guess.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am Yep. Take the win there I guess.
Oh, absolutely. Just the least likely response, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 am
BSF21 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am Yep. Take the win there I guess.
Oh, absolutely. Just the least likely response, though.
Wow, fantastic. I did not expect this twist to the story. We are dealing with daily debates about what is appropriate, and I just don't know what is being overly cautious or taking stupid risks. Fortunately, my inlaws are the extremely nervous types, so they are overboard on reducing risks. We did go to their front lawn last week for a socially distanced hangout. Despite living 10 minutes away, we saw them once before, when they dropped something off at our front door and made the kids wait to come onto the porch until they were 15 feet away. We are debating either a visit to my parents house or them coming here. They started going to friends' houses for dinner. Takeout, eating outside and remaining distanced. I feel like their area had so few infections, I'm not worried about them.

Last night we went to a friend's house for my son's 8th grade graduation ceremony. They did a live-stream on Youtube. Friend set up a TV outside and had 4 families over. While they said we were all staying outside, they left all the food and drinks inside, and most of the people stayed inside after the ceremony. Nobody wore masks. Kids were all over each other. One woman showed up saying she is doing hugs and hugged half the people there. I'm definitely not ready for that. It felt wrong, and if we knew everyone would be forced inside, I don't think we would have gone. On the other hand, there are currently 2 active cases in my town (excluding the 50 active Long Term Care cases). We had 4 community deaths, 52 LTC deaths. I'm starting to feel like we need to get shit back to normal, but then I think it's not worth the risk. I need to figure out summer camps in the next week or two, and in-person soccer practice for my daughter starts Monday.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Since one or both of us will be home all summer, we decided to cancel all camps last week. We are giving softball a go since we can be there to monitor what's happening and I think the kids really need some interaction.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 pm Since one or both of us will be home all summer, we decided to cancel all camps last week. We are giving softball a go since we can be there to monitor what's happening and I think the kids really need some interaction.
We signed up for online classes, but those are mostly 1 hour a day. At least that will give some semblance of structure. I'd be ok with them having a summer like my childhood, roaming the streets with other kids, but the damned virus... They have been riding bikes with small groups of friends, and I think letting the play sports with other kids is soon to follow.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the company I retired from is changing 401-k providers. I have the option of moving my money to their new vendor, or rolling it into an IRA with the current provider. I've been happy with them, so I chose the latter. I spoke to a condescending rep regarding the transaction, and then sent him a detailed email noting my rollover plan and clearly noting the four exact mutual funds in which to reinvest my funds. He calls me back and goes over everything and takes me to the IRA section of the website. He says my choices are noted and asks me to give the formal sign-off. I take a quick look - and, fuck - two of the four funds are different than the instructions I gave him. I tell him it is incorrect. He goes, hmm, and puts me on hold for ten minutes. When he comes back, he says that since the funds are different, we can't do the sign-off right now, and for me to look for something in the mail in about a week to finalize things. What the fuck?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian