Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
phxgators wrote:Our HOA board is run by complete idiots (surprise, I know)...
HOA boards are full of morons. But builders are all dishonest. So I would be very cautious about believing anything the builder says in a letter.

In fact, I'm not sure if it is okay for the builder to send a lawyer to homeowners when he knows the HOA is represented by a lawyer.

Then again, on my other screen is a CLE legal ethics video about use of social media, warning against practicing law where you're not licensed. So maybe I'd better just STFU.
I'm sure glad we don't have an HOA where I live. Way back when I was young, and moved into a condo, the first home I ever bought, I was proud and excited to go my first HOA meeting. That is, until I had to listen to those assholes argue for an hour about the first thing on the agenda - whether or not to remove a dead small tree. Slipped out, and never attended one, again.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:That's why when I bought my place, I made sure the neighborhood didn't have an HOA. And that's pretty damn hard to do out here anywhere you'd want to live.
That is impressive. Wouldn't have thought it possible in the LV valley.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Then again, on my other screen is a CLE legal ethics video about use of social media, warning against practicing law where you're not licensed. So maybe I'd better just STFU.
No worries, your swamp law license is current, valid and in good standing.

ETA: context
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
HOA boards are full of morons. But builders are all dishonest. So I would be very cautious about believing anything the builder says in a letter.

In fact, I'm not sure if it is okay for the builder to send a lawyer to homeowners when he knows the HOA is represented by a lawyer.

Then again, on my other screen is a CLE legal ethics video about use of social media, warning against practicing law where you're not licensed. So maybe I'd better just STFU.
At this point I'm sure both sides are unfairly representing their position. And of course, the only winners here are the lawyers.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

phxgators wrote:And of course, the only winners here are the lawyers.
We can only hope.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: HOA boards are full of morons.
Hey!
Steve of phpBB wrote:But builders are all dishonest. So I would be very cautious about believing anything the builder says in a letter.

Never heard of a developer volunteering to fix defects. Something fishy is going on if they're offering their time/money outside of the construction warranty.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

P.D.X. wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote: HOA boards are full of morons.
Hey!
Steve of phpBB wrote:But builders are all dishonest. So I would be very cautious about believing anything the builder says in a letter.

Never heard of a developer volunteering to fix defects. Something fishy is going on if they're offering their time/money outside of the construction warranty.
They technically haven't offered yet, but they said they do stand behind their construction and they were not even given a chance to address the issue with the walls before the board talked to a lawyer. My guess is, they'd be willing to pay for the walls to be fixed rather than pay to defend themselves in a lawsuit and still possibly have to fix them later.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry, I need to vent.

For the first time in a long time I put myself in for NCO of the Quarter. It encompasses work and volunteer related stuff you did for a 3 month span. The period I covered is for April, May, and June. During this time I did some, what I felt, phenomenal work. Graduated college with a 3.9 gpa, worked the food booth for an international jump week operation raising thousands for our booster club, plus, not to mention, the stuff I have to get done for my three full time jobs: building manger, security manager, and logistics.

Well, the results are out and I lost. I hate it. I'm mad. I lost to a decent person, an acquaintance, but I honestly don't know what I could've done to win.

What makes it sting a bit more is that she got a DUI back in January. She told me the story and it sucks for her, but despite her couple drinks, she blew a .09 or whatever. Something like that it's a career killer, but her rebuttal, she says, saved her. And I know, what happened 6 months ago doesn't count, but still.

The awkward thing is that our award for winning this distinction is a beer stein. Today it will be presented by both our outgoing commander and incoming commander during a squadron cookout. So yea, presenting a beer stein to a person with a recent DUI.

One other wrinkle: I designed this beer stein. Took the time to research and seek out everything. I was given a fair amount of praise for it too. But, whatever.

So yea, I'm pretty mad about this.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man. Do you think she actually got credited for recovering from her fuck-up back in January?

I'm also sorry that some of the descriptions of your activities reminded me of this scene:
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not totally sure. Any number of things could affect the results. As for giving her something to help get her back on track? Possibly. In my mind, not losing a stripeand only her base driving privilege was enough for that.

And it doesn't always happen that your submitted package is looked at fairly. If you continuously submit for it, then eventually you'll break through. It sucks, but that's how it is. My problem is I'm not going to have strong items to constantly submit. If graduating college isn't good enough, what is?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I knocked my phone into a glass of water last night and the rice trick hasn't worked yet (my best friend said it took 3 days for his to dry off after falling into a fountain last year). I'm sure he is sick of me calling him and having him relay messages since I literally only know my brother's cell number, my best friend's cell and my mom's home number. I couldn't even begin to guess at other people's numbers...
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My first Yelp review...

It’s been a few months since I ate at Taso’s and look…the food is fine, the service is friendly, the prices are reasonable and the place has a cool retro feel to it. I didn’t write this review immediately because to be honest that last sentence just isn’t that interesting and I can only say so much about eating. So why did I wait so long to write this review? Because my grievance is the type of thing that just festers and lingers and wears on you gradually. It’s like a mild case of meningococcal meningitis but without the nausea and the itching. No, my story is far more important than you not getting your iced water or there being no toilet paper in the bathroom or the chili being too spicy. Mine is a story of deception.

Now on this night, I decided to opt for the calzone. I was thinking wheat dough with broccoli, cheese, meatball, and onions. So the menu says that you can get any three toppings and each additional topping after that is an extra 75 cents. Great and all but on the menu, only three of my four desired toppings are listed – Broccoli, Meatball, Onion. “What’s the deal with the cheese” I think to myself. Well, there is a topping called “Extra Cheese.” So as any thinking person would do in this case, I deduce that there must already be a pre-existing standard for cheese because you can’t have “extra” cheese without there already being a cheese. This is great news because I don’t want extra cheese and cheese just comes with it! I would have gladly paid the extra 75 cents for a fourth topping but hey…I’ll take my complimentary cheese, thank you very much. So what happens when I get my calzone? You guessed it…no cheese. Confirmed by the waitress that you have to order extra cheese…that’s just the “way the menu is set up.”

Picture of Menu: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/448x3 ... 4c5a11.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a day has gone by when I haven’t thought about the decision-making process that was used when that menu was being written. What would influence someone to list extra cheese as a topping when no standard for cheese has been set? “Extra” is a relative term which means there must already be a thing before there can be an extra thing! If you order a meatball sandwich but don’t ask for “extra sauce,” do you just get a roll with dry meatballs? If you go to an ice cream shop and the menu says, $1.50 for each extra scoop and you just order an ice cream cone, are they just going to give you an empty ice cream cone? That is complete and utter nonsense and I cannot reiterate this enough…

You cannot have extra cheese without first having a cheese standard!

So as much as I hate to make misguided assumptions, I have no choice but to think that this is intentionally deceiving the customer because anybody in their right mind has to understand that there needs to be a cheese before there can be an extra cheese. Even if it’s some type of marketing ploy like “Oh we put so much cheese in our calzones that all we have is extra cheese!” Well no…that’s not how it works. You can’t call your cheese topping “extra” because it happens to eclipse the amount of cheese that the Papa Gino’s down the street puts in their calzone.

Here’s the even bigger problem though…who wins in this game of menu antics that they are playing? Well, I certainly don’t win because I get deceived out of the luxury of having cheese in my calzone. Taso’s doesn’t even win because if only they were honest about their cheese intentions, I would have ordered a four topping calzone and they would have taken in more revenue! Do you know who does win? Two kinds of people:

1. Mindless sheep who don’t even consider the ramifications of a calzone only coming with extra cheese – Because when you undermine the intelligence of your customers, it’s the people who just willingly and without resistance make themselves a slave to your menu deception that win. Like we don’t cater enough to THAT demographic in this country already? Where has that gotten us Taso’s? I’ll tell you where it’s gotten us…It’s gotten us to the day where 5 of 9 members of the highest court in the land can unashamedly and without remorse decide that you…and only YOU…get to circumvent the law that says you must provide comprehensive healthcare to your employees BECAUSE…SURVEY SAYS…wait for it…WAIT FOR IT…fucking Jesus. But I digress…

2. People who wanted extra cheese on their calzones in the first place – Congratulations…you guys win.

So let’s fix this egregious error, Taso’s. Whether it was intentional or not, something needs to be done. Don’t do it for me; don’t do it for you. Do it for everyone who wants to live in a world where reason and intellectual honesty prevail.

Thank You.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Are you Walter Sobchak? Do you roll on Saturdays?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do they deliver?

Because you sure did! Ha!

That was great. Have them fix the "Peppers" vs "hot pepper" thing while they're at it.

ETA - actually, it's right on their Yelp page. They don't deliver.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[skims ... skims ... skims ... "Why isn't he tying this into religion" ... skims ... "There it is"]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

When it comes to calzone, cheese is not a luxury — it is a birthright.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I can't imagine how exhausting it must be to live with J-Lo.

(People who want extra cheese lose too, as ordering extra cheese just gets them a regular serving of cheese. They need to order a double extra cheese)
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

But at least they get cheese. They're better off than me.
When it comes to calzone, cheese is not a luxury — it is a birthright.
Fuckin' A!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:But at least they get cheese. They're better off than me.
But they didn't get the amount of cheese requested. While I agree that cheese should be implied in a calzone, the menu does list mozzarella as a topping. It says "fresh" mozzarella, so maybe they give you the real deal instead of the typical processed shredded stuff.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That rubbery shit that doesn't even melt? Nobody wants that in their calzone.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

By a goddamn mile, the worst part about this whole thing is that I absolutely have to agree with it
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was on your side until that comment.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ryan wrote:By a goddamn mile, the worst part about this whole thing is that I absolutely have to agree with it
Like Coach Knight says...if a rape's inevitable, you may as well just lay back and enjoy it.

Wait...what?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Who makes a calzone without cheese in it? Do you have to order the bread too?
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

An atheist walks into a calzone joint and says "make me one with nothing"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:An atheist walks into a calzone joint and says "make me one with nothing"
nothin'???

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:An atheist walks into a calzone joint and says "make me one with nothing"
Post of the week. Rass, love the commercial. Such a classic.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is well done.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You're just the best. The best.

Though you lucked out with your chosen pronunciation of calzone.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

i thought i heard a phone ringing about 2/3rds into the clip. had to be was columbia records calling, no?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hands down J-Lo's best work.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Is there like some douchey-guido New Jersey way of pronouncing "calzone" that I don't know about?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Is there like some douchey-guido New Jersey way of pronouncing "calzone" that I don't know about?
I pronounce it your way now.

I used to pronounce it cal-zoh-KNEE. That was in my school lunch days, but it seems to be common enough.

I would guess that the douchey NJ pronunciation would be the forced Italian-y cal-ZOH-nay. Note that I have picked up that sort of pronunciation on a number of such words since living here the last 15+ years. Ricotta, mozzarella, prosciutto.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Is there like some douchey-guido New Jersey way of pronouncing "calzone" that I don't know about?

I used to pronounce it cal-zoh-KNEE. That was in my school lunch days, but it seems to be common enough.

I would guess that the douchey NJ pronunciation would be the forced Italian-y cal-ZOH-nay. Note that I have picked up that sort of pronunciation on a number of such words since living here the last 15+ years. Ricotta, mozzarella, prosciutto.
They call them "Panzerottas" up here.

Although we used to call them "pus bags."

Still ate them though.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:

Don't forget capicola. Watching the Sopranos, I had no idea what they were eating when they had "gabagool" until I moved to Jersey and heard an older woman order it at the deli counter. Caught my attention and i had to look up to see what the deli guy gave gave her.

Never heard any alternate pronounciation for calzone. My Long Island Italian roommate yelled at me for my Americanized pronunciation of mozzarella, instead of muhtz-A-rell. In Jersey, its Mutz.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The proper way is to put on a gold chain and a black ribbed t-shirt that somehow doesn't match your black pants, go to the "best pizza shop in the fucking world" and order your ah-cal-ah-zoh-nay! Then bring one back to your mom who is still the only person who truly likes you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:

Don't forget capicola. Watching the Sopranos, I had no idea what they were eating when they had "gabagool" until I moved to Jersey and heard an older woman order it at the deli counter. Caught my attention and i had to look up to see what the deli guy gave gave her.
Ah, I forgot capicola. I actually had to correct myself and call it capi-coal once after asking for gabagool and getting a WTF look from the deli guy. I'm so lame. I picked that up just to make fun of my wife's family, and then just fell into using it myself.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm like the least Italian person ever but I live in a place where like 9 out of every 10 people's name ends in a vowel so I always feel awkward ordering Italian cold-cuts because no matter how I pronounce it, I either feel like I'm mocking the Italians or I'm just an uncultured twat. I usually end up saying something in between gabagool-capicola, mootadell-mortadella, etc. It's very stressful. If I ever walked into a Primanti Brothers and ordered a gabagool and cheese, I'd probably get punched in the face...as I should.