What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 pmWho made you Pope?
I beat him in high jump at the olympics. It’s like the elder wand.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rex wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 pm i just made a Crown and Canada Dry, which I don’t think I’ve ever done before. Why isn’t there a name for this?
Well, whiskey and ginger ale I've always called a Presbyterian. Though the recipe I googled (to see if it was a thing other than something I pulled off one of those drink posters in college) says it also calls for club soda and a twist of lemon.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:01 pmOh, a Dry Regina?
I don’t think this post got enough appreciation. It’s got everything - a good pun, a Canadian reference, and sexual innuendo!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

seconded. I got a needed chuckle.
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 am
I don’t think this post got enough appreciation. It’s got everything - a good pun, a Canadian reference, and sexual innuendo!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:34 am seconded. I got a needed chuckle.
It's a good one!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's excellent.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My wife has one of those.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:17 am
My wife has one of those.
Ben Shapiro?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Just poured a Dry Regina
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The grocery store in my neighborhood is closing in 2 weeks. Tonight they put all the beer, wine, and liquor (along with all the other 'hard goods') on sale at 30% off.

Did I buy a case of beer, some ciders, 8 bottles of wine, some dark rum, a bottle of 1792 boubon, and a bottle of Glenfiddich? Why yes I did...
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm The grocery store in my neighborhood is closing in 2 weeks. Tonight they put all the beer, wine, and liquor (along with all the other 'hard goods') on sale at 30% off.

Did I buy a case of beer, some ciders, 8 bottles of wine, some dark rum, a bottle of 1792 boubon, and a bottle of Glenfiddich? Why yes I did...
And you’re a better man for it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

serrano wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm The grocery store in my neighborhood is closing in 2 weeks. Tonight they put all the beer, wine, and liquor (along with all the other 'hard goods') on sale at 30% off.

I was going to get the 'more economical' bottle of Glenfiddich, and was shamed into upgrading by a friend who was there.

Will probably go back tomorrow and get more wine.

AB...is the 1792 any good?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm
serrano wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 pm

I was going to get the 'more economical' bottle of Glenfiddich, and was shamed into upgrading by a friend who was there.

Will probably go back tomorrow and get more wine.

AB...is the 1792 any good?
I’ve only had it once or twice but I do think I enjoyed it. It’s a good rocks bourbon or with a splash of branch water.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm about to crack open a plant-based beer. Y'know, to own the Magas.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:20 pm I'm about to crack open a plant-based beer. Y'know, to own the Magas.
Um. How do you usually get your beer made?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:36 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:20 pm I'm about to crack open a plant-based beer. Y'know, to own the Magas.
Um. How do you usually get your beer made?
I guessing that you missed this story ?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know where the fuck to put this, but its rare that anything seems "this can't be real" anymore. This nailed it:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gin and lemon spindrift.

Watching Collateral for the first time and really enjoying it (Cruise and Foxx are great and holy shit young Ruffalo). Feel like I’ve mentioned somewhere that I love “all in one day” or night movies, but I’m worried about where it’s going. Will let you know if I’m wrong.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GD it
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 pm Ever had a shrub? Made a batch of Watermelon/Mint shrub juice about a week ago. Took some water, mixed with sugar, vinegar and mint, and let it percolate in the fridge.
I have now. Figure this will be (1) good for the health and (2) a nice way to fake a drink during dry January. First two are blueberry and blood orange, in the fridge now and ready to go. We'll start with just that and sparkling water and probably start messing around with herbs or spices down the line. 27 nights to go, including tonight, so we've got time.

(The only real drawback here is that the obsessive part of me now wants to have a color spectrum of jars in the fridge but there's really nothing I can think of that would taste good and look green.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Having Manhattans with the wife. Nipping into two of my Christmas presents. Nice.

A boutique 110 proof rye made by Heaven Hill, and a Spanish vermouth that the snobby liquor store guy gushed about.

ImageImage
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Tonight, I’ve had a banana daiquiri, a pour of El Dorado 8-year, a pour of Pinhook Bohemian, and two bourbon and ginger beers (with Few Bottled in Bond bourbon).

I am … not sober.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wife and I are doing a modified Drynuary. No drinking during the week, then on Fri and Sat we have some wine (or whatever) but a reduced amount.

We are coupling those evenings with some weed.

The results one full week/weekend in... Positive!!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same here except we're going full dry for the month. Solid change from the pandemic norm.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We are also giving ourselves a pass for this upcoming trip to Denver.

The overall goal here is to pretty much set this as the standard going forward.

Biggest piece of this is breaking the routine of just sitting in front of the TV and plowing through shows and pouring wine all night. We watched some good stuff tonight while pre-packing the kids stuff. Now she's upstairs reading and I'm trying to finish the Boba Fett lego head. Thing's a beast.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Did a dry September this past year. That was a rough one. Football starting. Baseball winding down and the weather still good.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Christ. September is such a rough call I might want to sit down and rank the months from hardest to easiest.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 am Christ. September is such a rough call I might want to sit down and rank the months from hardest to easiest.
February is the only month I'd consider. And even then... no.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is just drinking less in general an option?

I ask as a mostly social drinker who will have a few beers every couple weeks.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:57 am Is just drinking less in general an option?

I'll just circle my post from above about patterns. At least for my wife and I, we just fell into a pattern (rut) where it went from a little bit per evening to a level that's just not healthy almost every day of the week.

But we also are giving ourselves some room to not just go cold turkey, because life is short and sometimes it's just nice to have some wine and watch some awesome TV, knowing you can sleep in and enjoy the next day.

It's really, for us, about just being healthier, and that all starts with dramatically reducing the intake.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:57 am Is just drinking less in general an option?

Drinking less generally is hard as fuck. Sucking it up for a month much more manageable on the psyche.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Similar to NLFC this is just more of a reconditioning. With everyone working from home, the lines between week and weekend have been blurred.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:48 am

Drinking less generally is hard as fuck. Sucking it up for a month much more manageable on the psyche.
It's the exact opposite for me. The thought of completely stopping for a month seems insurmountable, and my reflex is "what for, I enjoy alcohol, why would I quit?" If I wanted to cut back on the number of days I drink or limit myself to never having more than one drink in an evening, that seems easy. Speaking of conditioning, I find I crave a drink Thursday - Saturday nights, and have no desire Sunday - Tuesday. Wednesday can go either way. If I drink more than 3 or 4 days in a row, I'll crave a drink every night until I take a night off, then no craving. I think I just got used to only drinking towards the end of the work week and weekends.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 am

I'll just circle my post from above about patterns. At least for my wife and I, we just fell into a pattern (rut) where it went from a little bit per evening to a level that's just not healthy almost every day of the week.

But we also are giving ourselves some room to not just go cold turkey, because life is short and sometimes it's just nice to have some wine and watch some awesome TV, knowing you can sleep in and enjoy the next day.

It's really, for us, about just being healthier, and that all starts with dramatically reducing the intake.
I cut way back about 6 months ago. The GF and I were solidly in the 'sharing a bottle of wine with dinner every night' mode, but I was having bad insomnia, with lots of congestion when I would lay down to sleep, and the doctor recommended I stop drinking.

So I'm down to just drinking on Friday and Saturday nights now. And I still have trouble sleeping, regardless of whether I've had anything to drink or not.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Alcohol-induced insomnia ftw. I rarely drink on weeknights.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It fucking sucks not having drinks like i used to, but I feel loads better. I went from 10/10 - 11/26 without, then drank on Christmas weekend, then new years. Then I did again this past weekend, and brothers, let me tell you Monday fucking blew goats until I was able to eat. Drinking now wrecks my stomach and of course I have permanent liver damage.

My problem is I can't just do a drink or two. Magary wrote about this and he had same issue. It was 110% from the first drink until I made myself go to bed...because I would have to make myself go to bed otherwise I would just stay up drinking until it was gone. No blackouts, nothing more inappropriate than a misplaced joke or two (and I've proven I can do that stone cold sober as well) and no driving anywhere while drinking. So yeah, that's the type of drunk I am.

It sucks at times and I have to remind myself how much better I feel, but I know that I'm probably never going to be a casual drink after dinner kind of guy. It's a bit better on the pocketbook (we were buying a LOT of bourbon each week. Definitely not the good stuff, but not the worst either. ) but I still crave sweets if I am not drinking so I have to keep a close eye on that to not pack on the pounds quickly (still hanging right around 230, which is a weight I can live with but would like to be more active.)

On the plus side, I'm not losing weight unhealthily, I'm not having nosebleeds for a fun afternoon activity and I've been able to completely stop one medicine that was for stomach issues. So long as I take my Prilosec I don't have a messed up tummy unless I drink the night before. Got a Dr. Appt with more blood checks on 2/14, so I'm hoping all my levels are starting to return to better levels. They were slightly better after 3 weeks off so I'm hoping I didn't torpedo the whole thing with a few bad weekends. But over a month to right this ship and see where things stand.

I envy people that can have it and stop. I'm just not built that way. It took finally being honest with my doctors and listening finally to know it can't be the part of my life it was for so long.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk. YMMV and no one will ever get a judgement from me. When it comes to drinking, I'm the guy in Isbell's Songs She Sang in the Shower...

In a room
By myself
Looks like I'm here with a guy that I judged worse than anyone else

It fucking sucks not having drinks like i used to, but I feel loads better. I went from 10/10 - 11/26 without, then drank on Christmas weekend, then new years. Then I did again this past weekend, and brothers, let me tell you Monday fucking blew goats until I was able to eat. Drinking now wrecks my stomach and of course I have permanent liver damage.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good on you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, AB, we're wired the same way. I don't have the commensurate health stuff (yet), but I absolutely have a propensity to stay bellied up until someone turns out the lights.

Hence, I can't fool myself with "drinking less during the week"-- I have to go cold turkey.

My wife is perfectly capable of cutting it off after one/two glasses. I wish I could, but after all this time, gotta be honest with myself.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:48 am

Drinking less is much easier for me (and the wife) than completely turning off the faucet. So far in January, we've toned down the volume, but have some sort of alcohol almost every night. That works for us. We will undoubtedly drink much more if we are socializing with friends, but we've cut way back on that due to Covid.