What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by BSF21 »

Centerpoint Blood Orange IPA and a swing in the hammock after I spent 3 hrs working in the yard today.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

excuse me I can't drink for hashtag health until I go for a run here in a while and then it's genessee time
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 pm excuse me I can't drink for hashtag health until I go for a run here in a while and then it's genessee time
C'mon, dude. Kansas City has some good craft brews. You can do better than Genessee.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 pm excuse me I can't drink for hashtag health until I go for a run here in a while and then it's genessee time
C'mon, dude. Kansas City has some good craft brews. You can do better than Genessee.
Not Genny!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:22 pm It’s a really nice night and it’s late September so there are a dwindling few left this year but I’ve cut myself off at one Old Fashioned because one of the wiener kids had XC practice and then was going to go to a diner near the HS to scarf down pasta with her teammates before a “scrimmage” meet tomorrow and someone has to pick her up afterwards and my wife got drunk before I had a chance to.
I blame the coaches.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's possible to enjoy good beer and bad beer, especially when that bad beer tastes good and is $6 a 15-pack
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:34 pm
it's possible to enjoy good beer and bad beer, especially when that bad beer tastes good and is $6 a 15-pack
It's possible to enjoy a bad beer, but it's not possible to enjoy a Genny. I'm really surprised they distribute that far away. I always thought they were a fairly local upstate NY thing. Never thought there would be a market for their swill beyond local. Genny Ice is possibly the worst beer we drank in high school. One friend with a good fake ID almost exclusively bought Genny Ice. I could never tell if he actually preferred it to other cheep beers, or just bought it to piss off the rest of us.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:12 pm
It's possible to enjoy a bad beer, but it's not possible to enjoy a Genny. I'm really surprised they distribute that far away. I always thought they were a fairly local upstate NY thing. Never thought there would be a market for their swill beyond local. Genny Ice is possibly the worst beer we drank in high school. One friend with a good fake ID almost exclusively bought Genny Ice. I could never tell if he actually preferred it to other cheep beers, or just bought it to piss off the rest of us.
Show Genny Cream Ale some respect!

(I also grew up in upstate NY and had no idea you could find Genny in Missouri even though I've lived here for 6 years now.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:35 pm

(I also grew up in upstate NY and had no idea you could find Genny in Missouri even though I've lived here for 6 years now.)
I will not. Where did you grow up?

And it just sank in... $6 for a 15 pack? That can't be right, is this 1982 pricing?
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 pm

And it just sank in... $6 for a 15 pack? That can't be right, is this 1982 pricing?
Albany area. Genny was readily available there.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I love good beer and probably split 50/50 on nice stuff and PBR or Miller Lite or Old Style
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:53 pm I love good beer and probably split 50/50 on nice stuff and PBR or Miller Lite or Old Style
I will absolutely drink a cheap beer when I’m planning on having a few at a pool party or cookout or whatnot. High life has always been my go to.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m happy to drink cheap beer if circumstances dictate. But circumstances usually don’t dictate. And so I can usually have a good beer.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:12 pm

genny cream the goat (and genny ice sucks)
The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 pm

$7 a case at my favorite liquor store and $6 a case at my second favorite. I bought four cases when i was there a month or so ago.
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:53 pm I love good beer and probably split 50/50 on nice stuff and PBR or Miller Lite or Old Style
I will absolutely drink a cheap beer when I’m planning on having a few at a pool party or cookout or whatnot. High life has always been my go to.
this is also the most important aspect here. four IPAs and I feel super full and like I drank a six pack. four cheap/light beers and it's like I'm drinking water. quantity is sometimes far more important than quality, especially when I don't want to feel like shit ahead of my 6:30 a.m. tee time
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 pm
this is also the most important aspect here. four IPAs and I feel super full and like I drank a six pack. four cheap/light beers and it's like I'm drinking water. quantity is sometimes far more important than quality, especially when I don't want to feel like shit ahead of my 6:30 a.m. tee time
I couldn't disagree more on the hangover aspect. Cheap beer is way more likely to make you feel like shit in the morning. I have nothing against cheap beer, it's just that I rarely drink more than 2 beers in a given day. If we are at a social event, I'm either driving or with my kids or both. If I'm hosting, I'm not pounding swill, I'll drink good beer throughout the day. Most of the beer I like is high alcohol, so you can drink 2 beers and get the same effect of drinking 6 cheap beers, but enjoy sipping throughout the evening rather than pounding swill.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 pm
I couldn't disagree more on the hangover aspect. Cheap beer is way more likely to make you feel like shit in the morning. I have nothing against cheap beer, it's just that I rarely drink more than 2 beers in a given day. If we are at a social event, I'm either driving or with my kids or both. If I'm hosting, I'm not pounding swill, I'll drink good beer throughout the day. Most of the beer I like is high alcohol, so you can drink 2 beers and get the same effect of drinking 6 cheap beers, but enjoy sipping throughout the evening rather than pounding swill.
I drink a lot of IPAs during the winter but it gets so damn hot in Missouri during the summers that a lot of times I’d just rather drink a cheap domestic or Mexican lager. I feel like a slug if I drink an IPA or high ABV beer on a day where it’s 90+ with high humidity.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Genny Cream was the first beer I ever drank, and we get it in Colorado. The cheap beer of choice here is PBR, but I'm a Coors Banquet man if I'm going the swill route...there are also a couple of good craft lagers/pils here there are great on a hot day.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I like an occasional Coors banquet, but if it’s hot and I want to quench my thirst with something light-tasting, what I really enjoy is a good German or Czech Pilsner.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:12 am I like an occasional Coors banquet, but if it’s hot and I want to quench my thirst with something light-tasting, what I really enjoy is a good German or Czech Pilsner.
Bierstadt in Denver is killing it their slow-pour pils is fantastic.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am Bierstadt in Denver is killing it their slow-pour pils is fantastic.
You tried Kettle & Spoke yet? Had a great pils there the other night.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Tonight, I finally finished off the bottle of Old Fitzgerald AB left at my house last June. It's a fine mixing bourbon.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:18 pm Tonight, I finally finished off the bottle of Old Fitzgerald AB left at my house last June. It's a fine mixing bourbon.
Yeah you aren’t gonna want to drink it on the rocks very often.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Are you kidding? The Bolts are gonna clinch. Of course, I'm drinking.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am Bierstadt in Denver is killing it their slow-pour pils is fantastic.
You tried Kettle & Spoke yet? Had a great pils there the other night.

Have to put it on the list.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sazerac cocktail.
Wife got me a little bottle of absinthe awhile back, so I’m enjoying finding ways to use it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Mmmm. I think I have a little more sazerac left.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Y'all, the Answer brewpub in RVA is my favorite brewpub on the planet. Every beer is amazing, and the food is so damn good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What is rVA. Richmond?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yup. Get with it, bro.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:04 pm Yup. Get with it, bro.
Well. I figured it out so?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 pm Y'all, the Answer brewpub in RVA is my favorite brewpub on the planet. Every beer is amazing, and the food is so damn good.

I used to have a conference in VA beach that I went to each year. Got to fly into Richmond and hit The Answer. It has been in VaB for like 30 years. They started move it and we got to go to Orlando! and Detroit!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 pm Y'all, the Answer brewpub in RVA is my favorite brewpub on the planet. Every beer is amazing, and the food is so damn good.
My most beer-obsessed friend raves about The Answer. He spends his free time organizing beer trades and paying local people around the country to go to small breweries and ship him stuff. He is nuts, but he gives away a lot of what he collects. He also does two "beer-cations" a year with his college friends. They spend a week hitting up the best breweries in New England. He brings back a trunk full for the rest of us. I'm always on a mission to get something worthy enough for him to accept as a return gift. With my annual business trip to Boston/Trillium cancelled, I'm falling way behind.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So, the Answer is a brewery/brewpub that started when the son of the owners of a local Vietnamese restaurant decided to start brewing. I don't know the full backstory, but it's a place with ~40 taps or so, and generally 85% of those are brewed in house. They've got two large sections of their that they're known for, their Joose offerings and their heavier stuff. The Jooses are all fruit based beers that are somewhat like drinking an alcoholic smoothie, but not quite as thick. Each one I've had is delicious. Their heavier stuff is in many ways your section of the menu with the 10-15% ABV dark stuff that's likely barrel aged. That's a type of beer I usually don't get anywhere, but the Answer has managed to not make them super boozy tasting somehow. The remaining 50% of the taps are the normal mix of beers you'd see at any reputable brewery, (pales, IPAS, DIPAS, red and brown ales, saisons, etc.). The food is bar food done well, with more than a few items that have a Vietnamese spin to them. I think the thing they do best is manage the sweetness on their sweet beers. It's really easy on both Jooses and heavy, high ABV stuff for the sweetness to be overwhelming. Not here. It's just sweet enough. Almost Goldilocksian.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:12 am I like an occasional Coors banquet, but if it’s hot and I want to quench my thirst with something light-tasting, what I really enjoy is a good German or Czech Pilsner.
Bierstadt in Denver is killing it their slow-pour pils is fantastic.
Bierstadt was our favorite place in Denver in August ... and we only ended up there because the bartender at the brewery we went to originally forgot about us. It was a great and lucky find.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am This guy used to talk about going to Richmond for beer. I guess I know where he went now.
That guy sounds pretty great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am This guy used to talk about going to Richmond for beer. I guess I know where he went now.
Not The Veil? That's their big Trillium-level name.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:28 am
Hardywood seems to be a bigger name around here as well. I haven't been to Veil or Hardywood. It's hard to tell from their site whether Veil has outdoor seating, and I'm not going to drink indoors right now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 am
Hardywood seems to be a bigger name around here as well. I haven't been to Veil or Hardywood. It's hard to tell from their site whether Veil has outdoor seating, and I'm not going to drink indoors right now.
Looks like Veil ships to a few states. No NJ or FL though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 am
Looks like Veil ships to a few states. No NJ or FL though.
Same friend and a few others are obsessed with The Veil. Another friend dragged me to Other Half in Brooklyn when they did a collaboration with The Veil. I've heard The Answer is known for their fruited sours. I also like some of their beer names, like Jenny Cream Ale and You Put Your Wheat in There.
-Pruitt