The Official Pussification of America Thread (Mostly Sports)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: The Official Pussification of America Thread (Mostly Sports)

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:No one should be surprised that Canada - and specifically Ontario - has been held hostage by radical pussifiers for quite some time.

It's now the law in Ontario that ...
food service providers with 20 or more locations in the province -- such as restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores, grocery stores and movie theatres -- to include the number of calories for each food and beverage item on their menus, labels or tags.

Holy shit, they have to tell you what shit is in their shit?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote:
Pruitt wrote:No one should be surprised that Canada - and specifically Ontario - has been held hostage by radical pussifiers for quite some time.

It's now the law in Ontario that ...
food service providers with 20 or more locations in the province -- such as restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores, grocery stores and movie theatres -- to include the number of calories for each food and beverage item on their menus, labels or tags.

Holy shit, they have to tell you what shit is in their shit?
I'm just pissed off because I ordered the ahi tuna salad instead of the club sandwich with fries.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:"Nanny-stating" would be charging more taxes on something because it has more calories or something like that. Information isn't a bad thing.
And of course San Francisco and Oakland voters approved hefty new taxes on soda pop in the recent election, to attempt to curb consumption. Berkeley already had it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:"Nanny-stating" would be charging more taxes on something because it has more calories or something like that. Information isn't a bad thing.
And of course San Francisco and Oakland voters approved hefty new taxes on soda pop in the recent election, to attempt to curb consumption. Berkeley already had it.
Right and I don't agree with that. But I don't see how posting calorie counts is a bad thing or "pussification".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Right and I don't agree with that. But I don't see how posting calorie counts is a bad thing or "pussification".
I appreciate the counts being posted where possible. Goes a long way in my decision making when I'm on the road for work. Panera Bread gets a lot of my lunch visits for this reason.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Posting calorie counts doesn't seem like the kind of thing I want my government enforcing, though. That's the sort of thing that should spread more like peer pressure - the better restaurants do it, then customers at the other places start asking for them. Then, it's up to each restaurant to decide if they want to. I can't see how it rises to the level of law.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Posting calorie counts doesn't seem like the kind of thing I want my government enforcing, though. That's the sort of thing that should spread more like peer pressure - the better restaurants do it, then customers at the other places start asking for them. Then, it's up to each restaurant to decide if they want to. I can't see how it rises to the level of law.
You could have made the same argument about mandatory seat belts in the 1970s (the better car companies will include them and people will want to be safe so it doesn't matter if the car costs an extra hundred dollars. Let the market decide!).

Sometimes the government interest is to get involved for the general well-being of its people, especially when you're talking about something as picayune as posting calories on a menu. It's not like there's some onerous financial burden on restaurants made to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
Shirley wrote:Posting calorie counts doesn't seem like the kind of thing I want my government enforcing, though. That's the sort of thing that should spread more like peer pressure - the better restaurants do it, then customers at the other places start asking for them. Then, it's up to each restaurant to decide if they want to. I can't see how it rises to the level of law.
You could have made the same argument about mandatory seat belts in the 1970s (the better car companies will include them and people will want to be safe so it doesn't matter if the car costs an extra hundred dollars. Let the market decide!).

Sometimes the government interest is to get involved for the general well-being of its people, especially when you're talking about something as picayune as posting calories on a menu. It's not like there's some onerous financial burden on restaurants made to do so.
Well, there's a much shorter, direct line between seat belts and death than with food calories. And this isn't legislating lower calorie meals (I wouldn't be for that either).

I do wonder about the cost and process of obtaining the calorie numbers. I guess they have to send their finished, cooked meals out to some sort of testing facility? Pretty lucrative gig for them, I'd think.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Most fast food and major chains already have that data available. I'll grant that it's probably more onerous for the "mom and pop" type places.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I agree with this sentiment as well. I don't think it should be government mandated but I agree it is a slick slope. You can take it down the slick slope of "since my government requires me to buy into health insurance and some people treat their bodies like shit why shouldn't the government restrict soda size or candy sales or require calorie counts?" pretty quickly. Sometimes I don't even know what to think. Put it this way: in Indianapolis (Marion County), it's illegal to smoke in a bar/restaurant. I think it's shitty to tell someone who runs a business what they have to mandate their customers do, but at the same time, for me, it's the best law ever. I don't know how to feel about shit like that. I'd love a world where I just wouldn't give them my business if they let people smoke indoors and they could do what they want with it, but at the same time would feel really shitty for an 18 year old having to work in that environment when they're trying to make some scratch to get by.

Nothing is black and white.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:Most fast food and major chains already have that data available. I'll grant that it's probably more onerous for the "mom and pop" type places.

They aren't mom and pop, though - they have >20 locations in Ontario.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:

Well, there's a much shorter, direct line between seat belts and death than with food calories. And this isn't legislating lower calorie meals (I wouldn't be for that either).

I do wonder about the cost and process of obtaining the calorie numbers. I guess they have to send their finished, cooked meals out to some sort of testing facility? Pretty lucrative gig for them, I'd think.
Sometimes being forced to reveal this information is enough to spur improvement. Didn't it help gas mileage when car makers had to do it?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of a sidebar, but as for labeling, some folks actually really need that information. If you are diabetic, you are taught how to read those labels like it's your damn job.

And a LOT of folks suffer from the 'betes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:
brian wrote:Most fast food and major chains already have that data available. I'll grant that it's probably more onerous for the "mom and pop" type places.

They aren't mom and pop, though - they have >20 locations in Ontario.
Good point. I'm fine with smaller restaurants being exempted.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote:And a LOT of folks suffer from the 'betes.
And one of those reasons is that they don't have a real idea of how many calories are in various foods they eat.

I have absolutely no problem with the government requiring mass-market sellers of food to tell buyers what is in there. Just like nutritional labelling for food packaging. I don't think there is a shred of a chance that the market would solve that problem, as evidenced by the fact that we've had fast food and chain restaurants for decades, and they did not post calorie counts until the government made them.

I also have no problem with the government taxing sugary soda or whatever. It is a way to make the activity bear the cost. And even if it is a nanny state thing, there are a lot of people who need nannying when it comes to stuff like that.

A few years ago I read Predictably Irrational. It did a great job of showing that for a lot of decisions, people really cannot act rationally. If a 16-ounce soda costs $1.89, but the 32-ounce soda costs $2.19, people will always buy the 32-ounce. Corporations are well aware of this and take advantage of it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Wilderness is too risky for outdoors clubs
A near-century-old outdoor recreation club will now refrain from going outside because it is too dangerous out in the wilderness, according to officials at Penn State University.

The Penn State Outing Club, originally founded in 1920, announced last week that the university will no longer allow the club to organize outdoor, student-led trips starting next semester. The hiking, camping and other outdoors-focused activities the student-led club has long engaged in are too risky, the university's offices of Student Affairs and Risk Management determined.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am Wilderness is too risky for outdoors clubs
A near-century-old outdoor recreation club will now refrain from going outside because it is too dangerous out in the wilderness, according to officials at Penn State University.

The Penn State Outing Club, originally founded in 1920, announced last week that the university will no longer allow the club to organize outdoor, student-led trips starting next semester. The hiking, camping and other outdoors-focused activities the student-led club has long engaged in are too risky, the university's offices of Student Affairs and Risk Management determined.
That...angers me. Mostly because I wish I had done more stuff like that back in my college days.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It would seem to me that this InCel flag belongs here in the pussification of America.

Boohoo life is fucking hard. You'll get yours if you make yourself into an interesting person.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or maybe the university is just helping the adult Boy Scout save face after no one signed up?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am It would seem to me that this InCel flag belongs here in the pussification of America.

Boohoo life is fucking hard. You'll get yours if you make yourself into an interesting person.
Maybe in an "evils of social media" thread.

Agree that these guys are the worst form of babies, but one loser can spur on another loser far too easily in "the dark corners of the web."

And not making a joke here, but it is remarkable easy to find massage or body rub parlours in this city. They seem to be in every strip mall. Clearly more to this homicidal maniac's issues than a lack of female contact.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am It would seem to me that this InCel flag belongs here in the pussification of America.

That was Canada, man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm

That was Canada, man.
To be fair, the whole root of that movement was that asshole in Santa Barbara and I assume there's lots of adherents in the US. That said, yeah I see the desire to clarify a bit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 am
testuser2 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am Wilderness is too risky for outdoors clubs

That...angers me. Mostly because I wish I had done more stuff like that back in my college days.
And yet, 100s of other schools offer something very similar and they aren't being shut down.

Penn State has had a number of major scandals involving student deaths recently. This was a very stupid decision, especially given the fact that rugby, hockey and football (to name a few) all see multiple students injured every week.

This smells deeply of a skittish university limiting liability by eliminating what it thought was a low-profile club.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:54 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm

That was Canada, man.
To be fair, the whole root of that movement was that asshole in Santa Barbara and I assume there's lots of adherents in the US. That said, yeah I see the desire to clarify a bit.
I was just being flippant. I know this country is ground zero for these little fuckheads.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I just got back from the grocery store to get some supplies for the cat. I bought two 20-pound jugs of litter and a five-pound bag of cat food. The portly, 20s-ish male cashier saw me carrying these up to the belt and his jaw dropped. "How can you carry all of that by yourself? It's so heavy," he said.

Seriously? Carrying 45 pounds is now an impressive feat?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

He just wants a bite of your beefy thighs.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I went to a cobbler
To fix a hole in my shoe
He took one look at my face and said
"I can fix that hole in you."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Firstly, I highly doubt that is the reason. More importantly, the man is named after a hat. :)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thank you for your service.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This guy is insane.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Doesn't see the link between football and CTE, either.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Was just gonna post that!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 pm Doesn't see the link between football and CTE, either.
Or apparently the link between CTE and head coaching football at UNC.

The dude is the embodiment of an actual fedora come to life. I'm just waiting for him to drop a "m'lady" at some point.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:26 pm The dude is the embodiment of an actual fedora come to life.
That is just magical to try to picture. :)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 pm Doesn't see the link between football and CTE, either.
I asked football if it contributes to cases of CTE, and it powerfully told me no. And I can't see why it would, so I believe football over all of the evidence.

BTW, Bronto is going to get killed over this line: " And other democracies function just fine without American football being a staple of the sports landscape."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:24 pm
I asked football if it contributes to cases of CTE, and it powerfully told me no. And I can't see why it would, so I believe football over all of the evidence.

BTW, Bronto is going to get killed over this line: " And other democracies function just fine without American football being a staple of the sports landscape."
He sure is. Like this is still a democracy...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

First comment I saw figured out how to end foreign interference in elections...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's a funny thing. Football makes you have a great military, Aussie rules football makes you have a lesser military, Rugby makes your military great in the 19th century, and Futbol, well, the evidence suggests it might be connected to terrorism.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian