The Pot Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Pot Thread

Post by sancarlos »

Recreational pot is legal in California, but the number of dispensaries is actually quite low so far, except in certain big cities. Some of that is just administrative red tape to be cleared. But...

The Peninsula (the area between San Francisco and San Jose, west of the Bay) is the kind of liberal enclave that will vote to legalize pot, but prohibit any local dispensaries.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm Recreational pot is legal in California, but the number of dispensaries is actually quite low so far, except in certain big cities. Some of that is just administrative red tape to be cleared. But...

The Peninsula (the area between San Francisco and San Jose, west of the Bay) is the kind of liberal enclave that will vote to legalize pot, but prohibit any local dispensaries.
That will last long enough to see the surrounding areas hoover up all of the tax revenue and they'll break. It happened in Colorado, Oregon and Nevada too (not sure about Washington, but I'd assume.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm Recreational pot is legal in California, but the number of dispensaries is actually quite low so far, except in certain big cities. Some of that is just administrative red tape to be cleared. But...

While it remains illegal under Federal law, the obstacles to running dispensaries are enormous. The conference I went to the last time we met up, I sat in on a talk with two guys who run one of the largest dispensaries and grow operations in Colorado. Fascinating discussion, as they were big firm lawyers, and now run a dispensary, grow op, and head the largest lobbying organization for the marijuana industry. They are sitting on millions in cash, because they can't use banks, so they have to hire major armed security. They have to pay bills in cash, and often have the cash refused, as it smells like weed. They need to throw bags of cash in laundry driers with fabric softeners to get rid of the smell in order to spend the money. Paying Federal taxes, they have to declare the proceeds as illegally obtained profits. They risk being prosecuted for declaring taxes on what is a legally regulated industry on the state level. It's insane. I wouldn't invest in a dispensary with the Keebler Elf heading the DOJ threatening to crack down on legal dispensaries. The ATF could storm in any day and seize all of the merchandise and assets in your shop. It's insanity.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 amWhile it remains illegal under Federal law, the obstacles to running dispensaries are enormous. The conference I went to the last time we met up, I sat in on a talk with two guys who run one of the largest dispensaries and grow operations in Colorado. Fascinating discussion, as they were big firm lawyers, and now run a dispensary, grow op, and head the largest lobbying organization for the marijuana industry. They are sitting on millions in cash, because they can't use banks, so they have to hire major armed security. They have to pay bills in cash, and often have the cash refused, as it smells like weed. They need to throw bags of cash in laundry driers with fabric softeners to get rid of the smell in order to spend the money. Paying Federal taxes, they have to declare the proceeds as illegally obtained profits. They risk being prosecuted for declaring taxes on what is a legally regulated industry on the state level. It's insane. I wouldn't invest in a dispensary with the Keebler Elf heading the DOJ threatening to crack down on legal dispensaries. The ATF could storm in any day and seize all of the merchandise and assets in your shop. It's insanity.
Wait - so they are literally laundering money?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My youngest son invited his buddy to go bowling today. My wife is sick, so I take him to meet this kid at the lanes and it is utter chaos. Two hour wait for lanes.

I’m expecting my kids’ friend to be with his mom, but dad shows up instead, good guy. Our kids have been tight for years and we go trick or treating with them and do other kids stuff. We’ve never hung out without kids involved.

So we decide bowling ain’t happenin’ With kids like mine, changes in routine cause problems sometimes. BUT both kids handled it and I suggested I take his kid to my house and they can play there. I’m giving this Autism dad two free hours without his kid. This is gold in my world. I tell him goodbye. I give him a smile and tell him “you owe me”. I load the boys in the car and I’m walking around and he runs over and slides something in my coat pocket and says “I hope you like chocolate and peanut butter, don’t eat this before driving my kid anywhere”.

This thing is a Hershey bar size edible. I have NO idea how strong it is. I don’t even know if I have this guy’s phone number to thank him or ask him what I’m holding.

Despite the long rambling nature of this post, no, I haven’t tried it yet. That doesn’t mean I’m not high, just not on the chocolate.

That Skywalker OG is no joke.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm My youngest son invited his buddy to go bowling today. My wife is sick, so I take him to meet this kid at the lanes and it is utter chaos. Two hour wait for lanes.

I’m expecting my kids’ friend to be with his mom, but dad shows up instead, good guy. Our kids have been tight for years and we go trick or treating with them and do other kids stuff. We’ve never hung out without kids involved.

So we decide bowling ain’t happenin’ With kids like mine, changes in routine cause problems sometimes. BUT both kids handled it and I suggested I take his kid to my house and they can play there. I’m giving this Autism dad two free hours without his kid. This is gold in my world. I tell him goodbye. I give him a smile and tell him “you owe me”. I load the boys in the car and I’m walking around and he runs over and slides something in my coat pocket and says “I hope you like chocolate and peanut butter, don’t eat this before driving my kid anywhere”.

This thing is a Hershey bar size edible. I have NO idea how strong it is. I don’t even know if I have this guy’s phone number to thank him or ask him what I’m holding.

Despite the long rambling nature of this post, no, I haven’t tried it yet. That doesn’t mean I’m not high, just not on the chocolate.

Did this guy know you like pot? If not, that is a damned ballsy move.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If it's segmented I'd bet it's 10mg/piece.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma, do you deliver? I'm going to be in Hartford next week, but no chance to make it over this time unfortunately.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm My youngest son invited his buddy to go bowling today. My wife is sick, so I take him to meet this kid at the lanes and it is utter chaos. Two hour wait for lanes.

No, I have never partied with him and I doubt it was something I would mention to him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm
No, I have never partied with him and I doubt it was something I would mention to him.
I don't know, just looking at you, you seem like a huge pot head.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Kind of curious how it is in other places, but do parents hide the fact that they use pot? In my greater circle of local acquaintances, I am sure there are a sizable number of parents who smoke/vape/eat, but it's very hidden. I'm curious if anyone would care, or if most people in my town would accept it like responsible drinking. I hadn't thought about it before, but I was at a small dinner party 3 other couples. One guy is in his early 50s, went to college with some of the guys in Phish, and still goes to a lot of their shows. He pretty much wears concert t-shirts and teaches tennis lessons and coaches HS tennis. I would have been surprised if he didn't use, but the conversation turned to vape pen preferences, and I was shocked at one of the mothers joining in. She is an executive at a very well known national company, and just not someone I ever would have pictured as a user. They started name dropping other parents they smoke with, and I was really surprised by some of the names. I genuinely don't care, I was just surprised, and wondered how prevalent it is here and elsewhere. I remember finding out a friend's father smoked pot when we were in HS, and it was shocking. More shocking, because he was a pulmonologist. My friend used to pinch his stash, and that shit was crazy good. No idea what it was, but it was hairy and almost purple. Then my friend got caught stealing it, that had to be an awkward conversation.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:33 pm Is pot supposed to be good for people with ADHD? I'm seriously taking that into account in deciding if I should put on a hard sell for my son to go to college in CO.
I don't think you'll get an unbiased source but it appears to be a targeted condition for CBD extracts.

https://cbdoilsandedibles.com/cbd-for-add-and-adhd/
Thanks. Helpful link.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

OG Kush and Blueberry (Indica) on the menu today. I give them both a thumbs up.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think this is real?

From NJ's largest paper:
NJ Cannabis Insider is a premium intelligence briefing by NJ.com. New issues are released every Thursday.

A premium intelligence report about the politics and business of legalized cannabis in New Jersey unlike anything offered, anywhere. It is filled with original reporting and expert perspectives aimed exclusively at New Jersey cannabis entrepreneurs, lawyers, realtors or other professionals aiming to serve the industry.

-Password-protected access to original and exclusive content every Thursday about the NJ cannabis business that only appears on NJ Cannabis Insider.
-Comprehensive coverage of every twist and turn — and fine-print change — in the legislative effort to legalize recreational marijuana in New Jersey.
-The most valuable news and trends in cannabis-related finance, real estate, security and other services in New Jersey, presented in an engaging new format.
-Insights from the key power players shaping every angle of the NJ cannabis industry, with interviews and guest columns from the business experts who know best.
-Membership to a closed Facebook group for exclusive access to reporters and behind-the-scenes content with NJ Cannabis Insider subscribers and experts.
-Subscriber-only discounts on NJ Cannabis Insider expert panels, networking sessions and other events.
$29.99 a month? I guess they're aiming for people who want to get in on the retail side if/when this happens?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This kind of goes back to what sancarlos was saying about certain cities and municipalities opting out of have dispensaries in their cities.

Some of the backwards rural cities in Nevada have decided not to allow sales in their communities, but the Native American tribes in Nevada have decided to wade in.

This story is one of my favorites. City/county decides to not allow it, Native tribe gets approval and proceeds to stick a dispensary right in the middle of their Mayberry-ass downtown.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I want to do this one day:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's a bit more sophisticated than the 2-liter soda bottle and bucket of water we'd use in college.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm That's a bit more sophisticated than the 2-liter soda bottle and bucket of water we'd use in college.
Eh, the 2-liter bottle had a rustic charm.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm That's a bit more sophisticated than the 2-liter soda bottle and bucket of water we'd use in college.
And is a great way to absolutely destroy your lungs in a matter of a few minutes.

Confession: I still own a 2-liter bottle cap that has a bowl built onto it. Just can't seem to convince myself to get rid of it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm
And is a great way to absolutely destroy your lungs in a matter of a few minutes.

Confession: I still own a 2-liter bottle cap that has a bowl built onto it. Just can't seem to convince myself to get rid of it.

If you don't cough you don't get off!

(I was jealous of the kid that had the 3-liter gravity bong!)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My vape pen guy is out for right now, had to buy some flowers. Coughed like Seth after the first toke. I'm much better now.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hypothetically speaking, I may be spending two days in Golden Colorado next week. Any recommendations of what paraphernalia and form of cannabis I should buy to bring back to Utah for me and my wife? She can't drink much anymore due to certain medications, so I thought we'd branch out into pot. And I've always been too scared of getting arrested to buy it illegally. (But I'm fine transporting it across state lines.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 pm Hypothetically speaking, I may be spending two days in Golden Colorado next week. Any recommendations of what paraphernalia and form of cannabis I should buy to bring back to Utah for me and my wife? She can't drink much anymore due to certain medications, so I thought we'd branch out into pot. And I've always been too scared of getting arrested to buy it illegally. (But I'm fine transporting it across state lines.)
Pretty soon you're going to be able to drive a couple of hours to West Wendover and get whatever you want.

But for now, I'd suggest either a vape pen or edibles. Here at least most dispensaries sell disposable vape pens so you could start with that (buying a battery/pen and then purchasing the cartridges is fine, but might not make a lot of sense just yet).

The trade off with the disposables is they're typically a little more expensive, but if you're not getting that much to start no reason to worry about having a pen/battery at home that you can't get new cartridges for.

Edibles run the gamut, but figure out what your wife prefers (chocolate or gummies or something else) and then go from there. The budtender at the dispensary you choose should be really helpful with which way to go edible-wise. My personal preference with edibles is gummies since it's fairly easy to control dosing and they're MUCH more portable than chocolate or candies. Typically, each gummy is about 10mg THC which is plenty for me for a few hours but not so much I'm glued to the couch or a zombie.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

"Budtender" brings tears to my eyes.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm "Budtender" brings tears to my eyes.
Is that what they call a white person that sells drugs?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm
bfj wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm "Budtender" brings tears to my eyes.
Is that what they call a white person that sells drugs?
I call him Jason, but whatever.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 pm Hypothetically speaking, I may be spending two days in Golden Colorado next week. Any recommendations of what paraphernalia and form of cannabis I should buy to bring back to Utah for me and my wife? She can't drink much anymore due to certain medications, so I thought we'd branch out into pot. And I've always been too scared of getting arrested to buy it illegally. (But I'm fine transporting it across state lines.)
If you go the edibles route I'd recommend the Wana brand of gummies. Like Brian said they come in 10mg pieces and are very consistent. (In the early days of legalization, the THC was sprayed on to the candy, which lead to varied results. Now it's actually part of the formula.) I cut them in half as 5mg is fine for me for a few hours. They're about $25/bottle for 10 gummies.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm
If you go the edibles route I'd recommend the Wana brand of gummies. Like Brian said they come in 10mg pieces and are very consistent. (In the early days of legalization, the THC was sprayed on to the candy, which lead to varied results. Now it's actually part of the formula.) I cut them in half as 5mg is fine for me for a few hours. They're about $25/bottle for 10 gummies.
Damn. Sounds perfect.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm
Pretty soon you're going to be able to drive a couple of hours to West Wendover and get whatever you want.

But for now, I'd suggest either a vape pen or edibles. Here at least most dispensaries sell disposable vape pens so you could start with that (buying a battery/pen and then purchasing the cartridges is fine, but might not make a lot of sense just yet).

The trade off with the disposables is they're typically a little more expensive, but if you're not getting that much to start no reason to worry about having a pen/battery at home that you can't get new cartridges for.

Edibles run the gamut, but figure out what your wife prefers (chocolate or gummies or something else) and then go from there. The budtender at the dispensary you choose should be really helpful with which way to go edible-wise. My personal preference with edibles is gummies since it's fairly easy to control dosing and they're MUCH more portable than chocolate or candies. Typically, each gummy is about 10mg THC which is plenty for me for a few hours but not so much I'm glued to the couch or a zombie.
Hmbldt disposable vape pens are fantastic. I'd go with something like that, or a battery/pen and cartridges. Edibles can take too long to feel the effects, which can lead to over medicating. When consuming an edible for the first few times, always consume less than you think is necessary.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

You can get a pen on Amazon for $20, comes w the charger.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I like those disposable pens. Usually my weapon of choice for concerts.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Amnesty boxes" installed at McCarran Airport for people to dump their pot.

Kind of curious how much these get used (and what gets done with whatever is deposited into them).

I should setup a competing box right next.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pmI should setup a competing box right next.
I was just going to say that some janitor probably put that up on his own and empties it into his personal stash every hour or so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A friend of mine in college worked campus security. He got called to verify that someone was smoking weed in a dorm. Had to bust his roommate who was dipping into the bag they had bought together earlier in the day. They disposed of it by dropping the bag in a garbage can in the security office. Ron discretely palmed and pocketed said bag from the garbage can.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back in the stone age when I was young, a couple friends and I were once invited by the local police to the Fort Collins constabulary to discuss a little misunderstanding. When they detained us, they also relieved my friend of an ounce of pot he had just purchased earlier that day. When we got to the station, no mention was made of the pot, but it certainly disappeared.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 pm Back in the stone age when I was young, a couple friends and I were once invited by the local police to the Fort Collins constabulary to discuss a little misunderstanding. When they detained us, they also relieved my friend of an ounce of pot he had just purchased earlier that day. When we got to the station, no mention was made of the pot, but it certainly disappeared.
While they may have pocketed your weed, there is a very good chance they just destroyed it without record so they wouldn't have to get you guys in trouble. Or they were lazy and didn't want to do the paperwork.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My high school buddy’s long lost, drug-addled brother stumbled into his parents house one day weeping and begging for another chance. To my buddy all this meant was his girlfriend dumped him and he chose sobriety and a roof over his head because he was broke and out of options. I popped into the homecoming, unbeknownst. As he gave his spiel to the room, the devil inside me said to “appear motivated to turn over your 1/8 of shake* that was in the glove box of the car. You’ll gain yourself and your buddy points from his parents (thus circumventing the hammer that’d likely fall upon his own lifestyle to that point in time). I did just that. A hero I was deemed.

*And later that night so got a better bag anyway.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 pm Back in the stone age when I was young, a couple friends and I were once invited by the local police to the Fort Collins constabulary to discuss a little misunderstanding. When they detained us, they also relieved my friend of an ounce of pot he had just purchased earlier that day. When we got to the station, no mention was made of the pot, but it certainly disappeared.
While they may have pocketed your weed, there is a very good chance they just destroyed it without record so they wouldn't have to get you guys in trouble. Or they were lazy and didn't want to do the paperwork.
There was no goodwill toward us. The latter is possible, but I'd say it's just as likelyI they pocketed the weed.