The Pot Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: The Pot Thread

Post by P.D.X. »

I really need to get mine. Been too lazy to look into it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:I really need to get mine. Been too lazy to look into it.
Taxes here are 10 percent on medical and expected to be 23 percent on recreational. At an average of about $200-250/oz (pre-tax), the math works even if you only buy about 4 ounces a year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm loving legal pot. I should have got my card months ago. Walk into a store and buy weed. That would break the head of the 18 year old me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Now I REALLY need another trip out there.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:I'm loving legal pot. I should have got my card months ago. Walk into a store and buy weed. That would break the head of the 18 year old me.
So what did you get? Edibles? Weed? Vape concentrate?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:I'm loving legal pot. I should have got my card months ago. Walk into a store and buy weed. That would break the head of the 18 year old me.
Flower and some edibles. Wanted to try a sativa and an indica hybrid. Loving the sativa so far. The indica mostly makes me want to veg (which is fine given I mostly just smoke it after work)

Ended up buying a relatively cheap vape device for burning the flower since the wind makes smoking outside near impossible. Does the job for what I need.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:
bfj wrote:
Flower and some edibles. Wanted to try a sativa and an indica hybrid. Loving the sativa so far. The indica mostly makes me want to veg (which is fine given I mostly just smoke it after work)

Ended up buying a relatively cheap vape device for burning the flower since the wind makes smoking outside near impossible. Does the job for what I need.
Nice choices. What kind of prices for flowers?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:
bfj wrote:

Nice choices. What kind of prices for flowers?
Top shelf is about $50 an eighth after tax though there's enough competition now you can get deals like 20 percent off from time to time.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

What's a flower?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Damn, I wish Ohio had legal weed. After the weekend I'm having, I'd probably smoke an entire eighth tonight.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:What's a flower?
Just another term for the buds that get you high. What most people would think of when they think of pot.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Sabo wrote:Damn, I wish Ohio had legal weed. After the weekend I'm having, I'd probably smoke an entire eighth tonight.
Amateur/s
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not sure I'd want to be anywhere near a dispensary that day but it would be an interesting story to say you were there Day 1.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wu-Tang lyrics start making a lot more sense after you start learning about different strains of pot..
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A girl that I date on and off just got a job at my regular shop. Hooked me up with some Dutch Treat Haze the other day. It's a top-shelf sativa that's great if you have to socialize or get shit done. Highly recommended.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Recreational sales likely to be delayed in Nevada from July 1 because of lawsuit from....liquor distributors.

In a related note, really glad I bit the bullet and got my medical card.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well shit.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If only you knew someone in Vegas with access...
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, unless you really had your heart set on being in a dispensary on Day 1, you'll be fine. Also, based on what I've seen from some NV legislators on Twitter I'd say there's about a 50-50 chance they make the July 1 deadline regardless. Apparently there are some legislative end-runs they might be able to use, but it would depend on if the governor signs it. It also might end up that the injunction is thrown out after the hearing in a couple of weeks.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm actually probably leaving the 30th anyway.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For my part I'm going nowhere near a dispensary for the first couple of weeks of recreational sales. I intend to stock up before that. (Also, one interesting quirk here is that the suburb of Henderson (where Rams Fanny lives and where mine and Giff's New Mexican burrito place is) has a moratorium on recreational sales the lasts until I believe August or September. So driving out there even though it's on the other side of town is a likely option for me until things settle into a "normal" pattern.

I doubt too many of you care about it, the politics and finances of it all our here are pretty fascinating. There's likely too many dispensaries now for only the medical market, even with Californian tourists able to shop here and the dispensaries are just scraping by financially, but the public vote to approve them was so likely that many have basically opened and intended on treading water for 12-18 months until recreational sales started up. So after recreational sales start up demand might outstrip supply until some more facilities can be opened throughout the rest of the year. Though I'm told folks here have learned a lot of lessons from Oregon's "switch" to recreational a year or two ago.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

California will be opening recreational pot dispensaries in 2018. That may hurt Nevada businesses. It will be interesting to see how it all works out regarding California retail sales. Looks like there still is lots of local legal wrangling still ahead of us.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Colorado had the same supply problems at first. Now, small towns are allowing grow operations in to get a piece of that sweet pot money. The small town where my MIL lives is even looking at allowing a dispensary (they have a grow operation) so that people headed to Steamboat can get some pot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

My girl that works at a shop hooked me up with some Chemmy Jones (a hybrid between Chemdawg and Casy Jones). At 39% THC it's some seriously potent shit. Seems to be mostly sativa though as it's pretty energy-inducing.

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/chemmy-jones
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:My girl that works at a shop hooked me up with some Chemmy Jones (a hybrid between Chemdawg and Casy Jones). At 39% THC it's some seriously potent shit. Seems to be mostly sativa though as it's pretty energy-inducing.

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/chemmy-jones
This is so bizarre to me, pot options were just whatever your dealer had, with the rare exception of someone saying they could get Northern Lights or something. It's great being able to choose strains based on what you are looking for. And I love this review:

“Farts are treacherous, especially the little ones you think won't stink, like the the tiny pooter you just one-cheek-sneaked in your cube. "Ah -- The perfect crime," you think, sticking to your theory that it was "all sound and no fury". So when you test that little theory by giving a little sniff, you promptly get frying-panned right in the face by The Stench That Came from C'Thulu's Ass. And as you're ducking stapl...”
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The office next to mine. I'm hoping they have some samples from their more successful clients.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I went to dinner tonight and a cocktail on the menu had hemp vodka. I didn't read the hemp part until after I had gotten it and took a couple sips. So of course paranoia sets in and I ask the waitress about it. She reassures me that with hemp seeds there is no THC and it couldn't even be served in a public setting like a restaurant otherwise. Regardless, I had to pass on the drink (which was really delicious) and get something else.

I'm forbidden to ingest anything with made hemp seeds not necessarily because I could pop positive on a test (even though that's what I'm told), but because it can be used as an excuse for those who do. Despite science being a thing, my employer still refuses to believe it. I can't wait to be retired.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote:Recreational sales likely to be delayed in Nevada from July 1 because of lawsuit from....liquor distributors.

So it's almost certain this is going to be delayed now since the liquor distributors won their injunction today. This state makes me laugh sometimes.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote:
brian wrote:Recreational sales likely to be delayed in Nevada from July 1 because of lawsuit from....liquor distributors.

So it's almost certain this is going to be delayed now since the liquor distributors won their injunction today. This state makes me laugh sometimes.
You could live in indiana! Liquor distributors won't allow has2 stations to sell cold beer.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was in indiana once for work looking for a twelve pack to watch the MLB playoffs and the guy at wal mart laughed at me when I asked where the cold beer was.

And all the liquor stores had cold were wine and ciders and bud light. Fuck that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:I was in indiana once for work looking for a twelve pack to watch the MLB playoffs and the guy at wal mart laughed at me when I asked where the cold beer was.

And all the liquor stores had cold were wine and ciders and bud light. Fuck that.
Yep, you're lucky it wasn't Sunday. Sometimes this state sucks.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Stopped by the dispensary to load up a little before recreational sales start Friday night and holy shit, do they have a lot of product in. At least five or six times what they normally do (some of this is also due to the state giving a "fuck you" to the liquor distributors related to the distribution lawsuit -- if they distribute several weeks worth of product now they have more time to work out a settlement down the road). There's at least a dozen employees being trained so there was about three or four employees per customer when I was there.

It's going to kind of suck though because the whole process of buying is going to be different. Less knowledgable employees (in general), dispensaries are going to be setup more like a 7-11 and less like....well, a dispensary. I guess it is what it is.

(Oh and taxes go up for EVERYONE on Saturday, but especially the recreational buyers -- I arguably should have gotten more than a half ounce).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:It's going to kind of suck though because the whole process of buying is going to be different. Less knowledgable employees (in general), dispensaries are going to be setup more like a 7-11 and less like....well, a dispensary. I guess it is what it is.
I know it's cliché, but in time the market will resolve itself and you'll get separation in the competition with nicer shops catering to "upscale" clientele and then the strip mall 7-11's that sell shake to the riffraff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:
brian wrote:It's going to kind of suck though because the whole process of buying is going to be different. Less knowledgable employees (in general), dispensaries are going to be setup more like a 7-11 and less like....well, a dispensary. I guess it is what it is.
I know it's cliché, but in time the market will resolve itself and you'll get separation in the competition with nicer shops catering to "upscale" clientele and then the strip mall 7-11's that sell shake to the riffraff.
Yeah, that's true. It'll take some time though. There's supposedly something like 50 licenses for dispensaries available either after July 1 or January 1 next year available in my county I think. Most of the early ones have been centered near the Strip since they've been trying to cater to California medical card holders here on vacation. I live in a well-populated area of Las Vegas and the nearest dispensary is like 8 to 10 miles away which is insane to me. Hoping in addition to the market sorting its way out as you describe (which I have no doubt it will) there will be some places near my zip code where I can buy here in the next year or so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And one business note. Nevada expected to be biggest market in the United States until California rec sales start next year.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:(Oh and taxes go up for EVERYONE on Saturday, but especially the recreational buyers -- I arguably should have gotten more than a half ounce).
If only because Giff is coming to visit! :^)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nevada officially becomes state #5 with legal recreational available for sale at midnight.

The state senator who has been working on getting it legalized here for a decade will be allowed to make the first purchase at 12:01.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had the first ever "elderly couple who literally runs away from you on a public street downtown because you're sneaking a hit off your vape". So many of the reasons I'm enjoying legalization have nothing to do with consuming the product. (Though that doesn't hurt.)