The Pot Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Pot Thread

Post by A_B »

There's a whole culture of Hollywood that embraces the fact that they smoke pot all the time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AB_skin_test wrote:There's a whole culture of Hollywood that embraces the fact that they smoke pot all the time.
I nominate Matthew McConaughey was the first spokesman for pot. I'd take him a lot more seriously than Stephen Dorff or Jenny McCarthy shilling e-cigarettes. I doubt being the commercial spokesperson for pot would not hurt most celebrities, especially considering the demographics of those who follow celebrities (younger, not overly religious, etc.).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:There's a whole culture of Hollywood that embraces the fact that they smoke pot all the time.
I nominate Matthew McConaughey was the first spokesman for pot. I'd take him a lot more seriously than Stephen Dorff or Jenny McCarthy shilling e-cigarettes. I doubt being the commercial spokesperson for pot would not hurt most celebrities, especially considering the demographics of those who follow celebrities (younger, not overly religious, etc.).
Yep. For younger actors or celebrities, it would probably enhance their career. Nelly could add chronic as a flavor to Vitamin Water. Any one of the dozens of celebrities pushing for legalized marijuana would probably jump at the chance. Seth Rogan and James Franco would be my bet, but Franco might be too big.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I nominate Matthew McConaughey was the first spokesman for pot.
It'd be a lot cooler if he did.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pfffft, no one is vaping or dabbing. Losers.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rush2112 wrote:Pfffft, no one is vaping or dabbing. Losers.
Not a pot guy but if it is legal and I'm partaking I ain't hitting no shit glass pipe. Shit burns.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Bongs man. Bongs. (or a bubbler)

I don't like vapes. Takes the fun out of it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A whole generation of kids will grow up without a story about that time they got water in their mouth and how gross it was.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Sybian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Yep. For younger actors or celebrities, it would probably enhance their career. Nelly could add chronic as a flavor to Vitamin Water. Any one of the dozens of celebrities pushing for legalized marijuana would probably jump at the chance. Seth Rogan and James Franco would be my bet, but Franco might be too big.
I'm taking the other side of this one. The young, hip, male celebrities will work with part of the target market. But that's a part of the market that doesn't need much, if any, convincing that legal marijuana is for them. The other part of the market is much bigger. They're not going to be swayed by young guys who play stoners in movies, or pot-smoking rappers. Or even young guys at all.

Finding celebrities who speak 'legitimacy' to them and who also will take the career risk of being associated with marijuana will be challenging. But they will be out there. Perhaps someone who is a strong personal advocate for marijuana, and who has such an established career that they don't perceive a risk. Assuming A-level people like Streep, Clooney, Fey, Kimmell and Springsteen won't do it, I'd start with people like Patrick Stewart, Sandra Bullock, Geena Davis, Ellen de Generes, Tom Hanks, John Malkovich, Alec Baldwin, Gary Oldham, Jane Lynch, Amy Poehler, Jon Hamm.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The mere thought of an adult who would be influenced to do or buy something they otherwise wouldn't because Gary Oldham and Sandra Bullock made it sound appealing is sending me into a spiral of depression.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:The mere thought of an adult who would be influenced to do or buy something they otherwise wouldn't because Gary Oldham and Sandra Bullock made it sound appealing is sending me into a spiral of depression.
I would allow him to influence me:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:The mere thought of an adult who would be influenced to do or buy something they otherwise wouldn't because Gary Oldham and Sandra Bullock made it sound appealing is sending me into a spiral of depression.
Ha! And yet Gary Oldham is shilling cell phones.

DC, when you say "marketing" for marijuana, do you mean as an activist pushing for legalization? Since the comment followed the ad for Zootbites, I took the term marketing as referring to ads for products. Patrick Stewart and Tina Fey aren't going to help sell Weedies brand pot brownies over Zootbites or Comfortably Nom-noms. Seth Rogan, on the other hand, I want the pot brownies of choice of the fun, fat stoner guy in the talkies!
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Do you guys consider doing a shotgun with a girl cheating if your lips touch?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Do you guys consider doing a shotgun with a girl cheating if your lips touch?
Doesn't matter what we think. Go ask your wife.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
Ha! And yet Gary Oldham is shilling cell phones.

DC, when you say "marketing" for marijuana, do you mean as an activist pushing for legalization? Since the comment followed the ad for Zootbites, I took the term marketing as referring to ads for products. Patrick Stewart and Tina Fey aren't going to help sell Weedies brand pot brownies over Zootbites or Comfortably Nom-noms. Seth Rogan, on the other hand, I want the pot brownies of choice of the fun, fat stoner guy in the talkies!
If it is simply for being a pitchman, I would imagine "Big Marijuana" would be interested in aiming at younger people, thereby getting new customers for life. I would expect a larger portion of people who are fans of Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, and so on are older and less likely to start smoking pot due to a more ingrained negative opinion on it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think there will be some interesting marketing being done eventually. Not to disagree with you because you're right, but I think there's a lot of people like me who will probably buy some every now and then once it's legal, but don't now because it's a pain in the ass (not because it's illegal or I'm worried about being "caught" or any crap like that.)

Marketing to what is probably a decent-sized group of Gen Xs and even younger baby boomers who smoked when they were younger and will dabble again once it's legal will be interesting.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:Do you guys consider doing a shotgun with a girl cheating if your lips touch?
Was Kenny ok with it?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

National Geographic magazine has a great cover article on pot this month.

Link
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:
Was Kenny ok with it?
Brilliant.

And WTF would a grown man even do that?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I only consider it cheating because it's a lame way to get high.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
mister d wrote:
Was Kenny ok with it?
Brilliant.

And WTF would a grown man even do that?
To justify locking lips with his 20-something next door neighbor.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's been well over 10 years since I touched the stuff, but my friend gave me a gummy bear. The thing is tiny, but he told me to just eat half of it. He said they are pretty inconsistent, but half with a couple of beers should put me in a good state. He has a guy who goes to Colorado and brings the stuff back. I feel a bit better that it's legal, but no idea how reliable that is. My friend did warn me that he gave some sort of laced chocolate to his neighbor, and the guy completely freaked out. He was begging his wife to call 911, fortunately she knew what was up and refused. The neighbor said he was still fucked up for most of the next day.

So, any advice for an edible first timer? The other thing nagging me is hearing Reggie Watts discussing buying edibles in Colorado. He said he smokes every day, and he bought some cookies that had him sitting in a corning freaking out with paranoia for hours. He later discovered that even though it was a tiny cookie, you are only supposed to eat part of it. He also mentioned a THC drink, similar to an energy drink. Same thing, it looks like one serving, but he said half the can was too much.

The Sybian wrote:Patrick Stewart and Tina Fey aren't going to help sell Weedies brand pot brownies over Zootbites or Comfortably Nom-noms. Seth Rogan, on the other hand, I want the pot brownies of choice of the fun, fat stoner guy in the talkies!
Went back through, thought this was an interesting discussion. Has there been a celebrity pitchman for a brand name pot product yet? I had to Google to see if Weedies or Comfortably non-noms were real names. I'm impressed I came up with the latter, I need to take that to market.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only thing I have to add is whatever ditch weed you and I got 20 years ago in our white collar schools can't compare with the legal shit these days.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think there's a combination of factors at play here. Partly in the rural Midwest (Detroit, Buffalo) you're just not going to get good weed in the mid-90s. You're not.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: So, any advice for an edible first timer?.
Stop being a pussy?

Seriously though, eat a quarter of it and chill for 45 minutes, it takes a bit longer to kick your ass when you eat it. If you feel a nice buzz and you're happy where you are, don't eat any more. If nothing is happening. Eat the other quarter and see how that goes for you.

Or send it to me for testing and I'll let you know how it goes.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:The only thing I have to add is whatever ditch weed you and I got 20 years ago in our white collar schools can't compare with the legal shit these days.
As I've said before, there was something to be said for the old days. Smoking a number was a social activity for a group of people. You'd feel stoned but still coherent. It loosened inhibitions enough for great conversation. Nowadays, I just immediately feel blotto.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:Went back through, thought this was an interesting discussion. Has there been a celebrity pitchman for a brand name pot product yet? I had to Google to see if Weedies or Comfortably non-noms were real names. I'm impressed I came up with the latter, I need to take that to market.
Read this article on a Canadian marijuana company yesterday, which includes the following paragraph:
It was Snoop’s people who reached out first, looking for a Canadian partner to license the rights to Leafs by Snoop, the rapper’s personal brand of thc-heavy weed. First, there were emails, then phone calls, and finally visits to both the factory and the Farm. And though he wasn’t the only celebrity trying to capitalize on his image as a cannabis connoisseur—Woody Harrelson, Willie Nelson, and the children of the late Bob Marley have all been involved in marijuana businesses—Snoop was the first. His product was available only in Colorado, but he wanted to expand. His team looked north and soon read about the guys in the chocolate factory.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:So, any advice for an edible first timer?
Go slow. It takes much longer to feel the effects.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:The only thing I have to add is whatever ditch weed you and I got 20 years ago in our white collar schools can't compare with the legal shit these days.
As I've said before, there was something to be said for the old days. Smoking a number was a social activity for a group of people. You'd feel stoned but still coherent. It loosened inhibitions enough for great conversation. Nowadays, I just immediately feel blotto.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The gummy bears are ~10 mg THC. It's one serving and should get you pleasantly stoned. The people who wig out on edibles usually get the chocolate bars or cookies that are more than one serving and eat the whole thing. In short, just eat the whole gummy at once.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote:The gummy bears are ~10 mg THC. It's one serving and should get you pleasantly stoned. The people who wig out on edibles usually get the chocolate bars or cookies that are more than one serving and eat the whole thing. In short, just eat the whole gummy at once.
In shorter, stop being a pussy.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:The gummy bears are ~10 mg THC. It's one serving and should get you pleasantly stoned. The people who wig out on edibles usually get the chocolate bars or cookies that are more than one serving and eat the whole thing. In short, just eat the whole gummy at once.
Do you just eat it like candy, or suck on it? (I feel like I should write a bunch more to set up Rass and D)
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah man, because there's definitely not enough there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Syb, you are making it too easy for them. Like when Jim Halpert basically forced Michael Scott to say, "That's what SHE said!"
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Used a vape pen last night for the first time. Odorless, very little "smoke" exhaled, no bag of weed/bowl/lighter to carry. I think I'm in love.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We get it, bro...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Need to plan a trip to the SIL's house.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

But they're converting the jazz room, wtf....