MMA

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: MMA

Post by Johnnie »

Tonya Evinger needs to go back to whatever trailer park she was recruited out of.

Cyborg makes her look horrible by conditioning and fighting prowess.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe Rogan just mentioned on his podcast the other day about interviewing guys after they've been knocked out and there he was interviewing Cormier after he'd been knocked out. Dude was clearly in a different head space and seemed unable to stop crying.

(I fully expect his crying face to replace Jordan's, btw.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

White has been pretty consistent on stuff like this. He kicked a pretty good fighter our of the UFC before his Ultimate Fighter finale because of a drunken act of vandalism after qualifying. He has also kicked folks out of that for fighting in the house. Because of the tension about UFC getting sanctioned he has really worked hard to show it is not a bunch of goons fighting but a true martial art.

And of course this really F's up his PPV.

McGregor is a great character and fighter, but has gotten too big for his britches/the promotion. Whenever this has happened, White has basically cut the relationship (Tito Ortiz). I was listening to the Startup podcast this morning. They were talking about how an investor (music producer) knew when to cut a big successful artist and had a great quote. "When that cat poop becomes bigger than the cat, it is time to kick the cat out of the house." McGregor is not worth the effort.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

White even put out that there may be some addiction issues.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

#blackdavidschwimmer
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I think I have seen this ......before...
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 am I think I have seen this ......before...
Less than zero interest in that fight. Even when both were in their primes and dominating the UFC, they were nowhere remotely near the level of their contemporaries Wanderlei and Saku in PRIDE. And now they're old.

The UFC was quite bush league back then. It still is, if you compare to what PRIDE *was*, or what RIZIN hopefully might become.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

As a general observation, has anyone else noticed that the UFC is barely recognizable as MMA anymore? I watched UFC 217, after having not watched a UFC card in some time, and was struck by the fact that most of the fights resembled boring kickboxing matches, with an occasional easily-defended (and relatively unskilled) takedown attempt.

Whether it is the skill sets of the competitors, or some change in rules or scoring, I'm not sure. Either way, as a fan of skillful grappling, I'll stick with RIZIN and my old PRIDE DVD collection.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When did Joe Rogan become a Nazi?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:28 pm When did Joe Rogan become a Nazi?
What? Which? How?

I listen to JRE fairly often, and find him entertaining and mostly not wrong, if a bit peculiar. What did he say/do?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm
What? Which? How?

I listen to JRE fairly often, and find him entertaining and mostly not wrong, if a bit peculiar. What did he say/do?
Picture on Twitter with him hanging out with a bunch of right-wing, neo-Nazi-lite guys like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, etc.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 pm
ImaginaryMan wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm
What? Which? How?

Picture on Twitter with him hanging out with a bunch of right-wing, neo-Nazi-lite guys like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, etc.
Huh, did not see that. I've never read/heard anything from Shapiro, though I've heard only unflattering things about him. Jordan Peterson as in the professor from U of T? I've read a little from him, and he's very definitely and obviously right wing; I might even call him hard right. But unless I've missed something major, I certainly wouldn't lump him in with the Nazis or any other kind of crazies. I certainly don't agree with him on many things, especially his opposition to Bill C-16 up here, but it's not like he's agitating for violence or inciting hatred. He at least tends to argue rationally for his positions, even when I think he's completely wrong, which is all I ask from those who wish to pontificate...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Big brawl after Conor and Khabib last night.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

bfj wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm Big brawl after Conor and Khabib last night.

Every single one of those stupid fucks need to be suspended for ever and charges brought against anyone that fought someone outside the octagon and anyone that threw a punch or came into the octagon and started throwing haymakers. And fuck those guys that climbed in and started fighting. Everyone involved in this is a piece of shit.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

duff wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:07 pm Everyone involved in this is a piece of shit.
Admittedly, I’m not an MMA fan but I think Dana White bears a lot of the blame here. He let McGregor go way too far with his pre-fight antics. Most notably, White used the incident where McGregor threw a handcart through a bus window, injuring multiple UFC fighters, to promote Saturday’s fight. McGregor also repeatedly used anti-Muslim bigotry to sell the fight in its run up. That created an unreasonably volatile situation, especially considering that Khabib runs with some legitimately scary dudes. None of that excuses anyone’s post-fight actions, but it was totally unprofessional — and an unnecessary — on the part of White and the UFC.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 am
duff wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:07 pm Everyone involved in this is a piece of shit.
Admittedly, I’m not an MMA fan but I think Dana White bears a lot of the blame here. He let McGregor go way too far with his pre-fight antics. Most notably, White used the incident where McGregor threw a handcart through a bus window, injuring multiple UFC fighters, to promote Saturday’s fight. McGregor also repeatedly used anti-Muslim bigotry to sell the fight in its run up. That created an unreasonably volatile situation, especially considering that Khabib runs with some legitimately scary dudes. None of that excuses anyone’s post-fight actions, but it was totally unprofessional — and an unnecessary — on the part of White and the UFC.
McGregor knows his audience.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Yes, White needs to bear part of the burden also. I had not read anything about the post fight or pre fight antics when I posted first.

The guys that hopped in the octagon and started fighting McGregor are not getting charged as he decided not to press charges against them.

Khabib needs to have some sort of punishment handed down for jumping outside and starting the "riot". I highly doubt it comes from White and the UFC. Most likely from the gaming commission.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I definitely agree that Khabib should be suspended. But this article has a good summary of the pre-fight stuff.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ssion=true
Over the past few years, the UFC has encouraged the Irishman’s questionable behaviour and used the McGregor brand to promote their events no matter what the consequences. In the case of UFC 229, it used footage of McGregor attacking a bus at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center filled with UFC fighters (including Nurmagomedov) to promote the fight and sell pay-per-view subscriptions. The UFC also failed to punish McGregor for the incident – a rampage that resulted in two UFC fighters being hospitalized, and left others traumatized.

There is also a case to be made that the UFC allowed McGregor to stoke religious, ethnic, and cultural tensions to promote the fight, something that helped escalate the situation. In the lead-up to the event, McGregor was at the forefront of the attack on the bus, played up the political tension between Chechnya and Dagestan, called Nurmagomedov’s father a “quivering coward” for associating with Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov, and referred to Nurmagomedov’s manager as a “terrorist snitch”. He also called his opponent a “backwards cunt” when Nurmagomedov – a devout Muslim– refused to accept a glass of whiskey during a press conference. While none of this is an excuse for Nurmagomedov to attack McGregor and his team after the fight, it may explain why there was such venomous animosity between the two camps.

However, while White was quick to admit that the post-fight brawl was horrific and set mixed martial arts back several years, he rejected the suggestion that the incident could have been avoided.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reading that, I think the real mistake was intervening when that guy went to kick the rest of Team McGregor's asses.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 am I definitely agree that Khabib should be suspended. But this article has a good summary of the pre-fight stuff.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ssion=true
Over the past few years, the UFC has encouraged the Irishman’s questionable behaviour and used the McGregor brand to promote their events no matter what the consequences. In the case of UFC 229, it used footage of McGregor attacking a bus at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center filled with UFC fighters (including Nurmagomedov) to promote the fight and sell pay-per-view subscriptions. The UFC also failed to punish McGregor for the incident – a rampage that resulted in two UFC fighters being hospitalized, and left others traumatized.

There is also a case to be made that the UFC allowed McGregor to stoke religious, ethnic, and cultural tensions to promote the fight, something that helped escalate the situation. In the lead-up to the event, McGregor was at the forefront of the attack on the bus, played up the political tension between Chechnya and Dagestan, called Nurmagomedov’s father a “quivering coward” for associating with Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov, and referred to Nurmagomedov’s manager as a “terrorist snitch”. He also called his opponent a “backwards cunt” when Nurmagomedov – a devout Muslim– refused to accept a glass of whiskey during a press conference. While none of this is an excuse for Nurmagomedov to attack McGregor and his team after the fight, it may explain why there was such venomous animosity between the two camps.

However, while White was quick to admit that the post-fight brawl was horrific and set mixed martial arts back several years, he rejected the suggestion that the incident could have been avoided.
Fuck that nonsense. Give Ireland a fucking potato famine and have Nurmagomedov mock McGregor for his beliefs, his religion and the unfortunate reality of his homeland and then we’ll talk about who displayed the better sense of decorum.

They’re paid to beat the shit out of each other. And one guy actually lives the hell he’s willing to pound into people. The other just has a bunch of people (including white nationalists) cheering him on.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jesus Christ, that was fucking gruesome.

Dude's leg just snapped in half on a basic leg kick.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:50 pm Jesus Christ, that was fucking gruesome.

Dude's leg just snapped in half on a basic leg kick.
Chris Weidman (guy who snapped his leg) was the guy Anderson Silva was kicking when he broke his leg the same way.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Here's the fight from tonight:

Jon Jones could've been even better if his ass stayed out of trouble these last several years.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nevada sells speciality licenses plates for UFC now and the dudes (it’s always dudes) who have them are just as hilariously horrible as you’d expect. It pegs the unintentional comedy meter completely off the scale. The models of these cars these guys drive too. <chef’s kiss>
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This dude was at the bar tonight.

He and his crew did not play trivia. Bet I intimidated them.

Fighting at MSG next weekend.
[+] spoiler
They tipped 5%. Europeans, man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[looking down at table and covering mouth] “Fuck FC Zbrojovka Brno!”
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

How did you know it was him? Honest question.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One of the waitresses recognized him somehow. He has a pretty epic topknot going on right now, so he stood out. And they were all wearing gear with matching logos. I didn't ask her if that was enough to set her to googling, or if she actually knew who he was.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ah, the matching attire would've had me curious for sure.

I used to watch a fair bit of MMA and would've been able to recognize a couple dozen guys. These days? Not a chance.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.