Return of Confessions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:Jeezus, you guys could fuck up a wet dream. People donate a little money, have little fun, cause more donations to trickle in, and you guys piss all over it. Sheesh.
I think a lot of it is done just for attention. Holy shit, I just covered it in hot piss!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the CrossFit thing on my end
I think Mr. D's point is numerous CrossFitters who feel the need to comment daily on the WOD. "Oh man, 15 Burpees this morning. Today sucked. My box killed the Murph today!" There is no reason for me to know all of these terms. You aren't one of the offenders that stand out. I have 3 friends who are fairly constant. One had to be blocked because there was an update every single day.

I am totally down with the windfall for an important charity. I don't know if they are quality, but I assume they are. Some really big name charities use a very large percentage of donations for bullshit, rather than actually doing good. UNICEF is supposed to be the worst. The CEO gets well over a million dollars, a Rolls Royce and a huge expense account. Meanwhile the CEO of the Salvation Army gets $13,000 a year. According to several sites, the CEO of UNICEF makes the Salvation Army CEO's annual salary in 10 hours. The United Way used to be horrible, too.

I just think most of the people pouring ice on their heads are trying to be cool. Just write a check and move on. I wonder how many of the ice dumpers actually write a check, or just dump and feel like they benefiting society in some way. Last night my sister posted a video of her kids dumping ice buckets on each other and called out my kids. She tagged me and my wife. I haven't spoken to my wife, but I hope she doesn't feel the need to post a video of the kids doing this. I am confident she won't.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:he people pouring ice on their heads are trying to be cool. Just write a check and move on.
... which would effectively kill the campaign before it started.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So to make sure I get this right. Doing the challenge to help raise awareness and money makes me an attention grabbing whore. Posting on social media about how stupid it is doesn't make you an attention grabbing whore. Gotcha.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Image Mister Trollaware likes this
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Here's a quality small ALS foundation if you want to donate. I know the Brigances and nobody is getting Rich off of their efforts.

http://www.brigancebrigade.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:So to make sure I get this right. Doing the challenge to help raise awareness and money makes me an attention grabbing whore. Posting on social media about how stupid it is doesn't make you an attention grabbing whore. Gotcha.
I'm not saying anything other than agreeing with Johnnie on this board. I also said I don't thing everyone is doing it to join in the latest fad. I just think some people are doing it to show they are part of the club, and don't give a fuck about the charity and aren't going to donate anyways. Like Mr. D and Steve Yzerman said, donations should be anonymous. I do get that anonymous donations don't get others to donate, and it is great that the ALS charity is raking in donations. I'm just sick of my FB feed filling up with everyone's bucket dump videos.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I remember when that jackass Lou Gehrig got all attention-whory in front of a whole damn stadium increasing awareness for ALS. That asshole even let them name the fucking disease after him. What a douche.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Today I consider myself the ..."

"Uggghhh!!!"
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

What's the deal with the bucket thing? You dump it on yourself and then give money to ALS? Not sure I'm grasping this.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I haven't posted anywhere about it until here, for reference. I use Facebook simply for posting play on word statuses.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
bfj wrote:So to make sure I get this right. Doing the challenge to help raise awareness and money makes me an attention grabbing whore. Posting on social media about how stupid it is doesn't make you an attention grabbing whore. Gotcha.
I'm not saying anything other than agreeing with Johnnie on this board. I also said I don't thing everyone is doing it to join in the latest fad. I just think some people are doing it to show they are part of the club, and don't give a fuck about the charity and aren't going to donate anyways. Like Mr. D and Steve Yzerman said, donations should be anonymous. I do get that anonymous donations don't get others to donate, and it is great that the ALS charity is raking in donations. I'm just sick of my FB feed filling up with everyone's bucket dump videos.
You must have a ton of narcissistic douchebags for FB friends.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the CrossFit thing on my end
I think Mr. D's point is numerous CrossFitters who feel the need to comment daily on the WOD. "Oh man, 15 Burpees this morning. Today sucked. My box killed the Murph today!" There is no reason for me to know all of these terms. You aren't one of the offenders that stand out. I have 3 friends who are fairly constant. One had to be blocked because there was an update every single day.

I am totally down with the windfall for an important charity. I don't know if they are quality, but I assume they are. Some really big name charities use a very large percentage of donations for bullshit, rather than actually doing good. UNICEF is supposed to be the worst. The CEO gets well over a million dollars, a Rolls Royce and a huge expense account. Meanwhile the CEO of the Salvation Army gets $13,000 a year. According to several sites, the CEO of UNICEF makes the Salvation Army CEO's annual salary in 10 hours. The United Way used to be horrible, too.

I just think most of the people pouring ice on their heads are trying to be cool. Just write a check and move on. I wonder how many of the ice dumpers actually write a check, or just dump and feel like they benefiting society in some way. Last night my sister posted a video of her kids dumping ice buckets on each other and called out my kids. She tagged me and my wife. I haven't spoken to my wife, but I hope she doesn't feel the need to post a video of the kids doing this. I am confident she won't.
I just got nominated and I can't think of a reason not to nominate you when I do it now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

-_-

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
I just got nominated and I can't think of a reason not to nominate you when I do it now.
Funny. I'm not dumping a anything on my head or posting to Facebook, but I will donate to a charity of my choice. I would donate to ALS, but I'll choose one that hasn't received an enormous influx of cash this month.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Social Media ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Raises Millions For Lou Gehrig’s Disease
American Voices • Opinion • ISSUE 50•32 • Aug 15, 2014

“I wish every time someone asked me to donate money I could just dump water on my head to get out of it.”
Scott Bregman –
Aisle Checker

“So everyone’s having fun, but what about those suffering from the disease? Why isn’t anyone dumping water on their heads?”
Malorie Egan –
Silverware Appraiser

“I just wish Lou Gehrig was alive to see and be utterly confused by this.”
Henry Wortel –
Clay Sculptor
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Funny. I'm not dumping a anything on my head or posting to Facebook, but I will donate to a charity of my choice. I would donate to ALS, but I'll choose one that hasn't received an enormous influx of cash this month.
http://www.pathfindersforautism.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- just saying.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Honestly? I'm on the fence about doing it. I'll decide if I'm going to do it or not tonight. Either way I'll donate.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
http://www.pathfindersforautism.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- just saying.
Smooth....

How's the new gig going?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just got nominated and I'm going to make it ALL about ME.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I just got nominated and I'm going to make it ALL about ME.
Sometimes your sarcasm has so many layers, I'm not sure who you are mocking.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lou Gehrig.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

mister d wrote:Lou Gehrig.
Not that he is moved...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I got called out twice and didn't do it but not because I don't want to get wet but it's just way too conformist at this point. I'd have to come up with something so incredibly original even to begin to justify it but I doubt there's anything I could think of that hasn't been done. I wish I came up with that Flashdance thing.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Yeah, I got called out twice and didn't do it but not because I don't want to get wet but it's just way too conformist at this point. I'd have to come up with something so incredibly original even to begin to justify it but I doubt there's anything I could think of that hasn't been done. I wish I came up with that Flashdance thing.
My wife passed on the kids doing it. My son was down for it though. I still don't get it, as people are saying "you have 24 hours to do it, or else you have to make a donation." It still seems like people are doing it to get out of donating. I know a lot are donating anyways, but that isn't the impression most people are giving.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Yeah, I got called out twice and didn't do it but not because I don't want to get wet but it's just way too conformist at this point. I'd have to come up with something so incredibly original even to begin to justify it but I doubt there's anything I could think of that hasn't been done. I wish I came up with that Flashdance thing.
My wife passed on the kids doing it. My son was down for it though. I still don't get it, as people are saying "you have 24 hours to do it, or else you have to make a donation." It still seems like people are doing it to get out of donating. I know a lot are donating anyways, but that isn't the impression most people are giving.
Vines of people hitting submit on Paypal would raise billions.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah I didn't donate $100 to ALS in lieu of not doing it and my moral conscience is like completely intact.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:
Vines of people hitting submit on Paypal would raise billions.
I get that, so remove the "dump ice to avoid paying" tagline. That's all I'm saying.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Interesting (if kind of overly bitchy) conversation in here. At least you guys objecting or questioning the Challenge are being honest.

Initially, I was pretty skeptical. If something goes viral and the main benefit is "raising awareness," I'm calling bullshit. Livestrong is a great example brought up earlier, but one near and dear to my heart was the Kony2012 debacle. Slacktivism at it's very worst. Not only was it flash in the pan nonsense, it actually was counterproductive on a lot of levels.

But with the dollar figures being thrown around... Just from a straight financial benefit, it's very hard to take shots at this. That kind of money, if it is primarily going to ALSA, is enough to start an endowment. (If they don't already have one.)

And hopefully this is "new money" and it is not cannibalizing donations to other charities. There's a lot of fairly complicated economics around this and I've seen lots of articles on it the last few days. But I don't think some of those are fully taking into account the number of "look at me" narcissists that likely would NEVER donate for altruistic reasons, but were roped into this to feed their egos. (Not saying everyone doing it are narcissists, a lot of folks on my feed doing the challenge certainly aren't... But there are ppl on there that I'm almost positive don't give a shit about charitable giving that are jumping on this.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm okay with awareness as long as the actual $ is going into research and not back into awareness campaigns. If the water thing is strictly the awareness part and all of the funds are going to research then that's great. I look at all the money that Kommen et al spends on more pink shit and it makes me crazy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote:And hopefully this is "new money" and it is not cannibalizing donations to other charities.
I've seen this a few places and I can't even fathom the over/under percentage on otherwise-non-charity money. Can't be less than 85%. This is mostly shitheads like me who won't donate to a cause unless a friend is running or shaving their heads or whatever.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Dammit!

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

The Yanks give far more money to charity than any other nation (they have more I think?), so I don't have a real issue with it.

I sometimes wonder if all these things go viral on a global scale or not... Did North America have the 'neck nominate' thingy and the no makeup charity thingy?

It took internet eyes away from Adam Jones joining Cardiff from Swansea yesterday. That is a huge story in Wales...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tom 1860 wrote:The Yanks give far more money to charity than any other nation (they have more I think?), so I don't have a real issue with it.

I sometimes wonder if all these things go viral on a global scale or not... Did North America have the 'neck nominate' thingy and the no makeup charity thingy?

It took internet eyes away from Adam Jones joining Cardiff from Swansea yesterday. That is a huge story in Wales...
I never heard of either. If the ice bucket dump goes viral globally, everyone should give their money to American charities.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They do it in Germany, except it's the Scheisse Bucket Challenge
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:They do it in Germany, except it's the Scheisse Bucket Challenge
I'm in!
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

German friends of mine actually are doing the ice bucket challenge.

Not sure about the other thing though.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Sit in a chair" challenge to support Corey Griffin?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »