Return of Confessions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am

rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 am

Try some Oofos.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by The Sybian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am

rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I own a pair of these. Incredibly comfortable. My wife hates them and my son makes fun because they were made by Crocs. IDGAF, they are the most comfortable shoes ever. The traditional Crocs, however, you can't pull them off unless you are a nurse or Mario Batali.


Image
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:48 am

But the OOcloog doesn't have any place for my jibbitz!

(thanks, I'll check them out)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 am

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am
rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I own a pair of these. Incredibly comfortable. My wife hates them and my son makes fun because they were made by Crocs. IDGAF, they are the most comfortable shoes ever. The traditional Crocs, however, you can't pull them off unless you are a nurse or Mario Batali.


Image
I have sanuks brands that are basically the same think without as much shame.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:51 am

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am
rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I own a pair of these. Incredibly comfortable. My wife hates them and my son makes fun because they were made by Crocs. IDGAF, they are the most comfortable shoes ever. The traditional Crocs, however, you can't pull them off unless you are a nurse or Mario Batali.


Image
Is that a picture of your own shoe, or do they come pre-distressed with scuffs on the sole?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am

If we're doing shoe recs:

I'm all in on On Running shoes. Don't let the name fool you, I've got a pair of runners but the ones I love are my Clouds. They're slip on but they've got an elastic band that keeps your foot in even if you want to go for a jog in them. Insanely comfortable.

The other "dad shoe" (you old fucks) are my pair of Ooklas. https://olukai.com/collections/mens-sho ... 6098630755

Those are like a hybrid slip on/sandal that you don't need to wear with socks. Got a pair for my last trip to Hawaii and loved them
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:56 am

rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:48 am
But the OOcloog doesn't have any place for my jibbitz!

(thanks, I'll check them out)
They're really comfortable. I probably need a new pair after the 2 years I've put on my current ones.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:57 am

BSF21 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am
If we're doing shoe recs:

I'm all in on On Running shoes. Don't let the name fool you, I've got a pair of runners but the ones I love are my Clouds. They're slip on but they've got an elastic band that keeps your foot in even if you want to go for a jog in them. Insanely comfortable.

The other "dad shoe" (you old fucks) are my pair of Ooklas. https://olukai.com/collections/mens-sho ... 6098630755

Those are like a hybrid slip on/sandal that you don't need to wear with socks. Got a pair for my last trip to Hawaii and loved them
On will let you return a pair for free within 30 days. I really liked the look of them and bought a pair to wear around Scotland a few years back. I ended up not keeping them because the fit wasn't perfect, but it was definitely nice to not have to worry about fucking up my own shoes for a week.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by mister d » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

Any shoe that doesn't come in wide sizes should go to hell.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16781
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by Pruitt » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:00 am

mister d wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am
Any shoe that doesn't come in wide sizes should go to hell.
I agree - but then again I have bunions, one of which will probably be in the Mutter museum after I die.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by sancarlos » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm

A_B wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am
rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
Flip flops forever.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm

My feet are much pickier about the feel and fit of flip-flops (assuming toe-thong style here) than they are slides. Plus socks work with slides, if I'm feeling really lazy on a cool fall day when the dog needs walked.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:34 pm

rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Plus socks work with slides
No they don't. Be the change you wish to see. It starts with one.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:36 pm

"Function" better? And remember what thread we're in and how I kicked this off this morning. No shame here as far as this goes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Fair on the thread.

Tell you what, re-reading where you're thinking about heading, just rock those slides with socks to your heart's content.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by sancarlos » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:42 pm

If we ever do a Swamp meet-up in New Jersey, I'll just look for the guy in socks and Crocs!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Image
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:52 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am
rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
Flip flops forever.
My big toes take a hard turn inside so I have never been able to wear flip flops. Just too uncomfortable to build up tolerance.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:17 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am
rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am
My Nike slides are wearing down and I'm considering buying some Crocs to replace them...
I only wear adidas slides anymore. ANd not the ones with those weird bubble soles.
Flip flops forever.
These specifically:

Image

That opener in the sole has saved me on many occasions...

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by rass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:20 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 am
Try some Oofos.
Silly name notwithstanding (got the Ooahh slide sandals) these are pretty fucking great.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Yep. Super comfy.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22285
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by brian » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am

I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6659
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by Giff » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:54 am

I did the same thing except closer to 20 years. I'd ask for laughing gas at the top.
Muh.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am

brian wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am
I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.
12 for me and I just finished the last fillings in 2 years of restoration. Find yourself a good dentist, use nitrous if available, and start going regularly. Teeth are dumb.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm

BSF21 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
brian wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am
I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.
12 for me and I just finished the last fillings in 2 years of restoration. Find yourself a good dentist, use nitrous if available, and start going regularly. Teeth are dumb.
I stopped going because they fucked up my fillings and I had sensitivity in them for no joke 4-5 years. They used the white polymer filling stuff instead of metal and I hate it. I still use sensodyne just in case.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm
BSF21 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am
brian wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am
I haven't been to the dentist in like 10 years, but have to go this afternoon since I chipped a tooth over the weekend.

Shouldn't have let things get this far, but not a fan of the dentist and not looking forward to this afternoon.
12 for me and I just finished the last fillings in 2 years of restoration. Find yourself a good dentist, use nitrous if available, and start going regularly. Teeth are dumb.
I stopped going because they fucked up my fillings and I had sensitivity in them for no joke 4-5 years. They used the white polymer filling stuff instead of metal and I hate it. I still use sensodyne just in case.
I was so tired of being in daily pain that it finally pushed me over the anxiety edge.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
MaxWebster
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by MaxWebster » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 pm

my parents were/are awesome but as a kid for some reason they brought me to the worst dentist ever, so i had that hesitation for years too. My last two dentists though (Vancouver and Buffalo) have been so awesome that i'm not kidding, i legit *like* going to the dentist.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3884
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by P.D.X. » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Deep teeth cleaning + exam twice a year for free*? Easy decision.

(*or $12/month when I was self-employed. Still an easy decision.)

(totally dragging my feet on a night guard though, but that's like $350)

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:03 pm

MaxWebster wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 pm
my parents were/are awesome but as a kid for some reason they brought me to the worst dentist ever, so i had that hesitation for years too. My last two dentists though (Vancouver and Buffalo) have been so awesome that i'm not kidding, i legit *like* going to the dentist.
I had my teeth knocked out in a wrestling practice 2 days after I had my braces off in HS. Kid hit me so hard with an elbow it knocked my permanent retainer out of my mouth.

Cut to blood pouring out of my mouth and an emergency rush to the orthodontist that says to save my teeth he needs to reset them as they're all still in there, but pointing at the back of my throat instead of up and down. He reaches in and pops them back into place for lack of better words and they reinstall my cement retainer. I never went back to the dentist.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by mister d » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm

I had something similar but not as horrifying because mine jammed up instead of back, but I had to have the front four cemented together and to the good teeth next to them. If there's one pain experience of my life I wouldn't want to go back and relive, it might be having that cement razor-flossed off once the teeth were stable again.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5813
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by Shirley » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm

I once got a filling without any anesthetic. I had had a lot of fillings and teeth pulled as a kid, and for some reason, I convinced myself that the anesthesia really didn't help that much, because I could always feel it. Well... let me tell you, the anesthesia DOES make a difference. A huge difference. I basically chose to recreate The Marathon Man for myself. I squeezed the SHIT out of those dentist chair arms. I always take the novocaine now.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by sancarlos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm

One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm
One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
That's fraud in Kentucky at least, but good for you!
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by sancarlos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm
One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
That's fraud in Kentucky at least, but good for you!
Explain to me who he defrauded, and how.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4821
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by BSF21 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Shirley wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm
I once got a filling without any anesthetic. I had had a lot of fillings and teeth pulled as a kid, and for some reason, I convinced myself that the anesthesia really didn't help that much, because I could always feel it. Well... let me tell you, the anesthesia DOES make a difference. A huge difference. I basically chose to recreate The Marathon Man for myself. I squeezed the SHIT out of those dentist chair arms. I always take the novocaine now.
Oh I played that game on my last crown because they didn't really explain it to me. I had a temp on and they said "once your permanent comes in, we just pop the temp off and put your real crown on". So I'm thinking nbd, little cement, no problem. They didn't tell me that once they pop the temp off, they vigorously clean the entire tooth again. Holy shit was I screaming.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:13 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm
A_B wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm
One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
That's fraud in Kentucky at least, but good for you!
Explain to me who he defrauded, and how.
Again, I can only say it for Kentucky, but it came about because of a bunch of doctors doing work for other doctors and families, which I guess defrauds either the employee or the insurance company because of deductibles and co-insurance (Which of course is paid for in part by the employee in a lot of cases, so I can see gray area). Basically that you can't just do insurance-only billing unless you do it for EVERY client. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but my wife works as a Billing manager and they have had several clients get in trouble trying to do that. Basically you do your buddies favors, but joe schmoe off the street has to pay, so it kind of defrauds other customers in a sense, too.

(ETA: If you waive the patient portion, it actually means that the service offered was in fact cheaper than you said, so the insurance would be in their rights to come back and ask for money back. Simple math, but say your insurance pays 80% of all services (and that you have no deductible or met it at other doctors). So a $100 crown they would pay 80, assuming you paid the remaining $20. But if you waive that, then the service actually only cost $80, so the insurance could come back and say, well, we're only paying $64.)


If he does something completely off the books for you, that's different since it only costs his time and materials.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by The Sybian » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 pm

MaxWebster wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 pm
i legit *like* going to the dentist.
I felt that way when I was living in NYC, but that was mostly because the Dentist's wife/hygienist was one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in my life. I think they were Croatian.

I once had a filling done and the Dentist told me I didn't need Novocaine or anything since it was a very small cavity. It felt weird, but way better than the Novocaine injection and subsequent hours of numbness. Next time I needed a filling, Dentist said the same thing. Then he kept drilling, and saying it looked small, but went deep. It started to really hurt, but he said he's at the bottom, so just tough it out. Then it kept going deeper. In the end, I probably put permanent finger indentations in the arm of the chair and sweat so bad I looked like I jumped in a pool. The dentist look horrified and kept apologizing. I went back to using Novocaine for fillings.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by sancarlos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:13 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm
A_B wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm
One of the first guys I met out here after I moved to California was a dentist who had just finished dental school. We became good friends and he has done a ton of work for me at no cost or minimal cost. He did a bunch of crowns and only charged me the amount the insurance would cover.
That's fraud in Kentucky at least, but good for you!
Explain to me who he defrauded, and how.
Again, I can only say it for Kentucky, but it came about because of a bunch of doctors doing work for other doctors and families, which I guess defrauds either the employee or the insurance company because of deductibles and co-insurance (Which of course is paid for in part by the employee in a lot of cases, so I can see gray area). Basically that you can't just do insurance-only billing unless you do it for EVERY client. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but my wife works as a Billing manager and they have had several clients get in trouble trying to do that. Basically you do your buddies favors, but joe schmoe off the street has to pay, so it kind of defrauds other customers in a sense, too.

If he does something completely off the books for you, that's different since it only costs his time and materials.
He billed the full amount, then waived collection from me. Insurance was billed and paid the correct amount. I don't see how one can call it fraud.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by A_B » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Well, I just added some information that spells it out a little bit and I think is the crux of the argument. And again, I only know about Kentucky because of my wife's work. It may indeed be a non issue for you.

here's the part I added.

(ETA: If you waive the patient portion, it actually means that the service offered was in fact cheaper than the doctor said, so the insurance would be in their rights to come back and ask for money back. Simple math, but say your insurance pays 80% of all services (and that you have no deductible or met it at other doctors). So a $100 crown they would pay 80, assuming you paid the remaining $20. But if you waive that, then the service actually only cost $80, so the insurance could come back and say, well, we're only paying $64.)
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Post Reply