Television Buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Television Buying

Post by A_B »

Looking to get a 60" (minimum) for the new house.

Walmart/Sams has some good deals on Vizio 60" smarts (I want the smart to have it native and not have to have the PS3 in that room)

I've always been partial to samsungs, but what have you guys heard/read about Vizio? Seem to be a name brand anymore and not an upstart.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Television Buying

Post by Shirley »

Funny, I was planning on starting a very similar thread. I'm planning on getting a 60+" TV soon, probably around Black Friday. Like AB, I want the ability to use streaming services, but I'll also want a Blu-Ray player, so I guess the apps don't need to be in the TV.

Any suggestions on brand? Purchase timing? Is it really worthwhile to wait until Thanksgiving sales?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

blackfriday.com has a lot of the ads posted.

walmart's prices make Best Buy look stoopid.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I like my Vizio. It has a sharp picture and hasn't exploded. I'm not a gamer or a tech junkie, so I have nothing from that angle.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Funny, I was planning on starting a very similar thread. I'm planning on getting a 60+" TV soon, probably around Black Friday. Like AB, I want the ability to use streaming services, but I'll also want a Blu-Ray player, so I guess the apps don't need to be in the TV.

Any suggestions on brand? Purchase timing? Is it really worthwhile to wait until Thanksgiving sales?

I was told by a Best Buy associate not to get a smart TV as I have a Blu-ray with WiFi. He said the blu-rays typically have a faster connection, do the same thing a smart TV does and are much cheaper. I bought a low end SONY (I think) blu-ray for around $100, and it has NetFlix, Hulu and a ton of apps built in automatically. The remote even has a NetFlix button. I recently bought a 46" LED Insignia, which is Best Buy's store brand. It is identical to the LG model, but several hundred dollars less. I thought I would never buy from BB, but they had an incredible sale, and were actually cheaper than anything I could find online. The TV has worked great and has a great picture. The speakers have decent quality, but don't get very loud. I'd recommend a sound bar, which are probably recommended for most TVs. Most TVs have crappy speakers to keep the costs down and keep the TVs as slim as possible. From what I read, brand doesn't matter much, just get the specs you want and a picture you like. Most brands and models are reliable now. I consider Vizio a name brand.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have a Vizio - 1080p with 240 Hz. It's amazing for sports. People with other brands always say my TV is the best for sports.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FWIW, I love my old Vizio, and hate my new one. Had a discussion with a new neighbor and he was advised that Panasonic plasmas are the way to go right now. His new TV looks great. I'd say go see it in the store, as there's a big difference in picture quality in my 4 year old Vizio and my 1 year old Vizio.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I noticed on Amazon that the 60" plasmas are a lot cheaper than the LCD/LEDs. I worry about at plasma at that size being really heavy. My current TV is a Panasonic 42" plasma and it's great, but it's fairly heavy even at that size.

Anyone have a huge plasma?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:I noticed on Amazon that the 60" plasmas are a lot cheaper than the LCD/LEDs. I worry about at plasma at that size being really heavy. My current TV is a Panasonic 42" plasma and it's great, but it's fairly heavy even at that size.

Gasses be heavy, yo!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:I noticed on Amazon that the 60" plasmas are a lot cheaper than the LCD/LEDs. I worry about at plasma at that size being really heavy. My current TV is a Panasonic 42" plasma and it's great, but it's fairly heavy even at that size.

Unless you plan on moving it around, I wouldn't worry about weight. You only need to set it up once, right? The weight may be because plasma has a glass screen, rather than flimsy plastic. Not sure how much weight that would add though. From what I'm told, plasma is bad in a room with natural light, as the glare is really bad, so plasma was never an option for me. Supposed to be a better picture, "deeper blacks", but not as good for sports and action movies IIRC.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Just bought a 55" LG LED for the new house. Smart, 120hz. Everything looks amazing. The built-in Netflix and browser are nice touches. It was 999. Not terrible.

Also, if you want to mount it, I cant recommend this http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APDAM3B-A ... wall+mount enough.

I love it and it was 1/4 the price of something you'd buy at BB.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Vizios seem to have a "worse" picture (IMO) than LG and especially Samsung, but not to the point where you'd likely care all that much.

The Smart TVs are awesome. Netflix, At Bat, etc work just fine.

Also, buy online, don't pay tax, and have someone deliver it to your door.

EDIT: OR go to HH Gregg and haggle with them. Worst case they'll price match it to an online TV and you won't have to pay tax.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Oh, and don't do any Groupon TV deals.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Amazon has a samsung 60" for 1050, but its a 120 hz...what difference does that make? I know the higher refresh is better for live, high speed action but I've never had a problem with lag on my tv that I have now, so not sure I need the 240hz.

Plus i can get it now, no lines and possibilites of being out of stock with the black friday deals.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:Amazon has a samsung 60" for 1050, but its a 120 hz...what difference does that make? I know the higher refresh is better for live, high speed action but I've never had a problem with lag on my tv that I have now, so not sure I need the 240hz.

Plus i can get it now, no lines and possibilites of being out of stock with the black friday deals.

120 Hz is fine for an LED. I think only plasmas and MAYBE some LCDs go over 120 Hz. A Samsung LED at 120 Hz is a great TV.

Link it!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the best buy link with more details

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60- ... 26&cmp=RMX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

From the weight and pictures I'm assuming it's LED-backlit LCD, which is why it's not $1500+. We recently got one off a Groupon deal (even though I strictly implored Bibs NO GROUPON ELECTRONIC DEALS - I eventually signed off on this one because they shadily called it LED), and while it wasn't the slim, 20 lb model I expected, it's still a really good looking TV and we decided to keep it. At the price, it's a pretty good deal.

Looked it up, and it's LED backlit LCD. Why this advertising is legal I have no idea. Just keep in mind that it's basically a LCD TV without picture issues around the frame.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Oh, look, a company that isn't trying to trick you with their advertising.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Samsung-Electr ... dp.idjiajh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But pssssh $1500 for LCD? Get outta here.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote:Looked it up, and it's LED backlit LCD. Why this advertising is legal I have no idea. Just keep in mind that it's basically a LCD TV without picture issues around the frame.
As opposed to what? All "LED" TVs are LCD with LED backlighting. It's a weird naming convention, but as far as I know, it's consistent.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60- ... 26&cmp=RMX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only 2 HDMI inputs. Make sure that's enough for you.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. Make sure that's enough for you.

Yeah, if I get a smart it should be fine. not positive I will have more than the cable/sattelite in and a blu ray player/ps3 (either of which negates the need for a smart tv, I know) but would have flexibilitity.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Amazon has a samsung 60" for 1050, but its a 120 hz...what difference does that make? I know the higher refresh is better for live, high speed action but I've never had a problem with lag on my tv that I have now, so not sure I need the 240hz.

You would only need 240 if you are playing high speed games on the TV. I don't think any stations broadcast at faster than 120Hz, so anything more is wasted. I think blu-ray may go up to 240Hz, but not sure. Last year Fox Soccer broadcast at 60Hz on my cable station, and it totally sucked. Long passes left a trail sometimes, and there were occasional lags, similar to 1 second buffering. 120Hz is fast enough for soccer and football, which is all that matters.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shirley wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Looked it up, and it's LED backlit LCD. Why this advertising is legal I have no idea. Just keep in mind that it's basically a LCD TV without picture issues around the frame.
As opposed to what? All "LED" TVs are LCD with LED backlighting. It's a weird naming convention, but as far as I know, it's consistent.

I know that was the case, but is it still true?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The super thin ones are true LED, no?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ahhh, there are different types of LED-LCD.

http://shirroo.hubpages.com/hub/True-LE ... ally-Exist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I think it's clear that this TV is the old edge-lit one at 60 lbs. I think the one in my room (which is 50" and about 1/4 the weight of the 60" TV we just bought despite being 70% the screen size of the larger TV) is the "full-array LED" or whatever. It was more expensive than the 60".
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:The super thin ones are true LED, no?

Those are the ones I was thinking about, although I guess technically not.

Is this going on a wall? I'd rather hang 20 lbs than 60 lbs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:

No, this will be for the main family room, and my wife likes to rearrange so much that we need the flexibility to move it, so it will be on a stand.

Now the one in the bar will be hung like GPJ.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

No, this will be for the main family room, and my wife likes to rearrange so much that we need the flexibility to move it, so it will be on a stand.

There you go!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We bought a sweet bar from my in-laws. It's UK-themed, and the floor around the front where the stools go is from the 1996 championship floor at the meadowlands. My father-in-law bought it from the former head of UK's booster club when that guy had to move into a smaller home.

I'll post pictures when we get settled. I love it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

So, lying on the floor?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote: Now the one in the bar will be hung like GPJ.
So, lying on the floor?
The 1996 Championship floor.

(Sauteed by Coach Cal's tears. Ironically.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We have an older 50" plasma and it does get hot. It will actually warm the room after an afternoon of football. Higher electricity usage as well.

We put a projector in our basement. 10' projected on the wall. Watch out for ambient light though. A few table lamps won't hurt, but you don't want to do it without blackout shades. Cost isn't bad. You can get one for <$1500.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Waaaaay late to this, but I think I mentioned somewhere that I finally got a TV for over here. In fact, it's for everywhere. It picks up overseas and American signals plus it has a bunch of other sweet bells and whistles too. And I paid $100 less than what Amazon currently has it at.

The quality is amazing. Grand Theft Auto V looks great. TV shows I, uhhh, borrow from various internet friends look really excellent too. Plus it has the internet, mirroring to tablet/cell phone devices with the right software & NFC, bluetooth, etc...the TV does nearly everything you'd want a TV to do.

Now, you can certainly get a TV for cheaper. If you're on a budget I totally recommend it. I had to stay away from plasma for the simple reason that when I go to move (or PCS if you're military) the military will refuse to ship it. They break easily, and being a high ticket item, the military doesn't want to shell out a couple grand each time it happens. Even if I kept the original box and everything they would say no. (So, no wonder that the only TVs that remain in stock at the BX are plasmas.) So that ridiculously awesome Sony? Sold.

It looks pretty decent in my living room too: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

mini puke to 1,558
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I ended up getting the samsung i linked. It went down another 20 bucks so it was seventy cheaper than best buy. the picture is kinda insane. almost 3d on some shit. and sports are epic.

downside is the smartv hub from samsung hasn't been 100 percent awesome. going to move the wireless routher tomorrow to see if that helps.

also i am hammered.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just pulled the trigger on this 60" Vizio for $680, dougs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-ser ... Id=7172045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn. That's nice. Good purchase.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I got the 65" Vizio smart TV for $900 last month.

I recommend the sound bar, it makes a world of difference (especially when having people over to watch big fights, games, or movies).
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So, anything change in the last 5 years?

Had no idea when I bought my TV, but this thread seems like it's been 5 years. Screen went black. Did some research, and it seems like the backlight inverter is the problem. I just can't find a manual online, because my model was discontinued in 2014. If I can figure out the part number, they seem to be around $50-$75 and not too difficult to fix. OTOH, my wife would rather buy a new one that let me fix it.

No idea what is going on in the TV market, bit it seems like they stopped making plasma 3 years ago, and virtually every TV is 4K/HDR. Last article I read said 4K was a waste of money, but now it seems ubiquitous.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

At this point, I would picking a size and then find whatever deal is the best for you. THe last one I bought was and Amazon Fire TV enabled Toshiba. It is 4k and it has been great.

Looks like they have them up to 55 IN. I like it because there's no external box or stick. Everything is in the TV.