Car buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Car buying

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF got a 2017 Subaru Outback about a month ago. Pretty sweet ride. She sold me her old car (a 2008 Honda Accord) for my oldest daughter to use.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My older son is the one who really gets screwed here. He was expecting to get that Element in a few more months. Now he'll have to wait until we pay off my wife's van so we can get him a used car or give him the Tucson and I'll get something else.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bfj wrote:Image

Dude, can you pick me up some toner while you're there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

That shit is expensive, I have a car payment now.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone here follow Doug DeMuro's YouTube channel? I didn't realize he had one until last week. I would read all of his articles on Jalopnick.

He reviews all types of cars. And even does quirky shit like take his viper to Carmax.

https://youtu.be/rvDrQFGhJA0

https://youtu.be/AO71AbW5RTo
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Found My Next Car

Once the CRV breathes its last...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And you won't have to pay for parking!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

That shit is expensive, I have a car payment now.

Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone ever use the U.S. News Best Price Program?

Looking to buy a new car, right now I'm thinking the 2018 Honda Accord. I'm liking the new look, and the interior and ride is better than everything else I looked at. I told them upfront I wasn't buying, as my wife is pushing for a 3rd row SUV, and she wanted to drive one before I purchase, but the sales manager sat down and negotiated against himself for 15 minutes. Long story short, I played around US News, and got quotes from two other area Honda dealers that beat the price they gave me in person. Significantly. I know the manager would have moved, and would probably match the offers I got online, just wondering if anyone used this site, or know if the best price, no hassle negotiation is actually a good deal. The online prices were $2000 lower at one dealer, $2500 at the other dealer. The one I went to didn't have the exact model/trim/color I posted, so I didn't get a quote from them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:Anyone ever use the U.S. News Best Price Program?

Looking to buy a new car, right now I'm thinking the 2018 Honda Accord. I'm liking the new look, and the interior and ride is better than everything else I looked at. I told them upfront I wasn't buying, as my wife is pushing for a 3rd row SUV, and she wanted to drive one before I purchase, but the sales manager sat down and negotiated against himself for 15 minutes. Long story short, I played around US News, and got quotes from two other area Honda dealers that beat the price they gave me in person. Significantly. I know the manager would have moved, and would probably match the offers I got online, just wondering if anyone used this site, or know if the best price, no hassle negotiation is actually a good deal. The online prices were $2000 lower at one dealer, $2500 at the other dealer. The one I went to didn't have the exact model/trim/color I posted, so I didn't get a quote from them.

Looking at the legalese at the bottom of the site, it's just a rebranded TrueCar site. I've never used TrueCar (or Costco's car pricing program), but I'll probably investigate it the next time I buy a car (which hopefully won't be for several more years).
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:Looking at the legalese at the bottom of the site, it's just a rebranded TrueCar site. I've never used TrueCar (or Costco's car pricing program), but I'll probably investigate it the next time I buy a car (which hopefully won't be for several more years).

Interesting, the sales manager did say he would honor any local competitor's price on TrueCar, so that saves me a trip to a further dealership.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Buy before Thursday!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:Buy before Thursday!

Yeah, they told me that, but I can't get back in this week. Maybe wait until the end of next month?
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I used Consumer Reports service which was basically the same as TrueCar and was happy with the experience. Listed the car with the options I wanted... three dealers sent me prices (none of them were the ten geographically closest dealers). I took the one that gave me the most for my trade in and had them deliver the car/take my trade. Never actually met the salesperson or went to the dealer. That part was fantastic.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Anyone ever use the U.S. News Best Price Program?

Looking at the legalese at the bottom of the site, it's just a rebranded TrueCar site. I've never used TrueCar (or Costco's car pricing program), but I'll probably investigate it the next time I buy a car (which hopefully won't be for several more years).

Bought an Accord through the TrueCar quote. The price expired 2 weeks ago, but they kept calling me to get me in, and promised to honor the price. The price was better than the current TrueCar price, and the sales guy said TrueCar is a almost always a lower price than the manager would approve. They promise a better price to get you into the store, and it worked. I would have bought from a different dealer, but they had a lower price. No haggling or discussion of price at all, and there weren't any waivable fees, unless they would eat the $7 state tire tax. It also saved a lot of time, as I entered all my info and the specs I wanted. They scheduled an appointment, so my car was waiting for me when I got there.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i got a very generous insurance payout on my 2013 camry that was destroyed byhurricane harvey and looters...bought a 2015 nissan altima 2.5 SL with 33000 miles on it. paid cash for it but im kinda ignorant on car pricing...i hadnthree other people wanting to test drive it there while i was talking about it with the guy and there were a real shortage of cars in houston. got a 5 year 120000 mile warranty on it. what would be a reasonable priceto pay before i tell yall what i did pay for it??
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

TT2.0 wrote:i got a very generous insurance payout on my 2013 camry that was destroyed byhurricane harvey and looters...bought a 2015 nissan altima 2.5 SL with 33000 miles on it. paid cash for it but im kinda ignorant on car pricing...i hadnthree other people wanting to test drive it there while i was talking about it with the guy and there were a real shortage of cars in houston. got a 5 year 120000 mile warranty on it. what would be a reasonable priceto pay before i tell yall what i did pay for it??

Did you use Edmunds or a similar site to price it first? https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2 ... value/tmv/

I put in your car and it came out to $14,233 for a private party purchase. $15,500 if you got it from a dealer. But that's my zip code and I didn't know the condition or what options it might have.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

TT2.0 wrote:i got a very generous insurance payout on my 2013 camry that was destroyed byhurricane harvey and looters...bought a 2015 nissan altima 2.5 SL with 33000 miles on it. paid cash for it but im kinda ignorant on car pricing...i hadnthree other people wanting to test drive it there while i was talking about it with the guy and there were a real shortage of cars in houston. got a 5 year 120000 mile warranty on it. what would be a reasonable priceto pay before i tell yall what i did pay for it??

That " we got people wanting to drive this" is often a pressure tactic.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Late to this, but one thing to note when using TrueCar (through USAA anyway) is to expect a bunch of emails of phone calls from every dealer in your local area about the car you're trying to find pricing about. I helped my gf out when she was looking for a Carolla and man, a week plus of me going "Who's number is this? Why do I have all these voicemails?" I had to receive the call and politely explain that I just wanted some pricing. Thankfully they were all understanding.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Late to this, but one thing to note when using TrueCar (through USAA anyway) is to expect a bunch of emails of phone calls from every dealer in your local area about the car you're trying to find pricing about. I helped my gf out when she was looking for a Carolla and man, a week plus of me going "Who's number is this? Why do I have all these voicemails?" I had to receive the call and politely explain that I just wanted some pricing. Thankfully they were all understanding.

This is true. I only put in one car, and limited it to 10 miles, or the smallest radius possible, and the closest dealership to me doesn't participate. I only had 2 dealerships respond, so it wasn't bad. They both called and e-mailed within minutes, and followed up, but it wasn't obnoxious. I started to check on prices of other cars, but didn't, because it would have been too much. My point, I'd only use TrueCar after deciding what you are buying.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote:

That " we got people wanting to drive this" is often a pressure tactic.

it wasnt him saying it it was people walking up to the car while we were standing by iy asking to drive it. after all the fees tax title and license and getting an extra key made i paid 15847 total. my zip code is 77568...howd i do swampers?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The new Subaru Ascent has truck like front grill, double the towing capacity of the outback, and 19 cup holders..
Description reminds me of this
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:The new Subaru Ascent has truck like front grill, double the towing capacity of the outback, and 19 cup holders..
Description reminds me of this

Pretty sure you meant this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No I mean Herb Powell's car. Where Homer said he needs a horn here, here and here.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:No I mean Herb Powell's car. Where Homer said he needs a horn here, here and here.

The answer to everything is the Canyonero.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:No I mean Herb Powell's car. Where Homer said he needs a horn here, here and here.

No way
The Homer has two bubble domes; one in the front, while the one in the back is for quarreling kids, and comes with optional restraints and muzzles.
According to Homer, the engine sound causes people to think "the world's coming to an end."
There are three horns, as Homer claims that "you can never find a horn when you're mad." The three horns play the song "La Cucaracha."
The car also features gigantic cupholders, which actually became a feature on many cars in the 1990s onward.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

No way
The Homer has two bubble domes; one in the front, while the one in the back is for quarreling kids, and comes with optional restraints and muzzles.
According to Homer, the engine sound causes people to think "the world's coming to an end."
There are three horns, as Homer claims that "you can never find a horn when you're mad." The three horns play the song "La Cucaracha."
The car also features gigantic cupholders, which actually became a feature on many cars in the 1990s onward.

"12 yards long, 2 lanes wide. 65 tons of American Pride."

I rest my case.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm with BSF.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There are a lot of things to consider when buying a new truck. So, I'm wondering, is it preferable to get one that's a little bit country, or one that's a little bit rock-n-roll? And how exactly do old Donny and Marie Osmond songs play into your vehicle-buying decisions?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I only buy trucks with customizable tailgates.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm I only buy trucks with customizable tailgates.
Yea all other trucks are obsolete now. Real shame.

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rock N Roll...truck buyers think they're country but that's rarely true.
What am I, 12?
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

It's that time!
the missus has been making noise for the better part of the year.. and i dragged my feet... took the 07Envoy (113K) to the shop this morning for oil change and alignment .. only to be called two hours later and told... need tires (1200) water pump (800) cv boot/contol arm (800)...
did the oil change and parked it... the guy at the dealer said that besides those issues.. body is great, engine is good...

so... i can get the tires for 500 less at costco.. can do the pump myself and save 400.. so that means i'm still at about 2000 all in... but as is, can't get more than $1000 as a trade in.

buy a car? she is considered this awhile and is looking at mid high end..

i also have a 11Jetta w 80K miles on it -- in pretty good shape. could spend the $2000 on the envoy, trade in the jetta for about $4500.. figured the envoy should go up to at least 200K...

so
a-fix the envoy, roll the dice.
b-trade in envoy, buy new car, even after 10% down and low interest, easily $1000/mo.
c-fix the envoy, trade in jetta, even after 10% down and low interest, easily $1000/mo.

jetta is fun to drive, envoy has tons of space --back usually fun of footie gear, soon enough camping gear. envoy gas mileage sucks but whateva.

what say the swamp?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

$2800 in repairs that won't make the car worth $2800 more sounds like a bad idea. I'd sell the envoy (maybe even if you don't need the 1k trade value try to sell it privately and may get a little more) and keep the jetta.

I wouldn't bank on a envoy getting to 200k, personally.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:03 pm It's that time!
the missus has been making noise for the better part of the year.. and i dragged my feet... took the 07Envoy (113K) to the shop this morning for oil change and alignment .. only to be called two hours later and told... need tires (1200) water pump (800) cv boot/contol arm (800)...
did the oil change and parked it... the guy at the dealer said that besides those issues.. body is great, engine is good...

so... i can get the tires for 500 less at costco.. can do the pump myself and save 400.. so that means i'm still at about 2000 all in... but as is, can't get more than $1000 as a trade in.

buy a car? she is considered this awhile and is looking at mid high end..

i also have a 11Jetta w 80K miles on it -- in pretty good shape. could spend the $2000 on the envoy, trade in the jetta for about $4500.. figured the envoy should go up to at least 200K...

so
a-fix the envoy, roll the dice.
b-trade in envoy, buy new car, even after 10% down and low interest, easily $1000/mo.
c-fix the envoy, trade in jetta, even after 10% down and low interest, easily $1000/mo.

jetta is fun to drive, envoy has tons of space --back usually fun of footie gear, soon enough camping gear. envoy gas mileage sucks but whateva.

what say the swamp?
I wouldn't put $2k into a 12 year old car. Last year my 2007 Camry needed a new battery and I was close to needing new tires, and I decided not to gamble. Car ran perfectly, but I didn't want to sink in anything to keep it running.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did the same w/ my 12(?) year old Highlander two years ago. Repairs were like $2,500 so traded it for $3,000 and then leased because I had no idea what I'd want long term and the term and lower payments coincided almost perfectly with the last daycare payment we'll have to make next year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I agree with AB. Keep the Jetta since it's still in fine shape and, as you say, fun to drive. Don't give up on something that's working well. I also would not count on the Envoy making 200K.

Sell the Envoy on your own if you think you can get more than you could towards a trade.

What is it about GM products and the damn cv boots? Seems like every one that I've owned has had that come up...
What am I, 12?
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

so. keeping the Jetta.
and keeping the Envoy for now. Its parked - i'm travelling for next 10 days out of the country, so she doesn't need a second car.
did visit one dealer last weekend .. he chuckled when i asked if there was any trade in value for an 07envoy...

there does seem to be a market if i sell it myself.. so not going to hurry.. expect i'll be sporting a new car (likely a midsize suv) and a new car note starting in may.

thanks Swamp!
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

... and keeping the envoy... and bought a new car. dont' need 3 cars, but the envoy will work as a train/soccer/camping car for a bit longer..
the missus gets her shiny new toy at a considerable discount off sticker. a 2018 to boot with less than 30 miles on it. checked out. made them work the numbers.. spent all saturday up and down route 1 wheeling and dealin.
envoy went on cl last week... lots of bites around $4k... will fix it up a bit then look to sell it at end of summer.

next... motorcycle!