Car buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Car buying

Post by BSF21 »

Thinking we're going to upgrade the wife's/family car to a midsize SUV in the next week or two. Got some coin from the sale of our last home so we're ready to pull the trigger. Any endorsements? Currently we're very high on a Subaru Ascent. Test drove it and loved it, lots of room for doggos in the 3rd row when it's down and room for a potential little one. Thoughts?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah, put that extra money into your mortgage. It ain't going to pay itself off.

Kidding. We have two highlanders and love both, but honestly the newer ones are basically full size SUVs now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We have a Rav4 and its as boring and generic as you could ever wish for.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We've had Subarus in the fam since the 80s. Aside from the very first, we've had nothing but fantastic things to say about them (the first had a not ready for primetime turbo and a shitty dealer trying to fix it.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife loved her Kia Sorento enough that when her lease was due to be up this month we just re-upped into another 3-year lease on a brand new* one. I don't drive it all that often, but it seems like a solid car to me. Seats 7, but with the third row stowed there is a ton of room in the back.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm Thinking we're going to upgrade the wife's/family car to a midsize SUV in the next week or two. Got some coin from the sale of our last home so we're ready to pull the trigger. Any endorsements? Currently we're very high on a Subaru Ascent. Test drove it and loved it, lots of room for doggos in the 3rd row when it's down and room for a potential little one. Thoughts?
We have an Ascent and love it. Drives well, lots of room, very comfortable.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

phxgators wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:19 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm Thinking we're going to upgrade the wife's/family car to a midsize SUV in the next week or two. Got some coin from the sale of our last home so we're ready to pull the trigger. Any endorsements? Currently we're very high on a Subaru Ascent. Test drove it and loved it, lots of room for doggos in the 3rd row when it's down and room for a potential little one. Thoughts?
Can I inquire what trim level? They seemed to have bumped the 2020s up a bit in cost and apparently they were very popular because 2019 inventories are pretty limited.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm
phxgators wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:19 pm
Can I inquire what trim level? They seemed to have bumped the 2020s up a bit in cost and apparently they were very popular because 2019 inventories are pretty limited.
I test drove a Pilot, Highlander, 4 Runner, Santa Fe and Pathfinder. I thought the Pilot was miles above the rest, and would have bought a Pilot but I really loved the Accord. I liked the Highlander, until they had me drive up a steep hill, and it had no power.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My wife rocks a Saturn VUE with lots of miles. We are starting to look. The Ascent and Mazda are leading contenders for the next car. We were thinking about a minivan but may have avoid a car purchase during that period of our life.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh man. Our highlanders can get it. Both are limited trim v6.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:19 pm My wife rocks a Saturn VUE with lots of miles. We are starting to look. The Ascent and Mazda are leading contenders for the next car. We were thinking about a minivan but may have avoid a car purchase during that period of our life.
I went from a VUE with lots of miles to my current Outback.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm Can I inquire what trim level? They seemed to have bumped the 2020s up a bit in cost and apparently they were very popular because 2019 inventories are pretty limited.
We bit the bullet for the Touring. My wife started adding up the options she wanted and it was just easier to do that. Not cheap, but we typically keep our vehicles for a long time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd love a Subaru, but just paid the last installment on my Tahoe today. (Hopefully) Going to enjoy no car payments for as long as possible.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Forgot to mention, my sister got a Sorento, and absolutely loves it. She hates and bitches about everything, so for her to actually like her car is monumental.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

phxgators wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm Can I inquire what trim level? They seemed to have bumped the 2020s up a bit in cost and apparently they were very popular because 2019 inventories are pretty limited.
We bit the bullet for the Touring. My wife started adding up the options she wanted and it was just easier to do that. Not cheap, but we typically keep our vehicles for a long time.
We're between a Limited and a Touring...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:19 pm My wife rocks a Saturn VUE with lots of miles. We are starting to look. The Ascent and Mazda are leading contenders for the next car. We were thinking about a minivan but may have avoid a car purchase during that period of our life.
I have been very happy with my CX-5 (will be three years in October).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We have a 2010 Ford Escape hybrid. We are going to keep it until it falls apart. No signs yet!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pulled the trigger. Picking up an Ascent this afternoon. I'm not gonna sleep for weeks...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm Pulled the trigger. Picking up an Ascent this afternoon. I'm not gonna sleep for weeks...
???

Putting in work to fill that third row???
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:44 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm Pulled the trigger. Picking up an Ascent this afternoon. I'm not gonna sleep for weeks...
???

2 Labradors fit nicely

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 pm
rass wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:44 pm
???

2 Labradors fit nicely
Nice, you'll enjoy all that room then.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

5 days in and we have our first car insurance claim in 7 years. Rock to the windshield.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm 5 days in and we have our first car insurance claim in 7 years. Rock to the windshield.
Happened to us 5 days in our new ride too. Luckily they gave us a windshield warranty.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm 5 days in and we have our first car insurance claim in 7 years. Rock to the windshield.
Occasional Swamper Mulligan bought a new Subaru Outback earlier this year and got rear-ended less than five miles after leaving the dealership.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So apparently they don't make radiator hoses for Saturn Vue's anymore (google makes me think this is not true). Nothing like having the mechanic say..yeah don't fix that...keep some fluid in the car in case, if it overheats just pull over for 20-30 minutes, refill and go on your way....

The radiator has a leak too and the repair is probably worth more than the car.

Apparently we will be doing some car shopping...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Saturn parts are hard to come by I believe. They haven’t made new cars in almost ten years

(Also, Kentucky law requires glass replacement at not cost or deductible. Of course that means it’s built into premiums, but still a nice thing to not have to think about )
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm Saturn parts are hard to come by I believe. They haven’t made new cars in almost ten years
Yup loved buying that car. It was a great experience. The dealer we bought from sold Smart, Caddys and Saturns. However nothing like buying a car and then seeing the brand close down. They are only a Cadillac dealer now, but have a great service group and priced work fairly (not like the premium they charge for service on the Cadillac). Most Saturn parts were pretty standard GM parts...

We knew this was coming. The electronics in the car were acting up. When we drove to the beach the stereo lights would blink with the radio bass (which could be a feature in a pimped ride)...but not a stock Saturn Vue. Also the dashboard odometer stopped displaying...lights burned out I guess. My favorite was the locks would sometimes just trigger while driving.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 pm So apparently they don't make radiator hoses for Saturn Vue's anymore (google makes me think this is not true). Nothing like having the mechanic say..yeah don't fix that...keep some fluid in the car in case, if it overheats just pull over for 20-30 minutes, refill and go on your way....

The radiator has a leak too and the repair is probably worth more than the car.

Apparently we will be doing some car shopping...
try online parts stores. I think they are networks of junkyards. I broke my side mirror a few years ago, typed in the part and color, got an email several junkyards around the county with prices and pictures and they shipped it that day. Super cheap, and a Youtube video made me realize how easy it was to replace.

I got you all beat on the windshield. Bought my wife's car, and while driving the 5 miles home, an acorn or something fell out of a tree and made a scrape line. It was weird, because it only showed from certain angles. I washed it, and thought it was a smudge, but when the light hit it right, there was a visible scrape. Brought it back to the dealer the next day and they replaced it. The owner or manager was super pissed, because when I came back, they couldn't see the line, but then with a flashlight it was visible. I could hear the sales guy saying defending me to the manager saying "come on, how could he be making this up?" My car had the windshield cracked in about 6 months. Fucking State Trooper driving on the shoulder of NJ Turnpike, kicking up a cloud of pebbles, bigger one made a nice crack. Had it sealed, but it annoys the fuck out of me, because it's right above the steering wheel so I always look at it.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Happened to us 5 days in our new ride too. Luckily they gave us a windshield warranty.
Man that sucks. I made it 9 days in my car.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Do you guys all live near quarries or something?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I live just over a mile from the (former) quarry from the end of Garden State, so yes?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You were smart, you played no part
You just taught what you thought, yeah
And I remember when you walked out of Garden State
'Cause you had taste, you had taste
You had no time to waste
Oh, what happened to you kid?
Yes and oh, what's happening now?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 am Do you guys all live near quarries or something?
Mine happened in road construction on I-40 in Amarillo. Fuckin' truck drivers going 80 in a work zone.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 am Do you guys all live near quarries or something?
Now that you mention it, there is a quarry right by the road where my wife's car was hit. Every Tuesday morning they explode shit, and I can feel the vibrations in my house.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I too live about one mile away from a quarry.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pmNow that you mention it, there is a quarry right by the road where my wife... s...hit... Every Tuesday morning ... and I can feel the vibrations in my house.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We recently had to file a claim on my daughter's car. She rear ended someone and caused damage to her car but not the other person's jeep. She went into the hitch and spare tire, but luckily did nothing on the other person's rear end. We use allstate, and had the vanishing deductible and accident forgiveness, so all this was at nothing out of pocket to us or with any increase in premium.

Well, the repair shop has had the car for almost 4 weeks now, and there was a call from the insurance about a supplemental damage that I think is going to end up totaling her car. Which isn't ideal, because we are upside down in it because of how we financed hers and mine when we bought both on the same day.

HOWEVER, for some reason, probably due to the nature of expecting the worst with a teenage driver, I did something I never do, and bought the GAP Waiver protection when we financed. $300 that is now going to pay off big time if they end up totaling the vehicle, which seems likely as this is the second supplement the body shop has submitted.

In short, somehow insurance has worked out for us in spades, which is not something you usually get to say.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Any chance you can get it all? Check 1 from insurer for finance company, check 2 from gap to finance company. You pay scrap cost to finance company or insurer and you keep still good car with no lien? I hear the inspection process for salvage titles is a pain but might be worth checking.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well they ended up not totaling the vehicle. Pick it up tomorrow.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

but luckily did nothing on the other person's rear end.
that IS lucky.