Car buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Car buying

Post by Johnnie »

I really, really want a Tesla. But I'm pretty sure when I get back stateside I'm getting one of these:

Seems like it has more options and is more affordable overall. I just don't know if the recharging infrastructure is there quite yet, but I'm sure it will get better over time.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I think the Supercharger network is going to be the real differentiator over time for Tesla. Having a network of fast charging stations set up all over the country really does make it reasonable to drive an EV on long trips.

That being said, I am really happy there are finally starting to be more EV options.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's my worry right now. If I want to drive to ABQ (from Tucson), can I without worrying that I'll run out of battery? I can't really say. From the looks of the map I saw all the charging stations are in the Phoenix area.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Lots of supercharging options
super.jpg
super.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 901 times

ETA: Link
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nice. But I meant for the Hyundai.

ETA: Yeeeaaaahhh. Not much infrastructure: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just walked past a Hyundai dealership in Gunsan...
PSX_20210515_192127.jpg
PSX_20210515_192127.jpg (222.69 KiB) Viewed 881 times
It's clean.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Forget that. I want the black utility van in the back. Considered a Ford transit for a while but a bit too spartan.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I liked that electric Hyundai, but like you said, not much infrastructure. We will probably buy a Tesla Model 3 within a year,
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ford let Uncle Joe drive the new F150 Lightning which was some clever guerilla marketing.

Here's MKBHD's review:

I like this EV too! EVs are seeing a nice push right now and there's even a tax credit you can take advantage of.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ordered a Model Y. Remind me, is there some referral code thing that gets me and you free supercharging? If so, hit me up.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:42 pm Ordered a Model Y. Remind me, is there some referral code thing that gets me and you free supercharging? If so, hit me up.
Awesome.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:42 pm Ordered a Model Y. Remind me, is there some referral code thing that gets me and you free supercharging? If so, hit me up.
Nice! Long range? Performance? Color?

Yep, link below. Not sure if you can apply it after the fact or not, might have to call in to do it. That's what I did a few years ago when I had a referral. Just told then I forgot to use the link.

Been thinking about upgrading to a Y, the trade in value for my 3 is pretty remarkable right now. Only thing is, the trade in offer is only good for 30 days and I don't think I'd be able to get one that quickly.

How far out is your delivery?
[+] spoiler
Use my referral link to receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles with the purchase and delivery of a new Tesla car, or earn a $100 award after system activation by purchasing or subscribing to solar panels:

https://ts.la/brian79393
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Yep, link below. Not sure if you can apply it after the fact or not, might have to call in to do it. That's what I did a few years ago when I had a referral. Just told then I forgot to use the link.

Been thinking about upgrading to a Y, the trade in value for my 3 is pretty remarkable right now. Only thing is, the trade in offer is only good for 30 days and I don't think I'd be able to get one that quickly.

[+] spoiler
Use my referral link to receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles with the purchase and delivery of a new Tesla car, or earn a $100 award after system activation by purchasing or subscribing to solar panels:

Long range, white exterior, black interior, ordered just before the most recent $1k price increase. Also, 2.49% APR on 72 month loan?!

Yeah, these whips really seem to hold their value. I put the $100 down on 7/13, and delivery is expected in October.

Also, did you get in on Homefield BNS two weeks ago? I spent so much $$ on Gator gear (and bought my wife a Seminoles shirt).
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:09 pm

[+] spoiler

Long range, white exterior, black interior, ordered just before the most recent $1k price increase. Also, 2.49% APR on 72 month loan?!

Yeah, these whips really seem to hold their value. I put the $100 down on 7/13, and delivery is expected in October.

Also, did you get in on Homefield BNS two weeks ago? I spent so much $$ on Gator gear (and bought my wife a Seminoles shirt).
I did grab a few things, but not as much as you tweeted you were grabbing! You're all set for football season, huh?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:20 pm

[+] spoiler

I did grab a few things, but not as much as you tweeted you were grabbing! You're all set for football season, huh?
Forgot that I quote tweeted you on that. I went ham. In my defense, all current Gators attire has been shit since I was there, and I own very little UF gear. Shit, even the 1996 Fun n Gun shirt that I ordered isn't all that great looking. Everything else they offered is fucking gorgeous.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:23 pm
phxgators wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:20 pm

[+] spoiler

Forgot that I quote tweeted you on that. I went ham. In my defense, all current Gators attire has been shit since I was there, and I own very little UF gear. Shit, even the 1996 Fun n Gun shirt that I ordered isn't all that great looking. Everything else they offered is fucking gorgeous.
Yeah, love the baseball tee especially. All my other stuff is kinda plain these days too.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

expect to be in the market in the next 12 months or so .. giving the '11 Jetta to the boy (maybe) have a hankering for a pick up (don't ask, just do)

any suggestions? 'merican? Honda? Toyota?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 pm expect to be in the market in the next 12 months or so .. giving the '11 Jetta to the boy (maybe) have a hankering for a pick up (don't ask, just do)

I really like the new little Ford. Think it's called Maverick.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I like the Colorado from Chevy/GMC. Big enough to haul shit, not big enough for people to ask to help move.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don’t suppose any of you are looking for a motor home?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-F ... 5017300473
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 am I like the Colorado from Chevy/GMC. Big enough to haul shit, not big enough for people to ask to help move.
You'll find out in a couple weeks if you like the Ford counterpart!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:49 am I don’t suppose any of you are looking for a motor home?

Is that an Ashtray in picture 7? Is 165K high or low mileage for an RV?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 pm expect to be in the market in the next 12 months or so .. giving the '11 Jetta to the boy (maybe) have a hankering for a pick up (don't ask, just do)

Drove a Ford for years for my company. Never had any problems with it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:10 am

Drove a Ford for years for my company. Never had any problems with it.
I love my Ranger. I've put 60k miles on it in two years and zero issues. Knocking on wood.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Honda Ridgeline...I've had 2006 & currently have 2014. The 2017-2020 are a little lame in terms of looks but they updated the 2021 to look a little better. I think it has best value & functionality if you need a vehicle for all uses...hauling stuff, long trips, commuting, etc.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:06 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:49 am I don’t suppose any of you are looking for a motor home?

Is that an Ashtray in picture 7? Is 165K high or low mileage for an RV?
That's not an ashtray, but a weighted cupholder designed not to slide off the table while you're driving. Sometimes it even works.

But it looks enough like an ashtray that maybe I should retake that photo.

I think 165K is high mileage for a 2008 Ford E-350 van, which is the chassis the motor home is on. It doesn't affect the coach part of the motor home very much, except that the windows rattle at speeds above 70 mph.

It had 142K miles when we bought it - we got it from Cruise America, a big RV rental outfit. We really like it but bought a newer and nicer one last month.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

[+] spoiler

Apparently they've given me the free miles. I suppose I'll see for sure when I get the car. Thanks phxgators!
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:55 pm

[+] spoiler

Apparently they've given me the free miles. I suppose I'll see for sure when I get the car. Thanks phxgators!
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:43 pm

[+] spoiler

Do you get some free charger miles too?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:21 pm
phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:43 pm

[+] spoiler

Do you get some free charger miles too?
I get some miles too, once your purchase is complete I think. Happier you get them really, we don't end up needing the super chargers often.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Any of youse guys have experience with leases? Thinking of going that route for a bit. Here's the situation:

We have three cars now. Wife, youngest and I all have one here in Lexington. Oldest does not have one in boston

2006 Toyota Highlander - Paid for and will be going to the oldest in DC. Good condition and I will be putting new tires on it before giving it to them. Mileage decently low for that old of a vehicle, but like I said, no mechanical issues.
2012 Hyundai Accent - Youngest drives this and will use it for commute to college this fall. Paid for and overall in good shape for an 18 year old.
2009 Toyota Highlander - Paid for. Just replaced belts and water pump when in Boston. Dropped nearly a grand. Now need tires and maybe some struts. It's paid for and has the highest resale value despite this. In the shop now for an issue with some wobbling which is why tires and struts may be needed. But not sure I want to drop $1500 on it. Higher mileage than any other of the vehicles as it was our primary vehicle.

Here are my two options, as I see it now:

- Fix the 09 highlander and drive it til the wheels come off. But approaching 200k miles so likely be more issues that arise. Give the 06 Highlander to oldest and lease something for our 4th vehicle. (I still want a truck but not tied to it)

- Trade 09 highlander in and get two cars. Two leases, one of each or two purchases. Leaning towards leases just to actually have something new for a bit and lower payments as we navigate the last few years of college payments. I've only had one car that was within 2 years of new when I bought before so something different and nicer would be good (no bluetooth connectivity now, for example).

My main question is what kind of maintenance is covered under a lease? Since they will be 2021 or 2022 models I assume the manufacturer's warranty will cover anything but routine oil changes. Trying to think about hidden costs here. Does insurance change if you lease vs buy? If god forbid there wan an accident on the lease that totaled it would I be required to come up with the money to buy out the lease or does insurance cover that?

We also don't drive very much in either vehicle, so the mileage limits don't look like they would be anything I need to worry about. I've had my 06 highlander for 5 years and only put about 35000 mile on it, so well under the 10k per year they give you. I mostly drive to work and back, but if what I get is the newer one we will likely use it more on weekends than we do now with the 06. With kids driving the 09 gets much less miles than it used to as well.

All thoughts appreciated.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’ll read all that later but wanted to say I’m in dealership right now trying to close a deal on what will be my wife’s 2019 Audi Q5. Which was the plan all along but we’ve been forced to move earlier than expected because my dumb Subaru.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 am I’ll read all that later but wanted to say I’m in dealership right now trying to close a deal on what will be my wife’s 2019 Audi Q5. Which was the plan all along but we’ve been forced to move earlier than expected because my dumb Subaru.
Now we see who's truly important.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:51 am
rass wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 am I’ll read all that later but wanted to say I’m in dealership right now trying to close a deal on what will be my wife’s 2019 Audi Q5. Which was the plan all along but we’ve been forced to move earlier than expected because my dumb Subaru.
Now we see who's truly important.
Jenn?

Sales guy knows a guy on Staten Island who does transmissions, told me to call the shop in regards to the Subaru and drop his name…
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I used to lease cars for the reasons you said...lower payments and can get something newer. Last time I bought new the dealers were including 2 years of regular maintenance so my guess is that is still a thing. Basically, it all comes down to how much you drive. Since you can keep it under the 10k or whatever the allotted mileage is then it is a good deal. I had stop leasing because we were putting 30k miles a year on one car and 15k per on the other.

When you go to lease a new car you should negotiate the price as if you were buying.

Another note: often times the lease specials that dealers advertise can be good deals.
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:35 amDoes insurance change if you lease vs buy? If god forbid there wan an accident on the lease that totaled it would I be required to come up with the money to buy out the lease or does insurance cover that?
I'm 99 percent sure insurance would cover you if you lease.

It's like any other situation with a lender - the insurance lists both you and the lender as insureds. If there is a total loss, the insurance pays the lender up to the amount of the policy. And the lender will generally require that the car is insured to a certain amount - otherwise the lender will insure the vehicle themselves against loss and put the premium on your bill.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got the estimate in for repairs.

Looks like we will be getting two vehicles!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same boat in that we leased a second car last time and you can negotiate down the cost with a lower mileage cap. I knew it wouldn’t get driven much and ended up at like 8,000 or 10,000 per.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Insurance on leases usually requires a certain amount of coverage that wouldn't necessarily have to do if you owned outright so in theory the insurance cost could be a little higher.
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Around here they sometimes try to force a gap insurance policy cause they know collision won't pay off the value to lienholder if totalled. Seem to recall a pretty complex (mostly cause it uses words to explain a calculation) formula in that case. I'd say just read the whole agreement very carefully and don't be afraid to sit there a couple hours or leave with a copy of the paperwork.

Y'all are lucky to be able to live with those caps. I'd hit it the first three months and the penalties are highly punitive upon return. Might also consider the purchase option terms. I presume they aren't particularly attractive.