Car buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Car buying

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Also doesn't TrueCar have a military subsite?
Looks like they have some deal with USAA.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. Last time I was considering trading in / downsizing, I had a price in mind per month* and, when he came back the last time not hitting it, his solution was "well what if we extend it to 64 months" as if somehow that's not real money lost.

* I find it easier to erase all the bullshit of incentives and hidden fees if you just negotiate on a monthly cost and be willing to walk** if they try to tweak it at the end.

** I still have the car I was looking to trade in from the example above.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It would be nice to pay cash for a house too, but that's not the real world. As much as car payments suck if you're realistic about your budget and what you can and can't afford, it's not the end of the world.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, I was never ever going past 60 months and would prefer 48 instead. When I saw 84 months I was like..That's a thing? I wanted a firm "out the door" number before committing to a down payment. But when it looked weird, I bailed.

As for TrueCar, I was using that. But they don't have 2015 Sonata Hybrids as "new" cars. I just went used (which lowers the value, but still gave a good estimate) and judged from there. It's how I estimated the number I wouldn't budge from.

As for that service, it would probably be more a pain than anything. Matching up incoming and outgoing personnel and trading stuff between them wouldn't totally work. Ramstein Air Base (and most everywhere in Germany) used the virtual garage sale website Bookoo to buy, sell, and trade things.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Yea, I was never ever going past 60 months and would prefer 48 instead. When I saw 84 months I was like..That's a thing? I wanted a firm "out the door" number before committing to a down payment. But when it looked weird, I bailed.

As for TrueCar, I was using that. But they don't have 2015 Sonata Hybrids as "new" cars. I just went used (which lowers the value, but still gave a good estimate) and judged from there. It's how I estimated the number I wouldn't budge from.

As for that service, it would probably be more a pain than anything. Matching up incoming and outgoing personnel and trading stuff between them wouldn't totally work. Ramstein Air Base (and most everywhere in Germany) used the virtual garage sale website Bookoo to buy, sell, and trade things.
Have you looked into the USAA car buying service? I was checking it out when I was looking for a new car and didn't need it but was pretty impressed by the prices. Seemed like they were lower than the Edmunds True Value price (which sets an "ideal" target) in most cases.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:It would be nice to pay cash for a house too, but that's not the real world. As much as car payments suck if you're realistic about your budget and what you can and can't afford, it's not the end of the world.
I understand. But it sounds like he's got a running car. Unless it's necessary to finance something, why would you? To each their own. For some, having a nicer newer car is worth the interest on having something like that. I'm just not one of those people. I know sometimes you have to finance something, but paying interest on something for 60 months that does nothing but depreciate doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote:It would be nice to pay cash for a house too, but that's not the real world. As much as car payments suck if you're realistic about your budget and what you can and can't afford, it's not the end of the world.
I understand. But it sounds like he's got a running car. Unless it's necessary to finance something, why would you? To each their own. For some, having a nicer newer car is worth the interest on having something like that. I'm just not one of those people. I know sometimes you have to finance something, but paying interest on something for 60 months that does nothing but depreciate doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Well, that's the other side of the story. With the prime/federal funds rate being what it is, there's no excuse to pay more than about 2.5/3 percent for a 60 mo. loan for just about any car unless you're trying to get something really rare or in incredibly high demand. There's all kinds of deals still for 60 months, no interest on hundreds of different types of cars. As a military member especially. I think USAA's highest rate for a 60 month new car loan is something like 2.75 percent. I don't have the math in front of me, but I'm guessing that would be no more than about $1,200 in interest (total) on a $20,000 car.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote:I know sometimes you have to finance something, but paying interest on something for 60 months that does nothing but depreciate doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Unless you're paying $1K in interest for a car that will depreciate at a far slower rate than one you'd get at 0%.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:
BSF21 wrote:I know sometimes you have to finance something, but paying interest on something for 60 months that does nothing but depreciate doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Unless you're paying $1K in interest for a car that will depreciate at a far slower rate than one you'd get at 0%.
I suppose so. You're talking new vs used I assume? My thought process was rooted in the fact that typically once you drive a car off the lot you're losing 20-30% upfront. Is that not the case anymore?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think that's still the case, but your Toyota is going to hold value far better in 5 years than your (insert notoriously unreliable car).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Juuuuust got a phone call asking if I've been thinking about it.

I'm not budging. I still kinda do want the car. How should I play it? Keep firm with my number? Or go up a bit?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Juuuuust got a phone call asking if I've been thinking about it.

I'm not budging. I still kinda do want the car. How should I play it? Keep firm with my number? Or go up a bit?
You're sending mixed signals with your post. It's like any negotiation. Kinda up to you and it depends how strongly you feel. If you really want it and decide it's worth an extra couple hundred bucks and it happens then you're happy. If you're firm on the price and it happens you're happy. If you're consistent with yourself and it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My suggestion is to be a grown up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I simply said that the price as offered was still too much for me. He said he'd try and figure out a deal and get back when he was able. I'll just wait it out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not shitting on ya, just saying we negotiate for things all the time but we don't think of financial negotiations the same way but they are. If you don't really want to pay a dime more for the car then your decision/position is easy.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Johnnie wrote:Well, shit. I just looked at Google and the math wasn't broken at all. A $15,058 loan with 3.49% interest rate over 84 months is $202 a month. Wow. I've been out of school too long.

I need to commit the equation to memory or download an app that computes this stuff for me.

Well, I can still fall on the shady misrepresentation of what the actual cost would be. And the fact that they didn't want to give me my APR despite running my credit. I guess that put me on tilt when looking at their numbers.

As for my credit score, I don't see what the point of having a good credit score is when it's up to complete interpretation by the issuing credit agency. If I'm rocking an 800 (now slightly under that) I would think that that would be good enough to warrant a better interest rate.
I highly recommend for anyone buying a car to use a payment calculator and work numbers in advance...

I use this one: http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/simp ... icing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calculate what the monthly payment would be using the best price you think you can get up to the most you are willing to pay using interest rates from 0%-a couple points higher than you know you can get. Make a grid. You can use it to quickly confirm the payment quote you are offered.

Or just look up the calculator on you phone while you sit at the desk...

Most dealers are pretty straightforward these days. They know how much information is readily available and usually try to minimize looking like an asshole.

Shoot straight, be prepared, and most people find buying cars is pretty easy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Friend of mine is one of those who participated in the walkout today. Main goal is less to force Tesla's hand and more to shame the state into better oversight and taking action since 75 percent of the construction jobs were supposed to go to Nevada residents. Quite a few moved up from Las Vegas to work on the factory and are finding that Tesla has not kept their end of the bargain in exchange for a billion in tax breaks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Anyone else put a deposit down on a Tesla Model III? I'm like 180,000th in line. It's going to be awhile.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Anyone else put a deposit down on a Tesla Model III? I'm like 180,000th in line. It's going to be awhile.
Friend at work did it. I was a bit surprised.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Off the subject, but I was just talking to the guy who does my job at Tesla. He works his ass off, more than I've ever heard of in my line of work. They don't spill any nickels there.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I ended up with a 2016 Hyundai Sonata (non hybrid) for $19,500. ($20,900 out the door.) I put $7,000 down and got a 2.25% APR on a 5 year loan.

It took a lot on their part to get me to bite. There was a second visit that went nowhere after our first meeting. I went in good faith, but what they had were used 2015s for too much and new 2016 hybrids for even more.

My purchase happened unannounced on a Sunday night and, I'm told, they basically broke even on the deal.

Regardless, I'm happy with the purchase. Now I'm gunna have my cousin try and sell my jeep. I'll drive it out to him, power of attorney it to him, and give him a cut of whatever he gets for it. I'm just ready to be rid of it, honestly.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kinda liking the 0% Volkswagen offers. Anybody had a Golf wagon?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

HaulCitgo wrote:Kinda liking the 0% Volkswagen offers. Anybody had a Golf wagon?
VWs are weird. I've had a couple of VWs as rental cars (Jettas) and thought they were some of the worst cards I've ever driven. The suspension was crap, and road noise was very loud even with all of the windows up. They're also expensive to repair and maintain, from what I understand.

However, I have friends who say they'll never own anything but VWs. One of my friends swears by his Golf, but I don't think it's a wagon.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:Kinda liking the 0% Volkswagen offers. Anybody had a Golf wagon?
VWs are weird. I've had a couple of VWs as rental cars (Jettas) and thought they were some of the worst cards I've ever driven. The suspension was crap, and road noise was very loud even with all of the windows up. They're also expensive to repair and maintain, from what I understand.

However, I have friends who say they'll never own anything but VWs. One of my friends swears by his Golf, but I don't think it's a wagon.
And their miles-per-gallon never seem to measure up to what they're advertised to be.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I leased two Jettas (a '97 and '00). I guess I didn't have them long enough to expect there to be any major issues (2 and 3 years, respectively) but I really liked both cars. Especially the 2000.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Bought a Ford C-Max today. Nice thing. The '03 Civic finally took a huge flaming shit last week. Not even worth 500. AB, you wont it?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm good with the 03 accord thanks!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

You can at least park it by the intersection.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote:Bought a Ford C-Max today. Nice thing. The '03 Civic finally took a huge flaming shit last week. Not even worth 500. AB, you wont it?
I own a C-Max. C-Max brothers! (Writing it, it sounds like a name of a tampon.)
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Dman you Brian, I take back all the bad thing s I have ever said...nah, fuck it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:I'm good with the 03 accord thanks!
You should be with a cherry like that! I'm still driving a '00 Accord (well, until I get back to WA and sell it).
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm trying to sell my wife's car on Craigslist right now. It's...skeevy. Two people texted about it last night and the conversations were eerily similar. Both offered the same lowball number and then immediately asked my bottom line. I figure it's a dealer or two working together.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

When I sell a car, it's usually very old and not worth much. I usually just take it to CarMax and be done with it. There isn't one in Seattle though, so I'm using a local used car dealer that will buy old cars. I need to find my NC title though. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle with a regular Joe over a $1,000 car.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:When I sell a car, it's usually very old and not worth much. I usually just take it to CarMax and be done with it. There isn't one in Seattle though, so I'm using a local used car dealer that will buy old cars. I need to find my NC title though. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle with a regular Joe over a $1,000 car.
YEah, car max low balled us, I think.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:
A_B wrote:I'm good with the 03 accord thanks!
You should be with a cherry like that! I'm still driving a '00 Accord (well, until I get back to WA and sell it).
Starting to feel better about my 2005 Camry. I just can't see buying a new car when this one runs perfectly, and probably will for years. I also like not giving a fuck when the kids inevitable knock over their bike into the car or otherwise scratch it up. I'm not going to get anything for it, so fuck it. I'm just hoping to get another 3 years, and that Tesla won't be backed up with orders at that point.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

2006 Highlander and "yup".
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Finally need to part ways with my Cherokee. It is so old, Bill Cross rode in it (and Kranepool and brian and flaco and...).

Anyway, I was originally looking for a used compact or crossover SUV, but with what's available in the market and after reading some reviews online, I am looking at buying a new 2016 Mazda CX-5 (Touring package). Will test drive, etc. before purchase. Plan is to pay with a cashier's check, not finance it.

Things I need to watch out for?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

@DSafety: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/2016/recalls/ not trying to scare you off I am sure other cars have recalls as well, but there are other parts of that site that are individuals reporting issues, i wouldn't read too much into their individual complaints, there is too much noise and not enough actual testing.

edit: also this is info coming from someone who might buy a 14 year old porsche 911 so take it with as many grains of salt as you want.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just as a general question, would there be any differentiation between the 2016 and "2016.5" model year calls on these recall lists?

Also, since the Mazda dealer has something like 130 CX-5's from 2016 sitting on the lot, would those cars have been checked to see if the recall affects them?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

FWIW (not much), I once owned a Mazda 626. Worst car I ever owner. That thing broke in every way possible. Just shoddy, shoddy construction. Only car I've ever hated.
Totally Kafkaesque