Car buying

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Car buying

Post by brian »

You seem pretty set on the Mazda so that's fine, but one man's opinion -- I have several friends and family members who have the Ford Escape that's built on the same platform and which should be similarly priced and they all love it.

For whatever reason, my anecdotal experience with people who've had Mazda's is the same as Dave's -- Mazda's are built like shit and I don't really know why.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:You seem pretty set on the Mazda so that's fine, but one man's opinion -- I have several friends and family members who have the Ford Escape that's built on the same platform and which should be similarly priced and they all love it.

For whatever reason, my anecdotal experience with people who've had Mazda's is the same as Dave's -- Mazda's are built like shit and I don't really know why.
FWIW, (not much), to follow on Brian's post, we own a 2010 Ford Ecape hybrid. It's been a fine dependable vehicle, and I like it a lot. Going to hand it down to my daughter. Rides like a truck, though.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:You seem pretty set on the Mazda so that's fine, but one man's opinion -- I have several friends and family members who have the Ford Escape that's built on the same platform and which should be similarly priced and they all love it.

This was several years back (Saturn was still selling cars) but as I recall the Tribute and Escape were built in the same plant. Have to believe the craftsmanship is similar for both vehicles.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:Anyone else put a deposit down on a Tesla Model III? I'm like 180,000th in line. It's going to be awhile.
Just saw this. Had a Model S for a rental car in Norway in July and it was by far the favorite car that I've ever driven. And I used to valet, so I've driven a lot of cars $100,000 and under.

I have to imagine the new one will be at least comparable and I want.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We've had a couple of Mazdas (the 6 and a CX-9). Both have been/were great. We sold the 6 when we moved, we knew we'd need an AWD car in Colorado and didn't want to deal with moving two cars. Still have the 2010 CX-9, it's really low mileage but we've had almost zero issues with it. If my next car isn't a Tesla of some kind, it will probably be a Mazda.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:

This was several years back (Saturn was still selling cars) but as I recall the Tribute and Escape were built in the same plant. Have to believe the craftsmanship is similar for both vehicles.
Mazda CX-5 is built in Japan (with parts from Russia and three other countries), the Escape is built in Minnesota.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote:Had a Model S for a rental car in Norway in July and it was by far the favorite car that I've ever driven.
Where did you go in Norway? We were there in August.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Had a Model S for a rental car in Norway in July and it was by far the favorite car that I've ever driven.
Where did you go in Norway? We were there in August.

Bergen this time. I've been to Oslo and Tromso as well in past trips. Norwegian flies hella cheap from FLL.

Norway is awesome.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Is that Pulpit Rock? We did a cruise along the fjord to see it, but it was socked in.

We were on a cruise in August that went up the Norway coast, with stops in Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger. It was awesome, except for all the rain.

Didn't you also go to Budapest last year - about a week after I did?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I get uncomfortable just looking at you in that picture. (I don't like heights. Especially cliff edges.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

That's Trolltunga. The platform is a lot wider than it looks in pictures. Hundreds of people on it every day, and only one has fallen to their death from what I could find.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Is that Pulpit Rock? We did a cruise along the fjord to see it, but it was socked in.

We were on a cruise in August that went up the Norway coast, with stops in Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger. It was awesome, except for all the rain.

Didn't you also go to Budapest last year - about a week after I did?

Probably - I was there I think last September - it's so easy to get to Europe from Fort Lauderdale, we do a trip or two per year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote:That's Trolltunga. The platform is a lot wider than it looks in pictures. Hundreds of people on it every day, and only one has fallen to their death from what I could find.
Maybe they cleaned up all the others?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Without inserting which way I'm leaning so as to not bias, I'll give the situation and you guys give the best option ...

Facts:
- Wife has a 3+ year old Rav4 that we plan on keeping for a while
- I have a ~12 year old Highlander w/ 140K miles
- The Highlander stuck around because it was paid off and we had a dog and I wasn't driving all that much
- Highlander would likely be described as "fair" condition because of numerous cosmetic dings and scratches and maybe a little puke and blood
- I'm now driving ~35 miles round trip for work on days I go into the office
- Highlander is bigger than needed (we can travel fine in the Rav4) and not gas friendly
- Highlander will eventually start needing money pumped in

Conclusion:
- Highlander's useless-to-us life seems to be up

Options:
1. Buy another car for a 10+ year expected life
Pros: Lower cost long term, cost certainty
Cons: Not sure what I want, no idea what our combined driving situation will be going forward, fucking daycare makes upfront money less appealing

2. Lease
Pros: Less locked in, can run 36 months out until the end of daycare and reassess, lower monthly cost
Cons: Probably costs more in the long run?

3. Stick with the Highlander
Pros: I don't have to do anything, more or less free 2nd car if viewed on a cash basis
Cons: Can change to drastically not free at any moment, bad fit for current usage

Things Worth Noting:
- I care very little to not at all about "fun to drive" cars
- I really like Toyotas and could see myself hating anything else because its not what I'm now very accustomed to

WHAT SAY THE SWAMP???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm buying two cars in the very near future. Looking hard at an older highlander with low miles because we have a highlander right now that has been great.

In your sitch I'd get something with good gas mileage that will last 10 years, put it on an 84 for low payments. Accord/camry, etc.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My only issue with that is we're theoretically in an area where you could go with only one car. No idea what the job situation will be down the line, but walking to/from train with one car as the school shuttle and weekend ride would be quite ok.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: WHAT SAY THE SWAMP???
Find some Yokel in the heart of Coal Country looking for a Highlander, and sell it to him at an unreasonably high price.

I'll vouch for the Camry. Still driving my 2005 Camry without any issues. Closing in on 150,000 miles. I want a new car, as the exterior is all scratched up, and the kids have stained the interior, but I feel it's a waste to trade in a car in great condition. I would love to get a Tesla, but it sounds like it could be years before I could get one of the new, less expensive models, and I can't see spending $90,000 grand on a car.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

$90K sounds like a decent over/under for total purchase price of my next 4 cars.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Leasing is great IF you like "fun-to-drive" cars. If not, it's not worthwhile.

I'd buy a new one and then sell it down the road if your needs change. You don't need to put down a ton of upfront money necessarily.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I noticed a headlight is out this morning and it looks like a remove-a-fucking-tire pain in the ass.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The ones where all you change is a bulb is the best.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That appears to be the case, but I need to make room in the wheel well to remove a bunch of clips and then remove a casing and then reach the clip for the bulb and remove it and...

One video I watched, the guy said he managed to do it without removing the tire but admitted he was "small-boned".
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Be sure to apply some lubricant on the bulb when you install it, otherwise removing it later will be a colossal pain in the ass.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote:I'd buy a new one and then sell it down the road if your needs change. You don't need to put down a ton of upfront money necessarily.
But selling inside of a hypothetical lease window means I'd be pretty solidly upside-down. This is where not having fully spelled out lease fees is annoying because as stated + ~$2-3K for various fees and taxes + purchase option isn't really that much worse than buying now with the free walk benefit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote: WHAT SAY THE SWAMP???
Find some Yokel in the heart of Coal Country looking for a Highlander, and sell it to him at an unreasonably high price.

I'll vouch for the Camry. Still driving my 2005 Camry without any issues. Closing in on 150,000 miles. I want a new car, as the exterior is all scratched up, and the kids have stained the interior, but I feel it's a waste to trade in a car in great condition. I would love to get a Tesla, but it sounds like it could be years before I could get one of the new, less expensive models, and I can't see spending $90,000 grand on a car.
ha! Already bought one. Got two vehicles, both under blue book and sweet financing.Pretty pleased. Not thrilled about the tennager insurance, but hey. You live.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:...Be sure to apply some lubricant on the bulb when you install it, otherwise removing it later will be a colossal pain in the ass...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sabo wrote:Be sure to apply some lubricant...when you in...her...colossal...ass.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
Sabo wrote:Be sure to apply some lubricant...when you in...her...colossal...ass.
Would lubricant really be necessary in that scenario?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:
rass wrote:
Maybe not for you...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
brian wrote:
rass wrote:
Maybe not for you...
Touche.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nice avatar. Pretend I'm photoshopping out "URGER", ok?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm in a 2009 Honda CRV.

Almost hate to type this (in case of a jinx), but never had any issue with it, even last winter when it was under 10 degrees every day for two months.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote:I noticed a headlight is out this morning and it looks like a remove-a-fucking-tire pain in the ass.

You can usually replace them without too much hassle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright, what am I missing here ...

Camry SE MSRP: $23,840

Lease Down: $1,999
Lease Monthly: $5,724 (36 x $159)
Lease End Option: $13,711
Total Cost w/ Purchase: $21,434

So the lease, with zero negotiation, starts me $2,400 under MSRP? Does that mean buying should really put me in the $20-$21K range?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just bought a new 2017 Hyundai Tucson. My 2007 Honda Element was hit and totaled while I sat at a red light.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote:Just bought a new 2017 Hyundai Tucson. My 2007 Honda Element was hit and totaled while I sat at a red light.

Was that supposed to be a picture of your fucked up Honda?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:
bfj wrote:Just bought a new 2017 Hyundai Tucson. My 2007 Honda Element was hit and totaled while I sat at a red light.

Was that supposed to be a picture of your fucked up ...d...?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Aw man, I got high in that car!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:

Was that supposed to be a picture of your fucked up Honda?

No, that was supposed to be a picture of my new ride. The Honda looked fine until we removed the rear bumper and saw how the frame was bent and rippled.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote:

Aw man, I got high in that car!

Yes, yes you did. As did one other Swamper that I can remember.