The Scotch Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Scotch Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Tried the Highland Park 18 last weekend. It was a 50 ml bottle that came with a bottle of the 12. It was really damned good. Pretty much a mellowed out and more subtle version of the 12. Sometimes the distillers make different recipes depending on the aging, but this had to be the same whisky only aged more.

Been debating my next bottle, but I am leaning towards Laphroig at the moment. The review notes of "melted Band-aids," medicine, chemicals, and iodine have me salivating. Liquid campfire sounds divine, as well.

ETA correct year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:Been debating my next bottle, but I am leaning towards Laphroig at the moment. The review notes of "melted Band-aids," medicine, chemicals, and iodine have me salivating. Liquid campfire sounds divine, as well.
heh
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Been debating my next bottle, but I am leaning towards Laphroig at the moment. The review notes of "melted Band-aids," medicine, chemicals, and iodine have me salivating. Liquid campfire sounds divine, as well.
heh
Doh, site blocked at work... Whisky-reviews-gross gives me an idea of where it is going. I tend to like scotches with those flavor profiles in reviews, so we'll see. If I like it, you may see me on My Strange Addiction (or whatever it's called) eating melted band-aids. People seem to either love or hate Laphroig.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tried the Laphroig, and holy fuck do I love it. This might be "the one." Still prefer Lagavulin, but Laphroig 10 is half the price. Plus, there is a code inside the canister that allows you to register a lease for life on a plot of land on their property. They even link Google maps to the exact location of your plot.

You certainly taste the land in a glass of Laphroig. Not as smoky as I would have guessed, but you taste a ton of peat, a fair amount of smoke, seaweed and sea salt. Liquid band-aid is an overstatement. I understand that taste is the iodine so many people reference. There is a lot of that flavor going on. This one absolutely requires a splash of water. Complete sensory overload without the splash. A lot of additional flavors come out with the splash, way more of a difference than any scotch I've tried.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

The Sybian wrote:Tried the Laphroig, and holy fuck do I love it. This might be "the one." Still prefer Lagavulin, but Laphroig 10 is half the price. Plus, there is a code inside the canister that allows you to register a lease for life on a plot of land on their property. They even link Google maps to the exact location of your plot.

You certainly taste the land in a glass of Laphroig. Not as smoky as I would have guessed, but you taste a ton of peat, a fair amount of smoke, seaweed and sea salt. Liquid band-aid is an overstatement. I understand that taste is the iodine so many people reference. There is a lot of that flavor going on. This one absolutely requires a splash of water. Complete sensory overload without the splash. A lot of additional flavors come out with the splash, way more of a difference than any scotch I've tried.
I think I know which scotch I'll be trying next...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:Tried the Laphroig, and holy fuck do I love it. This might be "the one." Still prefer Lagavulin, but Laphroig 10 is half the price. Plus, there is a code inside the canister that allows you to register a lease for life on a plot of land on their property. They even link Google maps to the exact location of your plot.

It's a good one alright.

In order to comfort myself over the aborted trip to Scotland, I just picked up a bottle of Aberlour 12. It's too early to open it, but the weekend now seems a lot more promising.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote:

I think I know which scotch I'll be trying next...
Had a glass last night and followed it up with a Glenrothes, just to contrast the two. Glenrothes tasted like a disgusting fruit bomb afterwards. I think Glenrothes is great and extremely underrated and under priced. I know I discussed upthread, but both of my scotch connoisseur friends say it is their favorite, even prefer it to $200 bottles. Not my style at all, but I still choose it over my other bottle (I try to stock a peaty along with it) at times, just fits the mood sometimes. Glenrothes is aged in Sherry casks, and the sherry taste is pronounced. After Laphroig, it was like drinking Hawaiin Punch spiked scotch.

Laphroig e-mailed me a really sweet official looking Land Lease contract, suitable from framing. They recommend a thick, cream paper for best results. It's pretty funny, and their website is too. They link their Twitter, and make mock ads based on Twitter submitted reviews. Including the horrible ones, which can be great. I also get FB ads from them. I like the video of people tasting Laphroig for the first time. Half love it, half hate it. Some of the bad reactions are funny. They take pride in the extreme opinions they evoke.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Bought a bottle of my favorite liquor in the whole world last weekend.

Tonight it gets opened.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thinking about buying my first bottle of scotch for the house, so what would you guys recommend for someone who's mostly had blends in the past. Don't want to spend a boatload so I've been told think something like Glenmorangie 10 or Glenfiddich 12.

(As an aside, going to restock my liquor cabinet as basically all I have at this point are 3 bottles of Tanqueray (if I'm not drinking beer, I mostly drink G&Ts), a bottle of Brennivin I brought back from Iceland and some assorted no-good crap that the wife uses for making Jello shots and icy drinks by the pool. Gotta also get a bottle of Tito's vodka and a good Canadian whisky.)

((I also still technically have a bottle of (unopened) Woodford Reserve leftover from Hood to Coast, but I'm saving that for if AB ever comes back out to Las Vegas. That stuff stays good, right?))
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Thinking about buying my first bottle of scotch for the house, so what would you guys recommend for someone who's mostly had blends in the past. Don't want to spend a boatload so I've been told think something like Glenmorangie 10 or Glenfiddich 12.

(As an aside, going to restock my liquor cabinet as basically all I have at this point are 3 bottles of Tanqueray (if I'm not drinking beer, I mostly drink G&Ts), a bottle of Brennivin I brought back from Iceland and some assorted no-good crap that the wife uses for making Jello shots and icy drinks by the pool. Gotta also get a bottle of Tito's vodka and a good Canadian whisky.)

((I also still technically have a bottle of (unopened) Woodford Reserve leftover from Hood to Coast, but I'm saving that for if AB ever comes back out to Las Vegas. That stuff stays good, right?))
Woodford should stay good. AB does not.

For whatever reason, I just haven't liked any scotch I've ever tried. I mean, I will drink it if it's there, but to me, the worst bourbon is better than the best scotch. I'm open to trying something recommended after your request is answered.

Regarding stocking a liquor cabinet, I'm happy with Tito's, a few bourbons (Knob Creek, Blanton's, Maker's Mark, Pappy for the top shelf), and some red wine. Everything else is superfluous to me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I am a big Macallan fan. I like it as well as or better than most of the Glens (though I really don't explore a lot with Scotch - i tend towards Bourbons when out where there are decent choices). I have a cask strength that is one of my special occasion whiskeys. The Macallan 10 is a good one to stock on the shelf, IMO.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Macallan is very a very nice easy scotch. As I stated elsewhere in this thread I am also a big fan of the Auchentoshan Three Wood.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Lately I've been enjoying Deanston Virgin Oak.

A fairly light single malt, a bit sweet and really easy sipping. About $45 here in Toronto, so you could probably grab it for less.

http://deanstonmalt.com/our-whisky/deanston-virgin-oak
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Thinking about buying my first bottle of scotch for the house, so what would you guys recommend for someone who's mostly had blends in the past. Don't want to spend a boatload so I've been told think something like Glenmorangie 10 or Glenfiddich 12.

Dahlwhinnie was the first scotch I really liked, but it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive. Now I find it far to sweet. It really depends on the type of flavor profile you like in other drinks. If you like super hopped DIPAs and roasty stouts, you are more likely to prefer a smokier scotch. If you like barrel aged beers and woody bourbons, look for a scotch with that profile. I'd recommend starting off somewhere in the mid to light range. I hated the smoky Islay scotches, but now i love them. I couldn't taste past the smoke. A lot of scotches are aged in sherry casks. A lot of people love the fruity character it gives, but I find it too sweet. If you like that, The Glenrothes is probably the best value scotch. My scotch connoisseur friend with a library of bottles prefers it to many of the $200+ bottles he's had in the past.

Macallan 12 is a very approachable scotch that newer scotch drinkers (at least me and several friends at the time) love. I'd be curious to try it again now. Balvenie Double Wood is a another I loved early on, but don't remember what it tastes like. Try Googling scotch flavor charts, and pick one in the profile you think you might like. I usually read Master of Malts descriptions to get a sense of what choices may taste like when deciding. I think they are spot on, and the reviewers help.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

govmentchedda wrote:

Woodford should stay good. AB does not.

For whatever reason, I just haven't liked any scotch I've ever tried. I mean, I will drink it if it's there, but to me, the worst bourbon is better than the best scotch. I'm open to trying something recommended after your request is answered.

Regarding stocking a liquor cabinet, I'm happy with Tito's, a few bourbons (Knob Creek, Blanton's, Maker's Mark, Pappy for the top shelf), and some red wine. Everything else is superfluous to me.
Try a bottle of 12 yr old Knockando. It is pretty light, very very smooth and a tad sweet, without the kick that puts off lots of bourbon drinkers. Also, remember that there is nothing wrong with adding a nip of water to your whisky, lots of people say there is and they are wrong...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm a proponent of drink it how you like it. I mean don't ruin great whiskey with soda or some shit like that but if you like a splash of water Do it to it. I will do any thing from neat (rarely) on the rocks(more frequently) to water or some ginger drink(a lot). Just enjoy what you're drinking.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I'm a proponent of drink it how you like it. I mean don't ruin great whiskey with soda or some shit like that but if you like a splash of water Do it to it. I will do any thing from neat (rarely) on the rocks(more frequently) to water or some ginger drink(a lot). Just enjoy what you're drinking.
A splash makes a big difference is some scotches. The distiller at Laphroig even says the 10 is made for adding a splash. And here is the science behind it:
Oily hydrocarbons are somewhat soluble in high-proof whiskey. There are long-chain esters and short-chain esters of many varieties. As you add water, the whiskey becomes more polar, and the long-chain esters become supersaturated and start to precipitate in the form of micelles, microscopic "droplets" of esters that have clumped together. In some liquors like absinthe or ouzo, these droplets can get so large that they become visible, and visibly cloud the drink (an intended feature of absinthe preparation). In whiskey, these droplets are usually microscopic and don't visibly cloud the drink, because most of the oils have been removed during chill-filtration.

However, these droplets do something important, in that short-chain esters, being more soluble in the droplet than they are in the diluted whiskey, enter the droplet and become trapped inside. These compounds are now less available for tasting or smelling. Fortunately, these compounds are the oily, grassy compounds that many people do not like in their whiskey, and masking them is considered an improvement.

Royal Society of Chemistry article on the making of scotch.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I fell way behind in updating this thread. Reading through, it is very repetitive, especially me. A few months ago I went into the store with a very short list of what I was going to buy. Once again, I fell victim to the gift box. Ardbeg had a bottle of 10 in a really cool looking box with metal clips on the bottom and included a mini bottle of the Uigeadail and the Corryvreckan. And it was a dollar less than buying just a bottle of 10. I liked the 10 a lot, similar smokiness to Laphroig, but more complexity, and much less iodine and bandaid. No bandaid at all, actually. The finish had a slight anise taste to me, which threw me off, as I hate anise. Haven't tried either of the mini bottles yet, but people seem to absolutely love them.

Currently trying to knock off a bottle of Old Pulteny. Thanks for nothing, Max. Not a fan at all, just glad I found it for a great price. It starts nice with honey and a very light grain, then a kick of what one reviewer described as "cat urine." Not sure how to describe the flavor, but I totally see where that guy was coming from.

I decided to treat myself for passing the SPHR and for the double hit of my work bonus and fantasy football winnings all coming in a short period, so I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin. It is so fucking smooth. I was just waiting for the smoke or alcohol to overwhelm or pack a punch, but it just stops. I'm learning that I no longer like the Sherry finished scotches, but with Lagavulin, the sherry and peat smoke balance out perfectly. Speaking of not liking sherry, I had a glass of Balvenie Double Wood recently. I used to love it, now it was way too fruity and sweet. Glad I ordered it at dinner and didn't buy a bottle. I'm thinking my next bottle is Ledaig or Caol Ila.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

HA! although i had to review and think where did i recommend it? i actually didn't...i just told you all i was sipping it. :)

I wouldn't buy it again either, it's fine, and i had a $50 gift certificate (!!) to a local liquor store and i'd decided to get something i'd never had. Interestingly enough a guy I'd met back in MA who was born in Edinburgh loved the Pultaney - that and Glen Ord are his favourites.

Haven't had as much since moving to YVR ($$$) but I just got a bottle of Oban while back in the states this Christmas.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote:HA! although i had to review and think where did i recommend it? i actually didn't...i just told you all i was sipping it. :)

I wouldn't buy it again either, it's fine, and i had a $50 gift certificate (!!) to a local liquor store and i'd decided to get something i'd never had. Interestingly enough a guy I'd met back in MA who was born in Edinburgh loved the Pultaney - that and Glen Ord are his favourites.

Haven't had as much since moving to YVR ($$$) but I just got a bottle of Oban while back in the states this Christmas.
Well, I guess you didn't. Caol Ila was your brand of choice, right? That is on the short list for next purchase. The bottle is almost empty, so it clearly isn't horrible...
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

If pressed I'd have to pick Talisker or The Macallan. both quite different - Talisker for the peat. :)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just got a bottle of this - Haig Club - as a gift. Mother In Law who knows nothing about booze bought it for me at duty free in Miami.

Apparently, they are pushing this stuff big time in the UK - David Beckham is the face of it. 40 pounds a bottle...

Sipped a bit last night and it is very light and smooth. But smooth and light to the point of being completely inconsequential. A fine scotch for teens wanting to do shots, but at these prices ($60 at duty free), better to stick with Cattos.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Finished off these from a sampler pack I got during my trip to the Auld Country:

I'm still relatively new to Scotch in general and not a connoisseur by any means, so I don't know when to properly drop mentions of "coriander and rose hips" etc. Here are my layman's reviews of each; feedback is welcome:

Laphroaig - First Islay and “peat monster” I’ve tried. Holy shit. I kind of had an idea of what was coming, but really, tastes like someone put a tablespoon of charcoal in each serving. Burns not in the throat, but in the lips, oddly similar to the burn you get from the spices in Mexican food. That said, would not be averse to trying again once I've broadened my palate.

Glenkinchie - Mild, reminded me of the other "entry level" single malts I've tried (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich). Had a slight smell that I couldn't come up with a better word to describe than "septic," but that makes it sound worse than it was. May have been influenced by the outside environment.

Deanston - First Highland that I've tried. Struck me as a medium between milder Speysides and other, heavier varieties. Otherwise pretty straightforward taste, with a relatively stronger throat burn.

The BenRiach - Smooth, with a moderate throat burn. Had a kind of butterscotch-y flavor that grew on me. Of the bunch, the one I would be most likely to buy a full bottle of.

Macallan - No strong opinion. The most “average” of this bunch. Normal taste, somewhat spicy.

GlenDronach - Same odd "septic" smell as Glenkinchie. Kind of spicy but otherwise not really distinct.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Finished off these from a sampler pack I got during my trip to the Auld Country:
Nice work, Johnny. I find later drinks into a bottle taste a bit different than the first for some reason. I've read that exposure to air does this, and makes the scotch better by somehow bringing out more flavors. The same supposed experts also say to let scotch sit for 10 minutes before drinking. Part of it may be getting used to the flavors and being less overwhelmed by them. Who knows.

Had Laphroaig again last week, and didn't love it as much. Drinking Lagavulin may have ruined it for me. I still liked it, but it lacks complexity. Laphroaig more than any other scotch I've tried needs a splash of water. The Master Distiller even says to add water to the 10, and they never say to add water to their masterpieces. I want to try the Laphroaig Triple Wood that came out this year.

Also had The Macallan 12 again for the first time in years. The Macallan and Balvenie Double Wood were 2 of my favorites 10 years ago, but now I find them too sweet and sherry filled. I am all about the Islay and Islands now. The first Islay I tried was Ardbeg, and I hated it. I couldn't taste past the peat. It is definitely an acquired taste you need to build up to. The Island scotches I've had are slightly peaty, but don't have nearly the smoke of Islays. They have a sea salt, briney flavor I really like.

Bought a bottle of Ledaig a while back. It's decent, but not as well made as others. Sometimes it tastes too much like alcohol, but not always, which doesn't make sense. It is smokey, salty and leather and tobacco.

Tried Talisker Storm last week, and it was similar to Talisker, but more peaty. I actually think I like the Talisker 10 better. I love business travel, and expensing bar tabs with a decently stocked bar in the hotel.

The Haig Club has a prominent display in a few of my local stores.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Should have clarified--I did pour out each of the samples and drink from a glass with a splash of water.

Also, I prefer to use a regular rocks glass for the simple reason that it gets me drunk quicker. A few weeks ago I had tried the Glencairn glass with the narrower mouth and after a number of drinks I was still only slightly buzzed, which is a feeling I just can't stand. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of alcohol you take in through inhaling as you drink. I can understand using it for tasting session, but for casual sessions I just prefer to get properly numbed without having to overdrink to get there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
The Haig Club has a prominent display in a few of my local stores.
Don't be this guy...

Be this guy...

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Tried Glenmorangie. Recommended if you like the taste of a cheap blend for a single-malt price.

Any advice on where to get a good selection of sampler sizes? Don't want to keep dropping $40-50 on a bottle of something I may not like.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A decent bar probably your best bet.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Tried Glenmorangie. Recommended if you like the taste of a cheap blend for a single-malt price.

Any advice on where to get a good selection of sampler sizes? Don't want to keep dropping $40-50 on a bottle of something I may not like.

Didn't think to look for this, but if they deliver to your area, give Flaviar a try. It's a subscription service where they send you several to try every month.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Tried Glenmorangie. Recommended if you like the taste of a cheap blend for a single-malt price.

If you're still looking plenty of places put out 5-6 bottle sampler "gift" packs. I think that they're available year round, but liquor stores really start pushing them this time of year.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Costcos scotch is surprisingly decent. It's blended but it fine. And the price is right.

My tastebuds are also likely shot.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also I have a bottle of macallan cask strength I got for my 30th birthday. I turn 40 in a few days. That's the final day for that bottle. It's been a good friend. Always a special occasion. Only other special occasion alcohol I have is a westward my frien spongelikenknja sent me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:Also I have a bottle of macallan cask strength I got for my 30th birthday. I turn 40 in a few days. That's the final day for that bottle. It's been a good friend. Always a special occasion. Only other special occasion alcohol I have is a westward my frien spongelikenknja sent me.
Right behind you, amigo.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:Also I have a bottle of macallan cask strength I got for my 30th birthday. I turn 40 in a few days. That's the final day for that bottle. It's been a good friend. Always a special occasion. Only other special occasion alcohol I have is a westward my frien spongelikenknja sent me.
I've got a bottle of Macallan gold I got for my 50th. It's my "special occasion" dram and three years later is still half full.

My youngest turns 18 this weekend. That seems special.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Welcome to the club. I am always amazed how many of us are right around the same age.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Scotch

Post by govmentchedda »

C'mon Sabo.

So, if you wanna go full strength, you can't go wrong with Laphroaig, but it's definitely on the peatier (stronger tasting) end of things

If you want something lighter, and not technically scotch, because Japan, Suntory's Toki is really good. My wife is a huge fan.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Scotch

Post by govmentchedda »

You cant really go wrong with Macallan or Ardbeg or Balvenie.

Balvenie is probably the most bourbon like, IMO.

Macallan is a step closer to a traditional scotch on a random ass bourbon-scotch spectrum.

Ardbeg is a little peatier, but not to Laphroaig levels.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo, I knew everybody would chime in with great single malt options. But, to be contrarian - if your friend usually drinks J&B, he might prefer blended scotch over single malt (crazy, I know). If so, you should get him a upper-tier blended scotch, like Chivas Regal or Johnny Walker Black or Gold.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian