List Ends.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Re: Scotch

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, everyone. I know my friend likes Laophraig, so I might just get that bottle and call it a day.

(But good lord, do I hate the taste of Laophraig. It's just a horrible beverage.)
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm List Begins:

Oban 14

List Ends.
Oban's gotten pricey lately though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:33 pm Do we need to call the DTP here? http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=617
Good looking out carwash
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Scotch Thread

Post by The Sybian »

For blends, I'm a big fan Glenrothes and Monkey Shoulder. My two insanely knowledgeable Scotch drinking friends both separately named those as the best blends, and they are ridiculously inexpensive. Almost bought Monkey Shoulder this weekend for $35.

I love Laphroig. Close to finishing off a bottle of the Triple Wood which is by far my least favorite Laphroaig so far, planning on getting a different Laphroaig when it's gone. I like Ardbeg, but the 10 is a major peat bomb. I wouldn't give Ardbeg 10 to someone unless you know they love peat. The Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are both awesome, and seem to have come down in price into reasonable range. Lagavulin seems to have plummeted in price several years ago and remained lower. One of these days I want to try their Nick Offerman edition.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ardbeg An Oa is lovely.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Whoever figured out how to merge threads is a goddamned wizard. Scout salute!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:14 pm Whoever figured out how to merge threads is a goddamned wizard. Scout salute!
Damn, I thought I was going crazy! I tried posting, my first post in here today, and said something about an old Scotch thread but kept getting error messages. Then I posted here and wondered how I thought the first post today was the start of a new thread.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

wow this thread brings back some memories. :)

yeah chedda i was surprised to hear you say Ardbeg isn't as harsh as Laphroig - Laphroig is one of my faves...but Ardbeg is *tough* - admittedly it's been probably 8 years since i've tried it but again i like to bring up some "tasting notes" i read about it once in a book: "hints of rope and tar" :D

(now that i type this, i really want to try it again)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 pm wow this thread brings back some memories. :)

yeah chedda i was surprised to hear you say Ardbeg isn't as harsh as Laphroig - Laphroig is one of my faves...but Ardbeg is *tough* - admittedly it's been probably 8 years since i've tried it but again i like to bring up some "tasting notes" i read about it once in a book: "hints of rope and tar" :D

I’d say Ardbeg is harsher, too.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 pm wow this thread brings back some memories. :)

Huh? Maybe the last Ardbeg I had was the An Oa?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:20 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Huh? Maybe the last Ardbeg I had was the An Oa?
I was thinking of Ardbeg 10. Not sure if I tried Oa.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Has anybody tried any of the Indian molasses-made whiskys?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm Lagavulin seems to have plummeted in price several years ago and remained lower. One of these days I want to try their Nick Offerman edition.
Finally bought a bottle of the Offerman Edition Lagavulin. Turns out they made a different second edition, which was stored in oak barrels previously filled with Guinness. Lagavulin at 11 years is a bit young and packs a little more burn than I'd prefer, but it's still damned good. The Guinness casks gives it a bit of an oak flavor and some chocolate and roasty malt. Some sips, the chocolate tasted almost like the cookie part of an Oreo. I really like this one. I prefer Lagavulin 16, but this is a nice change of pace.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Forgot about this thread...

Part of my retirement plan centres around whisky purchases. A fun way to save etc...

I have some really nice bottles of Bowmore, a complete Penderyn Grand Slam collection, a few bottles of really decent Sullivan's Cove and a couple of nice Karuizawa and Suntory efforts. I would like the enter the world of The Macallan, but that is a pretty expensive world.

I have a rough idea what they are worth and they'll provide some pennies down the line.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That reminds me. Covid-willing, my wife and I will be visiting friends in England and Scotland in April (mainly for a wedding.) My Scottish buddy is taking me to a Rugby Union game, and a tour of Scotch whisky distilleries. He asked me if I have any particular distilleries in mind. But frankly, I’m not a scotch guy, so I’m open to suggestions.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 pm That reminds me. Covid-willing, my wife and I will be visiting friends in England and Scotland in April (mainly for a wedding.) My Scottish buddy is taking me to a Rugby Union game, and a tour of Scotch whisky distilleries. He asked me if I have any particular distilleries in mind. But frankly, I’m not a scotch guy, so I’m open to suggestions.
Just go to Islay.

My parents went to several and really enjoyed the tour Edradour. Mostly because the old battle ax running the tour. She was nasty and mean, and my Dad loved it. She was particularly spiteful towards Americans.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 pm That reminds me. Covid-willing, my wife and I will be visiting friends in England and Scotland in April (mainly for a wedding.) My Scottish buddy is taking me to a Rugby Union game, and a tour of Scotch whisky distilleries. He asked me if I have any particular distilleries in mind. But frankly, I’m not a scotch guy, so I’m open to suggestions.
If it is a short trip and you are staying near Glasgow or Edinburgh, I would go to the Auchentoshan distillery near Glasgow, but otherwise I agree, you should go Islay and at least do Port Ellen (pretty sure there is a ferry) and Ardbeg , before going up to Bowmore.

I have never done a highland tour and I also have been told that the Dalwhinnie (which is a Speyside) tour in the Cairngorms is great.