NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: NFL Offseason Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Russell Wilson gets paid...

4-year, $87.6-million extension...$31 million signing bonus, and total guarantees of approximately $60 million.

Yowza...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seattle's going to regret that contract in a couple of years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You mean not paying a competent QB like a Gunner anymore? I'd say they're regretting it already.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just mean that's a lot of money for Wilson. If Wilson gets $60M guaranteed, then Luck should probably get $100M+
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:Seattle's going to regret that contract in a couple of years.
Maybe...but its not like they had much of a choice. Good QB's are hard to find, and can't argue with the results that he's had so far.

I hate to say this...but kinda wish he wasn't such a Jesus Freak. But given the choice, rather that he be out there talking about not banging Ciara than getting arrested for hot boxing a 12 year old while driving a Bentley at 143 MPH.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Did any of you read the comments that Warren Moon made comparing his situation as a black QB to Wilson's position as a short QB?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... f-his-size

Just wondering if anyone else thinks the 'Short' call is BS? I think Wilson gets plenty of respect is a good game manager who generally makes good decisions, but he certainly cannot carry a team on his back to victory in the same manner that Rogers, Brady, Big Ben.

I believe that there are quite a few QBs in the league, who given the roster and coaching that Wilson has, would prosper in a similar manner.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

I think Jimmy Graham is the exact thing that Russell Wilson needed to be looked at as a Top 5 QB by this time next year. He's gone to two superbowls with mediocre receiving corps at best. I think he puts up really, really good numbers this year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:Seattle's going to regret that contract in a couple of years.
Maybe...but its not like they had much of a choice. Good QB's are hard to find, and can't argue with the results that he's had so far.

I hate to say this...but kinda wish he wasn't such a Jesus Freak. But given the choice, rather that he be out there talking about not banging Ciara than getting arrested for hot boxing a 12 year old while driving a Bentley at 143 MPH.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. Not paying him wasn't an option either.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It's a rather short deal. I'd bet that it will work out for them. Dave is right - if they wait for a QB, and don't get one, they have just squandered a few years of one of the best teams of all-time (relative to rest of league).
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

There are good teams out there that would have like maybe 1 or 2 players that would start on this defense.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seems like the latest trend is to keep these QB deals short, which makes sense. I guess that's the only leverage the team really has and it means if the QB stays healthy and productive, he can get at least one and sometimes two more big deals.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guy is a really good QB too. I tend to think Rodgers is at another level than the other guys mentioned but there isnt that big a gap between Brady/Rothlisberger and Wilson. Id bet he will very definitely be able to carry a team to wins over the next 3-4 years. He has a really unique skill in his movement combined with field vision. That along with the most important attribute of not throwing it to the other team, except for the SINGLE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL, makes him way better than a game manager. And yeah, not like Seattle had a choice. You dont let young franchise QBs walk away. End of story.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote:Guy is a really good QB too. I tend to think Rodgers is at another level than the other guys mentioned but there isnt that big a gap between Brady/Rothlisberger and Wilson. Id bet he will very definitely be able to carry a team to wins over the next 3-4 years. He has a really unique skill in his movement combined with field vision. That along with the most important attribute of not throwing it to the other team, except for the SINGLE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL, makes him way better than a game manager. And yeah, not like Seattle had a choice. You dont let young franchise QBs walk away. End of story.
I agree with all of this. Wilson has a career QB rating of 98.6, despite having a fairly pedestrian set of receivers. The perception that he's a "game manager" comes from the fact that Seattle has such a strong running game. But that fails to recognize that Wilson is a huge part of Seattle's running game, as he ran for 850 yards last season. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think Wilson is the best young QB in the game, and is even better than Luck.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And it's not because of his leadership or moxie or character or faith, it's because he's a very athletic QB with a cannon for an arm. Dude throws darts on the run.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:Guy is a really good QB too. I tend to think Rodgers is at another level than the other guys mentioned but there isnt that big a gap between Brady/Rothlisberger and Wilson. Id bet he will very definitely be able to carry a team to wins over the next 3-4 years. He has a really unique skill in his movement combined with field vision. That along with the most important attribute of not throwing it to the other team, except for the SINGLE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL, makes him way better than a game manager. And yeah, not like Seattle had a choice. You dont let young franchise QBs walk away. End of story.
I agree with all of this. Wilson has a career QB rating of 98.6, despite having a fairly pedestrian set of receivers. The perception that he's a "game manager" comes from the fact that Seattle has such a strong running game. But that fails to recognize that Wilson is a huge part of Seattle's running game, as he ran for 850 yards last season. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think Wilson is the best young QB in the game, and is even better than Luck.
Also factor in that the Hawks have had a pretty pedestrian O-Line the last few years. Wilson has done a fair bit of running for his life...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Seahawks are already going to be in deep cap trouble as soon as next year. It looks like they actually spread the cap hit out on Wilson more evenly than teams usually will (though with a four year deal there's only so much you can do anyway). Again, not saying they shouldn't have signed him -- their hands were tied, but they're not going to be able to keep the team as presently constructed together for more than another year or two.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:The Seahawks are already going to be in deep cap trouble as soon as next year. It looks like they actually spread the cap hit out on Wilson more evenly than teams usually will (though with a four year deal there's only so much you can do anyway). Again, not saying they shouldn't have signed him -- their hands were tied, but they're not going to be able to keep the team as presently constructed together for more than another year or two.
That's likely true...they are having to pony up big $$$ for players now (Sherman, Thomas, Lynch, Wagner) and also have players now wanting to re-negotiate their deals 1 or 2 years after signing them (Bennett, Chancellor).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They may get in cap trouble, but teams have spent a hell of a lot of money on QBs like Cutler, Dalton and Kaepernick who are not in the same class as Wilson.

No choice for the Seahawks.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This Junior Seau HOF bullshit is absolutely revolting.

My love for football is so deeply ingrained, that I can not even begin to pretend that crap like this, or the obvious, rampant PED abuse in the league, or the brutal price so many players pay, or the continual hypocrisy of the league on so many issues (or even the ongoing impotence of the Bills and that pile of crap in northern Ohio) will cause me to watch less of the games.

Because if it hasn't by now, than it probably never will - the NFL is such a major part of my autumns and winters.

But it has now entered that area where I no longer try to defend my enjoyment of the game. It's like boxing - I am almost apologetic when I tell people that I enjoy it. Because really, the NFL and its behaviour is just indefensible on just about every level.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Aldon Smith...arrested again...
From the PIO: SCPD arrested Aldon Smith last night for Hit&Run, DUI, and vandalism. A press release will be provided later this morning.
7:36 AM - 7 Aug 2015
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm trying to figure out if he did it all in the same act. Like he drunkenly rammed into a backloader that subsequently hit a statue and knocked the head off it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean that's gotta be it for him right? How do you justify keeping a shithead like that on your roster no matter his talent.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He gone. I guess the Niners were reading this thread.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:I mean that's gotta be it for him right? How do you justify keeping a shithead like that on your roster no matter his talent.
I'm trying to figure out how he stays out of jail...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:I mean that's gotta be it for him right? How do you justify keeping a shithead like that on your roster no matter his talent.
Rumor is that the car he intentionally smashed into and vandalized was Kaepernick's, and that Smith's motivation was that Kaepernick is dating his ex-girlfriend. That's a pretty spectacular way to write your ticket off the team.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Rumor is that the car he intentionally smashed into and vandalized was Kaepernick's, and that Smith's motivation was that Kaepernick is dating his ex-girlfriend. That's a pretty spectacular way to write your ticket off the team.
I mean, ideally maybe he would have some sober someone else drove him to Kaep's neighborhood, and then get behind the wheel for the ramming, but hells yeah!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pruitt wrote:This Junior Seau HOF bullshit is absolutely revolting.

My love for football is so deeply ingrained, that I can not even begin to pretend that crap like this, or the obvious, rampant PED abuse in the league, or the brutal price so many players pay, or the continual hypocrisy of the league on so many issues (or even the ongoing impotence of the Bills and that pile of crap in northern Ohio) will cause me to watch less of the games.

Because if it hasn't by now, than it probably never will - the NFL is such a major part of my autumns and winters.

But it has now entered that area where I no longer try to defend my enjoyment of the game. It's like boxing - I am almost apologetic when I tell people that I enjoy it. Because really, the NFL and its behaviour is just indefensible on just about every level.
Same.

I've been moving away for years. Boxing is the obvious analogy.

I don't know any numbers on this. But I'd guess that in many parts of the country the participation level in youth tackle football is going down. It's interesting that as the NFL is trying to breach the European market by playing games in England, they may face a decline in the home market before too long. We may be in the time of Peak NFL.

I have long been puzzled on the PEDs-in-the-NFL issue. I can't think of a sport other than body building and weight lifting where PEDs would be more helpful in creating a competitive advantage. So many of these guys are ripped or just massive, and recovering from injury is obviously a big deal. Career rewards are enormous, and careers are short. So I'd expect the temptation to use PEDs, starting in college but accelerating in the NFL, would be intense.

Yet there are so few cases where players are suspended due to PEDs use. I hardly ever even see any aspect of the topic discussed by the media.

I wonder what I'm missing. Is the NFL's testing regimen so good that players know they can't take a chance? Or is it so lax that there are many heavy users who are getting away with it?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:This Junior Seau HOF bullshit is absolutely revolting.

I have long been puzzled on the PEDs-in-the-NFL issue. I can't think of a sport other than body building and weight lifting where PEDs would be more helpful in creating a competitive advantage. So many of these guys are ripped or just massive, and recovering from injury is obviously a big deal. Career rewards are enormous, and careers are short. So I'd expect the temptation to use PEDs, starting in college but accelerating in the NFL, would be intense.

Yet there are so few cases where players are suspended due to PEDs use. I hardly ever even see any aspect of the topic discussed by the media.

I wonder what I'm missing. Is the NFL's testing regimen so good that players know they can't take a chance? Or is it so lax that there are many heavy users who are getting away with it?
I don't know the details of the NFL's testing regimen, but I suspect it's pretty weak. One thing that came out in the Aaron Hernandez murder trial is that Hernandez was smoking massive amounts of weed but never failed an NFL test. I believe that this is because the NFL tests at very predictable times, unless you're already in the league's substance abuse program. So all you need to do is stay clean for a few weeks before the date you know you'll be tested.

Also, from what I've read on the PEDs issue, I think athletes are probably getting away with PED use in every major sport. Even a rigorous testing regime can be beaten -- either through microdosing or through new designer steroids that are undetectable with current tests. In the BALCO case, the only reason those guys got caught is because a track coach turned over a sample of the steroid they were using. Even the most egregious BALCO guys, like Tim Montgomery, were passing all their tests. Similarly, Lance Armstrong, who used microdosing, passed hundreds of drug tests.

There are very few ways for leagues to actually deter PED use. One would be to keep blood/urine samples for years, and retest them as new testing methods emerge. The Olympics has started doing this, but it's a lot easier to strip someone's medal than it is to punish an NFL player years after the fact. Another option is the biological passport, which can be used to discover abnormal fluctuations from an athlete's baseline testosterone level. This has been used in cycling, track, and more recently, tennis. Microdosing is probably the toughest method to stop though, as it allows athletes to take small doses of PEDs at night and be able to pass a test the next morning. You'd have to wake guys up unannounced in the middle of the night to have a chance at catching microdosers.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Or is it so lax that there are many heavy users who are getting away with it?
I would be shocked if this is not the case. I assume the vast majority, like 60% of NFL players juice, or have at some point in their college/pro career.

It is not in the perceived best interest of the powers that be in the NFL for it to be otherwise.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You look at certain guys at certain positions and given their public profiles I'd bet my nuts they're juicing. JJ Watt for example. Marshawn Lynch. Rob Gronkowski.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

But if so many were juicing, wouldn't there be quite a few off-field cases of uncontrollable anger, violence, and substance abuse?
Oh.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jets....just being the Jets...
Jets quarterback Geno Smith has been injured in a fight in the team’s locker room and will likely miss the start of the regular season.

In a stunning announcement today, Jets coach Todd Bowles said that Smith suffered a broken jaw when he was “sucker punched” by Jets linebacker IK Enemkpali. The Jets have cut Enemkpali as a result.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Jets....just being the Jets...
Jets quarterback Geno Smith has been injured in a fight in the team’s locker room and will likely miss the start of the regular season.

In a stunning announcement today, Jets coach Todd Bowles said that Smith suffered a broken jaw when he was “sucker punched” by Jets linebacker IK Enemkpali. The Jets have cut Enemkpali as a result.
I'm seeing estimates that Smith will be out 6-10 weeks. Enjoy those smoothies, Geno!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:15 am Kellen Winslow Jr was allegedly jacking it in a Target parking lot

His car was littered with Vaseline and empty synthetic marijuana packages. That Target is just a mile or two away from where I work. The Boston Market is back in the other direction on the same side of the highway as Target. Navigating jug handles (that same road still has a traffic circle, too) while sober is bad enough, so I can't image trying to do it high.

So...a trial?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rass, you should have checked in as safe on Facebook after the nearby jacking.

EDIT: Why is he dressed like a guy who jacks off in parking lots? Is he using Roethlisberger's legal team?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 am Rass, you should have checked in as safe on Facebook after the nearby jacking.

EDIT: Why is he dressed like a guy who jacks off in parking lots? Is he using Roethlisberger's legal team?
To be fair, the trial isn't about jacking it in parking lots I don't think.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah but it's best not to look like a parking lot jacker if you're accused of parking lot jacking and also charged with a lot of rapes IMO
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A successful rapist wouldn't need to jack it in a parking lot.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HE'S A FUCKING SOLDIER.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.