Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by Johnnie »

I thought it was something you can turn on and off all of the time. I'm just going to leave it plugged in from here on out.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hey...does anyone here do any web programming?

I've gotten tasked with writing a web-based gui for controlling an Electron Microscope. I haven't written HTML in years (like 20...back when the web was in its infancy), and as I sat there today trying to get things arranged and lining up correctly, I got thinking, "there's gotta be a better way"...

So....is there like some kind of graphical layout toolkit for laying out webpages...similar to Qt Designer for doing Qt GUI's?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Hey...does anyone here do any web programming?

I've gotten tasked with writing a web-based gui for controlling an Electron Microscope. I haven't written HTML in years (like 20...back when the web was in its infancy), and as I sat there today trying to get things arranged and lining up correctly, I got thinking, "there's gotta be a better way"...

So....is there like some kind of graphical layout toolkit for laying out webpages...similar to Qt Designer for doing Qt GUI's?
Oiler might be able to help you out.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I highly recommend you take a few hours and catch yourself up on modern HTML/CSS/JS via codeacademy.com. It's a great site and it's free. I did that a year or so ago, because I was curious about JQuery. It was really helpful. It's amazing how much web development has changed in the last few years.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:

I highly recommend you take a few hours and catch yourself up on modern HTML/CSS/JS via codeacademy.com. It's a great site and it's free. I did that a year or so ago, because I was curious about JQuery. It was really helpful. It's amazing how much web development has changed in the last few years.
I've been doing the javascript portion of CodeAcademy, which has been very helpful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

JQuery is simultaneously the most awesome thing ever and the bane of my existence.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:JQuery is simultaneously the most awesome thing ever and the bane of my existence.
I haven't used it enough to get angry with it, so I'm still in the Most Awesome phase. I really wish it had been around years ago when I was doing a lot of HTML and JS work.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:JQuery is simultaneously the most awesome thing ever and the bane of my existence.
I haven't used it enough to get angry with it, so I'm still in the Most Awesome phase. I really wish it had been around years ago when I was doing a lot of HTML and JS work.
It's awesome until you're trying to mesh multiple systems and have to deal with constant JQuery conflicts. If I worked in a single platform environment, I'd be all-in. But there's never going to be a super-awesomeness silver bullet where web design is concerned.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm trying to connect to insecure network at a library with my work laptop. It keeps asking for the security key, but there isn't one. IT recently made some system changes, and I never had an issues in the past. Phone connected without a password. I've done everything in the trouble shoot, nothing worked. Any ideas?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Alrighty so I've got a new laptop in the box ready to replace the one I'm using. I'm going to copy some work and game files over to a HDD so I can swap the things I need but what I want to know from one of you smarter guys than me is: what do I need to do out of box to make sure my laptop is as secure as possible from virus/malware junk? Any particular constant stuff? Just run MalwareBytes and a handful of others on a regular schedule? Forget 3rd party security and let Windows Defender do it's thing? I need this thing to last for the next 3 years minimum.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've never really had any luck with any 3rd party tools, so I don't bother with them. My new laptop from Microsoft is just set up with Windows Defender and MS is pretty serious about their computer security. I'd recommend sticking with that.

BTW, I just put Windows 10 on my laptop and this is my first browsing session with the new Edge browser. So far, so good.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Corporate shill.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

duff wrote:Corporate shill.

I upgraded to Windows 10, because IE 11 was driving me fucking crazy. I'm hoping Edge is better. And Chrome barely works at all on this laptop for some reason.

It's funny all the bitching around my office lately. We've had to switch from Gmail to Outlook, Webex to Skype for Business, some folks from Macs to Windows, etc. Let's just say it hasn't all been a positive experience.

That said, this new laptop is pretty cool.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

duff wrote:Corporate shill.
When I worked for Bill we were highly encouraged to "eat our own dogfood" and expected to use pre-release windows, office, etc...Two of my machines were setup for non-English. Nothing more frustrating than trying to test something when you don't even know how to enter Kanji characters. RawRead/RawWrite was my very good friend. Probably re-imaged my machine every week.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

What web browser are you kids using these days? I'm on Chrome right now but switching computers. Is IE still a joke or can I get by with it without having massive security issues?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote:What web browser are you kids using these days? I'm on Chrome right now but switching computers. Is IE still a joke or can I get by with it without having massive security issues?
With my new Microsoft laptop, I used IE 11, because I was trying to be a good corporate boy and I figured all of the internal MS pages would work better. It actually worked pretty well. Most of the time. At least once a day though, whatever page I was on would just go blank. Fucking annoying.

I have otherwise used Chrome for years, but am getting sick and tired of how slow and bloated it is. It uses so much fucking memory! Even after you close the damn thing.

Like I said above, the main reason I updated to Windows 10 was so I could try out the new MS browser, Edge. I've heard good things. So far, it's worked pretty well, but it has a few UI annoyances. Those are probably just differences from Chrome that I haven't gotten used to yet though.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

How is windows 10? Are you talking to your computer with Cortana? My Windows 8 machine is ready for the update come next week and I am pretty sure I am just going to go for it.

Next Topic:
Planning on building a desktop machine for my youths. Figure it will be a good project for my son and I to take on. We live close to a Microcenter and everything I have read makes it seem pretty straight forward. Anyone have experience, words of wisdom. My plan is to go beyond budget as this may get used for some games (we don't own or plan to own a console--but my son has been programming minecraft and geeked up for Starwars Battlefront).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't tried talking to Cortana yet. I actually read an article on that on Lifehacker just this morning. I might have to give that a try.

The thing with Cortana and Windows 10 in general is that much of the benefit comes from the use across multiple platforms. Well, I only have a PC and have no plans for a Windows tablet or phone. Maybe that will change later, but not yet.

So far though, Windows 10 hasn't annoyed me yet. That's pretty good for Windows.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Another question. Anyone got a good recommendation for teaching kids to touch type? Is Mavis Beacon still the go to?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Another question. Anyone got a good recommendation for teaching kids to touch type? Is Mavis Beacon still the go to?
I think we used some online site(s). Can't remember which, but I don't think it was Mavis Beacon. There are plenty of good ones.
Totally Kafkaesque
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

I am very very impressed with Windows 10. If anyone is on the fence about whether or not to apply this, you should do it.

On my Surface the swipey stuff is a little simpler. Swipe left to right and you get the ALT+TAB open apps screen only, swipe right to left and get the Action Center, which is like a message/alert and Control Panel heads up display and thats the extent of the tablet swipey parts. Part of me misses the home button push to get back to everything but I'll get over that pretty quickly.

One drawback is the fact that I can't find RDC in the Programs list. Not good. I can still do WIN+R and type MSTSC to start that mess though.
i kind of liked how I got results right away after hitting the Windows key and typing in the Windows 7 immediate run box. That's gone now too. Wah.

I dig it though. Cortana works well, the new browser is familiar and fast and the store is easier to use because the download and install progress thing happens right in front - very much like the App Store in iOS.

Norway Computers approves!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I updated my Windows 8.1 machine to Windows 10 last night. Easy. Still getting my handle on it, but Cortana is fun. I love Virtual Desktops and glad it finally comes as part of the OS (and has easy to remember keyboard shortcuts for it).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

External drive. Thunderbolt or USB 3.0?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

P.D.X. wrote:External drive. Thunderbolt or USB 3.0?
Thunderbolt is faster, but USB 3 is substantially cheaper. Unless you're dealing with very large video files, you'll be fine getting a USB 3 drive. Just be sure your Mac has USB 3 ports. If you send me your Mac's serial number, I can look up the specs to determine how many USB 3 ports it has.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sabo wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:External drive. Thunderbolt or USB 3.0?
Thunderbolt is faster, but USB 3 is substantially cheaper. Unless you're dealing with very large video files, you'll be fine getting a USB 3 drive. Just be sure your Mac has USB 3 ports. If you send me your Mac's serial number, I can look up the specs to determine how many USB 3 ports it has.
They're listed as 3.0 in the system report so looks like I'm good. (macbook w/ retina display). Thanks.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I've got pop-up ads (as separate tabs) all over the place in Chrome all of a sudden. 3 or 4 removal tools haven't helped. Reinstalling Chrome hasn't helped. It happened during one day last week, then disappeared, then returned today. Doesn't happen in other browsers. Don't tell me to change browsers. Help.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote:I've got pop-up ads (as separate tabs) all over the place in Chrome all of a sudden. 3 or 4 removal tools haven't helped. Reinstalling Chrome hasn't helped. It happened during one day last week, then disappeared, then returned today. Doesn't happen in other browsers. Don't tell me to change browsers. Help.
Look at your extensions and see if anything fishy is in there. Happened on my home machine when I son installed some freeware thing.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've spent all day wrestling with Facebook "support" over their implementation of Open Graph tagging. Never a good sign when you have to explain to the support person you're dealing with how their product works. Serenity now!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So be careful buying non apple lightning cables. I got a two pack on groupon (with two daughters these magically disappear) and while they usually work when plugged in, they are useless for USB connection. Apparently Apple has embedded a chip in their real wires that make it so that the computer only recognizes when that chip is there. Otherwise it just disconnects constantly. And the weird part is I have a gas station one we bought in a pinch that works fine.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote:So be careful buying non apple lightning cables. I got a two pack on groupon (with two daughters these magically disappear) and while they usually work when plugged in, they are useless for USB connection. Apparently Apple has embedded a chip in their real wires that make it so that the computer only recognizes when that chip is there. Otherwise it just disconnects constantly. And the weird part is I have a gas station one we bought in a pinch that works fine.
If your experience is anything like mine, they'll stop working in two weeks anyway.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

One of the power receptor pins went bad on my wife's iPhone, and the first question the Apple Store asked was whether we were using an Apple brand charging cable.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My work laptop notified me I needed to restart in order to load a mandatory software update. We get these every week or tow, never been a problem. My computer comes back with a message saying no boot disk found. Help desk tells me to remove the DVD in the drive, and it loads up to my signin page. Mouse works, keyboard doesn't. At least the required ctrl+alt+delete does nothing. He has me reboot, I get the safe mode option page, neither normal restart or safe mode restart work. Just a blank screen.

So... How do I fix this? Am I fucked? Our helpdesk can't handle it, so I am waiting for a call from something called "Workstation." 2 or 3 times I've seen some Ginger in our office claiming to be IT, asking if we have any issues, and he once installed some program into all of our computers. Not sure if I am waiting for him to come to my office. Good thing I am working from home, but I can't get into my VPN server or access any of my files.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote:My work laptop notified me I needed to restart in order to load a mandatory software update. We get these every week or tow, never been a problem. My computer comes back with a message saying no boot disk found. Help desk tells me to remove the DVD in the drive, and it loads up to my signin page. Mouse works, keyboard doesn't. At least the required ctrl+alt+delete does nothing. He has me reboot, I get the safe mode option page, neither normal restart or safe mode restart work. Just a blank screen.

So... How do I fix this? Am I fucked? Our helpdesk can't handle it, so I am waiting for a call from something called "Workstation." 2 or 3 times I've seen some Ginger in our office claiming to be IT, asking if we have any issues, and he once installed some program into all of our computers. Not sure if I am waiting for him to come to my office. Good thing I am working from home, but I can't get into my VPN server or access any of my files.
You might have a bad hard drive. That's kind of what it sounds like. If that's so, they'll have to put in a new disk with a clean OS and then have your bad disk as the second drive. Then, you can salvage whatever you can from the old to the new.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:
The Sybian wrote:My work laptop notified me I needed to restart in order to load a mandatory software update. We get these every week or tow, never been a problem. My computer comes back with a message saying no boot disk found. Help desk tells me to remove the DVD in the drive, and it loads up to my signin page. Mouse works, keyboard doesn't. At least the required ctrl+alt+delete does nothing. He has me reboot, I get the safe mode option page, neither normal restart or safe mode restart work. Just a blank screen.

You might have a bad hard drive. That's kind of what it sounds like. If that's so, they'll have to put in a new disk with a clean OS and then have your bad disk as the second drive. Then, you can salvage whatever you can from the old to the new.
Fuck. Well that doesn't help me today. Thanks.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Your IT dept can probably glean what you need off that old drive but it sounds F'd.

WLU, how did the desktop building go?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Your IT dept can probably glean what you need off that old drive but it sounds F'd.

WLU, how did the desktop building go?
Unfortunately they are in Reno and Florida.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote: WLU, how did the desktop building go?
Fantastic. I was surprised at how easy it went. Turned on the first time I hit the power button. Really only had one question about if I could plug the case fans into another type of fan connection. Built a really nice machine and saved a ton of money. Probably overbuilt it a bit, but a great few hours working with my son and both learning some stuff.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: WLU, how did the desktop building go?
Fantastic. I was surprised at how easy it went. Turned on the first time I hit the power button. Really only had one question about if I could plug the case fans into another type of fan connection. Built a really nice machine and saved a ton of money. Probably overbuilt it a bit, but a great few hours working with my son and both learning some stuff.

I built mine 5 years ago and aside from upgrading the Video Card and adding some RAM it still runs everything. Do wish I had gotten a bigger case though. PIA to put in extra drives or fans.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Anyone ever done any App design?

Looking to create a pretty simple app to share links and general information. Won't need to be super robust, but would like to be able to send push notifications to those who have that turned on when new information gets posted. Basically it's an employee information portal but we have a lot of employees who aren't on the e-mail server, and I think an App would have better penetration/participation than an e-mail blast.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

As one of the last people who still has a desktop PC, I'm having a bitch of a time finding a computer desk with a compartment for the CPU tower. Is anyone else facing this problem, or do you have any ideas for a solution? I'd like to avoid just having the CPU out in the open, both aesthetically and for protection.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!