Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Tech Support

Post by A_B »

That’s really odd. Sounds like an install problem.

And it’s odd you’ve had so many problems. I’ve been very happy with mine over the years.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm Yet another question about my wife's new Mac.

In Microsoft Word, when she tries to print - from the menu, clicking %-P, or clicking the little icon - nothing happens. No dialog box. Nothing.

She can print from Safari, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Just not Word. We've tried restarting, but still nothing.

Any suggestions?

(BTW, I've never had as many problems with a computer in my life as I've had with this fucking $2500 Mac. Didn't Apple used to make products that just work?)
What does Print Preview show you?

Is that Office 365? Try running the updater, reboot and try again, and if that doesn’t work, just reinstall Word.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Print Preview does nothing either. It is Office 365 and it has the latest updates. I may try reinstalling Word.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sorry - I’ve changed my tune a bit. I’d uninstall Office as a whole, and then reboot. Reinstall after.

The problem with reinstalling Word only could be that the drivers didn’t load properly at the Office suite level and the individual app install bypasses it, detecting existing Office and version #.

Other reason: you can’t assume this (albeit glaring) is due is the only problem with the overall installation of the Office Suite.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I deleted the Word app and reinstalled. No luck.

I then deleted the entire Office suite, including all the folders it creates. I then reinstalled. No luck.

And there were several reboots in there.

Lastly, I tried changing which of our two printers is the default printer. That worked!

That's fucking genius, Apple.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm I deleted the Word app and reinstalled. No luck.

I then deleted the entire Office suite, including all the folders it creates. I then reinstalled. No luck.

Lastly, I tried changing which of our two printers is the default printer. That worked!

That kinda sounds like your no-longer-default printer needs to update its drivers.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm I deleted the Word app and reinstalled. No luck.

That kinda sounds like your no-longer-default printer needs to update its drivers.
Maybe, maybe not. I just added that printer like two weeks ago. Either way, it shouldn't cause Word to not be able to open the print dialog. That's ridiculous.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Maybe, maybe not. I just added that printer like two weeks ago. Either way, it shouldn't cause Word to not be able to open the print dialog. That's ridiculous.
If you don't mind me asking, what printer / version was it?
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think you're missing the point. It could be an old dot-matrix printer with a driver written in Fortran. That should have nothing to do with opening the Print dialog. The Print dialog actually gives the user the choice of picking which printer they want to use. The only time the driver should even be an issue is after the printer has been selected and the user hits the Print button on the dialog.

I understand that the driver may come into play in generating the preview shown in the dialog. But if it has a problem with the driver at that point, either don't show the preview, show a preview using a generic driver, select a different printer, etc. There are a million better ways to handle it other than never opening the dialog.

I also understand that this is likely just a bug, but it's not the kind of bug that should make it out into public.

The printer is a Brother MFC-J870DW
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm I think you're missing the point. It could be an old dot-matrix printer with a driver written in Fortran. That should have nothing to do with opening the Print dialog. The Print dialog actually gives the user the choice of picking which printer they want to use. The only time the driver should even be an issue is after the printer has been selected and the user hits the Print button on the dialog.

I understand that the driver may come into play in generating the preview shown in the dialog. But if it has a problem with the driver at that point, either don't show the preview, show a preview using a generic driver, select a different printer, etc. There are a million better ways to handle it other than never opening the dialog.

I also understand that this is likely just a bug, but it's not the kind of bug that should make it out into public.

But the print driver contains many of the options that the print dialog box shows you. You can't have a print in color options if n your printer does not support it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm I think you're missing the point. It could be an old dot-matrix printer with a driver written in Fortran. That should have nothing to do with opening the Print dialog. The Print dialog actually gives the user the choice of picking which printer they want to use. The only time the driver should even be an issue is after the printer has been selected and the user hits the Print button on the dialog.

Thanks. I wasn't able to find any issues pertaining to Word (Mac, or otherwise) pertaining to that make and model. I'm assuming you're running the latest version of OS X and there aren't any OS related updates pending and the printer's drivers were up to date as well (I'm sure you're aware that out of box is no guarantee of this).

As for the printer driver's role and/or me misunderstanding the issue: if the driver's not loading properly, you can expect all sorts of weird stuff related to printing. Particularly if you've labeled that printer as the default. That means those drivers are activated, right? At any rate, in situations like this it's nearly always the printer's fault, though the fact only Word seemed to be affected should green light you to contact Microsoft as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just bring it up at the office tomorrow.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Does anyone else have an issue where just about any page you load in the Swamp seemingly loads (i usually click on the latest post link), then frigging loads every picture/tweet and generally takes a couple of seconds to finally settle on the latest post? I dunno if it's my browser/computer/forum.

I'll hang up and listen.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 am Does anyone else have an issue where just about any page you load in the Swamp seemingly loads (i usually click on the latest post link), then frigging loads every picture/tweet and generally takes a couple of seconds to finally settle on the latest post? I dunno if it's my browser/computer/forum.

I'll hang up and listen.
yes
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo seems to have fixed my issue. As usual, a cocktail did the trick.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That only happens to me on image-intensive threads. I don't think it's our site's fault. Each of those images is coming from some other site, and some are slower than others.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So I'm looking to set up a space online for our OOTP game this year. Basically, the game exports a bunch of the game files as html that you can then post to a server for people to navigate through. Here is an example:

https://statsplus.net/blamerica/reports ... _home.html

I've never really done anything like this before, so what would you guys suggest as a solution? A web hosting service? An FTP server?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Get a cheap web site. FTP isn't what you want for that.

Here's a list of good cheap or free hosting options. I'm assuming free will include some kind of ads, but I'm not sure. http://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/free-web-hosting
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I have some space I can set aside on my Siteground hosting account..
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone ever have the problem of when you paste a template from Word into Outlook, even though you have a table centered in document, Outlook pushes it all the way to the left and if so do you know how to fix it?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:05 pm Anyone ever have the problem of when you paste a template from Word into Outlook, even though you have a table centered in document, Outlook pushes it all the way to the left and if so do you know how to fix it?
I haven’t used Outlook in a few years (though admittedly, I have it on one of my Macs), but can you get at the HTML formatting?

View > ? Perhaps?
Noli Timere Messorem
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I have no idea how to fix it, but my coworker managed to screw up a bunch of our fire department district mapping thanks to that little bug.

/cool story bro
Last edited by Moreta on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone ever done anything with Tox (python library)? How about writing Fabric files?

I got it dumped on me, in a meeting, and I said "Oh sure...I'll take care of that". Small problem...no idea about either of them.

Oh, and just for kicks...the entire Institute has been hit by a wicked computer virus. Nasty business...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Anyone use anything other than Powerpoint for presentations? My job is about 30% creating presentations for my boss and I'm either a) not using Powerpoint to its fullest extent or b) in need of something separate to design the slides.

Basically, when he gives presentations at conferences, the other slide decks look well, more professional, so I'm trying to up our game to where it's not just a standard Text box/images/etc. I've never used Powerpoint for anything other than internal things before so it wasn't a huge issue but now we need to step our game up. All suggestions welcome.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm Anyone use anything other than Powerpoint for presentations? My job is about 30% creating presentations for my boss and I'm either a) not using Powerpoint to its fullest extent or b) in need of something separate to design the slides.

Basically, when he gives presentations at conferences, the other slide decks look well, more professional, so I'm trying to up our game to where it's not just a standard Text box/images/etc. I've never used Powerpoint for anything other than internal things before so it wasn't a huge issue but now we need to step our game up. All suggestions welcome.
I've used Keynote before, but not for a few years at this point, so I'm not terribly much help. But if you have a Mac (which I thought you do?) might be worth checking out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:28 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm Anyone use anything other than Powerpoint for presentations? My job is about 30% creating presentations for my boss and I'm either a) not using Powerpoint to its fullest extent or b) in need of something separate to design the slides.

I've used Keynote before, but not for a few years at this point, so I'm not terribly much help. But if you have a Mac (which I thought you do?) might be worth checking out.
I do have a Mac, but my boss doesn't. So long as I can get it into a PDF format that might work. I haven't ever really used it much but I will see what's what.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:38 pm
brian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:28 pm

I do have a Mac, but my boss doesn't. So long as I can get it into a PDF format that might work. I haven't ever really used it much but I will see what's what.
I found it easier to use or more intuitive at least than PowerPoint, but I've been a Mac guy my entire life and I have an unbelievable loathing for PowerPoint, so again...not the most unbiased resource.

That said, I'm not a big fan of any of the presentation software (I've also used Google Slides before, which comes with our enterprise license with Google, but that's probably even worse than PowerPoint IMO.)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Visme blows Powerpoint out of the water, IMO.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:57 pm

Visme blows Powerpoint out of the water, IMO.
I've looked at a couple of online ones but not that one. Looks good, not sure how he feels about moving to something like that. He is pretty tech forward, though. Looks like it is downloadable too. I may give that a whirl, thanks.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also don't blame the tool....there are ways to use powerpoint to do awesome stuff.
https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-make-m ... -507552122

Also Microsoft has a competitor for powerpoint that is supposed to be good for this type of thing.
https://sway.com/
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

OH, I'm totally a big part of the problem. It's just never been a software I had to use very often so I'm further behind in the learning curve than the other Office Applications. I'm sure I can do things to make it better, and it looks like I am about to have a decent bit of time to work on it instead of juggling a bunch of different projects. So hopefully I can come up with something good.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm OH, I'm totally a big part of the problem. It's just never been a software I had to use very often so I'm further behind in the learning curve than the other Office Applications. I'm sure I can do things to make it better, and it looks like I am about to have a decent bit of time to work on it instead of juggling a bunch of different projects. So hopefully I can come up with something good.
Set yourself up a nice legend that can be applied across projects. Infuse it into a series of different templates you’ve selected, and then you’re setting yourself up for success.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m in a two day conference with an abundance of PowerPoints. Holy shit I’m easily the best one. Some of these are sad. The best one is a guy whose charts are all linked to his local computer and won’t show up right from the memory stick.

One guy had a whole pep talk he thought up typed out. Then of course he read the whole Thing. It was easily 400 words on a screen.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And of course guess whose videos fucked up durinb he presentTion. Fuck me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Looks like I'm going all in on Keynote. Boss was really happy with the demo I made and he uses his iPad more than his computer when traveling and he can edit on there if he needs to do so.

But if you don't have a mac, that visme site was pretty good, too. Would be good for kids to school presentations with, I think.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Can I post a Quick Time clip on here?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:37 pm Can I post a Quick Time clip on here?
Probably not. Though you could likely create a YouTube account or something similar, upload to that and then just post the YouTube link.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Imgur/vreddit is probably easier to post and doesn't include creating an account.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 pm Imgur/vreddit is probably easier to post and doesn't include creating an account.
If you can post here directly from Imgur absolutely. I'm not sure that's possible either though.