Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by Johnnie »

Ehh. Missed the deal, but I'm going to get it anyway. Should I use the BitCoin stuff people talk about to keep it more anonymous? I read it doesn't work anyway.

So I'm guessing Google Wallet or PayPal is the best way to pay for it?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If any of you are Chrome surfers I just noticed that when Chrome was open it was sucking up the majority of my CPU. I uninstalled, cleared my cache and registry with CCcleaner and reinstalled. Now it's back down to only taking a few percent of the processor.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone is noticing similar problems.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Rush2112 wrote:If any of you are Chrome surfers I just noticed that when Chrome was open it was sucking up the majority of my CPU. I uninstalled, cleared my cache and registry with CCcleaner and reinstalled. Now it's back down to only taking a few percent of the processor.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone is noticing similar problems.
May not have been Chrome specifically using those resources. Might have been something more sinister using whichever browser program was open to channel/stream/phish/seed/upload?

Ive been using Chrome for a long long time and may have visited some sketchy sites but have never had it cause a resource drain. I'd Mbam/ComboFix that thing if I were you.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

No other browser was using those resources, no malware found with a scan, and from a bit of research I did it is more common than I'm sure Google would like.

Denis wrote:
May not have been Chrome specifically using those resources. Might have been something more sinister using whichever browser program was open to channel/stream/phish/seed/upload?

Ive been using Chrome for a long long time and may have visited some sketchy sites but have never had it cause a resource drain. I'd Mbam/ComboFix that thing if I were you.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've had Chrome eat up my CPU a lot recently. In particular, my Google Calendar tab has gone nuts several times since I've been here in the UK. Not sure if it's Chrome's fault or Calendar's fault. Either way, I guess that something is wrong with their handling of my changing time zones.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

And disable "GoogleUpdater.exe". That bitch runs, literally, around the clock if you don't turn it off.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So, what's the best MP3 player? iPod Touch? I'm looking for a large (32 or 64 GB) MP3 player that's preferably not Apple (hopefully one of the "plug-and-play, drag-and-drop, you don't need to install software for this" variety). Is there anything else worth getting?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I have three iPods*. The largest is 80 GB. Y'know why I like them? They are warriors. They've been dropped, kicked, pawed, lost, found, left in a hot car, you name it, and they still perform flawlessly. I've never once even had to reset one of them to factory defaults. Ooh-rah.

Whatever you do, don't get anything from Zen.

The 6th generation of iPod Classic was probably the best. That seems to have been replaced by the 5th generation of iPod Touch (which has less capacity).

I don't like devices to do anything more than they were meant to. I want an iPod to play music. I want my phone to make calls. I don't want them the have a GPS, Camera, iBlah, iYada, iYawn.

* didn't actually buy any of them.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ya know. It didn't even dawn on me to just get a regular iPod and not the Touch or whathaveyou. I just want it to play music. And getting a Classic means more storage space too. Seeing as how I just purchased a new Alpine head unit for my Jeep and it has iPod control interface (along with bluetooth & Pandora, if I so choose), it seems best to stick with, say the new 7th Gen 180GB iPod for $229. (Best Buy has it at $245, all things considered.)

Seems like a great deal considering 6th gens are more expensive (on Amazon) and not purchasable. However, I will be checking out the BX today to see how the price compares. Thanks, Scottie.

Now onto another question: who from the Swamp wants to give me their local cable company User Name & Password so I can watch ESPN on my WatchESPN app? Anyone? $1,000 Swamp bucks to you!
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

I'm looking for a cell phone for my mom who is 84. Has to have large numbers, minimal features and be cheap. She has a knack for losing cell phones.

My gut tells me to go the tracphone route as those are cheap and disposable. Mom doesn't like this idea, maybe the idea of changing numbers seems like too much trouble.

She's on my brother's family plan with Verizon where you can get phones for nothing if you agree to a 2 year plan but signing on for 2 years seems like a lot of commitment for something she may lose.

Any ideas on where to get cheap phones? Tiger Direct has inexpensive unlocked phones but I have no idea what that means.

My gut tells me that if Verizon is willing to give the things away if you sign on for two years but charges you $200 if you buy it without a plan that there's got to be some sort of happy medium. After all, the things are about $0.50 of glass, plastic and metal. Oh, and also the lives of a few Congolese children.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

We've got three tracfones and have used them for years with considerable success. Including phones, my guess is that they cost us about $100-150 per year for each one. I believe they have a phone that is simple and has large keys. Not sure though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here's a new one: I have an iPhone 4S, and when I hook it up to my Mac so I can load some new music on it, I run into a problem. I load the album onto the phone doing the "drag and drop" thing, and iTunes says "Updating Files on Dave's iPhone", and gets stuck there. And then I look under "music" on the iPhone, and the new songs are there, but they are grayed out, with an empty circle icon next to them.

Any ideas on what the issue is? I've hunted around on google, but haven't found an explanation yet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Have you played the files on your computer to make sure you are authenticated?

I had a problem where some songs I got from a friend weren't authorized on my account.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

AB_skin_test wrote:Have you played the files on your computer to make sure you are authenticated?

I had a problem where some songs I got from a friend weren't authorized on my account.
Yeah, I did. I bought the remastered version of The Band's "Rock of Ages" through iTunes a few days ago, and can't transfer it to my iPhone now.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I have some dust built up inside my computer. Can I just stick a vaccuum hose in there and suck it out or do I need to be concerned about prying something loose?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

vandwagon wrote:I have some dust built up inside my computer. Can I just stick a vaccuum hose in there and suck it out or do I need to be concerned about prying something loose?
Use compressed air instead. Using a home vacuum can generate too much vacuum and can damage components like capacitors on the logic board. Also, it can generate a bunch static electricity which could fry components.

http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-how- ... -keyboard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Sabo wrote:
vandwagon wrote:I have some dust built up inside my computer. Can I just stick a vaccuum hose in there and suck it out or do I need to be concerned about prying something loose?
Use compressed air instead. Using a home vacuum can generate too much vacuum and can damage components like capacitors on the logic board. Also, it can generate a bunch static electricity which could fry components.

http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-how- ... -keyboard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I figured that wasn't the best course of action. Thanks.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

I have Windows XP. How do I check what is in my RAM, and how much room I have there?
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You can't really check room on RAM since it is effectively temporary memory storage. You can go to your Task Manager (right-click on an empty space on the task-bar, go to Task Manager) and observe how much you are using at a particular time.

To find out how much RAM you have, etc: on your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press the Pause/Break key. The System will display its contents there.

To check hard drive space, open My Computer (File Manager, Windows Explorer, whatever) and right-click on your "C:" drive and select "properties". You'll get the stats and a cute little pie chart showing you how much you're using.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Thanks Scottie. My computer has been really slow, lately, and I am trying to figure out the culprit.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Standard questions:
- Do you have CCLeaner?
- Have you run any anti-spyware scans lately? (Malwarebytes, Super anti-spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy)

Also, go to your Task Manager. Look at the Processes tab. See if there is anything unusual running there. Or see if there is anything using a staggeringly big amount of your machine's brains.

Also also: Have a look at when you last used the Disc Defragmenter. If it's been a while, give 'er a run. And make sure that you are not connected to the internet when running any anti-spyware or anti-virus scans.

Also also also: click Start > Run. Type in "msconfig" and go to the startup tab. Have a look at what is automatically starting up when you boot the machine. If there is anything untoward in there, uncheck it.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Thanks. Will do.

iexplore.exe is the largest, by far, at 920,920k. The rest are small.

I ran malbytes earlier, and found 25, and deleted them.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

CCleaner shows 1221 errors. They wil fix 15 for free. I need to buy the product for the rest. Good idea?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

HDO45331 wrote:Thanks. Will do.

iexplore.exe is the largest, by far, at 920,920k. The rest are small.

I ran malbytes earlier, and found 25, and deleted them.

Malwarebytes
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

920,920k is insanely huge for Internet Explorer to be running.

Did you be sure to download the FREE versions of CCleaner & Malwarebytes? Not the trial versions. (I should have specified)

I can't tell if you should be cleaning up particular things without seeing the program's scan log. But it certainly sounds like you have caught some sort of browser infection.

Try running this, too: HijackThis. After you run it, you will get a text log of everything HIjackThis finds. You can either PM it to me or post it here if you want everyone else to chip in, eh.
elflaco
Brandt

ICE MONEY PAK SCAM

Post by elflaco »

logged in this morning, had a java update flashing on the TZ laptop..clicked on that... 60 seconds later, screen is frozen... moneypak scam from ICE...

from research on my laptop, seems this is a nasty malware...

but not sure how to remove it.

laptop currently on safe mode, if i turn on the wi-fi connection, a countdown starts, and 60 seconds later the ICE screen comes back and freezes everything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

Update:
so did a system restore while in safe mode,
installed malware bytes from USB, ran the scan, nothing found.
rebooted, turned on wi-fi, updated email to outlook
updated malwarebytes db, found one object so far....
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Click on the Start button, then Run. In the command box that appears type "msconfig" then hit Enter key or click OK button.

Look for a tab up top labeled Startup, hit it then deselect every checked item. Close 'msconfig' and choose to restart immediately when it prompts you to.

After the computer restarts update your antivirus software and definitions fully, then run a full scan, restart, then run Malwarebytes (free version is sufficient, same definitions as the full bloaty version), restart.

If it's still crummy after the two cycles, write back.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

seems all good now.

tks!

i'll surf safer pron.. i mean java..
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

For what it's worth, 'computers other than mine that I have worked on' have run through some of the sheistiest web sites in pron universe. I have been using Avira Free for about five years and have NEVER had a single infection. I cannot recommend that stuff more highly.

I think I gave that away pretty easily. Sorry Jesus.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've had this installed for years on the home computer and it's just been updated and improved.

Flux changes the brightness of your screen to match the ambient lighting so that staring at the Swamp all day doesn't hurt the F out your eyes.

http://justgetflux.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK,

For someone who has been grossly negligent about antivirus and the like, my computer still runs, but it ain't great. What is a good place to start as far as trying to clean this thing up a little bit? Sounds like MalwareBytes and a few others are the way to go. This thing needs a good scrubbing.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:OK,
Sounds like MalwareBytes and a few others are the way to go. This thing needs a good scrubbing.
and CCleaner. I've also been pleased with Microsoft Security Essentials. Very good for the price (free.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote:
Sounds like MalwareBytes and a few others are the way to go. This thing needs a good scrubbing.
and CCleaner. I've also been pleased with Microsoft Security Essentials. Very good for the price (free.)
Although Microsoft has backed off on investment in Security Essentials. Read this.
http://www.itworld.com/consumerization- ... ding-micro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess Avast is the current leader of the pack.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Although Microsoft has backed off on investment in Security Essentials. Read this.
http://www.itworld.com/consumerization- ... ding-micro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess Avast is the current leader of the pack.
I should note I'm gonna need a lot of this in Captain dummy-talk, Kaylee.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I guess Avast is the current leader of the pack.
I had Avast a couple of versions ago, was a pain in the ass. I don't want to know I have Antivirus unless I tell it to scan.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:I should note I'm gonna need a lot of this in Captain dummy-talk, Kaylee.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Install/update/run

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Install run cleaner/registry cleaner/look through the installed/startup programs. Ask if you don't know what it is

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Safe to install all this now? Should I download to a USB, boot into safe mode, install and run? Overwhelming to a pleeb like me.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:Safe to install all this now? Should I download to a USB, boot into safe mode, install and run? Overwhelming to a pleeb like me.
Unless you have something really nasty you shouldn't have to go to safe mode.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Run them one at a time. Start with CCleaner. When running any anti-spyware and/or anti-virus programs, make sure you are not connected to the Internet.

ETA: You can be connected to the Internet when running CCleaner (which you should run regularly; I use it at least a couple of times per day. It runs in mere seconds.)