Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by Ryan »

On the casting thing, I stumbled into the fact that our Win10 laptop and Samsung TV natively talk to each other without any peripherals. We have ClickShare in our conference room too and its pretty reliable
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:53 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:04 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pmThe Beach Boys are better than the beatles.
Convince me on this one. I'm a blank slate.
In short, he's full of shit. You don't have to be a Beatles fanboy or a Beachboys hater to recognize that the Beatles were objectively better, and infinitely more influential.
In shorter, fuck off?

(I'll grant the second point(whether they should be is another question of course), but the first is objectively impossible to say about an opinion.)

Seriously, I was joking at BSF's wording. What the hell, man?
I'm sorry I upset you. I was also just fucking around, having a bit of fun with it.
No worries. I’m on edge lately. Lots of shizz. It’s cool!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pmThe Beach Boys are better than the beatles.
Convince me on this one. I'm a blank slate.
The defense rests.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Does anyone know of a good (free) way to save a web page as PDF? I'm currently working on a help library that has all of the documents posted as HTML pages on a site. The site is going away a soon and I want to make sure that all of the documents are saved. Copy & Paste is too tedious since the images cannot be copied with the text. Ideally i would be able to limit what on the page gets saved but can deal if it has to be the entire page. I'm doing this in Chrome.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:51 pm Does anyone know of a good (free) way to save a web page as PDF? I'm currently working on a help library that has all of the documents posted as HTML pages on a site. The site is going away a soon and I want to make sure that all of the documents are saved. Copy & Paste is too tedious since the images cannot be copied with the text. Ideally i would be able to limit what on the page gets saved but can deal if it has to be the entire page. I'm doing this in Chrome.
Most modern OS's should allow you to print and save as PDF. I've included a screenshot of Chrome for Mac where you can see where you would define that.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of course, you have to do it each time for individual page but it sounds like you were ready to do that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There is a way to save all subpages I believe. And it’s been discussed here but I can’t search for shit on my phone. I did it once and don’t think I had to pay for anything. Something like “save complete” and then print that file to pdf.

Edit: I actually think I had to do it through acrobat now that I think about it and not through the browser. But there was an option to save multiple levels. If you want I can do th at but it may be tomorrow before I’m around my computer.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ok....here's one for any of you MacBook types out there. Sometimes, my pointer will 'disappear' and I won't be able to find it. I can see it highlighting items, but no arrow. Only solution is to close the laptop, and then open it up again. Seems to happen most often when watching YouTube.TV or using Slack.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same thing is happening to me, I just get it around the upper left and alt+tab or whatever the Mac equivalent is and it comes back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about the print straight to PDF...I think that will do. It's not ideal in terms of how it looks but it should get the job done.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Any rec's for a no-brainer, cloud-based, back-up solution for a Mac-based single user?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 pm Any rec's for a no-brainer, cloud-based, back-up solution for a Mac-based single user?
I use backblaze. I think the basic plan is 50 a year.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK guys. We pulled hte trigger on some new hardware but I have more questions now and I'd rather deal with you guys than some numbnuts at best buy.

We purchased some new Surface 7 Pros to function as our new laptop/travel computers. We've got an appointment on Friday to set up MS Office and a OneDrive so we can save our work files in a cloud based system that our 2 and soon to be 3 employees can save to, keeping all of our work files in a place where we can all access them for overlap. So Question 1 is, is this the simplest way to do this or am I going to get ripped off at the MS Store getting sold a whole bunch of shit I don't need?

Question 2 is on wireless screen share. We now need 2 new monitors for the the new Surface tablets. The idea would be that when you're in the office, you've got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and can screenshare the surface pro to a monitor (or TV?) and use it while in office without having to hook up an HDMI/USB connection. Is there a simple monitor/TV that can handle this like what I assume they use in my tax guy's office where he just turns the TV on his wall on and can screen share his computer monitor? Windows Key + P I believe is the command? Any guidance here so I don't end up spending a fortune on a couple of monitors so the old man and myself don't have to work on a 13" screen when were in the office?

TIA gents.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Do you need MS? Google Drive and office apps can do the same thing. Not sure about cost difference.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think if you’re used to office it’s worth the cost. One drive is fine based on my experience. I know nothing about screens.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You need a Miracast compatible TV/monitor to screen share or an older one and a Chromecast or other similar device. Some brands have different names but it's the same protocol. I believe Samsung is branded as "AllShare" etc.

In Win 10 you cast by going Start -> Settings -> Devices -> Connected Devices and selecting the monitor/TV/device and voila.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:18 pm I think if you’re used to office it’s worth the cost. One drive is fine based on my experience. I know nothing about screens.
I agree with this. I use Gmail and Google products for my personal account, and when we opened our new firm, I thought I'd move us to G suite, where we'd been Office users. I don't like G suite nearly as much as I thought I would for work tasks. Switching back soon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....anyone have any experience with OpenAPI?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:44 pm So....anyone have any experience with OpenAPI?
Yes, but not much hands-on experience. I had my team implement to document our APIs at my last job. And we used it as well (when it was known as Swagger) at the previous job.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My team is using it also
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Haven't done much work with it other than trying to get vendors and internal teams to follow it. We found that many api's that have swagger front ends don't work when we try to consume them with OpenAPI libraries.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've already got a TON of api's written...and now I'm supposed to use OpenAPI with them, and I'm not really understanding (after a solid couple of hours on the old Google machine) how that is supposed to go.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK a dumb and not necessarily tech question but I figured I'd pick a brain or two.

I've got about 90 customers in my territory that I manage and I'm looking for a template to keep track of these guys. In the past I've used Excel in a kind of half ass way but it's really not working and I'd like a place to make notes on staff (which often changes in this field) in addition to the usuals, address, previous sales, products used, etc. Anybody kinda get the idea of what I'm after and have any suggestions of software or a better way to do this other than a Word Doc for every location that I have to print every time something at a location changes or a half assed Excel doc? I've done some hunting and I'm not seeing anything I like yet.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This actually is a pretty good use for cloze. I think there is a free version to try out. And if you do upgrade it unlocks things like call tracking. Cloze ended up not being what we needed but looks like it might work for you. Even if you do a paid plan it is inexpensive.

The best feature I found in cloze was the morning email that told you when you havent reached out to someone in a bit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 am This actually is a pretty good use for cloze. I think there is a free version to try out. And if you do upgrade it unlocks things like call tracking. Cloze ended up not being what we needed but looks like it might work for you. Even if you do a paid plan it is inexpensive.

The best feature I found in cloze was the morning email that told you when you havent reached out to someone in a bit.
Yeah, I don't know about Cloze though I imagine it's probably fine for what you want. There are actually quite a few free CRM solutions out there that for your relatively simple needs should never need to worry about having to actually license the software. Another one is Hubspot (which we use the Enterprise solution for, but I've heard the free version works great).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 am
A_B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 am This actually is a pretty good use for cloze. I think there is a free version to try out. And if you do upgrade it unlocks things like call tracking. Cloze ended up not being what we needed but looks like it might work for you. Even if you do a paid plan it is inexpensive.

Yeah, I don't know about Cloze though I imagine it's probably fine for what you want. There are actually quite a few free CRM solutions out there that for your relatively simple needs should never need to worry about having to actually license the software. Another one is Hubspot (which we use the Enterprise solution for, but I've heard the free version works great).
Is that the preferred nomenclature here? Customer Relationship Management?

I'm not loving that Cloze platform.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 am
brian wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 am

Is that the preferred nomenclature here? Customer Relationship Management?

I'm not loving that Cloze platform.
I think it sounds like what you're looking for, yeah. Keep in mind there are probably about at least four or five decent free solutions for the relatively small number of accounts you're trying to track. Most CRMs actually encourage the free solutions because they're hoping to eventually hook you with the paid versions, but I doubt you'd ever get to the point where you'd even need to worry about that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Don't even try to salesforce demo. They WILL NOT stop calling you.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:11 pm Don't even try to salesforce demo. They WILL NOT stop calling you.
Agreed. Stay well away from Salesforce.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm running in to the same problem I always do here. All of these solutions are corporately scaled and super techy. I don't need 10,000ft synergy social media connected sales integration. I need to be better a formatting documents that make it easy to keep track of 4-10 guys working at 90 locations that I want to keep tabs on. Everything else is so far above my head. I'm just tired of working off of a stack of index cards, but it doesn't mean I want to build my own ap.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Salesforce is the 900-pound gorilla in the spaces, but it's probably overkill for your needs. But maybe not. It's a tool that damn near every company of reasonable size and up uses. The sales & marketing folks liked Hubspot at my last little company.

I think your best bet is to look for a good commercial product (like Hubspot) with a free tier. This is the kind of software that can make you money, so you should be willing to spend a little money on it if it works for you.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm I'm running in to the same problem I always do here. All of these solutions are corporately scaled and super techy. I don't need 10,000ft synergy social media connected sales integration. I need to be better a formatting documents that make it easy to keep track of 4-10 guys working at 90 locations that I want to keep tabs on. Everything else is so far above my head. I'm just tired of working off of a stack of index cards, but it doesn't mean I want to build my own ap.
So I've gotten almost nowhere with this yet but I did sign up for HubSpot. It's so overwhelming but I came up with an idea and a way I'd like to try to do this so I have 2 more questions for you tech types out there.

1) I run EVERYTHING in my life (business and personal) from my gmail account. I have had several companies I do business with change names over the years and leave emails behind, which constantly crop up in my gmail autocompletes and contacts. So question #1: Is there a way I can nuke my gmail contacts and start saving them all over again from today being Day Zero? I can get by and find the email addresses I need and cull more as I receive emails, and this time keep a better track of my contacts list and manage that month to month instead of 5 years to 5 years.

which leads to question...

2) I am an Iphone user and all of my contacts in there seem to be inexorably linked to things that gmail has pulled out and in and on and on and on. It has also taken to saving certain contacts, sometimes 3 times over under an email and a phone and a work phone, etc. I know there's a way to link these but instead, I'm considering just manually writing down the personal numbers I need (maybe 50?) and then hoping there's a way to factory reset the contacts list so I can also start over from scratch and when I do....

This will enable me to link the CRM to the 2 devices and run a seamless transition. As it stands right now I'm terrified to import or link my accounts to anything I have because it's so muddled it'll take longer to go line by line an delete duplicates and old stuff than it will to just start over.

Any thoughts? This is all very overwhelming for someone with no background other than being a dumb sales guy.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If you can figure either of those two out, you'll be a trillionaire.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

1. Get yourself a separate business and personal email account. Today. Don't mix those. Either spend a small amount to get a proper business email (e.g. your own domain like bigdaddy@bsf.com) or at least create a separate gmail.com address. It's free!

2. For contacts, you can manage them - remove ones you don't want, merge duplicates, etc. - in gmail in a browser. I find it easier to clean it up in there than on my phone. It should then sync back and get your phone cleaned up.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Per Shirley's advice: https://contacts.google.com/

Log in and it will list all of your contacts, to delete and sort. You can tag them to group them then export your sales contacts and then import them into your sales email contact list.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm 1. Get yourself a separate business and personal email account. Today. Don't mix those. Either spend a small amount to get a proper business email (e.g. your own domain like bigdaddy@bsf.com) or at least create a separate gmail.com address. It's free!

2. For contacts, you can manage them - remove ones you don't want, merge duplicates, etc. - in gmail in a browser. I find it easier to clean it up in there than on my phone. It should then sync back and get your phone cleaned up.
So I have a domain, but the problem is now I've been in business for 9 years over 5+ states. My email is kind of out of the bag at this point to go to an @rjmsales.net address. It's on all my business cards, on promotional material I give out, etc.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Then, this is what I'd do:

1. Go ahead and make a new business email with your custom domain. That's just a good practice. You'll look way more professional. Put the new email address wherever you can and order yourself some new business cards. I don't know what you do for a living, but I know what I'm looking to hire folks to do various things, I'm suspicious of anyone who is using a gmail.com, aol.com, yahoo.com, etc. domain. It makes it look like this is just a side gig for you.

2. Create a new personal gmail.com email address that you start using for your personal life. As The Offspring once said, You gotta keep 'em separated. Let friends and family know to use your new email as much as possible.

3. For a while - maybe a long while - you're gonna now have two business emails. Ideally, you'd want your old gmail email to auto forward to your new work email. That way if folks email that one, you can reply via the new email. Most will catch on and start using the new address. I haven't done this with gmail before, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. In fact, it might be easiest to use Google to handle your new work email (step 1), but I don't know how much that would cost.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Step 3 can definitely be done pretty easy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.