Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by BSF21 »

Yea...CCleaner is taking....a long...time...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

That's because you are running it for the first time. It may even stop responding. If it does stop responding, just close it and fire it up again. Don't worry, it is a common occurrence on an initial run because there are probably a guhzillion temporary files in browser and OS caches.

Once you get past the first huge clean-out, it will run a full clean in mere seconds.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Yep. Exactly that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Any idea how to strip the audio from a lengthy YouTube video?

This: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...is three hours long (I'll embed it below). I'd like to make an MP3 or MP4 out of it, something to drop on an iPod or disc. The online converters have typically a 20-minute limit or so.

Anyone?

Spoiler: Boxscore
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Wow. Bronto, THANK YOU! That's brilliant. Nice 128kbps MP3. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Scottie wrote:Wow. Bronto, THANK YOU! That's brilliant. Nice 128kbps MP3. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
full circle: see above
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seems much easier than my 'download as a .flv using DownloadHelper' and then 'convert to .mp3' using "Free FLV Converter" method.

Off to downloading some workout mixes...
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Can any of you recommend a program or process of extracting email addresses from .pst files?

I'm not looking to export contacts from a "Contacts" folder, but rather looking to identify any email address located in any to/from/cc field in an entire archive.
mini puke to 1,558
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

kranepool wrote:Can any of you recommend a program or process of extracting email addresses from .pst files?

I'm not looking to export contacts from a "Contacts" folder, but rather looking to identify any email address located in any to/from/cc field in an entire archive.
Seems like there are a bunch of ways to do that.
http://bit.ly/1d9VmnH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

I've found $50 solutions and extinct web sites. Was hoping for something a little more practical. I thought there used to be a way to copy/paste to txt, or export headers to txt or csv, but I don't see those options in Outlook 2013.
mini puke to 1,558
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Damn wlu, that was cold.

Does this help?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Gonna give that a shot first thing tomorrow, thanks!
mini puke to 1,558
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

It worked perfectly, thanks rass!
mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

OK, this is odd.

First, I disconnect my modem/router (a Speedport LTE II -- Seen here) when I'm not at home because I have a capped amount of data I can use per month because not every village in Germany is lined for DSL/Cable.

So when I came home from work yesterday I plugged it in and started using wi-fi on my phone. All good, no issue. However, when I went to connect my main desktop as I usually do, I got nothing. Odd. I reset my computer. I reset the modem. Did that again and again and by some stroke of luck the wireless card in my desktop recognized it. The connection was "limited" and I ran the quick check and "repaired" the connection. It fixed. I figure my VPN auto started after the reset and tripped something up. But no it wasn't that. Seemed really weird, but it was working and I used it for a bit. I then disconnected my desktop before bed but left my cell phone connected throughout the night.

I came back after being out all day and played the same game. Connected router/modem, cell phone connects, desktop doesn't recognize the network name. WTF? I thought I fixed that. It recognizes another wi-fi signal. It recognizes my TV wi-fi name. It recognizes my tethered hotspot via my cell phone. It will not recognize the usual network.

I'm at a loss. Command prompt shenanigans don't work. Uninstalling/Reinstalling drivers don't work. It has to be a hardware issue, right? The card is messed up and not recognizing the frequency, right?

Here are some pics of what I'm seeing:

Cell phone recognizes and has a strong connection to the network:

Desktop recognizes other wireless connections except the one you see in the above photo:

Desktop recognizes the network via a hardline connection:

Desktop recognizes the tethered/hotspot name of my cell phone:

So what the fuck is going on here? Something's not working somewhere. And it was all good 2 days ago. I haven't done a system rollback yet, but I don't think it will work because after lots of googling it didn't work for anyone else.

Does anyone have any ideas?
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I'm not entirely sure this is related, but ever since installing my VPN (which I also auto-start), my Chrome settings occasionally get tweaked to connect via proxy, which shuts off all internet connectivity on startup.

To fix, in Chrome I go to

settings > show advanced settings > change proxy settings > connections tab > lan settings > uncheck "use a proxy server for your lan" > ok > ok

This fixes my startup connectivity issue.
mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll look into that. Thanks.

But then here's the thing....it randomly worked today and I'm using wi-fi right now. I don't get it.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Hola, amigos! Its been a long time since I rapped at you.

I really need to scrap Verizon and find another alternative. For unlimited talk and text and 2gb of data I am being charged $125 a month for an IPhone 4S. Its hilarious listening to their customer service fumble their sales pitch through justifying why they cost so much more than their nearest competitor. They don't even buy what they are selling.

I don't make many phone calls but would like to be able to stream movies on my laptop as I don't have an internet connection at my apartment. If that's not cost effective I can do without that but would like a cheap and effective hotspot.

It seems as though I would be better served by switching to a prepaid plan but I'm not sure which ones are better than others.

Any ideas?

Jim Anchower
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My buddy does the T-Mobile $30 a month dealio with 100 minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data. The first 5GB is unlimited LTE, everything after that is restricted to 3G but they don't cut or stop your service.

But streaming movies to your laptop via a tethered hotspot? That'll draw some serious data. You'll burn through the 5 GB LTE, but 3G should hold up for that. Google around and verify that what I say is still being offered and that 3G is truly unlimited and never cut off.

If I were in the states I'd be all over it. Couple with an unlocked phone -- like say the new Google Nexus 5 -- and you're golden.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sup pissguzzlers, not really tech support but close enough and I don't want to start a new thread.

I have three sucky old flat screen monitors that don't work. I read about recycling, but I don't like in a bustling area. I live in a retirement area. Our Best Buy is like 40 minutes away.

Can I just throw these bitches away?

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A lot of cities have recycling programs that include electronics. Looks like there's a facility in Naples.

http://www.colliergov.net/index.aspx?page=2752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Awesome. Thanks sabes
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have finally had it with my piece of crap Lexmark 901 printer.

I could make a list of the hell that this thing has put me through, but I don't want to ruin your Saturdays.

Question: Can anyone recommend a good printer? Fairly basic needs, but I print a lot of documents. Decent colour printing if possible - looking to keep the price below $250.

Much obliged.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Pruitt wrote:Question: Can anyone recommend a good printer? Fairly basic needs, but I print a lot of documents. Decent colour printing if possible - looking to keep the price below $250.
Consumer Reports' recommended printers and prices

I have the HP color laser printer, and can't say enough good things about it. My only gripe is the price of replacement ink cartridges.
mini puke to 1,558
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Whatever you do, don't buy an HP Envy all-in-one printer. I'm tempted to go all Office Space on the piece of shit I have on my desk.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The last two HP all-in-ones I've bought, I've tossed to the curb, literally. My latest HP color laser is acting weird and I was bitching about having to replace it. Then I realized it is six years old; the previous one lasted about eight. Not bad life for this day and age.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I've surely owned at least 20 since the late 90s. And I can honestly say, whether HP or Epson or Dell or whatever, I've never owned one I'd recommend to anyone. They all suck.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

What Scottie said.

I own a higher-end Canon Pixma that is dreadfully slow. Almost two minutes of initializing, calibrating, clicking, grinding, printhead movement, more calibrating, clicking, grinding. Soooo annoying.

They all print and scan well enough I guess. I've worked with them all, Brother printers seem to be the easiest to install. Whatever you choose BE ABSOLUTELY SURE you choose the "Custom" option when installing the printers software, especially with HP and Epson. They bundle SO MUCH extra bloat software, it's laughable.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Lexmark is sending me a replacement printer.

Kind of like the old joke: "That restaurant was terrible... and such small portions."

So I hate the printer, but I'm getting a free one. From what Ive just read, it isn;t the only piece of junk out there.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Windows experts - I've got an application somewhere calling home every now and again, which would be ok if I lived in Romania. I can't for the life of me figure out which app it is. Malwarebytes catches about one or two attempts per day, and I get the following pop-up:

Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website: 93.114.44.187 (or 93.114.43.244, or others).

I'm running Windows 8.1, and I use Malwarebytes Pro and Avast. I also force a VPN connection, usually to a location in the Eastern US.

On my Mac, I could run LittleSnitch and probably identify it immediately. But what's the best alternative on Windows? TCPView ain't cutting it.

If worse comes to worse, I'll just wipe everything and start over, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Thanks!
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Try Hijack This: http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Hi ... 27353.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But first . . . look at your running processes (right click on empty space in taskbar, select "task manager", go to processes) and see what is running there. Could be obvious. Also: Start > Run > type "msconfig". Go there and see if anything fucky is running itself on startup. There's a "Start Up" tab that lists everything that fires on boot. Uncheck anything you don't need. You'll typically find a bunch of Apple and Adobe crap in there as well.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From Googling that Romania IP it looks like a typical problem. PIA has Romania as an option for IP stuff so it's possible that your anti-virus is showing a false positive because PIA might be trying to erroneously use Romania.

But I'm no computer doctor.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:From Googling that Romania IP it looks like a typical problem. PIA has Romania as an option for IP stuff so it's possible that your anti-virus is showing a false positive because PIA might be trying to erroneously use Romania.

Have you traced the IP address? It's an anonymous proxy.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Johnnie wrote:From Googling that Romania IP it looks like a typical problem. PIA has Romania as an option for IP stuff so it's possible that your anti-virus is showing a false positive because PIA might be trying to erroneously use Romania.

I thought about that, but I don't think that's it because my homepage is whatismyip.com, and 100% of the time on startup it's not-Romania.

But thank you both.
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Until you figure out what program is triggering it, add that IP to your HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 93.114.44.187
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I would think that Windows Firewall would work to both block that outgoing IP and log which process tried to hit it. I assume windows 8.1 includes the firewall, right?
Totally Kafkaesque
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Yes.

I enabled firewall logging (the default is disabled), and see two entries:

2014-01-11 11:46:00 DROP TCP 10.0.0.2 93.115.84.125 49219 8888 0 - 0 0 0 - - - SEND

and

2014-01-11 12:05:51 DROP TCP 10.0.0.2 93.115.84.202 49220 8888 0 - 0 0 0 - - - SEND

Of course, this means nothing to me. Isn't 8888 Google?
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

kranepool wrote:Isn't 8888 Google?
No. It's a port. And it's a port used by a lot of gaming software, streaming services, virtualization managers and, unfortunately, it is a port used by a lot of trojans. Among other things.

Look up "port" and "port 8888" to get a better feel for what it is/does.

ETA: You surely know this but 10.0.0.2 is a router's address. The default address for routers is usually 192.168.0.1 but you see 10.0.0.1 (can also be configured as 10.0.0.2) as network pieces all the time.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

You were each right. Thanks! (my VPN is PIA)
Rubyw.exe and variants thereof are created by PrivateInternetAccess. I use PrivateInternetAccess. Here is their explanation:

"To further follow-up on our last reply to you, what your program is detecting is called rubyw.exe. This is the process that executes all the ruby scripting in our application, that allows it to run. However, we designed it to install to a randomized temporary directory on each launch, along with a randomized filename, to ensure no one can locate it, and thus crack it (while it's running, it contains your login information and binds your local IP, which would be a major security risk if it became visible externally; thus why we randomize it's name and location, so it can't be found by automatic scripts/etc).

However, this randomization causes security software to be unable to recognize it. Security software operates off of a predefined list of allowed apps, called a definition file. If it sees anything that's not on that list (even custom apps like ours), it will state it's untrusted it, and immediately assumes it's not safe (since it doesn't know what it is). This is extremely common, and is why the app developers allow you a way to add your own exceptions for apps on your computer, to allow them to function when you know they're safe. To do this for our app, you need to add the following process exceptions to it's whitelist/allowed app list/etc, which should keep it from interfering with it's operation in the future:

rubyw.exe
ruby*.exe
ruby*.*
*/ruby*.*
*/*ruby*.*
../ruby*.*
../*ruby*.*
mini puke to 1,558
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So I was doing some speed tests with my modem and wireless router (1st gen Airport, about 10 years old) and found I was losing about 3 mbps when I go wireless (vs hardwiring the modem directly into my laptop.) Is this an expected and acceptable signal loss, or should I be getting more of the signal when I go wireless (say, if I upgrade equipment)? I don't mind ponying up for some new gear, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it won't improve anything.