Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:So....anyone got any experience writing webservers in python? Using tornado websockets? And any feelings on using JSON vs BSON to increase throughput?

(I know...its a long shot, but I'm desperate)
Why would you write your own webserver? That problem has been solved quite well a few times.
We are using webpages to do controls for our Electron Microscopes, and also for doing real-time data visualization for Behavior experiments (meaning mice running on wheels). We've gone that direction so that our scientists can look at things from anywhere, including on their phones/tablets, rather then having to be at a desktop, running a certain python/pyQt application. Its very popular with the scientists, but now that we are trying to push a bunch (up to 36 different data streams coming in from behavior experiments running concurrently) of data/data visualizations...meaning d3/vega charts...things are slowing down.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm no Python expert, but I'd suggest using a real webserver, like Apache or Nginx, in front of your Python application. Don't try recreate the wheel. This page seems to be a good starting point - http://python-guide-pt-br.readthedocs.i ... arios/web/

Also, if you already have this up and running and it's getting slow, make sure you've looked closely at WHY. Where's the bottleneck? Can you just throw hardware at the problem? That's part of the whole value of the cloud - it's generally very easy to scale up (bigger, better servers) and/or out (more servers).
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:I'm no Python expert, but I'd suggest using a real webserver, like Apache or Nginx, in front of your Python application. Don't try recreate the wheel. This page seems to be a good starting point - http://python-guide-pt-br.readthedocs.i ... arios/web/

Also, if you already have this up and running and it's getting slow, make sure you've looked closely at WHY. Where's the bottleneck? Can you just throw hardware at the problem? That's part of the whole value of the cloud - it's generally very easy to scale up (bigger, better servers) and/or out (more servers).
My feeling is that its our network in the building that's the issue. We are running pretty much the same setup on our EM's, and not having any issues. But all of that stuff is continued on its own subnet. I think that now that we are trying to push a bunch of packets through the general building network, packets are getting bogged down. Been doing Wireshark captures trying to get enough evidence of this before we go have a talk with our IT guys about it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jesus, can't Paul Allen buy you guys some monitoring tools built this century?
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you need internet access at the Igloo
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/penguin ... i-password
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This is kind of a general question...but how do you/us older tech guys stay on top of newer technologies? I like to think I keep up with stuff, but we hired a new guy a month or so ago, and I've sat in meetings with him and sometimes have no clue what he is talking about.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:This is kind of a general question...but how do you/us older tech guys stay on top of newer technologies? I like to think I keep up with stuff, but we hired a new guy a month or so ago, and I've sat in meetings with him and sometimes have no clue what he is talking about.
I pretty much don't. I'm just trying to hang on as long as I can until they figure out I'm worthless. (That's about half true. The part about me not being able to keep up is true.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Isn't that what management is for? Or is it that as in your IT group, the previous management hasn't died off yet...
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:This is kind of a general question...but how do you/us older tech guys stay on top of newer technologies? I like to think I keep up with stuff, but we hired a new guy a month or so ago, and I've sat in meetings with him and sometimes have no clue what he is talking about.
I pretty much don't. I'm just trying to hang on as long as I can until they figure out I'm worthless. (That's about half true. The part about me not being able to keep up is true.)
That's my situation....I'm trying to stay ahead of the "old geezer/totally worthless" curve.

(It was Redis that threw me. I've not done any real database stuff before)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Is there a reason the 100' CAT5e cable I bought at Staples was $40, while I'm seeing ones with good reviews on Amazon for less than $10?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

because you don't but CAT5 at Staples. All box stores are overpriced. Except maybe Frye's or a store that specializes in network equipment.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I don't exactly know why, but basic cables are where box stores seem to want to make up for slim margins. That stuff is WAY overpriced. You can always find way cheaper at Amazon.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, I don't exactly know why, but basic cables are where box stores seem to want to make up for slim margins. That stuff is WAY overpriced. You can always find way cheaper at Amazon.
Yeah, HDMI cables are usually more egregious. I've seen them for like $25-$30 at Best Buy for the same cable you can buy on Amazon for like $3 (not the same brand, but similar if not identical quality.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ooh, I have a question for you Mac guys.

My wife is having a problem with her Macbook Air and the school's projectors. The have an old one that only has a VGA input. Last year, the mac (actually it was an older one, but essentially the same model) worked with that using a mini-display port to VGA cable. This year, the Mac never would see the extra display. Since another colleague was having the same problem with a PC (using a USB-to-VGA cable) and the projector is very old, they ordered a new one.

The new one came in today, and it has a proper HDMI input. My wife's Mac still couldn't see it though, using a mini-display port to HDMI cable.

So, what's going on here? Is there some magic trick for Macs to get them to recognize external displays? From what I've read, it's supposed to just show up when you plug it in, but it seems like there must be more to it.

Oh, extra note - this morning with the old projector, we tried a student's laptop that actually has an VGA port on the laptop. That worked just fine. So, the port on the projector wasn't dead.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm presuming the projector didn't show up at all in the Displays preference panel? Sometimes you have to manipulate some of the preferences to make sure the projector "synchs" (for lack of a better word). If the additional projector didn't show up at all, the next thing I'd try would be to go to "About This Mac" in the Apple menu and select Displays from the options and see if it is there. You can also run a System Report from there to make sure the port in question is working correctly.

You're right in that I've seldom had many issues doing plug and play assuming you have the correct adapters from VGA to HDMI, etc (which you obviously do).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:I'm presuming the projector didn't show up at all in the Displays preference panel? Sometimes you have to manipulate some of the preferences to make sure the projector "synchs" (for lack of a better word). If the additional projector didn't show up at all, the next thing I'd try would be to go to "About This Mac" in the Apple menu and select Displays from the options and see if it is there. You can also run a System Report from there to make sure the port in question is working correctly.

You're right in that I've seldom had many issues doing plug and play assuming you have the correct adapters from VGA to HDMI, etc (which you obviously do).
Thanks. I'll get a chance to play with it some more tonight. I haven't seen the new projector yet - I was just hearing from my wife. It's possible they didn't set the new projector up correctly (choose the right input, etc.).

When I hooked it up this morning and went the the Displays settings, it didn't show anything about a second display.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:I'm presuming the projector didn't show up at all in the Displays preference panel? Sometimes you have to manipulate some of the preferences to make sure the projector "synchs" (for lack of a better word). If the additional projector didn't show up at all, the next thing I'd try would be to go to "About This Mac" in the Apple menu and select Displays from the options and see if it is there. You can also run a System Report from there to make sure the port in question is working correctly.

Thanks. I'll get a chance to play with it some more tonight. I haven't seen the new projector yet - I was just hearing from my wife. It's possible they didn't set the new projector up correctly (choose the right input, etc.).

When I hooked it up this morning and went the the Displays settings, it didn't show anything about a second display.
Yeah, worth noting by the way that sometimes the issue is with the projector as well. I've had a couple of times where I had to find a button on the projector that was basically "find all displays" or whatever that particular projector called it. Though that almost always did the trick once I did find that option on the projector. So basically sometimes you have to "synch" (again, for lack of a better word) on both sides.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My mac won't notice an extra display unless The laptop is plugged in.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

When they hooked it up again last night, it worked. I think it was as Brian suggested - they hadn't tried setting the proper input on the projector at first.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone else getting 500 errors when posting?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Usually just one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I occasionally get an error when posting, reload the page, and the Swamp won't let me make a post "so soon after my least post", saving me from a double post. Then, I click back on the Swamp link and it's back to normal.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I occasionally get an error when posting, reload the page, and the Swamp won't let me make a post "so soon after my least post", saving me from a double post. Then, I click back on the Swamp link and it's back to normal.

I get the same though in my browser, it's a blank page after I post forcing me to re-navigate to the home page.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:I occasionally get an error when posting, reload the page, and the Swamp won't let me make a post "so soon after my least post", saving me from a double post. Then, I click back on the Swamp link and it's back to normal.

I get the same though in my browser, it's a blank page after I post forcing me to re-navigate to the home page.

Yes, that.

And it just happened for the first time in a couple days when posting in another thread.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Getting the blank page thing too.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hey....just throwing it out there....anyone a python programmer who has experience with the win32com library? Know of a 64 bit equivilant?

Its a long shot, sure, but I'm desperate...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, you're working with some old stuff. I haven't heard a COM question in years. What are you actually trying to do? Do you have to use COM and Python?
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Stupid, very basic question here.

I have an old iPod nano and the headphone jack doesn't work anymore. Bought a lightning to 3.5 mm adaptor but it says the accessory is unsupported.

No audio through ear buds or through 3.5 mm aux cable in car. I need this to work, because listening to the radio makes me nauseous.

Any ideas? Other than buying a new unit of course...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My touch used to destroy the connector on headphones, but swapping in a fresh pair works (and now I just never unplug them). Basic question, but did you try a different set of headphones?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sadly that usually means that the little springs that connect to the jack bend or break off.

No smart phone?

You can get a bigger SD card for your phone for relatively cheap, also you can usually find nanos or other players on craigslist for cheap.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Sadly that usually means that the little springs that connect to the jack bend or break off.

No smart phone?

You can get a bigger SD card for your phone for relatively cheap, also you can usually find nanos or other players on craigslist for cheap.

Yeah, truth is cheapest option might be a gently used device instead of some crazy Frankencable that might end up costing you about as much.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FWIW, I have been very happy with Anker cables, on a myriad of devices, if you choose to try that option.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Pruitt wrote:Stupid, very basic question here.

I have an old iPod nano and the headphone jack doesn't work anymore. Bought a lightning to 3.5 mm adaptor but it says the accessory is unsupported.

No audio through ear buds or through 3.5 mm aux cable in car. I need this to work, because listening to the radio makes me nauseous.

cables are definitely plugging in all the way? even a tiny bit of dust/grime in the headphone jack can make them not work even if they look plugged in. A good light and a paperclip go a long way.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:No smart phone?

Yeh, if you have a smart phone, just use it for your music device, too.

I used to have an old iPod in my car for music, but after it was stolen, I just started using my iPhone, via bluetooth.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:No smart phone?

Yeh, if you have a smart phone, just use it for your music device, too.

I used to have an old iPod in my car for music, but after it was stolen, I just started using my iPhone, via bluetooth.

Well, I have avoided the smartphone thing. But my wife's 6 month anniversary at Canada's biggest communication conglomerate is in a few weeks, and I'll basically get free service and a free iPhone. So that will be the solution.

But for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to have to figure something out. Honest to God - one day of sports radio and my brain has shrunk.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:Wow, you're working with some old stuff. I haven't heard a COM question in years. What are you actually trying to do? Do you have to use COM and Python?

Yeah...it turned out that the application I was trying to talk to dropped the the ActiveX/COM support in their new release! Lucky me! Get to migrate everything to use ZeroMQ.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:But for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to have to figure something out.

CD player in the car? Hit up the local library.

Or I can send you some more Trojan Box Sets.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:But for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to have to figure something out.

CD player in the car? Hit up the local library.

Or I can send you some more Trojan Box Sets.

My son fixed up his old smart phone. I'll be fine - thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

And any old-time reggae is always appreciated.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:Stupid, very basic question here.

ifixit has instructions on how to repair/replace parts on most devices like this. I have an old ipod that only has sound in one ear and considered fixing it. They will send you the whole repair kit (or you can send it to them).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Alright, I'm finally asking this:

Is "Recent Places" on Windows actually supposed to do something?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The