Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Tech Support

Post by cerrano »

howard wrote:My business partner in the tech company is now my roommate. He knows this shit, as soon as he wakes up I'll ask him. He described a procedure for this sitch for my old roommate, when he moved to Germany.
how about getting a roommate without a dick?

i keed!
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Those are tougher to get rid of.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Well played Howard!
oh shit...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:My business partner in the tech company is now my roommate. He knows this shit, as soon as he wakes up I'll ask him. He described a procedure for this sitch for my old roommate, when he moved to Germany.
Sweet. Thanks.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

For anyone interested, You can get Debenu PDF Tools Pro for free this week. Full suite of converting, merging, and inline OCR. Good times.

It's a shell extension, so there's no application per se. All the options for what you can do with a file come off of the right mouse button click.

http://www.debenu.com/products/desktop/ ... pdf-tools/

The process for acquiring the Pro license is kinda crazy. Install the PDF Tools free version (above). When that setup process is complete, you'll get bounced out to Debenu's site congrats web page that shows the required FB "Like" option midway down the page. Complete the obligatory FB post and the free Pro version will appear. If you need help, lemme know.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Johnny,

I have used CyberGhost VPN a few times and it has worked fine for me, you can specify a country and there are plenty of US servers. I wouldn't speak to it in any sort of real security sense, but if you need a US IP. works just fine, though I haven't used it with Pandora. It being free a big plus. If you ever need real VPN you will probably have to pay for it.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Denis wrote:The process for acquiring the Pro license is kinda crazy. Install the PDF Tools free version (above). When that setup process is complete, you'll get bounced out to Debenu's site congrats web page that shows the required FB "Like" option midway down the page. Complete the obligatory FB post and the free Pro version will appear. If you need help, lemme know.
Actually, when you download the Debenu application, the licence key is included in the ZIP file ("debenu_pdf_tools_pro_license_key.txt"). You do not need to visit Facebook.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

blundercrush wrote:Johnny,

I have used CyberGhost VPN a few times and it has worked fine for me, you can specify a country and there are plenty of US servers. I wouldn't speak to it in any sort of real security sense, but if you need a US IP. works just fine, though I haven't used it with Pandora. It being free a big plus. If you ever need real VPN you will probably have to pay for it.
I'll be trying out VPNs once I get over there. Probably end up buying something. I asked my buddy and he said that Germany does go after people, but it's more for the people hogging the bandwidth seeding. Regardless, I'll be doing all I can to hide and bounce my IP so I can continue doing what I do.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Scottie wrote:
free antivirus, malware, and firewall programs
Step One: Install CCleaner and run it a couple of times every day (it only takes a few seconds).

I don't use anti-virus software. But a free one that is popular is AVG. I recommend not using anti-virus software but that's just me.

Malware/Spyware:
Malwarebytes
Super Anti-Spyware
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Firewall:
ZoneAlarm
So I've uninstalled Norton, installed Malware, super anti spy, Spybot search and destroy, and zone alarm. Anything special I need to know other than making sure I picked the free version?

With Zone alarm I picked the free download with the anti-virus--I hope that was right.

As an aside, A guy I go to AA meetings with got rooked by ransomware saying they were from the FBI and that unless he paid them $300 by credit card he would be ass raped by starting line of the 1976 Philadelphia Fliers while a recording of Kate Smith warbling "God Bless America" played on an endless loop.

He's a chemist and I've watched every episode of "Breaking Bad" so I figured he would know better.

***Edit***How often should I run each of the programs. CCcleaner runs really fast, so that's easy enough. Also, Google Chrome installed with one of the programs possibly Zone Alarm. Should I leave it or will it clutter up my computer.
Last edited by Shrew on Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

howard wrote:Ford Fusion. Irony?
Hmmm, as I recall Scottie rented a fusion a number of years ago. I remember something about side mirrors the size of dentist mirrors but not much else.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shrew wrote:
Scottie wrote:
free antivirus, malware, and firewall programs
Step One: Install CCleaner and run it a couple of times every day (it only takes a few seconds).

I don't use anti-virus software. But a free one that is popular is AVG. I recommend not using anti-virus software but that's just me.

Malware/Spyware:
Malwarebytes
Super Anti-Spyware
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Firewall:
ZoneAlarm
So I've uninstalled Norton, installed Malware, super anti spy, Spybot search and destroy, and zone alarm. Anything special I need to know other than making sure I picked the free version?

With Zone alarm I picked the free download with the anti-virus--I hope that was right.

As an aside, A guy I go to AA meetings with got rooked by ransomware saying they were from the FBI and that unless he paid them $300 by credit card he would be ass raped by starting line of the 1976 Philadelphia Fliers while a recording of Kate Smith warbling "God Bless America" played on an endless loop.

He's a chemist and I've watched every episode of "Breaking Bad" so I figured he would know better.

***Edit***How often should I run each of the programs. CCcleaner runs really fast, so that's easy enough. Also, Google Chrome installed with one of the programs possibly Zone Alarm. Should I leave it or will it clutter up my computer.
I don't know all of those programs well, but be careful that you don't have multiple active programs blocking things like viruses, spyware, etc. They will conflict with each other and could cause a world of hurt. A firewall and anti-virus are fine in concert.

If you are on Windows, the built-in firewall should be fine though.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

As for all of the anti-spyware programs, remove them from Windows Start-Up (Start > Run > type "MSCONFIG" > Start-Up tab > Uncheck the programs to make sure they all don't fire up whenever you restart). While there, poke around and get rid of anything else that doesn't need to be running. Like Adobe Updater, Google Updater, etc.

You don't want all of those anti-spyware programs running simultaneously. You only want to run them when you want to run them and never at the same time. Also, make sure you are not connected to the Internet during a virus/spyware scan.

CCleaner is super user-friendly, yes.

If you are using ZoneAlarm, you can turn off the Windows Firewall (via the Control Panel). You can also set Windows updates to manual. Open the ZoneAlarm interface and go to the Firewall tab. Set your security level to at least Medium.

And, yeah, I rented a Ford Fusion in Edmonton and posted a lengthy review on the Swamp. Worst sight-lines ever! Good recall, Shrew.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I haven't used cc cleaner routinely for a few years (i use sophos, it has been great for macs for years, and i manually clean out cookies every now and then, certainly not often enough.)

So I figured I'd give it a spin. The links to downloads for Mac OS all lead to windows .exe files. Of course. I hate that shit, while understanding this is to nudge me toward the pay version, which I am sure is worth the $25 bucks. But you make me jump through hoops to find the free version? Pisses me off, makes me less likely to buy.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I've got the following running automatically via Windows Task Scheduler, and haven't had any (technical) issues:

Ccleaner (hourly)
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /auto

Malwarebytes Update (daily, overnight)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update

Malwarebytes Full Scan (daily, overnight)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /fullscan

Microsoft Security Essentials, (daily, overnight, also updated daily and automatically)
mini puke to 1,558
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Scottie wrote:As for all of the anti-spyware programs, remove them from Windows Start-Up (Start > Run > type "MSCONFIG" > Start-Up tab > Uncheck the programs to make sure they all don't fire up whenever you restart). While there, poke around and get rid of anything else that doesn't need to be running. Like Adobe Updater, Google Updater, etc.

You don't want all of those anti-spyware programs running simultaneously. You only want to run them when you want to run them and never at the same time. Also, make sure you are not connected to the Internet during a virus/spyware scan.

CCleaner is super user-friendly, yes.

If you are using ZoneAlarm, you can turn off the Windows Firewall (via the Control Panel). You can also set Windows updates to manual. Open the ZoneAlarm interface and go to the Firewall tab. Set your security level to at least Medium.

And, yeah, I rented a Ford Fusion in Edmonton and posted a lengthy review on the Swamp. Worst sight-lines ever! Good recall, Shrew.
;
Great stuff Scottie. While we are on the topic of start menu, here is what I have disabled so far. No idea what some of this stuff is. Is any of it necessary to keep on startup?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I honestly can't read that list. The image is just a bit too small. But it looks like you have the Intel entries disabled. I wouldn't do that. Also, that is the Task Manager. Sure, you can see running processes and services there, but I was referring to the Start-Up (Start > Run > "msconfig" > System Configuration > Startup). It is to there, specifically, that I was referring. That's where you'll uncheck programs that automatically fire up when the computer is started/rebooted. That's where you are unchecking the Adobe entries, anti-spyware programs, Google, iTunes, LiveUpdate, QuickTime, Snapfish (and other ornaments that shipped with the machine). And that is also a good area to glance at every now and then just to make sure something dodgy hasn't worked its way into your startup. For instance, if you ever do get a virus or sypware, even after you believe you have cleansed it, always look at the Startup tab to see if something hasn't put itself there. One of the more misleading things about virus cleaning is that often a user thinks they've killed it off but there is a tiny script that placed itself in Startup; it will immediately reach out the its home and bring itself fully to life all over again.

Oh, and if you are not fully sure what something is? Don't disable/remove it. Google the file name or file entry. Find out if it is an essential program/process/whatever or not. If you're not careful, you may remove an essential. Like your keyboard. If you are unfamiliar with anything like KBD.exe, learn what it is first. They are not all obvious. Although some trojan bits that place themselves in Startup may look like "ksug2h6d7u7s7h8dgjndg.exe", others are far more subtle. Unless something has a completely bizarre name like that, anything you come across in Startup and subsequently look up on the Internet, you'll quickly find that a million other people have had the same question before you. You'll find a proper evaluation straight away.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Somebody remind me to never update iTunes, ever, ever again.

FUCK.
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Have you turned off automatic updates? Edit > Preferences > Uncheck "Check for new software updates automatically".
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I have now.

I'm trying to get some MP3 files under a 10mb limit. Given that the bit rate is 320kbps, I used to be able to "create new version" in iTunes to re-create the same file at 160kpbs with minimal loss.

Now I can't.

mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Try this. Edit > Preferences > General > Import Settings.

If the encoder is set to anything else but MP3,change it. The default is AAC.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I deleted the itunes.itl file to reindex my library.

The import settings are set to MP3, but that only converted AAC and WMA files to MP3. It did not convert existing MP3 files to a lower bit rate.

There used to be an easy option to "Create MP3 Version", that would take an exisint MP3 and lower the bit rate (to 128, 160, 196, etc). No more though.
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

So if you change the import settings to MP3 and then click on the "Advanced" menu item (not the Advanced tab of Edit > Preferences), it still doesn't show the option to create an MP3?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Download fre:ac Convert to whatever format and bitrate you want and then delete the original files.

If you want to do the entire library use dBpoweramp. It faster and only requires right clicking on a context menu rather than pasting over files like fre:ac

My wife insists on having iTunes on one of our machines. I don't know why, but I've decided not fight this battle. I just have it running a version from a year and half ago. Winamp and Media Monkey (and I believe Foobar does as well) do all the things iTunes does without being a royal pain in the ass.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Switch Sound File Converter is another good one. That's what I use. And it's a freebie.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Rush2112 wrote:Winamp and Media Monkey (and I believe Foobar does as well) do all the things iTunes does without being a royal pain in the ass.
Thanks. I switched to Foobar2000 but kept iTunes just for the reason of converting MP3s easily.

Thanks also Scottie, I'll check each of these tools out later today.
mini puke to 1,558
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Foobar can convert files within the player as well.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Howard, did your roommate ever get around to answering my Germany question?

Also, CyberGhost VPN appears to be awesome. I'll probably be buying the full copy once I get the how-to on Germany figured out.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Johnnie wrote:Howard, did your roommate ever get around to answering my Germany question?

Also, CyberGhost VPN appears to be awesome. I'll probably be buying the full copy once I get the how-to on Germany figured out.
Google "VPN Germany to USA". Check the ex pat message boards for people bitching about the particular products that come up. Our friend had to try three different ones before he found one that worked reliably. They only cost $5/month. Now let me watch the rest of "Saving Private Ryan".

That is what he just said.

Our friend did this like three years ago; the best choice is very likely different now.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Lifehacker's top 5:

http://lifehacker.com/5935863/five-best ... -providers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Howard, did your roommate ever get around to answering my Germany question?

Google "VPN Germany to USA". Check the ex pat message boards for people bitching about the particular products that come up. Our friend had to try three different ones before he found one that worked reliably. They only cost $5/month. Now let me watch the rest of "Saving Private Ryan".

That is what he just said.

Our friend did this like three years ago; the best choice is very likely different now.
Ha. Nice. I'll poke around. I'll do the Googling and check out the stuff Kranepool linked too.

ETA

Between Kranepool's link, this link, this link, and this link, the clear overlap for all of them is Private Internet Access. Guess I'll go with that.

Also, has anyone else heard of a Raspberry Pi? I don't even understand that thing, but I want one. I guess it's a mini computer that can do everything and it's super cheap to make and use.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:
Also, has anyone else heard of a Raspberry Pi? I don't even understand that thing, but I want one. I guess it's a mini computer that can do everything and it's super cheap to make and use.
Getting one in the mail any day now. Saw someone that modded one into an old NES box and then had all the old NES games on it. So...gotta give it a try. If that's easy enough will delve further down that rabbit hole.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I knew dudes 10 years ago that downloaded emulators for all cartridge based platforms. Even some that manipulated their XBoxes' HDs so that they could boot them on there. I always wanted to do that, but I fell so far out of wanting to play video games I never really cared to. Maybe I can mod up something when I get to Germany seeing as how I have an XBox 360 that's just chillin'. I'm sure there's some sort of craziness I can do with that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Mario Kart is the reason (as well as Double Dribble.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And Super Mario 3, I hope. (And Zelda too, I'm thinking.)
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Raspberry Pi is a super under powered computer for super cheap, nothing more. Do you want to nerd out with some hot linux action on a processor that is super old? Then the Pi is for you. Do you own a computer from 7 years ago? you could do about the same thing for free. If you want to learn linux it is way better to learn about virtualization, then you can use a chunk of your current computer and try a bunch of different flavors of linux and not have to reformat a drive each time or deal with boot shenanigans. If you actually want to know more I can point you in the right direction, I am sure Scottie can as well.

You can play SNES and NES games on a regular computer (I highly recommend the xbox 360 street fighter 4 fight pad as a modern USB controller) with no problem. One of the most popular SNES emulators is ZSNES just google it. You can find the games as well, though the produced by Nintendo games may be harder to find, nothing you couldn't find on Pirate Bay.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I know a bit about Linux. I run Mint and Win7 on this machine. I basically want to play with the Pi because I think the idea of an emulator running from an old NES is bad ass.

I've played a couple emulator seasons of NHL'95 on my computer...but I'd like to harken back to the 10 people around the TV cracking out on Rad Racer and MarioKart.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

PIA, or Private Internet Access VPN 20% off via slickdeals, now $31.95 per year.
mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How long is that deal gunna last? I'm out the door tomorrow to Ragnar and I won't be around my computers until Monday or so. Nice looking out.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

No idea, but the link still works.
mini puke to 1,558
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

kranepool wrote:PIA, or Private Internet Access VPN 20% off via slickdeals, now $31.95 per year.
Will that help me watch more international soccer?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.