Bourbon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Bourbon

Post by A_B »

Probably, but I guess it depends on what level of bourbon you usually drink. If you drink Woodford all the time, Pappy won't have as much of an impact as if you drink Wild Turkey. Granted, I've only had Pappy on two occasions, and once it was just a sip of someone else's and before I really drank much bourbon.

I'm trying to think of a beer that would be the same for me...there are several that you guys have mentioned as being awesome that I go into with preconceptions. Tenfidy is a good one I guess. You guys raved on it, I had it and it was indeed tremendous. Was it confirmation bias? Somewhat, but it also tasted really good!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB_skin_test wrote: Tenfidy is a good one I guess. You guys raved on it, I had it and it was indeed tremendous. Was it confirmation bias? Somewhat, but it also tasted really good!
That's because it is indeed good.

I'd put Pliny in comparison. Is it a great beer? Yes. Is it going to fucking cure cancer? No.

I also think that both Pappy and Pliny are limited only by production, no?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

See, if you lined up 10 IPAs, I have no doubt I'd know them based on "goodness" and my own personal tastes. With bourbon I bet you could do four and I'd have them in different orders every day unless I really hated one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:See, if you lined up 10 IPAs, I have no doubt I'd know them based on "goodness" and my own personal tastes. With bourbon I bet you could do four and I'd have them in different orders every day unless I really hated one.
Isn't your palate more in line with IPAs than bourbon though?

Plus there are a lot more variables with IPAs than bourbon.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Totally. I'm just speaking to my complete lack of confidence that I could discern great from good from ok on my own like I can with most other things I consume on a regular-ish basis.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pappy prices will be low in 14 years.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AB, do you recall (or just know) how much a drink of Pappy goes for in your neck of the woods?

While in Arizona this year, I went with a couple co-workers to get a drink on the last night of my trip, only the place that had it ($30) had closed five minutes before we got there. (That led to the separate question of "why the hell do you have a bourbon menu at your bar if you're going to close at 9pm?", but that's for another time.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They typically charge upwards of $30 for a Pappy pour. And to hear the bartenders tell it, the bosses make sure they pour right for those and there are no heavy hands. Measured closely. The 23 year stuff I saw on a menu somewhere for $67.50 a drink, I believe.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AB_skin_test wrote:They typically charge upwards of $30 for a Pappy pour. And to hear the bartenders tell it, the bosses make sure they pour right for those and there are no heavy hands. Measured closely. The 23 year stuff I saw on a menu somewhere for $67.50 a drink, I believe.
All makes sense. The night I got to town, I talked to the bartender about it and she gave me the price and said they kept the bottle in a safe.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Washington Post on bourbon thefts in Kentucky.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Washington Post on bourbon thefts in Kentucky.
Craziness - that article speaks volumes about all kinds of human behaviour. From the herd mentality to hypocrisy (steroid freak cop who was the department's D.A.A.R.E liaison)... there's a movie in there somewhere.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Since Rye Whiskey probably doesn't warrant its own thread...

Drank some rye neat for the first time, only had it in Manhattans before. I had Bulleit, and like it a hell of a lot more than their bourbon, which is decent. It just has so much more going on, and is less sweet. Looking to buy a bottle, what do you guys like? I am intrigued by High West, which seems to be blends, often combining rye and bourbon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Smooth ambler old scout rye. Strong to quite strong. One of he whiskeys that's are kinda subcontracted.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

try willet rye. you won't be disappointed.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

cerrano wrote:try willet rye. you won't be disappointed.
I have a bottle of Willet single barrel. Makes a mean Manhattan.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There is a pretty severe bourbon shortage going on in these parts lately. There are times when the only things you can find are the higher end bourbon, and too much is consumed at the Bond Household to do that. Just rows of empty spots where the mid-tier bourbons live. Anyway, my wife was behind a guy at the store last night and he asked the cashier what was going on. She said that Japan is buying it all up (they've bought some of the distillers, maybe as part of this plan) and shipping a lot more there than ever before. You can find the 750ml bottles sometimes, but we usually go for bang for the buck and get the 1.75L bottles. I can see there being a push to bottle less of the big ones so stretch the availability of the smaller ones, but last night even the fifths were gone.

Of course, you can't just make more. The stuff that is hitting the shelf had to be aging for at least 4 years, so if they didn't plan back then, you're just shit outta luck if the distribution is going somewhere else.

it really sucks. Anyone else having trouble finding mid-level bourbon? I mean Old Fitz, Jim Beam, Makers Mark level. You can find the woodfords and higher-ended stuff and the old crow and heaven hill level.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:There is a pretty severe bourbon shortage going on in these parts lately. There are times when the only things you can find are the higher end bourbon, and too much is consumed at the Bond Household to do that. Just rows of empty spots where the mid-tier bourbons live. Anyway, my wife was behind a guy at the store last night and he asked the cashier what was going on. She said that Japan is buying it all up (they've bought some of the distillers, maybe as part of this plan) and shipping a lot more there than ever before. You can find the 750ml bottles sometimes, but we usually go for bang for the buck and get the 1.75L bottles. I can see there being a push to bottle less of the big ones so stretch the availability of the smaller ones, but last night even the fifths were gone.

Of course, you can't just make more. The stuff that is hitting the shelf had to be aging for at least 4 years, so if they didn't plan back then, you're just shit outta luck if the distribution is going somewhere else.

it really sucks. Anyone else having trouble finding mid-level bourbon? I mean Old Fitz, Jim Beam, Makers Mark level. You can find the woodfords and higher-ended stuff and the old crow and heaven hill level.
No, haven't seen this at all. Good thing I am moving my bourbon consumption over to rye. Hopefully I can stay a step ahead of the bastards. Are they soaking up the scotch yet? Scotch is too expensive as it is, the Japanese better not drive up prices. Let them drink Yamakazi and the other Japanese whiskys.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you buy a regular old bottle of bourbon, say Bulleit, is there a shelf life unopened?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There probably is a theoretical age limit, but unopened you should get plenty of shelf life so long as you keep it away from light whenever possible.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So if you find yours again, the only hurdle is admitting how much you need and stockpiling?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:So if you find yours again, the only hurdle is admitting how much you need and stockpiling?
Oh yes. This is the plan. You'd think that the increased demand would drive prices down, but with a limited inventory and significant barrier to entry (that whole aging period thing), that really doesn't apply and can in fact drive prices the other way due to the scarcity. It sucks.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
mister d wrote: You'd think that the increased demand would drive prices down

I'm guessing you didn't do to well in Econ 101.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
A_B wrote:
mister d wrote: You'd think that the increased demand would drive prices down

I'm guessing you didn't do to well in Econ 101.

Wow what a brain fart!

(I got straight A's in every business class I took until Financial Institutions Management my last semester taught by a guy who now works for the Fed in Boston. Not a bad teacher, but he was very interested in the mathematics that underlies high finance and applied it in ways that weren't always apparent or indeed probably necessary for the class he was teaching. But the real issue was that you had two exams and an attendance grade. 45 % for each test, 10% for attendance. Yes, I had a professor take attendance in a senior level course. I got to the final needing a 91% to get an A for the semester and his finals were notoriously difficult. I got a 89% and missed out on Summa Cum Laude by that grade.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: (I got straight A's in every business class I took until Financial Institutions Management my last semester taught by a guy who now works for the Fed in Boston. Not a bad teacher, but he was very interested in the mathematics that underlies high finance and applied it in ways that weren't always apparent or indeed probably necessary for the class he was teaching. But the real issue was that you had two exams and an attendance grade. 45 % for each test, 10% for attendance. Yes, I had a professor take attendance in a senior level course. I got to the final needing a 91% to get an A for the semester and his finals were notoriously difficult. I got a 89% and missed out on Summa Cum Laude by that grade.)
You should have gone in and persuaded him to bump up you grade. He looks like a guy who is easily swayed by emotional appeals.

-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Who hoooooo! Four handles procured! Five percent off when adding two shots of fireball to the order!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Then a trip to a friends, where we didn't have much (and indeed sold one of the handles to them) and the cap didn't get put on tightly and the ENTIRE REST OF THE BOTTLE spilled out in the car on the ride home. But it's super weird because there wasn't much to dry up and the car doesn't smell that badly. Did have weathertech mats (thanks rich person we know who had the same model of car!) so that had some on it and the bag that the bottle was in was wet, but still doesn't explain three quarters of a handle missing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

OK Bitches, I've raved about Untappd, now I've found an app for Spirits. Flaviar...look it up on the app store.

Pretty slick. You can enter your own ratings and notes, plus there is a lot of info on just about anything you can think of.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I received a couple bottles of craft whiskey as late holiday presents. Looking forward to tasting them.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

We have a bottle of this in the office. It's going quickly. Prob the best bourbon that has graced my pedestrian palette. It's a bit on the hot side but with a bit of ice (sorry players) it mellows out nicely.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Is that the 120 dollar bottle? I haven't had any of the WhistlePig yet as it is very pricey.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Those aren't bourbons, BTW.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote:Is that the 120 dollar bottle? I haven't had any of the WhistlePig yet as it is very pricey.
It was a gift to one of our partners. I think that 13 year was closer to $200 when we googled it.

Where's the rye whiskey thread?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:Those aren't bourbons, BTW.
Happy now Syb?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I bought a bottle of Whistle Pig rye last time we were at Costco. Fucking misread the price on it and didn't notice until I read the receipt at home. It's really good (a bit hot, as pdx noted), but I accidentally paid way more than my usual budget.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We're in the Sierras on a short trip during my daughter's spring break. Ate breakfast at an old hotel built during the 1840/1850s gold rush. They had some old artifacts on the wall, including this old bottle of whiskey. I think AB has a couple bottles of it at his house.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Redwood City, heh. It's no San Carlos. (Or Belmont.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ha! No, you're thinking of syb. If he lets beer age weeks he'd let whiskey age centuries for sure.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:ha! No, you're thinking of syb. If he lets beer age weeks he'd let whiskey age centuries for sure.
Ha. Does whiskey go bad? Clear bottle in direct light or heat can't be good, but I imagine it'd last a really long time. I do have a bottle of Scotch that I've been working on for more than a year. Hasn't seemed to change at all.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I actually have a bottle of scotch that I have had for 9 years. It's always been kept inside a cabinet and there is no issue with its quality. Cask Strength Macallan.