Bourbon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Bourbon

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
A_B wrote:ha! No, you're thinking of syb. If he lets beer age weeks he'd let whiskey age centuries for sure.
Ha. Does whiskey go bad? Clear bottle in direct light or heat can't be good, but I imagine it'd last a really long time. I do have a bottle of Scotch that I've been working on for more than a year. Hasn't seemed to change at all.
My last bottle of Oban lasted over 2. Great at the start, great at the finish.

A fun story is when a buddy of mine who "knew whiskey" had an old bottle of CC Reserve that he had found at his dad's house, probably 30 years old, unopened. He "aged" it and told how good it was going to be after he pushed it to 35/40 years.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the process stops once it comes out of the barrel.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: I didn't have the heart to tell him that the process stops once it comes out of the barrel.
Now that you mention it, I had the same conversation with a friend. His grandfather found a bunch of unopened liquor bottles, including a 40+ year old bottle of Crown Royal. He was so psyched about having a 40 yo bottle of whiskey. We drank some, and it was identically horrible to a new bottle.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to bourbons (although there's usually a bottle of Woodford reserve on my drinks cart), so I found the bourbon tasting I went to last night to be both educational and a great way to get pissed.

It was run by the "Drinks Ambassador" from Beam Suntory and featured Jim Beam Black, Basil Hayden, Jim Beam Signature Craft, Makers Mark 46, Knob Creek 12 year old Reserve and Bookers.

Enjoyed all of them, but REALLY enjoyed the Knob Creek.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone talk me out of / into this: http://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/6/13/1 ... ries-paley
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Someone talk me out of / into this: http://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/6/13/1 ... ries-paley
Double the bourbon and go for it. I love a good cocktail and that looks like a good summer bourbon drink. Obviously, don't use top shelf bourbon for a mix like that, IMO.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to bourbons (although there's usually a bottle of Woodford reserve on my drinks cart), so I found the bourbon tasting I went to last night to be both educational and a great way to get pissed.

It was run by the "Drinks Ambassador" from Beam Suntory and featured Jim Beam Black, Basil Hayden, Jim Beam Signature Craft, Makers Mark 46, Knob Creek 12 year old Reserve and Bookers.

Enjoyed all of them, but REALLY enjoyed the Knob Creek.
So, it was

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yes, it was most relaxing!

I know that the Suntory campaign with Bill Murray was fictitious, but Suntory does love the craggy/pockmarked American man.

Tommy Lee Jones is EVERYWEHERE in Japan shilling Suntory's canned coffees. TV, Subway ads, on a million vending achines...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Someone talk me out of / into this: http://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/6/13/1 ... ries-paley
Why? That sounds great. Agree with AB's advice. Then again, always go with AB when it comes to bourbon.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But now I have to go out and buy basil uggghhh ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:But now I have to go out and buy basil uggghhh ...
You don't grow your own? Shocking.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Small apartment. The ol' herb box is in storage.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I have no idea about bourbon. They all taste the same to me and all I think about when I taste them is throwing up Jack Daniels in a field by a bonfire and that is enough to keep me away. But that's not important right now.

Pathfinders for Autism, who I work for, has been awarded a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon to auction off at our big fundraiser this weekend. I am being told that these bottles can sell for upwards of 5 grand. Has anyone heard of this stuff and is it really that rare and valuable?

If anyone is interested in supporting this great organization I work for, here is the link to our silent auction items.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pretty sure I could walk across the street and get a bottle for ~$30. (For the standard one – nothing fancy)
Last edited by P.D.X. on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:Pretty sure I could walk across the street and get a bottle for ~$30.
After clicking, it's a special release.

I think 5K is asking a LOT, given I know you can get Pappy for a couple hundo a bottle, but perhaps this is something very special I'm not aware of?

Either way, nice of them to give it to you guys. I'll check out the auction.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote:I have no idea about bourbon. They all taste the same to me and all I think about when I taste them is throwing up Jack Daniels in a field by a bonfire and that is enough to keep me away. But that's not important right now.

Pathfinders for Autism, who I work for, has been awarded a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon to auction off at our big fundraiser this weekend. I am being told that these bottles can sell for upwards of 5 grand. Has anyone heard of this stuff and is it really that rare and valuable?

If anyone is interested in supporting this great organization I work for, here is the link to our silent auction items.
Maybe call Buffalo Trace and explain the situation to help with setting the reserve amount, and value?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote:
bfj wrote:I have no idea about bourbon. They all taste the same to me and all I think about when I taste them is throwing up Jack Daniels in a field by a bonfire and that is enough to keep me away. But that's not important right now.

Maybe call Buffalo Trace and explain the situation to help with setting the reserve amount, and value?
That's the plan. I have to see if I can get the stuff here by this weekend for our big event.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, if someone pays $5k for a bottle of Buffalo Trace, they're doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Special release or no.

But you also clearly haven't tried the right bourbons, and that should be rectified immediately if not sooner.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Interesting. Looks like this is a special release given to charities only. That makes it impossible to estimate the value, but the distillery rep expects they could sell for over $10,000. According to their website, they did a similar charities release in 2011, and the highest bid was over $7,000. They have some great verbiage to use to convey how special these bottles are. They used whiskey from They only made 200 bottles, and used whiskey distilled in 1980, 1982, or 1983. Not sure if they aged them that whole time, or how thy were stored. Let us know what you bring in, curious to hear.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Got this at duty free two weeks ago -

And it is oh so nice!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Bought a bottle of Bulleit (and gin, and light rum, and coconut rum) this afternoon. Needed to restock the home bar in preparation for a party this weekend.

If you have the chance to try the Bulleit 10 year, do it. It's outstanding.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Probably my favorite bourbon.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This seemed like a better idea at the VA ABC Store than actually in the glass tonight. Especially when the package that came with the BBQ sauce was the same price as without the BBQ sauce.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bird dog is......not great
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Wife wants to age some stout we're brewing in "whiskey barrels." Means I have to go buy oak and some bourbon. Darn.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Enjoying the Bulleit tonight.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:Wife wants to age some stout we're brewing in "whiskey barrels." Means I have to go buy oak and some bourbon. Darn.
The only thing that would make your wife cooler would be if that's her in your avatar.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Wife wants to age some stout we're brewing in "whiskey barrels." Means I have to go buy oak and some bourbon. Darn.
The only thing that would make your wife cooler would be if that's her in your avatar.
She's German/Italian, so darker and much bigger tits.

When I met her she was a wine drinker. Now she's all about barleywines and big ass stouts. She broke into out stash of Uncle Jacob's tonight (an imperial stout aged in Makers, this was the 2014, so only 15%) and had an epiphany.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Here is the bottle that we were gifted to sell. We received and accepted an offer today for $7,000.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote:Image

Here is the bottle that we were gifted to sell. We received and accepted an offer today for $7,000.
Would we recognize the name of the person who put the offer in?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote:

No, it was a private buyer who contacted us. The name doesn't ring a Swamp bell.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Had Willett for the 1st time over Christmas. It was a very good bourbon.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

No, it was a private buyer who contacted us. The name doesn't ring a Swamp bell.
I'm still holding out hope it was Mrs. The Sybian.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
bfj wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

I'm still holding out hope it was Mrs. The Sybian.
How would you react if your wife spent 7k on a bottle of booze?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go on a $7K home decor shopping spree?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Go on a $7K home decor shopping spree?

And buy one plate.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Its a venison plate. Do we have a venison plate?"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
How would you react if your wife spent 7k on a bottle of booze?
Depends, is it our money she spent? Come to think of it, we don't have a venison plate. To Williams & Sonoma!
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Well, it is still available because the guy is skittish about a wrinkle in the top left corner of the label. So, she still has a chance. For her, $6500.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just picked this up from the St. Augustine Distillery on the way back to Maryland. Me gusta.

Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

At the parents house and the same brandy I didn't finish in high school still in the same spot. I'd put the purchase date at 1983. Says 10yr on the unsealed half drunk bottle. Still OK to drink?