The Lunch Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Lunch Thread

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm If I understand it correctly, these kind of services deliver ingredients for you to cook your dinner? Is that right?

Is it that hard to buy your own groceries and use your own recipe? (Serious question)
I can see in a pandemic it being a viable option. I tried one a while back and while it was fine, just wasn't worth the cost for me. Although I could see the woman and me trying it again when there are no kids around that are picky eaters.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

My bleeding heart is aghast at the packaging those services require.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, HF goes way overboard broadcasting how all their shit is recyclable/reused/etc
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm My bleeding heart is aghast at the packaging those services require.
Agree. The waste involved puts me off of it.

I think it's a great way to get people into cooking but it's for people who don't really want to learn to cook they want it done for them. But you could get them a 35$ chefs knife and they could buy their own produce and meat and spices and you'd be off to the races. I hope most people get one and then realize that it's not as hard as they thought and then start cooking on their own.

Either way, the main problem is there's not much in the way of leftovers!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm yeah, HF goes way overboard broadcasting how all their shit is recyclable/reused/etc
Yeah, having just broken it down for tonight's garbage... All of it is recyclable, except for the plastic bag packaging (at least where I live).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They seem like a really good bridge for people who want to start cooking but are intimidated by or too lazy to invest in the start to finish process. And probably better for you and less wasteful than ordering out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm They seem like a really good bridge for people who want to start cooking but are intimidated by or too lazy to invest in the start to finish process. And probably better for you and less wasteful than ordering out.
Right. Like BSF said, it isn't that hard to get a couple of good knives and pans, but it's just not some people's bags. But over the years of being a homeowner those things accumulate so you're halfway there.

I grew up with a home cooked meal almost every night of the week, but that isn't true even for my kids one generation removed. We cook several nights a week, but we are also not above making sandwiches or carry out either. Luckily both of our kids do have basic cooking skills, and the oldest cooks most every night in her apartment with her roommates due to covid.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:35 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm They seem like a really good bridge for people who want to start cooking but are intimidated by or too lazy to invest in the start to finish process. And probably better for you and less wasteful than ordering out.
Right. Like BSF said, it isn't that hard to get a couple of good knives and pans, but it's just not some people's bags. But over the years of being a homeowner those things accumulate so you're halfway there.

I grew up with a home cooked meal almost every night of the week, but that isn't true even for my kids one generation removed. We cook several nights a week, but we are also not above making sandwiches or carry out either. Luckily both of our kids do have basic cooking skills, and the oldest cooks most every night in her apartment with her roommates due to covid.
Yeah, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of food prep and cleanup of food prep. I could see being way more interested in "cooking" if those steps were done for me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, to be clear, you still have to cut stuff and mix stuff and all that.

In fact, I'd say that a certain percentage of the recipes (under 20 percent) are actually not great for a true beginner. You need to know how to chop versus slice up an onion, for example.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Yeah, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of food prep and cleanup of food prep. I could see being way more interested in "cooking" if those steps were done for me.
Honestly mise is one of my fav parts of cooking. Turn on some music and get to work. The stressful part for me is having 3 or 4 things going at once in the actual cooking process and juggling all of it.

Cleanup sucks but I try to do it as I go so I'm always moving. It's a dance.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pmHonestly mise is one of my fav parts of cooking. Turn on some music and get to work.
Yeah, big same here. I love the entire process right up until its time to clean up unless the dishwasher is already empty.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This is very sad and you are not alone.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:09 pm

I should say I grew up with my mom, sister and my grandparents. My grandmother did not work so she always cooked. Things would have been different probably if it was just my mom and sister and me with my mom working full time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, when my wife and I cook, I do all the chopping and prep work, she manages the timing and the more intricate cooking stuff. I also clean as we go, and part of that is the pre-work of making sure the dishwasher is cleared prior to getting the show on the road.

Doing all that by yourself is MUCH harder. Like, exponentially so when you're talking soup to nuts.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:09 pm

I should say I grew up with my mom, sister and my grandparents. My grandmother did not work so she always cooked. Things would have been different probably if it was just my mom and sister and me with my mom working full time.
Yeah lots of different families but we all ain't eating like we used to. Certainly not as healthy. And further from the food. Far from a hippie but we've lost a connection with sustaining ourselves.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There's a running feud between my wife and I, for some reason she always buys packaged shit like muffins and the like. It's just easy to measure out the flour and baking soda, but she insists on buying these things. She's also big into those pasta things with sauce and shit in a bag. It's psychological or something as the 20 minutes it takes that shit to cook you have a real pasta meal almost ready to go.

We did do the EatFresh things at the beginning of all this shit, but that was when we were both working from home AND the kids were here and every second was taken up by something. I did like the simplicity of not planning, which is what I find hardest...I am a stickler about dishes in the washer/sink so cleanup isn't that big of a deal.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

For the first time in my life, I had potato salad that had pieces of carrots in it (not slivers). I understand what is to be gained from it (contrast of texture, crunch, a little sweetness) and their presence didn't dominate or take anything away, but it was just... weird.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Malaysian chicken curry bahn mi.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Cuban sandwich from the good local butcher.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

don't use the marley spoon boxes. we did them after we got a big coupon and we've had issues with three of the four, including me having to clean mayonnaise off of half the ingredients in the box this afternoon after haphazard packing led to a mayo packet getting crushed by the ice bags
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've heard that excuse before ; P
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:37 pm Image

I've heard that excuse before ; P
Ha! Crackerja- nope, too on the nose.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Frozen potstickers air crisped in the Ninja. Better than it has any right to be.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Last night's traditional St. Pat's meal turned into lunch. Corned beef and mustard on soda bread with the sides all mixed together with ketchup.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Had a soy pastor taco the other day that almost made me tear up. I've cut way back on red meat so a pastor taco is not really something I have any more.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We are headed to a Halloween party tonight about 60 miles west of Ft. Worth, so we decided to see if we were passing by any of the places on Texas Monthly's top 50 BBQ restaurants and sure enough, Helberg Barbecue is just right off the freeway outside of Waco. Really looking forward to stuffing myself in a few hours.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Salivating over here
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They have a smoked, then fried chicken and that's what I'm most looking forward to clogging my arteries!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Getting turkey at a BBQ restaurant is a waste of time and stomach space. There, I said it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hard disagree. It's the only time I like turkey, typically.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am Hard disagree. It's the only time I like turkey, typically.
It's not that it's not good, it's just an easy fifth at best on the list of proteins at a typical BBQ place.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can see that. I typically always get some because it's a reprieve after the sticker shock of the brisket.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like it as a counterbalance to all the other fattier meats. I doubt I’d get it solo but good if you’re sharing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I like BBQ turkey. Outside of sandwich places it's not something that shows up on a lot of menus (because it's pretty easy to fuck up), so I do like it as a change up if I see it on the BBQ menu where I can slather it in sauces if it's dry..
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:26 am We are headed to a Halloween party tonight about 60 miles west of Ft. Worth, so we decided to see if we were passing by any of the places on Texas Monthly's top 50 BBQ restaurants and sure enough, Helberg Barbecue is just right off the freeway outside of Waco. Really looking forward to stuffing myself in a few hours.

I can feel my stents corroding as I stare and drool at that picture.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

pruitt2 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:13 amI … feel my …d… as I stare and drool at that picture.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You still doing ok Pruitt?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:15 am
pruitt2 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:13 amI … feel my …d… drool at that picture.
Me too, Pruitt. Me too.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:34 am Getting turkey at a BBQ restaurant is a waste of time and stomach space. There, I said it.
I went to a BBQ spot here and while talking to the owner said "who would get turkey when you have brisket, ribs, pork..." Guy's face lit up and said, trust me, the turkey is amazing. He threw a slice of turkey on my sampler platter, and holy fuck, it was amazing! I don't think I ever ordered the turkey, because brisket, pork and ribs, but I would never knock someone for ordering it now.

Giff, I am so jealous looking at that picture.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:26 am We are headed to a Halloween party tonight about 60 miles west of Ft. Worth, so we decided to see if we were passing by any of the places on Texas Monthly's top 50 BBQ restaurants and sure enough, Helberg Barbecue is just right off the freeway outside of Waco. Really looking forward to stuffing myself in a few hours.

That picture puts my sad leftover lemongrass-beef stirfry to shame.