Breakfast!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Breakfast!

Post by rass »

We have dinner and lunch threads, so with apologies to the scrapple and bacon threads, breakfast needs one, too.

Rice Krispies and 1/3 of a banana.

Also, I bought heavy whipping cream instead of half and half. Not the worst mistake, or cup of coffee, I've ever made.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Breakfast!

Post by Johnnie »

Typically don't even try. I feel so damn tired and lazy in the morning I skip it. It's the dumbest thing I do all day. And I know it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It is easy for me to skip breakfast, which is a big mistake for a weigh-loss program. Eggs and a piece of fruit, or bacon and eggs are my go to when I want to take the time, which is not very often.

I want to include fiber in my breakfast; I have not come up with very many high-fiber/low carb breakfast foods. I'll throw some spinach into the eggs occasionally, or have some salad when leftover from dinner. Leftover fish from dinner too.

But I have two most common breakfasts. 1) Ground flax seed + plain greek yogurt + splenda/cinnamon/vanilla flavoring--quick, easy, some fiber, filling. 2) Ground flax seed + cinnamon + hot water + peanut butter--quick, easy, lots of fiber, incredibly filling, and doesn't taste anywhere near as grim as it sounds, at least to me.

Flax seeds is supposed to be great for health. All those Barry Bonds home runs convinced me. n.b. they must be ground up to do any good--whole flax seeds just roll right though you undigested and unabsorbed.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

During the week I usually do either a bagel with peanut butter or oatmeal with a non-fat greek yogurt. On the weekends I'm a big fan of toast with poached eggs. (love me some poached eggs).

If I'm doing something active that day, like skiing or sailing or going for a long bike ride, I'll do up a breakfast sandwich or burrito with scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I make my own bread every couple of days. Typically that is half/half whole wheat and white or multigrain and white. I'll mess around with different flours just for variety at times. Rye is a nice addition. Adding 1/2 cup of rye to 1 1/4 cups white and 1 1/4 cups whole wheat is a good mix. And because I've been doing this for twenty years, it's really damn good. So I'll toast a couple of rather thick slices of that. And very occasionally have an egg or two with it; poached is nice (like DaveInSeattle sez).

And tea or coffee. I use a Bodum french press for coffee. I buy beans and grind them in a Braun bean grinder. Or I use loose tea (never bagged). For coffee or black tea, I'll use a small amount (a tablespoon or two at the most) of skim milk. NEVER use cream, it's like ingesting glops of fat. And I never never never touch anything prefab'd, microwavable, instant, or loaded with chemicals.

So . . . kind of boring.

Howard's flax seed combos look excellent; my Dad has a very similar recipe (and variations) for breakfasts. My wife is a cereal killer; Kashi being her go to.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:…cream, it's like ingesting glops of fat.
You say that like it is a bad thing. It is the damn point!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:
Scottie wrote:…cream, it's like ingesting glops of fat.
You say that like it is a bad thing. It is the damn point!
The most popular coffee in Canada (and it has been for decades) is the Tim Hortons "double double". That does not mean a "really big coffee". You can order a small double double. Double double means double cream and double sugar. Coupled with Tim's drug-laced coffee being the highest legally permissible amount of caffeine possible, adding double heapings of sugar and double heapings of cream to it creates an insane Frankencoffee. Typical Canadians drink at least one or two of these every day. And as a result they develop guts like polar bears. I won't touch the stuff. Couldn't pay me to. Tim's coffee itself sucks bad enough as it is without the added dose of insta-angina.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I pretty much eat bacon and eggs every morning. I'll sometimes replace the bacon with pork sausage links. On rare occasions I'll have creamy oat bran with butter and brown sugar, or a banana-strawberry or banana-blueberry smoothie.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sabo wrote:I pretty much eat bacon and eggs every morning.
My man!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

HaulCitgo wrote:
My man!
Eating bacon and eggs every morning is so worth the eventual heart attack.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:
My man!
Eating bacon and eggs every morning is so worth the eventual heart attack.

I imagine your avatar has a similar outlook. I'm a Kashi killer myself. I know cereal is probably a horrible breakfast since it is carb-loading, but mornings are rough getting the kids and myself out the door with the wife running around in the background. I usually add a banana to the mix. Sometimes I get crazy and go oatmeal and banana. Occasionally on weekends I'll make whole wheat pancakes for the kiddies and throw one on for myself. fortunately the kids have never tasted fake syrup and don't even ask for it at diners. They like to wrap the pancakes around grapes. I guess that is sort of like jelly, but without the HFCS and added sugar.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Coffee from the Clive stand my wife bought me a year ago.

Two large spoonfuls of Cabot 10% fat plain yogurt, with my friends' local honey, and raw almonds during the week.

Eggs from our chicken and bacon on the weekend.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nesquik. I'm 8.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Banana and strawberries in coconut milk then blended. Yum.

Or I go plain Greek yogurt, granola, and fruit.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We received a Kuerig k-cup coffee maker for Christmas, and I guess I like it well enough. But, I miss the aroma of steaming full pot of great coffee.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i don't really do my meals in normal order. since most nights im playing poker from 11pm-8am, i usually dont eat dinner, so i grab whataburger on my way home from the game, sleep a couple hours, then go to panera, get a cinnamon crunch bagel and a chai tea latte, and then don't eat again until after the next card game.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Had the Panera Cinnamon Crunch bagel and a blueberry bagel with the free butter pats for probably 3x week til the office moved.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:We received a Kuerig k-cup coffee maker for Christmas, and I guess I like it well enough. But, I miss the aroma of steaming full pot of great coffee.

My sister got us one last year. The only time I use it is if we're headed out the door and I need a quick cup. I don't think it has the same depth as "real" coffee and I really think it doesn't have the same caffeine.

Scottie, Dunkin Doughnuts has the same diabettus causing coffee here. My wife and her sister love it, but the coffee is crap and if you get a "regular" it is basically slightly coffee flavoured sugar milk.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Since I had to wait on the plumber to show up today (still waiting, in fact), I made myself a protein shake.

Chocolate milk, almond butter, Greek Yogurt w/honey, peanut butter, and a scoop of peanut butter/chocolate protein. If I had a banana that would have gone in too. It wasn't bad, but I think I need a heavy duty blender so I can add some ice and make it a smoothie next time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:We received a Kuerig k-cup coffee maker for Christmas, and I guess I like it well enough. But, I miss the aroma of steaming full pot of great coffee.

My sister got us one last year. The only time I use it is if we're headed out the door and I need a quick cup. I don't think it has the same depth as "real" coffee and I really think it doesn't have the same caffeine.

Scottie, Dunkin Doughnuts has the same diabettus causing coffee here. My wife and her sister love it, but the coffee crap and if you get a "regular" it is basically slightly coffee flavoured sugar milk.
I've always said that the only reason people love DD's coffee is because they put a lot of milk and 4 shovels of sugar. on the rare occaision I need to get my caffeine fix there, I pass on the sugar and put in one packet myself. It needs an added espresso shot (Turbo'd!) to remotely taste like coffee or deliver caffeine. I have made their beans at home before, and they weren't bad.

As for Panera, they are a quality chain. Bread products are baked fresh, and the soups and sandwiches are good. They actually use fresh ingredients. Novel concept.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I reserve the pots for the weekend now and use the Keurig for the week. We got the newer one with Vue cups, so it's harder to find ones I like.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Basically just a lot of eggs.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:As for Panera, they are a quality chain. Bread products are baked fresh, and the soups and sandwiches are good. They actually use fresh ingredients. Novel concept.
Corporate whore. Did they not pay you enough to change your avatar, too?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:As for Panera, they are a quality chain. Bread products are baked fresh, and the soups and sandwiches are good. They actually use fresh ingredients. Novel concept.
Corporate whore. Did they not pay you enough to change your avatar, too?

Funny. I don't like them, or go there, nearly enough for avatar status. I figure for all of the chain bashing I'd do, I'd give credit for once. As for the k-cups, how much time do you really save in the morning versus making a pot of coffee? Even if you grind beans, it takes what, 30 seconds of prep time? Just put on a pot, get dressed and ready, and your coffee will be done before you are ready to go. I bet when you make the k-cup, you stand by the machine, so you are using about the same amount of time as making a pot. Then again, most machines can be set to start at whatever time you want. I have a Keurig at work, and the coffee is horrible. I'm just to lazy to go downstairs to the building cafeteria, which probably isn't much better.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

America is completely missing out on bakeries the way they are over here. Mom and pop bakeries are everywhere. Panera Bread and the like would be ashamed.

And add honey to your coffee. You're welcome.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:
maple syrup is better.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Every couple of weeks, at least during the cooler months, I make some oatmeal in our slow cooker. Throw everything in at night and it's ready in the morning. Usually I'll make double batch and it makes enough for 2 full weeks. Just need to add a little extra milk when warming up in the microwave. I'll usually throw in some sliced banana or add some frozen berries while it's heating up too.

1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
6 cups water
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1+ tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
nutmeg to taste
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
maple syrup is better.
Or just drink it black like a real man.

#ronswanson#notapussy#MRF
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A two egg omelette, with broccoli, tomato, onion, avacado, pickled banana peppers and a dash of cheddar. Sourdough bread toast. Proving you can't have everything, the coffee is a bit weak as I used up the last of a bag of beans and didn't want to mix.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Eggs Benedict with sautéed mushrooms, avocado and turkey bacon. Bonus for being a local place with outdoor seating. And from what I sampled from my daughter's plate, the pancakes were fantastic. Yum.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Where?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

mister d wrote:Where?
what he said.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

On a lark I swiped a packet of honey from Starbucks and squeezed it out on a banana as I ate it here at my desk at work.

In addition to being delicious, it was the most erotic breakfast experience I've had in quite a while. Having to get a wet paper towel to clean up a spot or two on my pants afterwards only added to the effect.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NSF%
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't understand... Do you have a lot of mirrors in your office?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Lately, my breakfasts have either been a large bowl of creamy oat bran or an omelet with veggies and cheese. This morning I splurged and had hash browns and eggs.

I was in Cincinnati last week, and my dad bought some goetta, froze it and sent it back with me. I'll enjoy some of that in the next week or two. Which is nice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'll save everyone else the same effort ...

Goetta is a meat-and-grain sausage or mush of German inspiration that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:I'll save everyone else the same effort ...

Goetta is a meat-and-grain sausage or mush of German inspiration that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area.
Also, for best results it probably shouldn't be eaten frozen.