CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by Pruitt »

I definitely use "you're welcome" in a passive-aggressive way, but that's only the case if I've done something worthy of thanks, and no thanks is forthcoming.

Such as if I've held open the door for someone and they've just brushed past.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

On my way to a conference room yesterday, I walked by an office door with this name on it:
Panda Wang

I've giggled to myself about that a million times since.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My small company made its first-ever acquisition.Feels like working for a Fortune 500 company with press releases and shit!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Me to a co-worker explaining how to resolve an issue to a customer: "And whatever you do, tell them to definitely under no circumstances should they delete that file."

Co-worker to me a few minutes ago: "So remember that case with <so and so> where we told them not to delete the file. Well, they deleted it."

FML.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

brian wrote:Me to a co-worker explaining how to resolve an issue to a customer: "And whatever you do, tell them to definitely under no circumstances should they delete that file."

Co-worker to me a few minutes ago: "So remember that case with <so and so> where we told them not to delete the file. Well, they deleted it."

FML.

Ok kids this is an example of why you back up your data. No RAID is not a backup 'm kay?
-your friendly guy who deals with people who don't make backups all the time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fortunately we run backups for our customers because they're mostly idiots, but this one was more or less beyond the pale even for them. But we get the fun of restoring the backup, etc and they get to sit on their stupid asses and complain we're not fixing their fuckup fast enough.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Looks like today's the semi-annual event where someone accidentally copies the whole company on an e-mail, then 100 people reply to all telling everyone not to reply to all.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You may work with a friend of mine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My trip to Hawaii has my regularity all off, so I've had to crap at work. Both times someone in the other stall did not wash their hands after shitting. JFC.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So glad we have single-occupant restrooms.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You should still wash your hands.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:My trip to Hawaii has my regularity all off, so I've had to crap at work. Both times someone in the other stall did not wash their hands after shitting. JFC.

Maybe you should try not peeing on pooping on yourself
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The next time I get an IM from someone asking if I can join a meeting right then and either sorry for the late notice or sorry for not inviting you, I'm going to throat-punch someone. And by throat punch, I mean yell Fuck a little louder than I should in an office setting.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Probably not the right thread for this, but thought I'd share. I'm a relatively new manager (19 months) and haven't really had too many issues aside from having to deal with catty drama. There's one guy who's been here for over four years and, bless his heart...his dumb dumb heart, he's just not cutting it for what we need from our current headcount. We put him on a PIP earlier this year and after months of chance after chance, I finally decided to stop giving him chances and call it a day. I was dreading it all because he's the sweetest guy. He's almost like a mascot for the department. But it has to happen Anyway, set-up a meeting with HR to discuss it and they say the company puts a moratorium on managing out employees on a PIP until after the holidays. And if after that we still want him out, we can keep them on until they find something else or we find the backfill. This may all be normal stuff and I'm just so insulated having never been in this position, but I thought that was pretty cool for a pretty large company. It also made a difficult conversation a little less so. He knows he's probably not going to make it, but that info gives him peace of mind.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:Probably not the right thread for this, but thought I'd share. I'm a relatively new manager (19 months) and haven't really had too many issues aside from having to deal with catty drama. There's one guy who's been here for over four years and, bless his heart...his dumb dumb heart, he's just not cutting it for what we need from our current headcount. We put him on a PIP earlier this year and after months of chance after chance, I finally decided to stop giving him chances and call it a day. I was dreading it all because he's the sweetest guy. He's almost like a mascot for the department. But it has to happen Anyway, set-up a meeting with HR to discuss it and they say the company puts a moratorium on managing out employees on a PIP until after the holidays. And if after that we still want him out, we can keep them on until they find something else or we find the backfill. This may all be normal stuff and I'm just so insulated having never been in this position, but I thought that was pretty cool for a pretty large company. It also made a difficult conversation a little less so. He knows he's probably not going to make it, but that info gives him peace of mind.

Firing people fucking sucks. That job has generally fallen to me, within my firm, and even when it is an earned firing and not a layoff, it is never fun.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That kind of person is a "lovable slacker" and I have a lot of those characteristics, but I have managed to survive for 21 years, so maybe I'm being hard on myself. Fucking weather changes, man.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote:Probably not the right thread for this, but thought I'd share. I'm a relatively new manager (19 months) and haven't really had too many issues aside from having to deal with catty drama. There's one guy who's been here for over four years and, bless his heart...his dumb dumb heart, he's just not cutting it for what we need from our current headcount. We put him on a PIP earlier this year and after months of chance after chance, I finally decided to stop giving him chances and call it a day. I was dreading it all because he's the sweetest guy. He's almost like a mascot for the department. But it has to happen Anyway, set-up a meeting with HR to discuss it and they say the company puts a moratorium on managing out employees on a PIP until after the holidays. And if after that we still want him out, we can keep them on until they find something else or we find the backfill. This may all be normal stuff and I'm just so insulated having never been in this position, but I thought that was pretty cool for a pretty large company. It also made a difficult conversation a little less so. He knows he's probably not going to make it, but that info gives him peace of mind.

Can you just stop paying him? Maybe he won't notice.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:That kind of person is a "lovable slacker" and I have a lot of those characteristics, but I have managed to survive for 21 years, so maybe I'm being hard on myself. Fucking weather changes, man.

Nah. Lovable slacker implies the ability to work at a high level if they choose. Giff's description is a lovable dummy.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:
A_B wrote:That kind of person is a "lovable slacker" and I have a lot of those characteristics, but I have managed to survive for 21 years, so maybe I'm being hard on myself. Fucking weather changes, man.

Nah. Lovable slacker implies the ability to work at a high level if they choose. Giff's description is a lovable dummy.

Yup.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Who the hell decides (this morning) to have a meeting at 3pm on the day before Thanksgiving?

Oh yeah...my boss, that's who! Huzzah!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Who the hell decides (this morning) to have a meeting at 3pm on the day before Thanksgiving?

Oh yeah...my boss, that's who! Huzzah!

I once had a boss who scheduled a meeting on a Sunday morning at 12:00 noon (to prep for a big event the next day). He was not a sports fan, so he didn't realize it was Super Bowl Sunday.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Office holiday party and secret Santa today. I have someone with a name that's a variant of Charles.

I attached the following to the gift:

photoshopped image of nurse from Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a Santa hat/img

I heard that you were feeling down
That all the driving makes you frown
I've come to help restore your pluck
'cause I'm the Secret Santa who likes to...

[+] spoiler
(flip to inside of the card)
BUY FOR CHUCK

Winner, right?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Winner.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Office holiday party and secret Santa today. I have someone with a name that's a variant of Charles.

I attached the following to the gift:

photoshopped image of nurse from Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a Santa hat/img

I heard that you were feeling down
That all the driving makes you frown
I've come to help restore your pluck
'cause I'm the Secret Santa who likes to...

[+] spoiler
(flip to inside of the card)
BUY FOR CHUCK

Winner, right?

Hi, Mr. Rass? Can you please report to HR? And bring your laptop and security badge when you come in. Thanks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

When I was leaving work this last Wed before T'giving, a group of guys was spilling out of their Uber at 4pm, late for a meeting inside. They were coming from the airport. WTF is that? I asked them twice who they were meeting, because I was going to figure out a way to get that person or group in trouble. That's some bullshit. (They wouldn't rat the person out.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What are you implying? That the company is supposed to send a car?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:What are you implying? That the company is supposed to send a car?

I took it to mean that it was bullshit to make people fly into DC for a meeting at 4 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

(In other words, if it was just another Wednesday, NLFC wouldn't have cared. (Unless I'm reading it completely wrong.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What are you implying? That the company is supposed to send a car?

I took it to mean that it was bullshit to make people fly into Tampa for a meeting at 4 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

(In other words, if it was just another Wednesday, chedda wouldn't have cared. (Unless I'm reading it completely wrong.)

Chedda may still not care.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:

I took it to mean that it was bullshit to make people fly into Tampa for a meeting at 4 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

(In other words, if it was just another Wednesday, chedda wouldn't have cared. (Unless I'm reading it completely wrong.)

Chedda may still not care.

Oops, I will edit. Thanks.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh! Yeah, that makes more sense.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shit bro, I was knee deep in brews from the Answer in Richmond the day before Thanksgiving. IDGAF.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:

I took it to mean that it was bullshit to make people fly into DC for a meeting at 4 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

(In other words, if it was just another Wednesday, NLFC wouldn't have cared. (Unless I'm reading it completely wrong.)

Yeah, having a meeting at 4pm that day is already bullshit. Making consultants fly in? Even if they were able to fly out that night, making them fly at all that day sucks. And then the fact that MOST people are actually prepping or getting ready for family that night.

Just a shitty thing to do. Very few things where I work are that urgent or mission critical to need require that kind of bullshit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd like to bet $1B that the person who called the meeting is either divorced and solo or scheduled to purposefully avoid family.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Always fun when people reply-all to listserves about a specific problem and then as the email hell-chain keeps growing, people chime in via reply-all to ask to be removed from the reply-all, further propagating the problem.

My phone is going to die from the notifications.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could turn off notifications.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm You could turn off notifications.
it's like watching a wreck happen in real-time
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm Always fun when people reply-all to listserves about a specific problem and then as the email hell-chain keeps growing, people chime in via reply-all to ask to be removed from the reply-all, further propagating the problem.

[pedant]listservs[/pedant]
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm Always fun when people reply-all to listserves about a specific problem and then as the email hell-chain keeps growing, people chime in via reply-all to ask to be removed from the reply-all, further propagating the problem.

gah how could I make that typo
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 pm

gah how could I make that typo
Really has me questioning your journalistic bona fides.