The Sweet Science

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The Sweet Science

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:So kind of excited about that Canelo-GGG fight, even though it's coming a couple or three years too late.

Still, Mexican Independence Day weekend in Las Vegas. Gonna be an epic weekend. You won't be able to move two feet without tripping over a Mexican (like, literally from Mexico) that weekend.
Wow - drunken Mexicans tangling with drunken Russians. It will be brawl-tastic.

And that's a fight I will gladly pay to see.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had zero interest in Canelo - JCCjr. I am pumped for Canelo - GGG. Despite my anticipating GGG will handle the redhead with ease.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:I had zero interest in Canelo - JCCjr. I am pumped for Canelo - GGG. Despite my anticipating GGG will handle the redhead with ease.
Not having paid for last night's debacle, I was free to admire just how good a boxer Canelo is.

He's a really good boxer.

Having said that, I think Golovkin will take the side of his head off.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So I guess Mayweather/McGregor is a thing.

Admit being interested in the same way it's hard not to watch a car wreck when you drive by one, but I don't see anyway Floyd doesn't easily win a decision. Could pretty much guess how the fight is going to go. Floyd's speed will prevent him from getting hit and he'll counter McGregor to death and easily outpoint him.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:So I guess Mayweather/McGregor is a thing.

Admit being interested in the same way it's hard not to watch a car wreck when you drive by one, but I don't see anyway Floyd doesn't easily win a decision. Could pretty much guess how the fight is going to go. Floyd's speed will prevent him from getting hit and he'll counter McGregor to death and easily outpoint him.
Fools. Money.

Even if the MMA guy can manage to kick Mayweather in the nuts a few times, who gives a shit?

Like watching the All-Blacks play the Patriots, a completely meaningless exhibition.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Apropos of nothing, why did this happen quicker than Mayweather/ Pacquiao? I remember in '08-'09 ish when it should have happen instead of so many years after the fact. That alone makes me think that Mayweather is going to win this quick.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Apropos of nothing, why did this happen quicker than Mayweather/ Pacquiao? I remember in '08-'09 ish when it should have happen instead of so many years after the fact. That alone makes me think that Mayweather is going to win this quick.
Exactly right.

And as one who never watches MMA, let me ask if you guys really think this will draw like Mayweather-Pacquaio?

In my mind, events like this demean both sports.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't get it. Is it a straight boxing match? MMA?
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:I don't get it. Is it a straight boxing match? MMA?
Just read that it's a boxing match.

I would say to anyone thinking of spending a cent to see this fight - send the money to a charitable organization. You will feel a lot better for it on the morning after the fight.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To answer Johnnie's question it came together because there's literally almost zero risk to Mayweather and he'll make about $100 million. There's less risk to Floyd than even an old washed up Manny. I think if Floyd wants to knock out McGregor he will. It's a question of how badly he wants to hurt him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The genius of this fight is the same as Floyd/Manny in that they're both incredible athletes and both deplorable in their own way and Floyd has zero chance of losing. He might be the best businessman in boxing history if nothing else.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Guardian Breaks Down the Farce.
McGregor? There are 20-year-olds in boxing gyms right now that would light him up like a Christmas tree. That’s at least what’s suggested by the infamous footage of the Irishman’s sparring session last year with Chris van Heerden, a former welterweight belt-holder from South Africa. Sure, there’s reason to believe his clumsy, plodding approach could improve with a training camp devoted completely to boxing. But there’s simply no way he can catch up to the fistic aptitude of Mayweather, who’s been drilled in the mysteries of the sport since childhood. There’s no such thing as a crash course for a lifelong craft.
But someone isn't so sure...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote:I would say to anyone thinking of spending a cent to see this fight - send the money to a charitable organization. You will feel a lot better for it on the morning after the fight.
I plan on watching it on Instagram moments after it concludes because it'll be 59 seconds or less.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: I would say to anyone thinking of spending a cent to see this fight - send the money to a charitable organization. You will feel a lot better for it on the morning after the fight.
Fantastic idea
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ward-Kovalev about to start.

Kovalev won the first fight (except on the scorecards) and he's going to win tonight.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What a ridiculous stoppage! It should have been an 8 count at most.

Unbelievable.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Pruitt wrote:What a ridiculous stoppage! It should have been an 8 count at most.

Unbelievable.
Was at fight. Kovalev was in trouble but didn't deserve stoppage. I had Ward 10-1 at anything but decision so I was happy but as a boxing fan it was wrong. Most of the people in my section took a while to realize it was over. Looking forward to the replay on HBO next week because I thought Kovalev was up 5-2 to my eyes but after the bout Kellerman was heaping praise on Ward saying his performance 'would be taught for years to come'. It didn't look that way live.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've never attended a big time prizefight. If you don't mind - What did your seats cost? Where were you seated?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

sancarlos wrote:I've never attended a big time prizefight. If you don't mind - What did your seats cost? Where were you seated?
Had never gone either. I usually check day of for bargains but never found any until yesterday. We were five rows up in second level and seats were $60. Shade less than $80 per seat after fees/taxes. That was through the Mandalay website. Couple next to us paid over $100 on stub hub.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rams Fanny wrote:
Pruitt wrote:What a ridiculous stoppage! It should have been an 8 count at most.

Unbelievable.
Was at fight. Kovalev was in trouble but didn't deserve stoppage. I had Ward 10-1 at anything but decision so I was happy but as a boxing fan it was wrong. Most of the people in my section took a while to realize it was over. Looking forward to the replay on HBO next week because I thought Kovalev was up 5-2 to my eyes but after the bout Kellerman was heaping praise on Ward saying his performance 'would be taught for years to come'. It didn't look that way live.
I had it 4-3 Kovalev. Ward got away with a number of low blows as well. Listen, he was fighting well and may have won, but that stoppage was ridiculous. I was watching the Sky Sports feed and there announcers were screaming about the stoppage. i don't care what Kellerman says - the only thing they;ll be teaching from that fight is how to pay off Tony Weeks.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Was with friends last night and the Connor Floyd fight came up. Was shocked to learn I was the only one who thought Floyd would win easy. They all said Mcgregor is a brawler and Floyd won't be able to handle him. The epitome of wishful thinking. Floyd will barely get hit, and it will be a dull fight by round three.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Square Rob wrote:Was with friends last night and the Connor Floyd fight came up. Was shocked to learn I was the only one who thought Floyd would win easy. They all said Mcgregor is a brawler and Floyd won't be able to handle him. The epitome of wishful thinking. Floyd will barely get hit, and it will be a dull fight by round three.
ALL Mayweather fights are dull for this reason.

Although, McGregor should be spent by the 6th round and Mayweather may decide to take him out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah Mayweather's a weird dude. I think he legitimately doesn't like McGregor (unlike Pacquiao and some of his other recent opponents where most of pre-fight trash talk was a put-on) and might choose to drag McGregor for awhile and knock him out in the late rounds. If nothing else also to stick it to critics of his fighting style also.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Yeah Mayweather's a weird dude. I think he legitimately doesn't like McGregor (unlike Pacquiao and some of his other recent opponents where most of pre-fight trash talk was a put-on) and might choose to drag McGregor for awhile and knock him out in the late rounds. If nothing else also to stick it to critics of his fighting style also.
Mayweather is a horrible human being...

But my loathing of MMA makes me hope that he shreds this guy big time.

(And no, I wouldn't pay a penny to watch the fight)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Two white guys? How am I supposed to know who to bet on?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pacquiao got robbed. After the 9th there was nothing that showed me Horn took control of the match to win the rounds.

But Teddy Atlas going nuts is fun to watch.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Pacquiao got robbed. After the 9th there was nothing that showed me Horn took control of the match to win the rounds.

But Teddy Atlas going nuts is fun to watch.
Didn't see the fight, but the consensus is that it was a robbery.

Good news for everyone is that now there will be a rematch that people will be excited about.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Manny has no damn business fighting a nobody with 17 pro fights, none of them outside of Australia/NZ. If he can't put this guy away in three rounds, he should retire. Sure he was robbed, in dude's hometown, and he deserved to be robbed. I guess the same psychological traits that make you a champion fighter (or maybe a fighter period) makes it nearly impossible for you to not know when to fucking quit.

This sport is well into another down cycle.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Manny has no damn business fighting a nobody with 17 pro fights, none of them outside of Australia/NZ. If he can't put this guy away in three rounds, he should retire. Sure he was robbed, in dude's hometown, and he deserved to be robbed. I guess the same psychological traits that make you a champion fighter (or maybe a fighter period) makes it nearly impossible for you to not know when to fucking quit.

This sport is well into another down cycle.
Pacquiao peaked a decade ago. The fact that he still attracts viewers after what Mayweather did to him is kind of crazy.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So fucking tiresome. (The whole bit. Including and especially Barstool's typical repping of the white guy.)

I fucking hate Floyd and hope he kills McGregor. (Which is the whole point of the WWE nonsense.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:So fucking tiresome. (The whole bit. Including and especially Barstool's typical repping of the white guy.)

I fucking hate Floyd and hope he kills McGregor. (Which is the whole point of the WWE nonsense.)
A funny clip - and yeah, they'll be hitting the race angle pretty hard to sell this dog and pony show.

It's interesting, I also loathe Maweather, but I hope he knocks MMA back into the basements of roadhouse bars where it belongs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The morons are coming out of the woodwork and backing McGregor.

I wasn't the only person to predict this, but yeah...somehow all the residents of Idiotville have put their money on McGregor and has been bet down to +400, which is fucking insane balls. If they were to fight 10 times, I doubt McGregor could win once. I could see maybe taking a flyer on him at +1000 in case Floyd gets himself DQed or McGregor lands one lucky punch or something crazy like that but this is probably the best betting opportunity on a major prize fight ever (without the benefit of a time machine to bet on Buster Douglas).

Now I just need to figure out when to pull the trigger on Floyd. Pretty soon maybe because I assume as the fight gets closer a lot of the smart/professional money will come in big on Floyd. A lot of those guys have been lying low to let the price come down as it likely was going to and in case of an injury in training. Even though I'm betting big on this one, I'm willing to fade that chance.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The "Behind the Bets" podcast has mentioned that money from across the pond will often coming pouring in on McGregor shortly before his fights as his fans arrive in Vegas. I don't know if there is history of line movements available, but you might want to look into that, especially if it means Floyd's price is going to get even better.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:The "Behind the Bets" podcast has mentioned that money from across the pond will often coming pouring in on McGregor shortly before his fights as his fans arrive in Vegas. I don't know if there is history of line movements available, but you might want to look into that, especially if it means Floyd's price is going to get even better.

That's a good point. I wonder how many of those are just average punters and how much big money there will be. Because I know there's going to be some HUGE bets coming down on Floyd.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:The "Behind the Bets" podcast has mentioned that money from across the pond will often coming pouring in on McGregor shortly before his fights as his fans arrive in Vegas. I don't know if there is history of line movements available, but you might want to look into that, especially if it means Floyd's price is going to get even better.

That's a good point. I wonder how many of those are just average punters and how much big money there will be. Because I know there's going to be some HUGE bets coming down on Floyd.

Right, those guys with the stacks are waiting, just as you are. I don't see McGregor getting big money bets backing him here. I'm clearly no expert, but if I worked at a book and one very large bet came in on McGregor, I would start thinking some sort of fix was in, unless we simply needed the major bet to balance our risk.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Damn! Thomas Hearns was good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4BZ2-hBbsA
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This may seem innocuous or a small thing, but here's another reason to bet the house against McGregor.

Could be me projecting, but I just feel like this shows where his head is at. He wanted a mega payday against Mayweather so he never has to work/fight again and will just become a party promoter or whatever he feels like doing.

Say what you want about Floyd, but his undefeated record obviously means something to him (why else would he have protected it for so long against tomato cans and ducked Manny in his prime, etc.) This also means I'm pretty sure that even at age 40, Floyd is taking this fight exceptionally seriously.

I'm not so sure about McGregor.