Random Headlines

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Headlines

Post by Pruitt »

Swedish Footballer Sent Off For Farting During Match
“I had a bad stomach, so I simply let go,” the 25-year-old told Länstidningen Södertälje. “Then I received two yellow cards and then red. Yes, I was shocked, it’s the strangest thing I have ever experienced in football.

“I asked the referee, ‘What, am I not allowed to break wind a little?’ ‘No,’ he replied … I don’t get it but maybe he thought I farted in my hand and threw the fart at him. But I did not.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

… I don’t get it but maybe he thought I farted in my hand and threw the fart at him…”
Cristiano Ronaldo wrote:You can do that?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Do we need a Florida or Australia thread?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
Do we need a Florida or Australia thread?
No, but we do need a Digital Underground episode of "Scooby Doo".
Hey, Daphne, come here, are you ticklish?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Now turn the list over."

[turns list over, sees "fall 30 or more feet" as final item]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I went to that very zip-lining course about a year ago, and I was going to take my kids there to their newly-opened kids' course. I could see if she didn't lock herself correctly on the line, but it seemed relatively safe.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It says she fell from the platform, "waiting to go on the zip line." Are we sure she completed her bucket list? It sounds like she came up just short.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. It says she fell from the platform, "waiting to go on the zip line." Are we sure she completed her bucket list? It sounds like she came up just short.
Ah, she fell 30 feet. That was more exciting than the zip line anyway, so it counts.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. It says she fell from the platform, "waiting to go on the zip line." Are we sure she completed her bucket list? It sounds like she came up just short.
The daughter said she thinks the mother already went at least once. Kind of a weird FB post 3 hours after finding out her mother fell off a zipline platform.

Today, about 3 hours ago, I was told that my mother has died. Full of love and adventure, I am thankful to be her daughter. My mom died completing her bucket list, zip lining in Newark.
During this time, I seek to understand God's purpose. I want to take this opportunity to remind you that we never know when we are no longer on this earth. It is necessary to acknowledge that God gives us life through His son's sacrifice for our sins and by repenting, we are made new. By living a life for God, according to His Word, we are able to live eternally.
This is truly the hardest situation that I have ever faced. I ask for you prayers for my family. I would also like to ask for prayers as I learn how to make arrangements. Please hold your family close tonight and give God glory.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I did a zip line course for the first time when I was in TN earlier this summer. The guides gave off the air of fun and goofing around (and were probably a little reckless driving the van up the mountain /dad) but they were super serious with their on the course duties. We were never not attached to either a zip line or a line on a platform. Short of someone detaching themselves (or I guess an equipment failure) no one was going to fall.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I still am not sure how this happens. I have been to zip lines and high ropes courses at several places. The thing that I am impressed by is the safety features of the equipment. Unless the wires fail I could not figure how a regular donk would fall off (maybe come out of their harness). The carabiners are typically redundant with one always locked (unlocking one locks the others and the system forces you to stay connected).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Redundancy rules!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just want to add that zip-lining is awesome. Our experience in Colorado was a lot like what Sybian described. Very professional about the safety and making sure everyone understood what to do. We're going to do the one on Fremont St. next month.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

When we were in the UK this summer, we took a trip to Wales specifically to go to a place that is built inside of an old slate mine. They have built this huge trampoline complex down in the mines. They also have massive ziplines above the mines as well as a bunch down inside a few of the caverns underground. Yes, it was as awesome as it sounds. The name of the town? Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I think the chance of hurting oneself zip lining is very low. btw, We did a whole course of zip lines on the northwest corner of the big island of Hawaii a few years back. Spectacular views and highly recommended if you go there.

But, I've also done those treetops ladders/ropes/zipline courses a few times, and I think they are much more dangerous, even though they also have the redundant carabiner locks. First, because t's more of an athletic test, you get tired. Second,iIf you fall, you will be tethered and not die, but you will get a few good bonks against the trees.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote:Yeah, I think the chance of hurting oneself zip lining is very low. btw, We did a whole course of zip line rides on the northwest corner of the big island of Hawaii a few years back. Spectacular views and highly recommended if you go there.

But, I've also done those treetops ladders/ropes/zipline courses a few times, and I think they are much more dangerous, even though they also have the redundant carabiner locks. First, because t's more of an athletic test, you get tired. Second,iIf you fall, you will be tethered and not die, but you will get a few good bonks against the trees.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:Yeah, I think the chance of hurting oneself zip lining is very low. btw, We did a whole course of zip lines on the northwest corner of the big island of Hawaii a few years back. Spectacular views and highly recommended if you go there.

I haven't done this one yet, but on our list for our next trip out there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Yeah, I think the chance of hurting oneself zip lining is very low. btw, We did a whole course of zip lines on the northwest corner of the big island of Hawaii a few years back. Spectacular views and highly recommended if you go there.

I didn't know about that one. I'll have to checkout. Giff, you are a fountain of information now. I told my wife about that winery and it has been added to the list.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:
Giff wrote:

I didn't know about that one. I'll have to checkout. Giff, you are a fountain of information now. I told my wife about that winery and it has been added to the list.
May I suggest the clam and garlic slice at Pizza My Heart?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Dictionary getting bigger
Can't wait for my next scrabble game!
More words getting added

'Merica
YOLO
kegerator
Oompa Loompa
scrumdiddlyumptious
human bean
Fuhgeddaboudit
freemium
moobs
uptalk
Vom
Westminster bubble
non-appology
Squee

Full list here
http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/rec ... mber-2016/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson Hit in Face with Pie at Event, Assaults Protester in 'Bloody' Scene
Sources in attendance have told the Express that, during the meal, a protester ran at the mayor and threw a store-bought pie in his face.

A different witness said that the pie had whipped cream as a topping.

After this, the protester reportedly said something to Johnson. This prompted him to allegedly tackle the protester and punch him in the face "repeatedly," more than half a dozen times, landing "five to 10" blows.

One witness described it as a "bloody pulp." Other witnesses say that the pie-thrower was hit multiple times in the face and will definitely need stitches, and that there was visible blood.

Ambulances and fire department arrived at the scene....

...Sacramento Police released a statement that 32-year-old Sean Thompson was arrested for felony assault of a public official. SPD reported that "during the assault, the subject sustained a minor injury."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Truth is way stranger than fiction. That brief story is so bizarre on so many levels!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe with some swiss cheese and a nice rye.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote:Me too
Trust the process.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote:
Maybe with some swiss cheese and a nice rye.
Yup, they arrested someone..."A well-built Giant"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Spain.html
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"hobophobia"?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looks like I'll have to make an example out of my oldest when I pick her up from school.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Will A Trump Presidency Be Good For Golf?

From Golf Digest but still pretty funny.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

From the New Yorker.com
The Most Intimate Photograph
Photographers from Sally Mann to Nan Goldin owe a debt to Emmet Gowin’s piercing 1971 picture of his wife, Edith, peeing in a barn.