Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Post by Johnnie »

Is anyone else's city just inundated with coffee roasters as much as there are breweries? ABQ has a lot of both and new ones keep popping up all the time. I'm spoiled. Starbucks and Dunkin' (their rebranded name, btw) don't even make a blip on my radar.

And if anyone wants to try a New Mexico staple bag of coffee, look no further: https://nmpinoncoffee.com

Bright a bag home to my buddy in August and he's hooked.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A couple micros here but most of the good places are more based on sourcing some of the good majors like Counter Culture or La Columbe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm Is anyone else's city just inundated with coffee roasters as much as there are breweries? ABQ has a lot of both and new ones keep popping up all the time. I'm spoiled. Starbucks and Dunkin' (their rebranded name, btw) don't even make a blip on my radar.

And if anyone wants to try a New Mexico staple bag of coffee, look no further: https://nmpinoncoffee.com

Yes, and it's great. Although, very similar range in quality to craft breweries.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I didn't notice it when I first stepped into the 12 items or less line, and by the time I did I felt too invested to switch, but the guy in front of me had a full cart and ended up with 43 items scanned. He also couldn't figure out the card reader and popped his cart up on the curb rather than returning it to a pen.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Because of how watch sports/tv and listen to podcasts, I'm kind of immune or walled off from a lot of advertising.

Wendy's running the 4 for $4 right now..

Sandwich + 4 piece nuggs - fries - drink.

I left some fries in the bag (I always do these days) so it wasn't totally gross... Pretty awesome little lunch there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:19 pm I didn't notice it when I first stepped into the 12 items or less line, and by the time I did I felt too invested to switch, but the guy in front of me had a full cart and ended up with 43 items scanned. He also couldn't figure out the card reader and popped his cart up on the curb rather than returning it to a pen.
Two days ago, went to the store to buy a couple of things and got into the self-checkout line. Didn't notice the guy in front of me was buying a six-pack of beer, so we ended up waiting about 6-8 minutes for this guy to scan it and then wait for someone to come check his ID. He was pissed he had to wait and snapped at the clerk who helped him, which is really shitty because he's the dipshit who bought alcohol in a self-checkout line.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm And if anyone wants to try a New Mexico staple bag of coffee, look no further: https://nmpinoncoffee.com

They sell this at the Costcos here in CO. I'm a big fan of Dean's Beans out of MA
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Read a great story recently about a street food vendor in Bangkok who was given a Michelin star and tried to give it back to prevent so many people from visiting her stall.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wasn't there a story posted here about how a place got rated best burger and closed because they couldn't handle the demand?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:50 am Wasn't there a story posted here about how a place got rated best burger and closed because they couldn't handle the demand?
Yeah, I posted that. I think the Bangkok story was either referenced in that one or someone else posted it because it sounded similar.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm toooooootally ok with that (although maybe 5:00 is too early from the restaurant's perspective). Our neighborhood spot when Q was born didn't change, we just went from being third turn into being first turn with all the other new parents.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Cook Out, North Carolina's answer to the criminally overrated In N Out Burger.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article ... food-chain
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It is possible for there to be more than one great burger joint. Step off with any "criminally overrated" nonsense.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

... unless you're talking about 5 Guys. Which is pretty much shit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm ... unless you're talking about 5 Guys. Which is pretty much shit.
I suppose though I still think at worst it's alright. As far as "overrating" goes I don't see much hype for Five Guys these days (or what you do see seems to be about the same as joints like Smashburger or Fatburger) so I'd argue it's probably "rated" about right.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If we're talking about underrated places I'd list Whataburger, Steak N' Shake and yes Cook Out though CO being only in North Carolina means it's understandable few people talk about it when listing great chain burger joints.

I think In N Out is rated just fine. It's about the best -- if not THE best $3 burger you can buy in this country.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think Five Guys is fine. Had Smashburger for the first time over the holidays and definitely like Five Guys better, from burger to fries to soda machine.

I wanted to try Cook Out when we were in The South in the summer of 2017 but the line was too long and we ended up at the relatively empty Zaxby's the next lot over.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm ... unless you're talking about 5 Guys. Which is pretty much shit.
I suppose though I still think at worst it's alright. As far as "overrating" goes I don't see much hype for Five Guys these days (or what you do see seems to be about the same as joints like Smashburger or Fatburger) so I'd argue it's probably "rated" about right.
The only hype I've ever heard about Smashburger is from my daughter. Smash and Five Guys are probably the only fast food burgers she's ever had, and she wasn't all that excited about Five Guys, which of course means my son preferred Five Guys and they fight over it. It was never a conscious boycott, but my kids have never eaten McDonald's, BK, Wendy's or any of the old school fast food places.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I rarely ever eat fast food, but if I do, I prefer In-n-Out over the others. My daughter is a Taco Bell fan, and occasionally drags me there, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Best thing about 5 guys is peanuts and well they're peanuts. Terribly overpriced also. Cookout lines move quick. Quicker than Chick-fil-A and they move it along. Kids not having ever eaten regular fast food is just plain odd. My kids have gotten old enough to enjoy more expensive fast food tastes (ie Chick-fil-A) but a McDonald's cheeseburger at five might as well have been heaven in a wrapper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm of the same mindset as Brian. There can be multiple decent burger joints.

Whether In N Out, Shake Shack, Steak & Shake, Smash Burger, Five Guys, Freddy's or whoever, each has their merits. (Though the 2 times I've been to Five Guys here they've been terrible and they don't have green chile.)

Blake's Lotaburger, the regional chain here, is also quite good. That's my go-to spot.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm If we're talking about underrated places I'd list Whataburger, Steak N' Shake and yes Cook Out though CO being only in North Carolina means it's understandable few people talk about it when listing great chain burger joints.

I think In N Out is rated just fine. It's about the best -- if not THE best $3 burger you can buy in this country.
Cookout is not Nc only. There is one in Lexington and I’ve seen them scattered around Kentucky.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:12 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm If we're talking about underrated places I'd list Whataburger, Steak N' Shake and yes Cook Out though CO being only in North Carolina means it's understandable few people talk about it when listing great chain burger joints.

Cookout is not Nc only. There is one in Lexington and I’ve seen them scattered around Kentucky.
I stand corrected then. But they're certainly not as widespread as most places.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I should invite you to our local Facebook restaurant group page and you'll see just how wrong you are about the first place on your list.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:51 pm
Blake's Lotaburger, the regional chain here, is also quite good. That's my go-to spot.
It's OK.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:12 pm

The one time I had it was in Knoxville. IIRC, the menu was something to behold and I found myself wishing I had time to try a lot of stuff.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, didn't realize I'd started a thing. Shoulda guessed, given the topic.

I should clarify that with In-N-Out's crazy reputation, I think "criminally overrated" left plenty of room for it to still be good. And I think it is. It's just not any better than most of the other good burger chains you guys listed.

Mr D's hatred for Five Guys is odd to me. Must have gotten a bad one. I'd say it's probably the best burger of the ones I've seen listed here. Overpriced though. Cook Out's burgers aren't quite as good as Five Guys, or probably In-N-Out, but their shakes are great and the rest of the huge menu offers a lot of good choices.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bad three. I didn't like it, then I stopped again on a drive and it was really bad and then I gave the local one a final chance. Three different locations, all sucked.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't even know, man. You must have eaten some damn fine burgers in your life.

ETA: I'm gonna go get a five guys burger now.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am I don't even know, man. You must have eaten some damn fine burgers in your life.

Says the guy who liked Domino's Pizza on Facebook, causing them to pop into my feed...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Asshole Power Rankings: Fast Food Edition

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I am with mister d on Five Guys. Granted I only had it once, but didn't put me in a hurry to try again with other options available.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I haven't had a fast food burger in a long time. 3-4 years maybe.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:49 am
A_B wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am I don't even know, man. You must have eaten some damn fine burgers in your life.

Says the guy who liked Domino's Pizza on Facebook, causing them to pop into my feed...
Wow. I don't even remember doing that, so it must have been some discount or something. Rectified, and I am actually terrible sorry because I try not to click on those things. I have dishonored your timeline, truly.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I just figured Kentucky pizza laws required declaring as a Papa John’s or a Domino’s.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Update: DELICIOUS.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

But did you get the peanuts! And is it ok to just throw the shells on the ground when your done? Cause thats about the best thing with peanuts. And they use to let us do that at some steak chain maybe 10-15 years ago.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm But did you get the peanuts! And is it ok to just throw the shells on the ground when your done? Cause thats about the best thing with peanuts. And they use to let us do that at some steak chain maybe 10-15 years ago.
I did have some peanuts while i waited, but I just put the shells in one of the little trays they have instead of on the floor. However, a fairly decent amount of peanut detritus ended up on the floor.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing I love more than peanuts and burgers.