Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:59 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:30 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm Antraniks was one of a kind. Obviously I visit old world bakeries and delis up here in Baltimore, but...damn Temple Terrace had themselves a legend in Antraniks.

(phyllo is so much healthier compared to puff pastries, too.)
Old World Cheese Shop and Mr. Dunderbak's as well.
At the University Mall! Damn dude. I haven't thought about that place in a long time. They moved though, right?
Yep, they're up Bruce B. Downs towards New Tampa, not that far north of the USF golf course. The ambience is a little different, but still a really good time.
The Claw.

I haven't played that course in um...30 years? Jeez. Did Dunderbaks move into the strip mall where it replaced giant sports bar that used to anchor the place?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:02 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:59 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:30 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm Antraniks was one of a kind. Obviously I visit old world bakeries and delis up here in Baltimore, but...damn Temple Terrace had themselves a legend in Antraniks.

(phyllo is so much healthier compared to puff pastries, too.)
Old World Cheese Shop and Mr. Dunderbak's as well.
At the University Mall! Damn dude. I haven't thought about that place in a long time. They moved though, right?
Yep, they're up Bruce B. Downs towards New Tampa, not that far north of the USF golf course. The ambience is a little different, but still a really good time.
The Claw.

I haven't played that course in um...30 years? Jeez. Did Dunderbaks move into the strip mall where it replaced giant sports bar that used to anchor the place?
I think so. it's right in the middle of the strip mall, and if you take those back roads north from the Claw, you aren't on Bruce B. Downs very long before you get to the strip mall on the right side of the road. It's just before Tampa Palms.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hey guys, the hyper-local private conversations is for NJ related things only.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:19 pm Hey guys, the hyper-local private conversations is for NJ related things only.
Can probably get better phyllo-based desserts in Paterson anyway
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:22 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:19 pm Hey guys, the hyper-local private conversations is for NJ related things only.
Can probably get better phyllo-based desserts in Paterson anyway
No doubt. Patterson is a hidden gem of culinary delights, with the added adrenaline rush of putting your life at risk. So many great Peruvian and Arabic takeout spots.
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 am Loved Little Caesar's in HS (crazy bread!), and there is one a couple of towns away and I've debated seeing how it holds up but it's far enough away to be a pain in the ass to drive to at dinner time and we have a local place we like all but at the end of the block, so...

c/serrano and I ate so much Domino's one summer while we were staying on campus between semesters ($5 mediums, I think?) that we're probably both still wearing it.
I’m ignoring the second graph. Where’s that Little Caesars?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Little ceasars is the LCD. It isn’t “good” buts cheap and ready fast. And theres one between my office and house.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Megawatt
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Megawatt »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm Little ceasars is the LCD. It isn’t “good” buts cheap and ready fast. And theres one between my office and house.
We tried Pizza Hut’s new “Detroit style” tonight. It was fine if you also enjoy their traditional pan pizza but didn’t think it there was much difference when it comes to taste
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

serrano wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:02 pm
rass wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 am Loved Little Caesar's in HS (crazy bread!), and there is one a couple of towns away and I've debated seeing how it holds up but it's far enough away to be a pain in the ass to drive to at dinner time and we have a local place we like all but at the end of the block, so...

c/serrano and I ate so much Domino's one summer while we were staying on campus between semesters ($5 mediums, I think?) that we're probably both still wearing it.
I’m ignoring the second graph. Where’s that Little Caesars?
On Westfield Ave in Roselle Park
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Megawatt wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:04 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm Little ceasars is the LCD. It isn’t “good” buts cheap and ready fast. And theres one between my office and house.
We tried Pizza Hut’s new “Detroit style” tonight. It was fine if you also enjoy their traditional pan pizza but didn’t think it there was much difference when it comes to taste
I have never heard of Detroit-style pizza, but it sounds exactly like a local place in my hometown. They were good for parties, because they made huge rectangle pizzas with square slices. Sort of like Sicilian, but thinner and with a crispy crust.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Detroit Style is pretty thick square pan pizza.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:06 am Detroit Style is pretty thick square pan pizza.
With sauce on top.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 amI have never heard of Detroit-style pizza, but it sounds exactly like a local place in my hometown. They were good for parties, because they made huge rectangle pizzas with square slices. Sort of like Sicilian, but thinner and with a crispy crust.
Was just talking about this last week in a very similar way. Also haven't had it, but I assume its a good version of a specific type of pizza in Wilkes-Barre.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The second to last time I was in NYC, late January 2020, I got some late-night almost drunk pizza at the East Village location of this place.

I liked it but I'm pretty sure Hood* messaged me to tell me it was suboptimal...

I still think the name is pretty great.

ETA: photo
F64192DB-E8BB-4A2F-B15B-8DBE04C8309D.jpeg
F64192DB-E8BB-4A2F-B15B-8DBE04C8309D.jpeg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Tell ya what... Spent the formative years of my life in MI, had not heard of Detroit-style pizza until this thread.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:30 am The second to last time I was in NYC, late January 2020, I got some late-night almost drunk pizza at the East Village location of this place.

I liked it but I'm pretty sure Hood* messaged me to tell me it was suboptimal...

I still think the name is pretty great.

ETA: photo

F64192DB-E8BB-4A2F-B15B-8DBE04C8309D.jpeg
I remember you mentioning this place, so I must have heard about Detroit pizza at some point. My memory is fading...
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 am
Why would you take the word of young Jack Napier in the 80's "Batman" movie?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Denver has a Detroit style place called Blue Pan that is hands down the best pizza I’ve ever had. The key is a high gluten flour so the crust while thick is incredibly light and burnt cheese around the edges. Couple dudes from MI opened it about 6-7 years ago and their business has been gangbusters ever since.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 am Mad & Cheese Burger Hits Japan

Good lord...

I'd say "inject that directly into my veins" but I think that's what'd actually happen if you ate one.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

See, to me, when a burger is presented like that, I'm mostly annoyed by how annoying the actual dining process is going to go. When you've got to either wear half of the sandwich on your face, or just throw in the towel and deconstruct it or use a knife and fork... That's not a good burger!

One of my biggest dining pet peeves, really. If you go in with a starting point of deconstruction/knife and fork, it's really not a burger anymore.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Might be more manageable if they loaded the toppings evenly rather than push them all towards the camera-facing side.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There was a food truck here a bunch of years ago (at the beginning of the food truck craze) that made awesome Detroit-style pizza. I'd never heard of that as a style, but it was good. As someone mentioned, the hard-cooked cheese on the edges was awesome.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We have a good pizza place in our town that labels itself as New Haven-style pizza. It's pretty tasty, and even got a nice review in the SF Chronicle. Fits this description:
wiki wrote:What makes New Haven-style pizza distinct is its thin, oblong crust, characteristic charring, chewy texture, and limited use of melting cheeses. It tends to be drier and thinner than, but closely related to, traditional New York-style pizza. Both styles in turn are close descendants of the original Neapolitan style...New Haven-style pizza is traditionally baked in a coal-fired oven at extremely hot temperatures above 650 °F (343 °C). It is sold whole rather than by the slice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't know that Detroit style pizza was a thing until Brian mentioned something about Mike Illich making Little Caesars a national chain and bringing it to the masses.

From my recollection as a kid loving the hell out of that pizza however, it never struck me as "Detroit style" or marketed in any such way. I could be wrong though.

A couple years back I ran Ragnar Niagara with some friends and we stopped at this place in Toronto:

Outstanding pizza place that boldly advertises "Detroit style" pizza on their sign.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not really fast food but DC restaurant news. The new Guy Fieri Flavortown Kitchen is actually a ghost kitchen in the Dupont Circle Buco Di Bepo
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Finally found a close enough Detroit style place (Blue Steel in Bloomfield) so the plan is to pick it up tonight. In theory, it sounds great just by adding some texture.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:00 am Finally found a close enough Detroit style place (Blue Steel in Bloomfield) so the plan is to pick it up tonight. In theory, it sounds great just by adding some texture.
Wow, their website is enticing. I want the ricotta and sausage with cherry pepper relish.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:56 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:00 am Finally found a close enough Detroit style place (Blue Steel in Bloomfield) so the plan is to pick it up tonight. In theory, it sounds great just by adding some texture.
Wow, their website is enticing. I want the ricotta and sausage with cherry pepper relish.
Those all look awesome. I can’t wait to eat again.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been Saltine-ing For 21 (hours)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think we're going to order three and freeze leftovers. If this works out, it could cause trips to Montclair to become triangular.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm I think we're going to order three and freeze leftovers. If this works out, it could cause trips to Montclair to become triangular.
Verdict?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Really good but I have nothing to compare it to so I have no idea how authentic. If I’m guessing, it’s fancier than true Detroit style, like if you tried Roberta’s for “NY style” pizza?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Make your own!

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:58 pm Really good but I have nothing to compare it to so I have no idea how authentic. If I’m guessing, it’s fancier than true Detroit style, like if you tried Roberta’s for “NY style” pizza?
Definitely looked awesome and authentic. The real Detroit pizza heads will tell you the pans are critical. Pizza Rock in Vegas gets their Detroit style pizzas pans for their Detroit Red Top imported from Detroit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did you just order day of?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure did. Classic for the kids and then a pepperoni/banana pepper and a white/leeks for us. Pepperoni was the clear winner. I love white pizzas but the bechamel was way too heavy handed for my liking. If/when we get it again, we'll probably get the white clam and ask them to skip the sauce.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Also super curious to know if "can you get this pizza the same day" is a thing elsewhere. I had the same worry and called around 1:00 to ask. Been shut out of Arturo's too many times to take that sort of risk.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There was a place at the shore that I loved that used to schedule pickups and only had so many slots a day (they never reopened last year, sad face).

When I checked BS’ site it seemed like it might be the same thing, so I was being careful by asking. Gonna shoot for Friday.

Glad to hear that about the pepperoni since the rest of the house is observing lent and I’ll be observing my birthday weekend and won’t give a crap about what and how much I shovel into my face.