Post by Ryan »

Thank God for outliers.

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Re: Five Thirty Eight

Post by brian »

I wonder how exactly religiously diverse New Hampshire really is. Are they counting like 15 different kinds of Protestantism?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote:I wonder how exactly religiously diverse New Hampshire really is. Are they counting like 15 different kinds of Protestantism?
They're counting all the people in Portsmouth who invented a new religion.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Bikesharianism

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:I wonder how exactly religiously diverse New Hampshire really is. Are they counting like 15 different kinds of Protestantism?
I'm so interested in understanding the causation here. It could be confirmation bias, if the majority of your friends and neighbors share your religion, you are in a bit of a reaffirmation bubble, and if they consider themselves "very religious" and attend church, you are more likely to try to fit in. Sort of related, does being exposed to a lot of different religions softens your religiosity? Or do people of "diverse" religions avoid living among Southern bigots... er, people with strongly held beliefs without much diversity. Maybe because godless heathens and those unenlightened "other religions" flock together? I'd also like to see this compared to education levels.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A Pew survey showed that the religious affiliations of the people of New Hampshire was as follows: Protestant 34%, Catholic 29%, LDS (Mormon) 1%, Jewish 1%, Jehovah's Witness 0.5%, Muslim 0.5%, Buddhist 1%, Hindu 0.5% and non-religious at 26%.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure on what planet that is "diverse".
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The planet where items are presented as relative to one another rather than absolute.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:Not sure on what planet that is "diverse".
Compared to the rest of the states it is pretty diverse.

According to 2010 census data the most diverse regions are New England and the far west.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, I would have known that had I resided in a state as religiously diverse as New Hampshire I suppose. When I think of states representing the different religions and cultures that comprise our great American melting pot, one of the first that immediately springs to mind is "New Hampshire".
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It looks like it really is measuring the religious diversity of respondents' social networks - not necessarily the diversity of the state. Assuming folks in New Hampshire know people in other states, then that diversity doesn't have to belong to New Hampshire.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:It looks like it really is measuring the religious diversity of respondents' social networks - not necessarily the diversity of the state. Assuming folks in New Hampshire know people in other states, then that diversity doesn't have to belong to New Hampshire.
That would make a lot more sense.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote:It looks like it really is measuring the religious diversity of respondents' social networks - not necessarily the diversity of the state. Assuming folks in New Hampshire know people in other states, then that diversity doesn't have to belong to New Hampshire.
It's almost impossible to figure out what's being measured here, but I think that's a secondary piece of data not reflected in the basic chart. I believe this is the site where religious diversity was tracked, and it's strictly a "what religion are you" answer.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And in New Hampshire, a couple of friends working together can skew the entire project.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Off the top of my head I wouldn't have through this was so infrequent. And it probably won't be as long as we have Thursday night games throughout the NFL season.

With nine NHL games, three NBA games, an NFL game and an MLB playoff game — made possible by the Chicago Cubs’ victory in Game 4 of the NLCS on Wednesday — Thursday is your (first) sports equinox of 2017.

What’s a sports equinox? As my former colleague Reuben Fischer-Baum wrote on a couple of occasions, it’s when all four major U.S. sports leagues — the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB — play at least one game on the same day. Historically speaking, it doesn’t happen often. There have only been 17 sports equinoxes in history, including Thursday:
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The extension of the MLB playoffs is a factor too. Until at least the 90s I think it was impossible to have a MLB playoff game (even the World Series) before the NBA season started.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The NBA didn't start until Halloween week until this year

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I specifically remember the two from 2001, as I was flipping channels furiously. Game 7 of the World Series was the same night some guy on the Jets grabbed Aaron Brooks' facemask and spun it around like the girl in the Exorcist, leading to Kyle Turley to rip that dude's helmet off and shot put it. I can remember that since it was also sweeps month in November back in the day, there was some good stuff on other channels, including a telemovie about the Warsaw ghetto uprising starring Hank Azaria on ABC I believe.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Now this is a good use of advanced stats and tech:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Figured the bump of the thread was about this:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.