wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Coffee Thread, The

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6 wrote:....don't like hearing this news.
http://www.businessinsider.com/coffee-s ... and-2016-2

Seems inevitable. I see specialty coffee shops everywhere I live. And I can only assume it's like that every place else. Since coming back from overseas, specialty coffee and microbrew beer places are common as ever. (Not that I'm complaining in the least.)

Also, this belongs in this thread. I'm sure I mentioned Black Rifle Coffee before. Well their founder, Evan Hafer, had a Reddit AMA semi recently. He got OWNED by a commenter in it. It's glorious. He was owned so bad that he deleted everything -- even the blog post that reads like something from Breitbart. Google cached version of blog post

(After the Keurig thing, Hannity and Trump Jr. approved of it.)

http://reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7bufb ... or/dpkt5v6
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The kids decided they wanted to take baths over the weekend and one of them filled the tub with too much water and it sloshed out and somehow found a crevice that allowed it to leak into the kitchen below and got my coffee pot wet with bath-bombed bath water so it ended up in the sink and then at some point my wife dropped something on it and broke it and my replacement isn't here yet so now I have to drive out in blizzard like conditions (but to be fair very little actual snow on the ground) to buy a cup of coffee since I've decided to work from home today.

ETA - I made it, thanks
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could have used the little basket from your coffee maker over a coffee cup and done pour over yourself.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I still could...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also, TJs has a bourbon barrel aged whole bean right now which I bought (notes of boysenberry and butterscotch!!!) but have yet to try. Maybe this weekend when my parents are here so I can force my dad to try it, too (if my new coffee maker gets here).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:The kids decided they wanted to take baths over the weekend and one of them filled the tub with too much water and it sloshed out and somehow found a crevice that allowed it to leak into the kitchen below and got my coffee pot wet with bath-bombed bath water so it ended up in the sink and then at some point my wife dropped something on it and broke it and my replacement isn't here yet so now I have to drive out in blizzard like conditions (but to be fair very little actual snow on the ground) to buy a cup of coffee since I've decided to work from home today.

ETA - I made it, thanks

Damn. That sounds painful. The kind of little shit that drives a guy nuts.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am Also, TJs has a bourbon barrel aged whole bean right now which I bought (notes of boysenberry and butterscotch!!!) but have yet to try. Maybe this weekend when my parents are here so I can force my dad to try it, too (if my new coffee maker gets here).
This was...interesting?

I was little worried while brewing it, as the non-coffee smell was pretty strong and I thought it was just going to be a flavored coffee. It was more subtle as a finished product, and kept tricking my tongue into thinking I was drinking a spiked coffee. I don't think I would drink it every day, but once a week (on one of the two days I actually brew my own coffee at home), sure.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Did you grind fresh or at the store?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fresh (I bought a manual burr grinder when I got the new coffee maker, fun).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My current deployed living quarters (in the background on the right) is next to the 24/7 coffee place. It's nice.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-dri ... 1516795200

For those who can't WSJ
Title--If You Drink Coffee in California, Be Warned: It May Cause Cancer
subtitle--Judge is expected to rule whether 1986 state law, meant to warn of potential harms, applies to coffee
WSJ wrote: LOS ANGELES—A California court case could turn every cup of coffee here into a jolt of reality on the risks of cancer.

Under a state law, cancer warnings already follow Californians when they enter the lobby of apartment buildings, drive into parking garages and sit down at restaurants. They also pop up on products including kitty litter, ceramic plates and black licorice.

Now, a state judge in Los Angeles is expected to rule in the coming months whether coffee should be labeled as carcinogenic under the three-decade old law, which is meant to warn Californians of potential harms.

“They should just put the label inside my door so I see it when I leave the apartment in the morning,” said doctoral student Steve Haring, who moved to Northern California from Virginia in August. “It’s literally everywhere.”

A posted Proposition 65 warning sign at a Starbucks shop in Los Angeles.
A posted Proposition 65 warning sign at a Starbucks shop in Los Angeles. PHOTO: RICHARD VOGEL/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Coffee is on the hot seat because of the presence of acrylamide, a flavorless chemical produced during the roasting process.

Acrylamide is one of more than 900 chemicals on a list of those known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Businesses must warn about the presence of any of the chemicals under the law, known as Proposition 65.

The chemical, used for industrial processes like making paper and dyes, is also created during the cooking process for many baked and fried foods, including potato chips, bread and french fries.

“So the only thing safe is boiled or steamed food? That’s ridiculous,” said Warren Fong, a retired oncologist in Orange County, Calif., who said he believes Proposition 65 warnings have become useless. “You don’t scream warnings at people when the risk is really low and can’t change behaviors.”

Proponents say the law has kept consumers better informed and led to the reduction of chemicals in many products such as cadmium in jewelry and lead in baby powders.

READ MORE
Tea Turns Up Temperature in Fight Against Coffee (Nov. 13, 2017)
Enjoy That Cup of Coffee! Your Total Comes to $55 (Oct. 16, 2017)
The coffee case has been brewing since 2010, when Southern California-based nonprofit Council for Education and Research on Toxics, backed by attorney Raphael Metzger, sued dozens of coffee sellers and manufacturers. The coffee defendants, including Starbucks and Keurig Green Mountain, argue the trace amounts of acrylamide in coffee are harmless and outweighed by the health benefits of the drink.

A Starbucks spokeswoman declined to comment. Keurig didn’t respond to requests for comment.

After losing a first phase of the case a few years ago, the coffee companies made their final defense in a bench trial in the fall, arguing the level of acrylamide in coffee should qualify as safe under a limited exception to Proposition 65 for chemicals produced by cooking necessary to make food palatable.

David Kessler, the former head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, testified for the defense that coffee is a “staple of the American diet” with known health benefits that should be regulated carefully.

Coffee contains acrylamide, a flavorless chemical produced during the roasting process and one of more than 900 chemicals on a list of those known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Coffee contains acrylamide, a flavorless chemical produced during the roasting process and one of more than 900 chemicals on a list of those known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. PHOTO: ARI PERILSTEIN/GETTY IMAGES FOR LAVAZZA
Putting a cancer label on coffee, Mr. Kessler testified, could drive people to get caffeine from arguably less safe sources like soda or caffeine shots.

An expert for the plaintiffs argued that technology can reduce acrylamide levels in coffee while still keeping an acceptable flavor.

A few defendants have bowed out, including 7-Eleven, which agreed late last year to pay $900,000 and put up the warning in its stores. Others, including Starbucks, have hung up Proposition 65 signs near the cream and sugar station as a response to the litigation but could be forced to display the signs more prominently or directly on coffee products—and pay hefty fines.

Mr. Metzger filed his first acrylamide lawsuit in 2002, soon after Swedish scientists first discovered its presence in food. A suit against the fast-food industry and snack makers, jointly prosecuted by the California Attorney General, led to warning labels on french fries and reduced acrylamide levels in potato chips.

The cancer warnings have proliferated in California since 1986, when voters approved the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act to keep unsafe chemicals out of the water supply and warn residents of the presence of danger elsewhere. The measure passed with 63% of the vote.

The statute allows any private citizen to sue over an alleged violation. Last year, 681 settlements worth $25.6 million were reported to the California attorney general’s office. Attorneys’ fees and costs made up more than 75% of the total. Attorneys have lobbed other acrylamide-related complaints in the past year against prune juice, potato bread and ginger snap cookies.

The warnings have angered other states that say their residents and businesses are affected because it isn’t often feasible to create different labels just for California.

“When disclosures become the rule, not the exception, consumers tend to ignore them,” Republican Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley said in a recent court brief, joined by attorneys general in 10 other states, arguing against the possible listing of a popular crop herbicide called glyphosate. “An otherwise useful tool becomes transformed into nothing more than irritating ambient noise.”

Many California residents say they see no reason to change their behavior because of the warnings.

“Where are you going to go to escape the signs?” said Helena Hamilton, a 53-year-old healthcare technology programmer in the San Francisco Bay Area. “I’m totally immune to it at this point.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Just had my first ever cold brewed coffee.. You guys, I am not trying to be hyperbolic, but this is absolutely the worst friggin coffee I've ever had.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am Just had my first ever cold brewed coffee.. You guys, I am not trying to be hyperbolic, but this is absolutely the worst friggin coffee I've ever had.
I generally agree. However, when nitro poured it is very good. Makes no sense.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am Just had my first ever cold brewed coffee.. You guys, I am not trying to be hyperbolic, but this is absolutely the worst friggin coffee I've ever had.
I'm with you. Ain't broke don't fix it. Grind beans fresh, use right temperature water, keep coffee making apparatus clean. The rest is fluff.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, that's too much work.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm fasting for a physical and would be happy with some cold brew, AB.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was it from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Both are undrinkable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am Was it from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Both are undrinkable.
Actually store bought Stumptown.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That should have been better than my two but its still not great. Before you write it off forever, give a good coffee shop version of cold brew (not iced coffee) a shot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Why go with the lesser version if the better version is available? A couple years ago in Hawaii (Kona), we did a tour of a coffee plantation, ending with a tasting at the end. Those folks were passionate about the positive effect of near=boiling hot water on the freshly ground coffee. Convinced me.

I sometimes drink cold coffee in the afternoon and it's fine, but it's just regular hot brew that was leftover from the morning, and put in the fridge.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:21 am Why go with the lesser version if the better version is available? A couple years ago in Hawaii (Kona), we did a tour of a coffee plantation, ending with a tasting at the end. Those folks were passionate about the positive effect of near=boiling hot water on the freshly ground coffee. Convinced me.

I sometimes drink cold coffee in the afternoon and it's fine, but it's just regular hot brew that was leftover from the morning, and put in the fridge.
100 percent Kona coffee is amazing, even at $20+ a pound. The 10 percent Kona blend you see everywhere else is a waste of coffee.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife needs coffee, but won't drink it hot. For years I was either making a single-serving and putting it in the freezer before I left for work, or brewing 2 or 3 cups worth and putting it in the fridge so she would have coffee for a couple of days.

Bought her this last year and she really likes the coffee.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Or, you know, 7-11 has refills for a buck.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 am
mister d wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am Was it from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Both are undrinkable.
Actually store bought Stumptown.
I tried that recently and it sucks. And it's not cheap either.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 am C'mon people.
I just re-read this and it is an interesting article. So, I am going to try cold brew the way it is suggested, here. I'll put 1 part coffee to 4 parts water in my french press and leave it overnight. Then press out the solids in the morning and try it out. I've never done it this way before, and will report back with my impressions. I'm sure you will all be desperately waiting.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, the much anticipated review has arrived. It is a different taste. Stronger coffee - like eating a spoonful of ground coffee - you can really taste the flavor. And, easier to drink it black. But, I miss the heat, and re-heating isn't the same. So, it's regular hot brew for me from now on.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 am Well, the much anticipated review has arrived. It is a different taste. Stronger coffee - like eating a spoonful of ground coffee - you can really taste the flavor. And, easier to drink it black. But, I miss the heat, and re-heating isn't the same. So, it's regular hot brew for me from now on.
Did you put it on ice or drink it straight? I think the general cold brew approach is to make a stronger brew so when you add ice it gets watered down to a more palatable level.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 am Well, the much anticipated review has arrived. It is a different taste. Stronger coffee - like eating a spoonful of ground coffee - you can really taste the flavor. And, easier to drink it black. But, I miss the heat, and re-heating isn't the same. So, it's regular hot brew for me from now on.
Did you put it on ice or drink it straight? I think the general cold brew approach is to make a stronger brew so when you add ice it gets watered down to a more palatable level.
I guess that makes sense. I just drank it straight. I didn't mind the strength so much as I missed the sensation of hot coffee. I can see how it would work on ice, if that's one's preference.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

PDX have you been to the coffee shop next to Mountain Sun that only does cold brew?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:34 am
PDX have you been to the coffee shop next to Mountain Sun that only does cold brew?
Yeah I go to The Cup quite a bit. Their nitro is balls.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good nitro is the best. Bad nitro is a horror show.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 am Good nitro is the best. Bad nitro is a horror show.
Boulder basically has to do good Nitro or they ride you out of town on the fixie.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

While waiting for the coffee to brew this morning, this catchy jingle flooded into my sleep-deprived brain...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Love me some Bottle Rockets. Those guys are good live.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I figure this is the right thread. I made this from scrap wood leftover from my kitchen remodel. I have another piece for the area up top, but I have no idea where I can get stenciling done with some witty quote like "Have a coffee, bitch." written in some classy font.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:13 pm I figure this is the right thread. I made this from scrap wood leftover from my kitchen remodel. I have another piece for the area up top, but I have no idea where I can get stenciling done with some witty quote like "Have a coffee, bitch." written in some classy font.

Just google custom vinyl wall lettering and I bet you get 10 good sites immediately.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Huh. Nice. Thanks, AB.