P.D.X.
The Dude

Coffee Thread, The

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Coffee Thread, The

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They mislabeled Friendlys as "Germany"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

How do you typically get/take it?

I'm French Press with a touch of cream.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Cafe Con Miel and Ca Phe Da sound delicious.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote:How do you typically get/take it?

I'm French Press with a touch of cream.
Black, preferably lukewarm. If it's really hot I'll add an ice cube to it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo, if you are in Boston again there is a coffee shop in Davis Sq. called Diesel. By far my favourite lesbian coffee shop. They have a FANTASTIC Vietnamese coffee that's great hot or cold.

Yuanyang looks very interesting, I like Turkish and Greek coffee..well hell I like coffee as long as it's not weak.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Americano; 2 shots, ~8 oz of water, a dash of cinnamon and cocoa if I'm feeling frisky.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Black.

Love french press but I'm too lazy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Coffee concentrate, milk, protein powder.

Yeah, I know.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote:Americano; 2 shots,
Why ruin a good shot of espresso?

(I do add cinnamon quite a bit.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've always preferred French Press, but the wife has always preferred drip. Then, we received a Keurig single cup maker for Christmas. So, now, generally, I grind some fresh coffee beans and load it in the do-it-yourself Keurig pod, rather than using the pre-packaged pods. My way results in a cup that tastes a lot like French press, without having to boil any water. One of the local coffee shops roasts their own beans and they are great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:One of the local coffee shops roasts their own beans and they are great.

Place here that roasts their own and does cold brewed coffee. It's excellent.

I actually do the cold brew route in the press, unless I forget to put the grounds in water the night before. The coffee is fantastic, even with a lesser bean.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Grind it. snort it. Much faster way to get the caffeine into your blood stream.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Grind it. snort it. Much faster way to get the caffeine into your blood stream.
Go full bean bro.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Since I'm usually drinking at work: black, slightly stronger than tap water, and just a bit warmer than pee.

At home as dark and strong as I can make it. :)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I usually do black, if I getting drip. If I'm doing espresso I like a double tall vanilla non-fat. And sometimes a decaf cappuccino after a nice dinner out somewhere.

In Australia I would get the "flat white"...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Black eye, bold. Two sugar (full leaded brown paper variety). Hold the cream and other fancy shit for someone else.
oh shit...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I usually do black, if I getting drip. If I'm doing espresso I like a double tall vanilla non-fat. And sometimes a decaf cappuccino after a nice dinner out somewhere.

In Australia I would get the "flat white"...
What does "flat white" mean? Lots of cream, no sugar?

ETA: never mind - found it on the chart up above.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:Since I'm usually drinking at work: black, slightly stronger than tap water, and just a bit warmer than pee.

Read the first phrase forgetting which thread I was in. I am on board, but I try to avoid the Keurig machine at work. The Jetfuel is my k-cup choice when necessary. Strong, but tastes shitty.

On a side rant, why do grocery stores keep reducing their whole bean selections for more ground? Do people not grind their own? All grocery stores used to have the big grinding machines and sell mostly whole bean, now it is dwindling, and typically only French roast in whole bean. Really pisses me off, as I have a hard time getting to a bean roastery. Ahhre's FTW!
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:Since I'm usually drinking at work: black, slightly stronger than tap water, and just a bit warmer than pee.

Read the first phrase forgetting which thread I was in. I am on board, but I try to avoid the Keurig machine at work. The Jetfuel is my k-cup choice when necessary. Strong, but tastes shitty.

On a side rant, why do grocery stores keep reducing their whole bean selections for more ground? Do people not grind their own? All grocery stores used to have the big grinding machines and sell mostly whole bean, now it is dwindling, and typically only French roast in whole bean. Really pisses me off, as I have a hard time getting to a bean roastery. Ahhre's FTW!
I've noticed that too. I need to start grinding my own beans. But since I "brew" it a pound at a time, I just use the CostCo stuff and it's very good, especially for the price.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

I've noticed that too. I need to start grinding my own beans. But since I "brew" it a pound at a time, I just use the CostCo stuff and it's very good, especially for the price.
How do you brew a pound at a time?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

How do you brew a pound at a time?
This system. I love it, and I have coffee on-demand whenever I want.

ETA: I use the double method, so I let it sit once, drain, fill it up with water again, and drain and combine. I have two of the containers, so I get two full ones and depending on strength/frequency, I get 2-3 weeks out of it. (I also drink my coffee REALLY strong.)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My drip coffee maker is about to die, and I'm thinking about buying a pour-over brewer because I think the guy from Dangerous Grounds said it's the best home method of making coffee. Anyone do this or have recommendations of what to buy?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote:My drip coffee maker is about to die, and I'm thinking about buying a pour-over brewer because I think the guy from Dangerous Grounds said it's the best home method of making coffee. Anyone do this or have recommendations of what to buy?
I love my pour over. My wife ordered the stand from some place in Oregon. The "cup" that holds the filter is Hario, I believe, as are the filters. The stand is dark brown wood. I boil my water in a tea kettle.

Here's my stand. My filter holder does not reach that far down under the top shelf of the stand.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So, basically just a fancy Mr. Coffee?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there more to pour over > drip than "you hit a wider range of grounds"?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB_skin_test wrote:So, basically just a fancy Mr. Coffee?
And you have to do all of the heating and pouring yourself.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Is there more to pour over > drip than "you hit a wider range of grounds"?
Not sure, the wife thought it looked cool, and that her coffee drinker husband would like it. I do.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I spilled a cup of coffee all over my desk this morning.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hole is my "permanent" gold cone filter. I'll have to muddle through somehow.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote:My drip coffee maker is about to die, and I'm thinking about buying a pour-over brewer because I think the guy from Dangerous Grounds said it's the best home method of making coffee. Anyone do this or have recommendations of what to buy?
I bought one and it wasn't worth it. My biggest issue was it was never warm enough after the process.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Starbucks clover machine is the truth. They don't have them in most locations but if you find one try it out.

They have a bunch of different floating roasts. I prefer the espresso roast w/ two shots of espresso.
oh shit...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

teeteebee wrote:Starbucks clover machine is the truth. They don't have them in most locations but if you find one try it out.

They have a bunch of different floating roasts. I prefer the espresso roast w/ two shots of espresso.
That sounds a hell of a lot like the "cerrano".

Last time I had a reward on my card, I picked the most expensive variety on the Clover list and got a Venti. Ended up being $5+ cup of coffee.

Also, my filter is holding up well enough to get me through today and tomorrow. New one here by Monday, thanks Amazon.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How hot is this?

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

teeteebee wrote:Starbucks clover machine is the truth. They don't have them in most locations but if you find one try it out.

Agreed. When I want to treat myself I get one of the better beans made with the clover.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:How hot is this?

According to the website, exactly 200 degrees. I would love to compare this thing to a standard drip and see how much different it is.

Ratio is smarter than your average coffee maker. Beneath the exterior is precise brewing science, automated. Ratio is equipped with a powerful heating element. Where lesser machines struggle to maintain the optimum temperature - brewing either too hot or too cold - Ratio consistently delivers water at the ideal temperature of 200°.

Inspired by the precision of manual brewing with pourover kettles, Ratio uses a unique showerhead design to uniformly saturate the coffee grounds. This means a more complex cup of coffee for you - without extra complexity in your routine.

Hot water poured over fresh roasted coffee causes a bubbly interaction called a "bloom." The control board of Ratio applies a bloom cycle that allows the bloom to settle down before delivering the rest of the hot water. The result? More evenly extracted grounds and a more amazing cup of coffee.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've never been a coffee guy, ever. I'll drink it, but only when it's nearby and available. I won't go out of my way for coffee for any reason.

Recently, however, I've been drinking it at work because it's there. I fill up my Contigo with black coffee and add a couple cocoa packets. This leads me to the idea of getting a Keurig or some other coffee contraption. I get the feeling, like with any trendy item, that the coffee in a Keurig is so-so and you are paying too much per K-cup. My neighbors next door have a machine that grinds the beans and then makes a cup after they are ground up. My neighbor across the street has, I believe, a French press. So there seem to be plenty of ways to run water through grounds.

There's also the issue that I live off base and any non dual voltage machine means that I have to use a transformer (Keurigs are 1500W. So at a minimum I'd want to use a 2000W.) Also, as that info graphic note, Germany is the 2nd highest importer of coffee. It's expensive here and I'm rationed only so much per month on base (yea, really). So what exactly is my best option here? Get a Mr. Coffee and a big ass can of Yuban with the appropriate filters? Or something else?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just making coffee for yourself? I'd get a stovetop espresso maker, pour over, or a French press.

Drip is ok coffee, but if you're only drinking every once in awhile, have to pay more to get it to work, etc. why not just get something that just allows you to boil water on the stove?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Keurig's are the Devil. They taste like shit, end up costing $50/pound for coffee, create unnecessary waste that isn't biodegradable and best of all, when you funnel burning hot water through plastic, some of the chemicals leak into your coffee. Plus, the K-Cups are going to become our evil overlords:

I'm not a big coffee snob, not nearly as much as with beer, anyways, but I don't understand how anyone can drink the K-cups. We have one at work, and I will go out and buy rather that drink it. And if I don't have time, I'll just drink tea. It just tastes bitter and stale, plus we only have that non-dairy creamers that taste just as bad.

I don't get the convenience argument for home users. It doesn't take much effort to brew coffee. My wife just bought me a Cuisanart that makes great coffee. It grinds itself, which may be the difference. I think I ground too fine, and claims to have better temperature controls. Either way, this machine is awesome. I always used milk and sugar, and now I just don't need to add anything.

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/coff ... 650bc.html
-Pruitt