Coffee Thread, The

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Coffee Thread, The

Post by Sabo »

I think Keurig's make sense if you drink one or two cups of coffee a day. I don't think the coffee it makes is awful, but I'm with you in your complaints about the wastefulness of K-cup coffee brewers.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:I think Keurig's make sense if you drink one or two cups of coffee a day. I don't think the coffee it makes is awful, but I'm with you in your complaints about the wastefulness of K-cup coffee brewers.
I've heard several people say drip coffee is wasteful because they drink one or two cups then dump the rest of the pot. Why don't they just make less? Baffles me. I think fresh ground makes a huge difference, so maybe the difference between Keurig and buying ground beans isn't as big. Which leads me to a longtime complaint. Why do grocery stores give continuously less shelf space to whole beans and more to ground? I know most stores got rid if the giant red grinders many years ago, but I feel like this trend keeps growing. Even worse is seeingke all of the "single origin" and fancy coffees, and they only come in ground.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone know anything about the Kitchenaid pour over machine? On one hand, it sounds oxymoronic. On the other, there's no reason it couldn't be automated.

Here: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/produc ... ee-brewer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

French press or stovetop:

A Keurig or drip machine will be limiting if you develop more of a taste for coffee. And they cost more and deduct style points.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I loved this thing like a GD child until it bit the dust due to a bad GFCI circuit.

Expensive, but oh-so-worth-it for a house with 2 people who need at least 2 or 3 cups in the AM to get moving.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I use a Keurig machine for my two cups a day, in a way that I think works great. I don't use the k-cups. I use my own good coffee, and put the coffee in little wire mesh strainers that are the size of k-cups (a couple came with the machine). It is essentially a little French press, that way. It tastes pretty good, it is simple and fast, and no waste other than the grounds.

My wife does the pour over method for her coffee, and that just takes too long and the coffee isn't hot anymore by the time you are done making it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ive never had much success using ground coffee in my keurig. Seems to burn too easily.

I only buy the starbucks k-cups. So many bad k-cup varieties out there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I know I've whined about Starbucks leaky lids somewhere in here (the Swamp) before, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I noticed they have new (to me?) lids, and no more leaks! Unfortunately, I noticed they were new not because they don't leak but because they're fucking impossible to remove, but until the first time I spill coffee on myself when I crush a cup trying to get the lid off, I'll take it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote:I know I've whined about Starbucks leaky lids somewhere in here (the Swamp) before, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I noticed they have new (to me?) lids, and no more leaks! Unfortunately, I noticed they were new not because they don't leak but because they're fucking impossible to remove, but until the first time I spill coffee on myself when I crush a cup trying to get the lid off, I'll take it.
I noticed this yesterday. Was on a work trip and just wanted to put a bit vanilla in the coffee. Thought it was just a bad batch of lids.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

One of my first purchases when I got back stateside was a coffee maker. It's a regular drip, plus K cup, plus mesh screen all in one variant and it's great.

As for the coffee? There happened to be a coffee and chocolate festival in March so I got to sample stuff from all over.

The featured vendor was Deathwish Coffee. Pretty good stuff.

Also there was Caveman Coffee. They are owned by local ABQ celebs/mma guys Tait Fletcher and Keith Jardine. Really, really cool company overall.

And the selection was simply massive. Not sure what spurred such market for coffee to this magnitude, but it seemed like everyone has access to Arabica beans from all over South America. ABQ and I'm guessing nearly anywhere else with this hipster vibe has their coffee shops.

Another company I like that's bad ass and veteran owned and influenced is called Black Rifle Coffee. I bought some from them recently.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

John, order some coffee from Dean's Beans in MA sometime. They allow you to select the mix of bean varieties and roasts for your personalized bag of coffee. Plus fair trade and very reasonably priced.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:John, order some coffee from Dean's Beans in MA sometime. They allow you to select the mix of bean varieties and roasts for your personalized bag of coffee. Plus fair trade and very reasonably priced.
I'm sure that coffee is good, but surely he can find a place he likes that is local to him in NM and that roasts it fresh.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Honestly, my pallet isn't sophisticated enough to really differentiate between the beans and the roasts and all that.

So, I'll get through the bags I have now and we'll see. It looks pretty cool, but I have no fucking clue what means what and what I'll like. It's very much like wine in that respect. And that is "dry red."

In my world it's either leaded or unleaded. Deathwish is very much leaded. Caveman added the MCT oil which was cute, but ultimately extensive and novelty. And Black Rifle is all over everywhere on veteran pages I like and see. There were some places locally at that festival that seemed cool though, but they all kinda ran together.

But thanks for the suggestion though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Yet I'm supposed to trust your palate and Belgian beers?

/s
Last edited by Rush2112 on Fri May 06, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If you go to Starbucks and don't want ice in your drink, you could either request "no ice", or sue them for $5 mil.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hi, my coffee maker sorta caught on fire a few weeks back and I need a new one. I'm not doing pour-over or french press every weekday AM so hit me with your automatics.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Hi, my coffee maker sorta caught on fire a few weeks back and I need a new one. I'm not doing pour-over or french press every weekday AM so hit me with your automatics.
Some of us aren't as lazy as you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like this guy ...
Brontoburglar wrote:Coffee concentrate, milk, protein powder.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Concentrate?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Where'd my avatar go?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:Hi, my coffee maker sorta caught on fire a few weeks back and I need a new one. I'm not doing pour-over or french press every weekday AM so hit me with your automatics.
Whichever one you get, get one with a thermal carafe. You can drink warm-to-hot coffee all day long and it doesn't get that burned taste. I have a Cuisinart I bought from Costco a couple of years ago and it's worked well.

Here's one on Amazon that's like mine.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We've had this baby for decades and it still makes great coffee and espresso. It wasn't expensive, either.
(We were given a Kuerig machine and used it for awhile. Then, said fuck it, and went back to this one.)

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Gevalia used to have a deal where you would subscribe to their coffee and they would send you a free coffee machine. Cancel after one month and you get a decent machine for the cost of a pound or two of beans.
http://www.gevalia.com/

something like this..but just google it
http://gevaliacoffeeclub.net/
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Best one I've ever owned bar none until a power surge killed it. BSFGF would not hear of spending this much money on another one so now I have a shitty Mr Coffee one.

Buy this.

https://homecatalog.bunn.com/product/Ho ... 38300-0067

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Like this guy ...
Brontoburglar wrote:Coffee concentrate, milk, protein powder.
It's now even better with spinach, ice and greek yogurt
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

P.D.X. wrote:Concentrate?
this
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote:It's now even better with spinach, ice and greek yogurt
I imagine that wouldn't even stop on its way out my ass.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote:
Whichever one you get, get one with a thermal carafe. You can drink warm-to-hot coffee all day long and it doesn't get that burned taste. I have a Cuisinart I bought from Costco a couple of years ago and it's worked well.

Here's one on Amazon that's like mine.
Had mine list this for 12 years now. Still makes great coffee.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:It's now even better with spinach, ice and greek yogurt
I imagine that wouldn't even stop on its way out my ass.
fibrous
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Of course, that's called a smoothie, not coffee.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Advertising works. This company popped up all in my Facebook and Instagram feeds for the last few days. I bought a few choices from them.

https://www.bonescoffee.com
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:Advertising works. This company popped up all in my Facebook and Instagram feeds for the last few days. I bought a few choices from them.

20 bucks for a pound of preground coffee? How much is the US military paying you people to stand around all day?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Advertising works. This company popped up all in my Facebook and Instagram feeds for the last few days. I bought a few choices from them.

20 bucks for a pound of preground coffee? How much is the US military paying you people to stand around all day?
I'm not like other military members. I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I'm not like other military members. I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
Not jelly, just never have gotten the expensive coffee thing. 150% more expensive than your average bag of high brand name seems excessive. You do you though. I don't want people giving me shit for buying good bourbon.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

Not jelly, just never have gotten the expensive coffee thing. 150% more expensive than your average bag of high brand name seems excessive. You do you though. I don't want people giving me shit for buying good bourbon.
It'll be a one off purchase. I bought 4 bags of Black Rifle back in May. Two of those bags are still in the freezer. They are the more palatable $12.99 a bag. I just happened to see this and though "Well, why not..."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

It'll be a one off purchase. I bought 4 bags of Black Rifle back in May. Two of those bags are still in the freezer. They are the more palatable $12.99 a bag. I just happened to see this and though "Well, why not..."
I admit part of my bias comes from the 5 douchiest people I know going whole hog on Deathwish or whatever that coffee was that apparently turned you into an MMA fighter. It's coffee people, shut the fuck up.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
So, so much. Not like wishing I were back to single or kid-less, but back to where I had more than enough to cover whatever frivolous spending I wanted.

(For example: I want a smoker. A smoker costs "only" $300 but I've yet to be able to justify it to myself. Until Q hit kindergarten, daycare was costing me ~10.4 smokers every single month. Cannot wait to be public school rich in a few years.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote:I admit part of my bias comes from the 5 douchiest people I know going whole hog on Deathwish or whatever that coffee was that apparently turned you into an MMA fighter. It's coffee people, shut the fuck up.
Bought a bag of theirs too back in April because they were a feature invitee (along with Caveman Coffee) at the ABQ Chocolate and Coffee festival. Their bags were marked down a bit and I had enough free samples to justify the purchase. I won't order from them again though. I didn't get the buzz of extra caffeine they advertised.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
So, so much. Not like wishing I were back to single or kid-less, but back to where I had more than enough to cover whatever frivolous spending I wanted.

(For example: I want a smoker. A smoker costs "only" $300 but I've yet to be able to justify it to myself. Until Q hit kindergarten, daycare was costing me ~10.4 smokers every single month. Cannot wait to be public school rich in a few years.)
I bought a smoker a long, long while back, used it one time for a brisket that turned out meh, and accidentally left it outside and it got grimy. I ended up cleaning it (took forever) and leaving it at my buddy's place for him because I moved away later the next year.

Also, holy fuck is child care expensive. Nearly 40 grand a year? Seriously? Did I do that math right? I don't make a ton of money a year. Maxing out my TSP at 18 grand leaves me living on 36 grand, roughly. And I gotta pay bills. No kids until I retire.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It was expensive enough around here that my wife quit her job and stayed home, watching other kids until we had one in school and she got an offer she couldn't refuse. I am prett sure it would be more up in mister ds neck of the woods.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.