Re: Coffee Thread, The

Post by sancarlos »

Nice work, Johnnie.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

My big Xmas gift from the wife was a nice Breville espresso machine. I love it. Love it. Two flat whites every morning before work is ace. I’m getting better with it, though don’t be expecting any latte art unless it’s weird shaped dicks.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm I’m getting better with it, though don’t be expecting any latte art unless it’s weird shaped dicks.
Which was her second, smaller gift?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm My big Xmas gift from the wife was a nice Breville espresso machine. I love it. Love it. Two flat whites every morning before work is ace. I’m getting better with it, though don’t be expecting any latte art unless it’s weird shaped dicks.
Is that a kiskha?
Last edited by A_B on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:43 pm
Square Rob wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm I’m getting better with it, though don’t be expecting any latte art unless it’s weird shaped dicks.
Which was her second, smaller gift?
They don’t call me hook shot at the massage parlor for nothing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You know damn well the size of a "cup" doesn't matter in practical use. You just kind of know how much it makes (or fill it up if you're making for multiple people), you have your own preference for how many beans/how much ground you use, then you just pour what seems like the right amount of dairy-ish liquid and or sweetener in there. It's not baking!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

SO SHOULD A PINT CAN OF BEER BE 14.5 OUNCES BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET A PINT AT A BAR ITS NOT ACTUALLY FILLED TO THE TOP WITH POST-FOAM LIQUID???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

First, I do get your point...

But we're not talking about buying an inconsistent amount of beer here. We're buying the empty can once and then filling it up every day and after the first time we do so we know exactly how much the can holds relative to what we pour the can into.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Don't get me started on Tervis's "16 oz" tumblers. WHY THE HELL WULD YOU USE THE EXTERNAL CUP'S CAPACITY AND NOT WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY PUT THE LIQUID!??!?!?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Grabbed a bag of Ecuador Pichincha from the back of TJs where they have the little section of limited edition crap and it's really nice.

(parenthetical because not coffee but they also had vanilla scones back there - Starbucks style, though maybe the glaze is a little sweeter - and the kids loved them)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ooh, I forgot this thread existed.

New Mexico piñon coffee is amazing and they deliver to APO.

A bag of it goes for so long with me too because I'll only make a cup every couple days with my French press.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:27 am(parenthetical because not coffee but they also had vanilla scones back there - Starbucks style, though maybe the glaze is a little sweeter - and the kids loved them)
(Able Baker, dude. Although vanilla has been pretty rare in recent months.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:28 am
rass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:27 am(parenthetical because not coffee but they also had vanilla scones back there - Starbucks style, though maybe the glaze is a little sweeter - and the kids loved them)
(Able Baker, dude. Although vanilla has been pretty rare in recent months.)
Was there VD weekend and they didn't have the flavor cupcake my wife wanted. She still likes it there despite that.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Last year, when the world closed, I discovered that I could tolerate cheap, grocery-store coffee. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I do miss the good stuff sometimes, tho.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I don't get expensive coffee. I grind mine fresh everyday but just buy the $8.00/lb bulk Columbian from the grocery.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 amVD... f...or... my wife. She still likes it there despite that.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One of the rare memories I have of doing something unknowingly awkward as a kid only to later realize why it was awkward (the latter is the rare part) was hanging out at the bookstore at the college where my dad worked and innocently telling my mom that I found a "Have a Happy VD" card funny and not understanding why everyone else thought *that* was funny.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its because they all knew your mom had VDs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 amWas there VD weekend and they didn't have the flavor cupcake my wife wanted. She still likes it there despite that.
Which one? There's one that's almond cake, espresso icing and a little choc in the middle that's tremendous and they very rarely have german chocolate. Its not a place you go with an order in mind aside from like the three things that are always on the menu.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 am
rass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 amWas there VD weekend and they didn't have the flavor cupcake my wife wanted. She still likes it there despite that.
Which one? There's one that's almond cake, espresso icing and a little choc in the middle that's tremendous and they very rarely have german chocolate. Its not a place you go with an order in mind aside from like the three things that are always on the menu.
She said mocha so I assume that one. We were at the PO (the closest open one on Saturdays) and while she waited there I struck out at the bakery. I think they said they had something mocha (maybe mini pound cakes?) but they had to be bought in relative bulk.

We then tried Yellow Rose just because we hadn't been yet and they had sold out and closed up early.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whoa, so we were within 500 feet of each other???
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh no, again?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're staring at Yellow Rose's front door, my street is first one on the left.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There is a little coffee shop in the industrial part of town here run by a Peruvian family that sells great beans that they import from Peru and roast fresh. Really good and not expensive.

Also, I’ll second Johnnie’s endorsement of the coffee with piñon they sell in New Mexico.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

haven't had the piñon but gonna be down in NM in a few weeks
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 pm haven't had the piñon but gonna be down in NM in a few weeks

You can find it at Whole Foods and like here. I like it, but I much prefer it mixed with regular beans rather than full piñon.

and this image is from Amazon.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bapo! wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am Last year, when the world closed, I discovered that I could tolerate cheap, grocery-store coffee. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I do miss the good stuff sometimes, tho.
When I worked for the Park Service we basically spent the winter months doing research and drinking shit loads of coffee. Once in a while, someone would bring something good in, but generally, it was the giant tins of something. The old ass conservator told me to add a pinch of salt to the cheap ass coffee and it smooths it out and improves the flavour. I don't drink much shite coffee anymore, but it has always worked when I do!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:48 pm
bapo! wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am Last year, when the world closed, I discovered that I could tolerate cheap, grocery-store coffee. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I do miss the good stuff sometimes, tho.
When I worked for the Park Service we basically spent the winter months doing research and drinking shit loads of coffee. Once in a while, someone would bring something good in, but generally, it was the giant tins of something. The old ass conservator told me to add a pinch of salt to the cheap ass coffee and it smooths it out and improves the flavour. I don't drink much shite coffee anymore, but it has always worked when I do!
Thanks, but I don't need any tricks. I actually enjoy this stuff now. Well, maybe somewhat south of enjoy, but definitely north of tolerate. (Also, I don't have any salt.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wait ... what?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 pm haven't had the piñon but gonna be down in NM in a few weeks
Rush is right about getting bags at the supermarket. The official store is here if you wanted to check it out. It's very small, but it's nice.

New Mexico Piñon Coffee
+1 505-298-1964
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CrGLiV78YB5jmTKb8

And there are 4 Piñon Coffee houses throughout ABQ.

Other coffee shops I recommend: Humble, Michael Thomas, Little Bear, Blunt Bros (even if the dude is very fucking weird), Rust is Gold, and longtime local spots Satellite & Flying Star. (Both of those are really nice lunch spots too.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:50 pm
Rush is right about getting bags at the supermarket. The official store is here if you wanted to check it out. It's very small, but it's nice.

New Mexico Piñon Coffee
+1 505-298-1964
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CrGLiV78YB5jmTKb8

Other coffee shops I recommend: Humble, Michael Thomas, Little Bear, Blunt Bros (even if the dude is very fucking weird), Rust is Gold, and longtime local spots Satellite & Flying Star. (Both of those are really nice lunch spots too.)
Know any in Santa Fe?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Iconik & 35° North
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The metal strainer rusted out so I've gone with instant the past couple weeks. Not missing as much as I thought I might. Smell mostly.

Also the oddly hoodish gas station a lap or so from the house turns out fresh brewed excellent coffee. Who woulda thunk. I know the credibility is a bit shot with the above but it's better than Dunkins and just a bit below starbucks. Tastes like local fancy pants coffee shop. 3rd time ive walked in the am. Nice good morning before the chaos. Four quarters each time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nearly out of beans at both home and office. Thanks for the reminder, HC.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

No Java Joe's? I gotta rep them as they're owned by a buddy from college. Could be a tad too hippy for Mr. Air Force though.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:29 am

No Java Joe's? I gotta rep them as they're owned by a buddy from college. Could be a tad too hippy for Mr. Air Force though.
Hahaha. Just googled the location. I barely ever went to that part of town. Once you get into the places you and your friends go to, other spots that are similar just don't really exist. Unless they are on your way to/from work or each other's houses/hang out spots.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

No wonder he wants to bite off people's kneecaps.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If he's actually a good dude who just happens to be a complete maniac he could end up being one of my favorite personalities in the league. Poor Lions fans deserve something nice like that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got this from TJs at some point, mostly just because I was surprised to see coffee without a TJs logo on it. I usually prefer darker roasts, but it was really good. I have a little manual burr grinder that I use every morning, and grinding those beans was noticeably more labor-intensive than what I usually drink.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Were the beans waxy/shiny? I bought a pound from a small place here outside of Asheville recently and they definitely take longer to grind than my usual. I'm also not a big fan of them. They're overroasted, kind of like Starbucks.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.