Coffee Thread, The

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Coffee Thread, The

Post by mister d »

The truly fucked up thing is when you take it down to an hourly rate, its a downright steal.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That and you are more or less blindly entrusting them with you most treasured possession. And expecting that it be returned in the same condition... actually better because there has to be an academic component. So yeah, insanely expensive but somehow underpriced.

My coffee pot started housing roach like insects because of the warmth and it just grossed me out so much that I threw it away even after the infestation ended. So I just pour hot water into the reusable strainer directly into my cup. Isn't convenient and makes a shitty cup. Going on two years now though. Something about it is most appropriate for my mornings
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
So, so much. Not like wishing I were back to single or kid-less, but back to where I had more than enough to cover whatever frivolous spending I wanted.

(For example: I want a smoker. A smoker costs "only" $300 but I've yet to be able to justify it to myself. Until Q hit kindergarten, daycare was costing me ~10.4 smokers every single month. Cannot wait to be public school rich in a few years.)
1.) Even with public schools, I'm paying over $1000/month for aftercare at the Y. Then there are costs for sports leagues, uniforms, other activities... This shit never ends. It does give me an appreciation for everything my parents did, and I now know they were doing it on a very tight budget.

2.) I thought you had one of them Green Eggs.

3.) $20 is a lot for a pound of coffee. I hope that includes shipping. I waffled on $16 on Saturday, but figured it was like being on vacation, and I'm debating expensing it. If any West Coast people are near a Phillz Coffee, it is well worth it. ay only be SF, but that is the best beans I've ever purchased.

4.) Who gave BSF shit for buying good bourbon? Fuck you, whoever you are. Though your money would be better spent on a good scotch or rye.

5.) In answering the actual thread question, I have this Cuisinart DGB-625BC. Makes a better cup of coffee than the super fancy coffee/espresso maker we got as a wedding gift, but the built-in grinder is annoying to clean. Moisture gets in, so the grindings get caked onto every surface of the grinder.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A cuisinart is what caught fire so I'm a little tentative with them right now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I save my money, have no kids out of wedlock, and have no ex wives. So, I can do that. You jelly?
So, so much. Not like wishing I were back to single or kid-less, but back to where I had more than enough to cover whatever frivolous spending I wanted.

(For example: I want a smoker. A smoker costs "only" $300 but I've yet to be able to justify it to myself. Until Q hit kindergarten, daycare was costing me ~10.4 smokers every single month. Cannot wait to be public school rich in a few years.)
The preschool graduation raise is a glorious thing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Used the Aeropress a bunch this weekend while camping. Still need to hone my skillz with it. Also, who only drinks 8 oz. of coffee?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:

4.) Who gave BSF shit for buying good bourbon? Fuck you, whoever you are. Though your money would be better spent on a good scotch or rye.

No one did. I could just see the comparison coming. "wouldn't you spend 2-3 times as much to get some Blanton's over Jim Beam?"

And the answer is very obviously: sometimes.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:A cuisinart is what caught fire so I'm a little tentative with them right now.
My first Cuisinart caught fire as well, but the thing was so awesome before the fire I decided to overlook that little fact. No regrets.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I love to drink lots of coffee but I don't like too heavy of a caffeine kick. So we buy both regular and decaf whole beans, and grind them together 50/50.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:I love to drink lots of coffee but I don't like too heavy of a caffeine kick. So we buy both regular and decaf whole beans, and grind them together 50/50.
Why do you hate America?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

My wife is a coffee afficianado. Buys excellent, fresh $15/pound beans from a friend's roasting business each week. Stores them on the countertop in the original bag. Grinds beans them every morning. Uses a Cuisinart to do the brewing. But she still finds the coffee lacking on many days.

I wonder if improving her grinder would help. She uses an old Braun blade grinder. I've read of burr grinders that are said to create more consistently sized coffee fragments. I'd appreciate advice on this, or other aspects of coffee production.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:
I wonder if improving her grinder would help. She uses an old Braun blade grinder. I've read of burr grinders that are said to create more consistently sized coffee fragments. I'd appreciate advice on this, or other aspects of coffee production.

Go burr and get her an Aeropress.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Do you have personal experience with a burr press improving coffee taste?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:Do you have personal experience with a burr press improving coffee taste?
Well...no.

I plateaued at "good beans" and "blade grinder" some number of years ago even though the jump in quality from what I was drinking before (and still drink at work) was remarkable. Maybe when my parents insist on buying me something for Christmas this year and I can't think of anything I'll remember this and then report back to you in late December.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I went through a coffee press phase, and i had a blade grinder that a friend said was ruining my coffee. He brought his burr grinder in and...I really couldn't tell a difference. I think it's all about the beans.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DC47 wrote:Do you have personal experience with a burr press improving coffee taste?
I do. I use a burr grinder every morning and a wooden pour over stand that my wife bought me for a holiday a few years back. I've got an Aeropress, and am learning the ropes. It isn't that hard to make coffee with it, I just haven't perfected it yet.

ETA - the coffee tastes better with the burr grinder than my previous blade grinder.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Do you people really only have 8-12 ounces of coffee in the morning? That's the primary drawback of press or pour-over to me. I need my half-pot.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The reason I went away from the press was because I needed 3-4cups a day. Down to closer to 2 these days.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:Do you people really only have 8-12 ounces of coffee in the morning? That's the primary drawback of press or pour-over to me. I need my half-pot.
You can pour over way more than 8 ounces. We get roughly 30 ounces through the pour over. It's not an issue there, like it is for Aeropress and French press.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What is there about the pour-over technique that makes it superior to whatever the Cuisinart is doing when we push the button?
Last edited by DC47 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:What is there about the pour-over technique that makes it superior to whatever the Cuisinart is doing when we push the button
What a nihilist.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

And a Michigan voter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I went with the Oxo 9 cup once it dropped $50 plus 20% off. This'll be hit or miss.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oxo. (Scoffs).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So far, so good. I enjoyed drinking the coffee this AM!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

YES: Starbucks finally moved out the Christmas Blend (yuck)

NO: My cup of dark roast was pretty damn lukewarm

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Trying a nitro draft cold brew for the first time. Really good, and akin to beer, has a nice texture and thickness. At $5/12oz (pre-tax/tip) it's not going to be an everyday thing though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote:Trying a nitro draft cold brew for the first time. Really good, and akin to beer, has a nice texture and thickness. At $5/12oz (pre-tax/tip) it's not going to be an everyday thing though.

Is this from the place way down on Pearl? I believe everything they do is cold brew. Would love to go there more, but a tad far to skip down for a cuppa.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote:Trying a nitro draft cold brew for the first time. Really good, and akin to beer, has a nice texture and thickness. At $5/12oz (pre-tax/tip) it's not going to be an everyday thing though.

Big fan but the price is a bit steep. I have had some decent can-based stuff from the grocery store. Guess it use the same technology as the Guinness in a can.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote:

Is this from the place way down on Pearl? I believe everything they do is cold brew. Would love to go there more, but a tad far to skip down for a cuppa.

From The Cup but it seems like there's a few other places that are slinging it these days.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

For someone who really likes hot coffee in all forms (and coffee ice cream and affogato), I cannot stand iced coffee. Every cup I've ever tried has left me way too jittery, and I don't really like the flavor.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I very much like both but I judge the hell out of anyone who drinks iced coffee in the fall/winter.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:For someone who really likes hot coffee in all forms (and coffee ice cream and affogato), I cannot stand iced coffee. Every cup I've ever tried has left me way too jittery, and I don't really like the flavor.

This. Can't get down with iced coffee. Just black coffee, not scalding hot, and I'm good.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tomorrow will be day three (and a half) of the in-office coffee maker being busted. I don't believe anyone has even been in to look at it, much less replace it. I bought SB yesterday (after forgetting that the maker broke late Monday afternoon AM, so I had to run back out after getting to the office), and brought a thermos cup from home this morning (only possible because I blew off the gym). Someone took it upon themselves to bring a Dunkin boxofjoe this morning, and I think people are getting cranky. Just now the receptionist cut me off and said "no coffee tomorrow" when she realized what I was starting to ask her about.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:Tomorrow will be day three (and a half) of the in-office coffee maker being busted. I don't believe anyone has even been in to look at it, much less replace it. I bought SB yesterday (after forgetting that the maker broke late Monday afternoon AM, so I had to run back out after getting to the office), and brought a thermos cup from home this morning (only possible because I blew off the gym). Someone took it upon themselves to bring a Dunkin boxofjoe this morning, and I think people are getting cranky. Just now the receptionist cut me off and said "no coffee tomorrow" when she realized what I was starting to ask her about.

Is hot hot water available? If so, you could make a french press at the office pretty easily.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No! Unless I want to microwave it, I guess.

(and buy a French press)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fuck decaf.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nestle buying Blue Bottle. Everything I drink is being taken over by corporations.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote:Fuck decaf.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…