Dinner

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Dinner

Post by bfj »

No love for the crab and shrimp tots?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:55 pm Jut for fun..what would you order at the place I’m going to this evening. Apps, Entree and Dessert please. I don’t eat beef, but don’t let that influence your choices.

http://www.harrymanhouse.com/menus/dinner/
If it was me, I'd start with the Mexican corn, or maybe mussels. I'd try the Chicken Schnitzel, and finish with Bananas Foster.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:28 pm No love for the crab and shrimp tots?
Absolutely but I feel like whenever I do that sort of ordering a heavy plate can weigh it all down. As a walk-in-for-one-app pick, it’s them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Farm board and tomato and burrata salad
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 pm Love this game ...

Looks like a menu where I’d try to get someone to go full halfsies on a lot of the smaller plates.
Totally, I'm down for full halfsies. I'd order any entree except the spaghetti squash linguine. I like spaghetti squash, but not at a cost of any of the other entrees.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:28 pm No love for the crab and shrimp tots?
Bland and boring.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s shit. High variance dish but the good version would be so good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:55 pm Jut for fun..what would you order at the place I’m going to this evening. Apps, Entree and Dessert please. I don’t eat beef, but don’t let that influence your choices.

http://www.harrymanhouse.com/menus/dinner/
My house growing up was .5 mile (and a single turn) from the Harryman House. Never went there until I was 21 and meeting some friends for a drink around Thanksgiving.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Making some pulled pork in the slow cooker today and wow does my house smell phenomenal right now.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:19 pm Making some pulled pork in the slow cooker today and wow does my house smell phenomenal right now.
I made some last week, but I cook the pork overnight so I remember waking up in the middle of the night and smelling meat cooking and for a split second thought I might be having a stroke.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

New chicken place opened up around corner. Soul food. Amazing. Spinoff of a place in Cincinnati. So so good. Wife and I ate our fill for twelve bucks no joke and we are full.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Give me the full order.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I got spicy wing and thigh with cornbread and side of red beans and rice. Wife got spicy tenders with mashed potatoes and corn bread and we also added on a side of fried okra. So so good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That sounds great.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Made Basically's pasta pomodoro tonight. It was good, but I cooked the pasta too long, and early, and it was softer than I would have liked. Masked it a little with extra parmesan in the mix, but not my best effort.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was at a Polish wedding over the weekend and late in the night the mother of the bride brought out a bigos she had cooked, which is basically a Polish "hunter's stew" and it's probably the best stew/soup I've ever eaten in my life. Made with a couple of types of pork including kielbasa, cabbage, sauerkraut, a bunch of veggies, etc.

One of those times when you eat something and you're thinking "where has this been all my life?"

Gonna try to approximate it here in a couple of weeks when I get back from a couple business trips.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:24 pm Was at a Polish wedding over the weekend and late in the night the mother of the bride brought out a bigos she had cooked, which is basically a Polish "hunter's stew" and it's probably the best stew/soup I've ever eaten in my life. Made with a couple of types of pork including kielbasa, cabbage, sauerkraut, a bunch of veggies, etc.

One of those times when you eat something and you're thinking "where has this been all my life?"

Gonna try to approximate it here in a couple of weeks when I get back from a couple business trips.
cerrano has a recipe (perfected, I believe, with the assistance of the Polish butcher where he moonlights)

I first tried it 3 years ago at a wonderfully old school local Polish bar/hall/restaurant that sadly closed shortly thereafter (after being in business for decades). cerrano's obsession began there.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If he wants to send a recipe my way I'm ears. The interesting thing from doing some research about it online is that there's an infinite number of variations on it and largely depends on how your mom/grandma made it and with what ingredients, etc.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gave him a heads up. He likes meat.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm Made Basically's pasta pomodoro tonight. It was good, but I cooked the pasta too long, and early, and it was softer than I would have liked. Masked it a little with extra parmesan in the mix, but not my best effort.
This was really fucking good cold the next day.

link
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm If he wants to send a recipe my way I'm ears. The interesting thing from doing some research about it online is that there's an infinite number of variations on it and largely depends on how your mom/grandma made it and with what ingredients, etc.
Get Cerrano to post that recipe, I love bigos. When I worked at my old job, I used to get lunch fairly often at a Polish deli. The couple that ran it looked like they were in their 80s, but were probably much younger. She barely spoke a word of English, and I never heard him speak at all. The food wasn't even all that good, but there was something so satisfying about a home cooked meal from an Old World grandmother. I'd always get a small soup, and bigos was a rare treat. They usually had a cabbage side with sausage or various pork bits mixed in that was similar. I wonder if that place is still open.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

bigos has indeed become an obsession, and is the reason i work summers at my butcher. i started going to the butcher regularly right around the time that rass introduced me to the polish restaurant, and when i learned he was polish i asked him about bigos and we started talking about cooking in general and i loved going there. in 2016, i asked about the help wanted sign and that was that.

the template i've used is here but, like you said brian there are infinite variations because it is basically the post-holiday stew where you throw in all your porky/meaty leftovers with the cabbage and sauerkraut, along with whatever else is in your fridge that you'd rather not throw out. it should be a little sour, a little sweet, and then the rest is up to you.

when i saute the pork (usually diced pork butt or tenderloin) i add a pretty good dollop of duck fat, and i add a bunch of ketchup along with the tomato paste, as well as jelly (if i have it) crystal hot sauce (which i did this past week and i loved it), and if i have them, i'll add raisins or prunes. someone suggested this week some that i add some plum. in poland, i think a lot of bigos has mushrooms, (which i just learned this week) so i am going to try some dried mushrooms in water, and then add the mushroom water after everything is mixed.

anything goes with this dish, so make it, and enjoy.

by the way syb, where is that place? not many places like that.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, this thread can make me hungry!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm

It's in Clifton. There are at least 5 similar places in Clifton. Polonia Deli was by far the biggest, and the food was technically better, but I always went to the other place.

ETA: Finally figured it out. Karpaty Deli. Seems like it's still open.

ETAA: Fuck, Google search says "permanently closed" in the right corner. Bummed, but I'd be shocked if both of them were still alive 5 years after I last went there.

-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pizza rolls. I had pizza rolls. They were great.

Tomorrow I may have bagel bites. Cause when pizza’s on a bagel you can have pizza anytime.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steamed bagel of course.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 pm
cerrano wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm

It's in Clifton. There are at least 5 similar places in Clifton. Polonia Deli was by far the biggest, and the food was technically better, but I always went to the other place.

ETA: Finally figured it out. Karpaty Deli. Seems like it's still open.

ETAA: Fuck, Google search says "permanently closed" in the right corner. Bummed, but I'd be shocked if both of them were still alive 5 years after I last went there.

Union used to have 5 German butchers back in the day but when rass’s favorite called Lutz’s closed down 5
Years ago, only one remained. These central/eastern shops are a dying breed.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

There were Hatch green chilies at the store yesterday...so tonight, I made chili rellenos, using the Rancho De Chimayo cookbook.

And, for a first time effort, they turned out pretty good.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:24 pm Was at a Polish wedding over the weekend and late in the night the mother of the bride brought out a bigos she had cooked, which is basically a Polish "hunter's stew" and it's probably the best stew/soup I've ever eaten in my life. Made with a couple of types of pork including kielbasa, cabbage, sauerkraut, a bunch of veggies, etc.

Where I grew up they call those a cream can. They put it all in the old big steel milk cans, dig a pit, light a fire, then bury the can on the embers. It’s incredibly good.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm Steamed bagel of course.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

cerrano wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm bigos has indeed become an obsession, and is the reason i work summers at my butcher. i started going to the butcher regularly right around the time that rass introduced me to the polish restaurant, and when i learned he was polish i asked him about bigos and we started talking about cooking in general and i loved going there. in 2016, i asked about the help wanted sign and that was that.

the template i've used is here but, like you said brian there are infinite variations because it is basically the post-holiday stew where you throw in all your porky/meaty leftovers with the cabbage and sauerkraut, along with whatever else is in your fridge that you'd rather not throw out. it should be a little sour, a little sweet, and then the rest is up to you.

when i saute the pork (usually diced pork butt or tenderloin) i add a pretty good dollop of duck fat, and i add a bunch of ketchup along with the tomato paste, as well as jelly (if i have it) crystal hot sauce (which i did this past week and i loved it), and if i have them, i'll add raisins or prunes. someone suggested this week some that i add some plum. in poland, i think a lot of bigos has mushrooms, (which i just learned this week) so i am going to try some dried mushrooms in water, and then add the mushroom water after everything is mixed.

anything goes with this dish, so make it, and enjoy.

OK, I'm taking my first run at making this. It's simmering now. Gonna let everyone get to be good to be good friends in the kettle for the next three hours or so and see how it turns out.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

following
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not gonna lie, it smells incredible. Still a couple hours of simmering to go.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got rye bread?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rye bread would have been perfect. Not too bad for a first time out but needed more pork. Gonna follow the recipe to the letter next time and not add any beef broth.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Making pulled pork tacos for dinner tonight, and the smell of the pork roast in the slow cooker right now makes me wish it was 6 p.m. already.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Fired" up the sous vide for the first time last night and, if time is no constraint, it makes a pretty awesome steak. 7 year old raved and I think it was only partly because she technically gave it to me.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Wife is gone and I’m hungry. What say the swamp to go snag for takeout tonight?

(I need beer or I’d cook)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:55 pm Wife is gone and I’m hungry. What say the swamp to go snag for takeout tonight?

(I need beer or I’d cook)
Can't make it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’ve been informed that this is where I’m eating on Saturday night. Please let me know which way you’d go.